PDA

View Full Version : What does CM4DX mean for Liberty, Apex, and other roms?

griz.droidx
06-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Just as the title says what will happen to Lib and Apex. I bought Lib, am running Apex, now I really wanna flash CM7. I mean who wouldn't want all those awesome features. What will happen to Lib and Apex, will they incorporate more CM7 stuff into their Roms? How much of those roms are already based on cm7?

Snag
06-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Good question- wadayasay Jrummy?

spodoc
06-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Has anyone heard if jrumny is ok? I follow him on twitter but don't recall any news.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Wulf
06-18-2011, 02:39 PM
No news in that yet. Looks like he's been working on fixing up DROID overclock from what I read.

rustnroll
06-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Seems like CM7 is all I'm seeing on my Twitter feed and around various Android forums. Kinda feels like once CM7 for the DX showed up it blew every ROM out of the water. It's CM this and CM that. Don't get me wrong, after trying it out I can see why it's so talked about :) but it seems like some of the other well-known ROMS got pushed aside. I'm personally running Apex 2.0 RC2 and it's freakin sweet. I might go back to CM7 once all the bugs get sorted out because it was fast... REALLY fast. Anyway, I hope other ROM developers don't get discouraged with the spotlight on CM7. I look forward to new releases of favorite ROMS like Apex, Liberty, and many of Drew Garren's ROMS. His R2D2 was among one of my all time favorites cause I love Star Wars :D

bossco
06-18-2011, 07:10 PM
i like some of the extras from cm7. but i would have to give it like a c- grade. dont release something that is not working yet. fix everything then release and its a solid A+

foebea
06-18-2011, 07:15 PM
They do that too, they're called Finals. This is release candidate zero. Intended for those who want to beta test the latest trials.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Xponentially Better
06-18-2011, 07:22 PM
i like some of the extras from cm7. but i would have to give it like a c- grade. dont release something that is not working yet. fix everything then release and its a solid A+

The release isn't for people like you. It is for the people that want to he the first with new technology, the people that want to run something in the rough and be a part of reporting back to the developer to make the rom better, for people that like to try the next awesome thing and for the ones that can deal with a few bugs and deal with them to gain the other benefits. I'm rockin CM7 and can't find anything that makes it any worse than any other "finished" rom.

Xponentially Better
06-18-2011, 07:23 PM
They do that too, they're called Finals. This is release candidate zero. Intended for those who want to beta test the latest trials.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ninja'd :-( lol

zoe
06-18-2011, 07:31 PM
well only releasing a final might sound nice, but releasing betas and RCs help to find more bugs etc... no single dev can test every possible end user scensrio, case or setup combination. M$, Apple and Google all do it as well. Without community testing we likely wouldn't get half of what we do. Its also part of the nature of open source software as well.

There is no reason to load beta software if you don't want to, less experienced ppl should probably stay away if they aren't sure how to fix things themselves (or how best to ask for help), but knocking a beta release or unconditionally comparing it to other well tested releases is a bit off the mark IMO...

If cvpcs announced he had cm7 running on the DX, and didn't release a beta, he'd either be facing a boatload of ppl calling BS or 100s+ of other ppl begging to get a hold if it.

[Mod Edit] language

jkelley74
06-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Didn't say beta when you downloaded , if you didn't understand beta rough copy, it was meant for people to test , point blank, stop complaining and deal with it

Sent from my droid x running cm7 at 1.25ghz (dddaamnn she fast)

libbydude
06-19-2011, 03:27 AM
I tried cm4dx. I saw the potential and am excited for the final release. I am more excited about the 2nd init though. I hope the reason that everything seemed to screech to a halt after the cm release is because the devs are regrouping.

TideFan22
06-19-2011, 03:45 AM

ITS BETA, its not the final, its put out for people to test. Did u see anywhere where it said final release NO. Don't knock it because its Beta.

Some smooth running Blue Steel CM7

Droid-Xer
06-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Back on topic please. Chances are CM will eventually be the base for all other ROMs. We.might even see more AOSP ROMs like MIUI. CM is the base for many ROMs for the OG Droid. Once the bugs are squished you'll be able to see the big picture.

Xponentially Better
06-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Back on topic please. Chances are CM will eventually be the base for all other ROMs. We.might even see more AOSP ROMs like MIUI. CM is the base for many ROMs for the OG Droid. Once the bugs are squished you'll be able to see the big picture.

That would he cool. So I'm thinking the answer to the question in the op is, well now CM7 will be another addition as well as a solid base for apex, liberty, etc to build even greater roms upon.

griz.droidx
06-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Can't wait to see the big picture.

3rotorRX8
06-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Watch out there lol, be careful what u say on here now, Droid X Forum has apparently turned into CM7 fan boy forum lol. Guessing we can't voice are opinion on here now. Hell I got called out for asking when an update was coming!!
Seems what was OK to talk about with other ROMs is a no no for cm7. I myself have gone back to Apex RC2, I needed to get more than 6 hours out of a charge cuz I use my X very heavy. So does this mean its not for me? No I will be back when some bugs are worked out but I'm sure the fan boys will see it different.

And to the fan boys, yes I see the big picture,....do you???

popcenator
06-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Watch out there lol, be careful what u say on here now, Droid X Forum has apparently turned into CM7 fan boy forum lol. Guessing we can't voice are opinion on here now. Hell I got called out for asking when an update was coming!!
Seems what was OK to talk about with other ROMs is a no no for cm7. I myself have gone back to Apex RC2, I needed to get more than 6 hours out of a charge cuz I use my X very heavy. So does this mean its not for me? No I will be back when some bugs are worked out but I'm sure the fan boys will see it different.

Some people miss the point of a BETA release..it's put out for those who don't want to wait for a final release. Also, it helps the developer workout any bugs. If you want a final release quality version then wait until the release. Name calling isn't necessary either..

on the move..

3rotorRX8
06-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Some people miss the point of a BETA release..it's put out for those who don't want to wait for a final release. Also, it helps the developer workout any bugs. If you want a final release quality version then wait until the release. Name calling isn't necessary either..

on the move..

I understand that some ppl don't understand what BETA means, my point is the additude of a some of ppl on here has done a 180 turn agents all comments about cm7 unless there good ones. Like I said ppl attacked me for asking a simple question on an update.
Yes I see the hard work and apresheate All the developers work on cm7 and every other rom that gets put out.

Wulf
06-19-2011, 01:25 PM

on the move..

Agreed. You could say beta is for advanced users that are willing to work through the bugs and report useful feedback to the devs. If you plan or depend on a fully functional phone then you shouldn't use cm7, but it is functional and still beta.

3rotorRX8
06-19-2011, 01:30 PM
I used it cm7 from the moment it dropped till bout 2 hours ago when I got tiered of the short battery life, I like the rom and not having cam, YouTube, and spotty GPS was no worries for me, battery life is.

DroidXDoes
06-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Hardly seems like a beta to me...
I never used my camera, and hardly youtube.

Overall I think its very good.

3rotorRX8
06-19-2011, 01:36 PM
My point and comments were bout ppls additudes, the guy made one comment and ppl jumped all over him, how come we didn't see this with comments bout liberty and apex BETAs????

zoe
06-19-2011, 01:37 PM

the post you partially quoted also questioned the act releasing an unfinished beta, so there was more to/included with some of the responses.

as to being called out fits asking for an eta, I don't think I saw yours specifically, but the majority of the ones I've seen have been responded to in a similar manner and from my time on this forum I recognise that most of the responders are also doing so in jest. maybe you can have an opinion but no sense of humor?

getting cyanogen onto the dx is a huge step, locked bootloader and all, and it has been around for a lot longer than the dx. many ppl are very excited to be able to run it on this hardware, but getting your feelings hurt and going right to the fanboy calling is just as bad as the behaviour you seem to be unhappy with.

many people on this and other forums are getting their first taste of being able to enjoy the customization that an open source platforms brings, and some may not fully appreciate how things work exactly. most roms are the hard work of a single/few people doing so for no reason other than they love doing so. squashing bugs isn't something that just follows a known formula, so eta's are unknown. it's quite possible that over the years cyanogen fans have learned that asking such things is unproductive, maybe they got a harsher response from the dev. idk, but it's unfortunate your feelings got hurt not knowing the 'rules' beforehand or were late to the game. whatev.

big picture? I'm an android/Droid X/liberty fanboy currently running cm7, and I work for Apple.

deal.

[Mod Edit] language

3rotorRX8
06-19-2011, 01:44 PM
So sorry I didn't know the "rules" of cm7, do I care, no :) ....feelings hurt, very very unlikely. Do I know what it took to get cm7 on the X yes I do.

I'm my own fanboy ;)

Sorry I don't work for crappel...I mean apple :)

zoe
06-19-2011, 02:16 PM
another unwritten rule on android forums, don't try to defend your employer... depending of course...

and tho i typically follow this one, fwiw closing your own business and being unemployed for 6 months sucks. I didn't make the cut with Microsoft, Google didn't have anything that fit my skills/exp. atm, Apple offered me a job. simple.

[Mod Edit] language

rudyy
06-19-2011, 02:20 PM
another unwritten rule on android forums, don't try to defend your employer... depending of course...

and tho i typically follow this one, fwiw closing your own business and being unemployed for 6 months sucks. I didn't make the cut with Microsoft, Google didn't have anything that fit my skills/exp. atm, Apple offered me a job. simple.

[Mod Edit] language

fwiw, I love my ipod touch 4g, especially since i jailbroke it, but my dx comes first.

DroidXDoes
06-19-2011, 02:54 PM
So sorry I didn't know the "rules" of cm7, do I care, no :) ....feelings hurt, very very unlikely. Do I know what it took to get cm7 on the X yes I do.

I'm my own fanboy ;)

Sorry I don't work for crappel...I mean apple :)

Apple isn't bad at all...
iPads are amazing.
iPods are great music players. ( arguably the best )
iMacs are better than most Windows powered computers. (imo)
iPhones are well...I am not a fan of them...

Wulf
06-19-2011, 03:30 PM
I thought this was about the future of existing roms not a background check for users lol.

zoe
06-19-2011, 04:37 PM
yeah sorry if I led it to far off-topic, from my understanding devs will be able to take this cm4dx as a base for future roms so liberty, apex and esp. drew garen (tee hee) can go even further faster...

it's like when pc's went from 32 to 64 bits in a way (terrible analogy), just so much more becomes available

[Mod Edit] language

3rotorRX8
06-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Apple isn't bad at all...
iPads are amazing.
iPods are great music players. ( arguably the best )
iMacs are better than most Windows powered computers. (imo)
iPhones are well...I am not a fan of them...

I actually have a Mac book pro lol and agree are much better than windows, but ill take my xoom over the I pad

Snag
06-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Im noosh and still enjoying LibGingv.8! Just put on Blackout-Green theme by StealthyChief. Still so much for me to learn about Xhactivationism!

griz.droidx
06-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Uhh mac's are based off of either freebsd or another unix.. We are running a linux distro on our phones. I like the ultra slim mac netbook looking thing with the nvidia graphics chipset. But who can afford something like that.. Even so, unless you want something that thin, better can be found for less $$$. Same is true with anything from apple. Windows has come along way from 95/3.1/dos as far as security goes. But none of the above can compare to a good customized linux distro. And there is a ton of distro's that are dumbed down for the masses. KDE 4 is beautiful. Hate to get off topic on my own thread but someone else started it.. LOL

bossco
06-20-2011, 11:40 PM

Wow thank you. I also see the big picture yes I need to choose my words a little better ,but I was just upset that as soon as I opened my gallery my phone went to ****. Cm7 is a great and I will keep it as soon as all the bugs get worked out. but easy people we can criticize the rom its a beta that's what its for. So we can criticize it and the architect can make the adjustments.

Snag
06-22-2011, 02:57 AM
Well got 1kds easy sbf file burned to a cd. Might have to take cm4dx for a test ride. Somebody convince me not to.

trenton
06-22-2011, 03:20 AM
oh..no...stop...dont do it....

zoe
06-22-2011, 03:36 AM
Well got 1kds easy sbf file burned to a cd. Might have to take cm4dx for a test ride. Somebody convince me not to.

I intended to try cm7 for a day or two... still haven't flashed back to lib v.08... honestly I may wait til liberty is built off of cm7. I've been more than happy, and even with the very few bugs, I can use my dx as I need...

getting the nightlies has been an awesome improvement, and yes while it's still beta, again it does everything I need it to. 12+ years of linux prepared me well...

[Mod Edit] language

fersayken2
06-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Stock gallery is crap anyways imo use quick pix....much faster....

CM frickin' 7 FTW! 1.25 ghz.... Fast and Furious!

zoe
06-23-2011, 01:30 PM
well as to the title, it means Drew Garen got a 'new' rom out...

not surprisingly a bit 'similar' (*cough*) to cm4dx\cm7... thread already locked for piracy concerns...

and while idk much about it yet, there's an AOSP mod/version of liberty that got dropped yesterday

[Mod Edit] language

soulsiphoner
06-23-2011, 10:43 PM
It should be very interesting to see what Liberty and ApeX can do with a cm7 build...the AOSP Liberty isn't actual AOSP source but offers the look n feel without the bugs of cm4dx beta...the life of the Droid X has been extended greatly do to the hard work of too many people to mention! Thanks go out to all (except drew).

Wulf
06-23-2011, 10:57 PM
well as to the title, it means Drew Garen got a 'new' rom out...

not surprisingly a bit 'similar' (*cough*) to cm4dx\cm7... thread already locked for piracy concerns...

and while idk much about it yet, there's an AOSP mod/version of liberty that got dropped yesterday

[Mod Edit] language

(Whisper) Don't mention the DG word, you'll start a riot in here lol.

zoe
06-24-2011, 01:18 PM
(Whisper) Don't mention the DG word, you'll start a riot in here lol.

I know... best way to get a thread locked

[Mod Edit] language

Droid-Xer
06-24-2011, 05:02 PM
yup...

libbydude
06-24-2011, 11:32 PM
The title of this thread leads one to believe there might be an interesting discussion going on. Wrong. Should have been moderated then deleted when that didn't work.

3rotorRX8
06-25-2011, 01:27 PM
I know... best way to get a thread locked

[Mod Edit] language

+1

3rotorRX8
06-25-2011, 01:28 PM
The title of this thread leads one to believe there might be an interesting discussion going on. Wrong. Should have been moderated then deleted when that didn't work.

I myself find this post stimulating

Droid-Xer
06-26-2011, 03:21 AM
Threads dead and off topic.