PDA

View Full Version : My .596 rooted is trying to update to the OTA version?

Casey
06-18-2011, 09:20 PM
I'll try and make this as quick as possible as I know nobody wants to read a novel on this.

I was running the leaked .588 rom up until a week or two ago when I flashed the rooted .596 over .588 (via "Method Three" on P3Droid's thread on MDW). Everything was working flawlessly. Stupidly, I assumed I could flash the CRT animation that I had on .588. When I did that I bootlooped and, even more stupidly of me, I had not made a backup prior to that so I had to SBF back to Froyo and start over. No big deal, I SBF'ed prior to running the GB leak so it wasn't anything new to me.

After doing this, I flashed the 2-part rooted .596 with "Method Two" from P3Droid's thread on MDW. Everything was back to normal, or so I thought. A few hours after doing this, I got a notification that an update (ie, the OTA GB update) was available. I did a doubletake, and cancelled the operation. However, I now constantly get "download of update failed" notifications everytime I unlock the phone as it appears it is constantly trying to push the update to me. This obviously didn't happen to me when I just flashed .596 over .588. Has this happened to anyone else? Other than this annoyance the phone appears to run fine...though it does auto-reboot itself a little more often than I'd like (usually when running the music player, though this happened on Froyo as well).
Here's my phone info:
Has this happened to anyone else? Trying to decide whether or not I should try SBFing again and starting over?

Mike7143
06-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Now.... THAT is strange. So you sbf'd, did the 2-part update, and are still getting a notice saying an update was available and it's failing to download... Hmmm, never heard of that.

I'm a mobile man.

fezrock
06-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Try flashing .596 again. If that fails, maybe an sbf is in order. Or you can take the update and sbf. Maybe it'll quit bugging you.

CM4DX all day long...

HarleyDude
06-18-2011, 09:32 PM
No need to SBF. While you were at froyo, your phone downloaded the OTA.Just get rid of it, the prompt will go away

HarleyDude
06-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Two ways to get rid of it.
Use supermanager (or any root access explorer) and navigate to /cache and delete the blur_bunch-of-stuff_update.zip or
Boot into recovery and do a wipe cache

Casey
06-18-2011, 10:25 PM
^ That makes perfect sense, but I booted into clockwork and wiped the cache and I still get the prompt. I'm unsure which directory the /cache is under, can you clarify? (I did a search using supermanager and it came up with 9 folders, none of which had the .zip)

HarleyDude
06-18-2011, 10:36 PM
If you wiped cache, that should do it. Or should have done it. You can try TiBu pro if you have it or install AntTek App manager from the market, then freeze updater and upgrader, that should take care of the prompts

RedBank
06-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Happened to me too...I just froze updater.apk (not upgrader) with TiBu Pro to stop it from happening.

Casey
06-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, they finally went away after freezing those apks.