PDA

View Full Version : How to root Gingerbread 4.5.596 Droid X

MartysDX
06-10-2011, 09:34 PM
I updated my DX to Gingerbread 4.5.596 from the stock Froyo. I am wanting to remove the crap apps like Blockbuster, City ID, etc. On Froyo, I used Z4 Root and installed root explorer. I was able to delete the stuff I did not want. On Gingerbread, I tried Z4 Roor and Gingerbreak 1.2. I tried to use Root Explorer and it says that my phone is not rooted. However, I can use apps like Cachmate, which is for rooted phones.

Anyone have any apps or ways to root the 596 version? I really need the help!

Thanks!!

JNEHAMA
06-10-2011, 09:37 PM
I updated my DX to Gingerbread 4.5.596 from the stock Froyo. I am wanting to remove the crap apps like Blockbuster, City ID, etc. On Froyo, I used Z4 Root and installed root explorer. I was able to delete the stuff I did not want. On Gingerbread, I tried Z4 Roor and Gingerbreak 1.2. I tried to use Root Explorer and it says that my phone is not rooted. However, I can use apps like Cachmate, which is for rooted phones.

Anyone have any apps or ways to root the 596 version? I really need the help!

Thanks!!

Any apps that installed the files they needed to work prior to update eg, adfree may work. But you do not have root. The only way to maintain root and have 596 gingerbread is to start with froyo and get the prerooted files that P3Droid has made available either on Mydroidworld or through his app. I'll look for a link. You would need to sbf back to froyo though to do it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

JNEHAMA
06-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Here's the link

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/7651-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html

If you are not familiar with what sbf entails there are several good threads on this forum. Again will post links shortly as am on phone and don't have my references.

MartysDX
06-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Thank you for your help. Once I flash back to Froyo, would you know which file I should download?

JNEHAMA
06-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Here's a file

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

Also the first and third thread in the picture are useful. Review these threads and feel free to post questions for further help.

JNEHAMA
06-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Thank you for your help. Once I flash back to Froyo, would you know which file I should download?

Yes. You should do the two file method. Once you are back on froyo you will have to root wit either z4root or gingerbreak. Then download droid 2 bootstrapper from the market. And I do mean 2. On Gingerbread the droid x bootstrapper does not work as well. Go ahead and make a backup of your froyo set up. Download the two files from MDW and you will flash both files in the same session. I would wipe data, cache and dalvick cache before you flash the files. Remember to start all of this on a full battery. Flashing uses up juice and if you get into any trouble you may not be able to charge for awhile.

Have you flashed roms or used the bootstrap app before. If not I can be a bit more detailed.

MartysDX
06-11-2011, 06:48 PM
I will flash back to Froyo. Do I download the Deodexed or the Odexed version? Im assuming I use stock recovery, or do I have to use Clockwork recovery?

gunner1982
06-11-2011, 09:14 PM
use clockwork ..deodex is not necessary unless you plan on applying themes

MartysDX
06-11-2011, 09:52 PM
If I use odexed version, is that still the gingerbread 4.5.596?

jlloyd
06-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Yes it is still .596 but if you plan on flashing roms with themes you will need the deodexed

swalker
06-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes its just not theme able

Liberty ...the only way to fly!

titan2180
06-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Not sure what I'm missing but I sbf'd back to 340 and downloaded the 2 part gb file. I used the droid 2 bootstrap and installed the first file fine, but the second file will not install .. even tried using the mirror links and wiping cashe??

popcenator
06-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Could be a bad download...if it's not downloaded over wifi then it's at a higher risk to not finish completely.

Ginger-Bluebread Liberty DX

titan2180
06-12-2011, 09:15 PM
I did download over wifi, even tried all three mirror links and got the same result..still working on it..any more ideas would be appreciated

fnmetal
06-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Always make sure to verify the md5 checksum of any files you download, AFV is an app (from the market) you can use to calculate the md5 sum of the file, the code that afv will generate can be checked against the md5 associated with the file usually posted with the download links. This will always ensure a complete download.

pool_shark
06-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Yes. You should do the two file method. Once you are back on froyo you will have to root wit either z4root or gingerbreak. Then download droid 2 bootstrapper from the market. And I do mean 2. On Gingerbread the droid x bootstrapper does not work as well. Go ahead and make a backup of your froyo set up. Download the two files from MDW and you will flash both files in the same session. I would wipe data, cache and dalvick cache before you flash the files. Remember to start all of this on a full battery. Flashing uses up juice and if you get into any trouble you may not be able to charge for awhile.

Have you flashed roms or used the bootstrap app before. If not I can be a bit more detailed.

I wish people would stop saying this. It works just fine, you just have to make sure debugging is disabled.

MartysDX
06-13-2011, 08:24 PM
What is the difference in the two versions? Is one better than another? I dont plan on using themes, unless there is a real good out but even at that, I most likely wont. After installing one of the versions, will I have to use another program along with the droid 3 bootstrapper, such as Z4 root, etc?

pool_shark
06-14-2011, 07:55 AM
What is the difference in the two versions? Is one better than another? I dont plan on using themes, unless there is a real good out but even at that, I most likely wont. After installing one of the versions, will I have to use another program along with the droid 3 bootstrapper, such as Z4 root, etc?

If you're installed one of the pre-rooted versions you won't need to root. Plus none of the root exploits work on the OTA GB. I upgraded to .588 which is pre-rooted, and so far I have seen no reason to move up to .596.

MartysDX
06-15-2011, 04:42 PM
I Flashed back to Froyo, ran Z$ Root and the Droid x bootstrapper. I installed rom manager, rebooted into clockwork recovery, and installed the deodexed file. Now, all my phone does is bootloop. I have tried a battery pull and still get the same thing. It just keeps bootlooping. What am I doing wrong?? Please help!

HarleyDude
06-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I Flashed back to Froyo, ran Z$ Root and the Droid x bootstrapper. I installed rom manager, rebooted into clockwork recovery, and installed the deodexed file. Now, all my phone does is bootloop. I have tried a battery pull and still get the same thing. It just keeps bootlooping. What am I doing wrong?? Please help!

Try a data wipe/factory reset from stock recovery

MartysDX
06-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Didn't work. Does anyone have a good rooted Gingerbread file I can download? Either a zip or a SBF? I downloaded the Deodexed file from Droid World. Maybe a bad file?

mikeinrichmond
06-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Didn't work. Does anyone have a good rooted Gingerbread file I can download? Either a zip or a SBF? I downloaded the Deodexed file from Droid World. Maybe a bad file?

Did you d/l from computer (preferred) or the phone? Did you check the md5sum? Try one of the multiple other mirrors if you have a bad d/l...The links are also posted in the thread here:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-general-discussion/27636-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html#post319510

HarleyDude
06-15-2011, 06:37 PM

You installed the wrong version. The file you installed was for upgrading from a previous version of GB (588,591,595) Since you were on Froyo you need to install the two file install from Froyo to 596

MartysDX
06-15-2011, 06:37 PM

mejim707
06-16-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm looking to start this process as well. I am so surprised out of all the help on these forums how there is no guide specific with step by step instructions for noobs on how to go about rooting these phones from Official GB 596 to froyo to a rooted GB. There are so many comments and differing opinions about steps or application to use. This is craziness to me.

sgthwjack
06-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Already done, start with this- http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

Then see post #22 above. Worked for me and I have only had my first "smartphone" for about 30 days. Just read and follow instructions and you will be fine. Help is readily available here if you have any problems.

RLPoloboy380
06-17-2011, 03:21 AM
I think I've read so much that I've SEVERLY CONFUSED myself at this point. Why do I have to SBF back to 2.3.340?

I am currently on Froyo 2.2.1 rooted with Z4Root running Liberty mod v2.0.1. I've never installed any of the Gingerbread leaks (588/591/595) what so ever. Shouldn't I be able to just download and flash the 2 part GB file with Bootstrap2?

OR flash my original nandroid backup of my Froyo .340 just after acquiring root THEN flashing the 2 part GB file with Bootstrap2?

Is it necessary to still SBF back to 2.3.340 THEN reroot with Z4Root THEN flash the 2 part GB file with Bootstrap2?? Doesn't seem to make sense because I will basically be back to the same point I am right now before going to GB .596 .The only difference is not having flashed the Liberty Mod.

Aren't I still basically on 2.3.340 which is Froyo 2.2.1 but just only rooted?

Oh btw, my Radio (Baseband version) says BP_C_01.09.07P

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME before I smash my DX and this laptop! My eyes are hurting lol.

Sorry if this was double posted in another part of these forums somewhere but I can't remember.

mejim707
06-17-2011, 11:22 PM
If you're using froyo there is no reason to move backward just forward. Go ahead and proceed with the update to rooted gingerbread. Ive used an online tutorial and it worked great. Just google rooted gingerbread update and you should find what you need. I'll try to post a link. And, BE CAREFUL! So get some sleep before hand ha ha

Icyfire8894
06-18-2011, 06:19 PM
now you said you only need the Deodexed if you plan to theme it. Does that include flashing custom roms like Liberty and ApeX?

airboss1998
07-22-2011, 09:45 PM
I SBF back to Froyo from Gingerbread OTA, did Z4 root, then did Droid 2 bootstrap and the 2 odex files. Everything works great, but when I run Wireless Tether, I get TWO icons in my notification bar... the typical wireless tether green fan and a gray box with a wifi fan in it... When I pull down the notification bar, the gray box says 'Tethering or hotspot active' and then I get the green 'Wireless Tether - Tethering is currently running'.

I'm able to see my Droid as a wifi hotspot, but I don't have any connectivity.

Any ideas?

TIA.

Sekine12
07-23-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm looking to start this process as well. I am so surprised out of all the help on these forums how there is no guide specific with step by step instructions for noobs on how to go about rooting these phones from Official GB 596 to froyo to a rooted GB. There are so many comments and differing opinions about steps or application to use. This is craziness to me.

This one should do the trick!

Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-general-discussion/27636-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html)

ShunkyDave
08-01-2011, 05:07 PM

Sorry to sound obtuse, but I'm on Gingerbread. You're saying I have to go back to FroYo in order to root Gingerbread? How does that make sense? I've flashed to FroYo, I can do that. I understand I need to get root on FroYo, but how does that help me if upgrading back to Gingerbread wipes my phone?

--Sean

Snow02
08-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Correct. Go back to froyo. Root. Flash the rooted gingerbread. There's several how-to guides here, and the official thread at mydroidworld.

Choover567
08-03-2011, 01:11 AM
I suppose people are still working on a direct root for the ota gb? If so where can I donate!?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Snow02
08-03-2011, 02:23 AM
I suppose people are still working on a direct root for the ota gb? If so where can I donate!?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

No one is working on it. There is a method to obtain root.

jtpdx
08-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Isn't this Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/7651-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html) a rooted version of the .596? How come it doesn't have any of the apps like tether, spareparts? Trying to erase some apps but not sure how to?

Chipworkz
08-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Isn't this Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/7651-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html) a rooted version of the .596? How come it doesn't have any of the apps like tether, spareparts? Trying to erase some apps but not sure how to?

Yes it is the rooted version. It is exactly the same as the OTA version except it is rooted when you go from rooted Froyo. It isn't a custom rom so you don't get a toolbox or anything like that.

Once you are on rooted Gingerbread, you can use apps like Titanium Backup to freeze or remove the unwanted apps. There are lots of options once you are rooted to do whatever you want to do. Just do some searching.

Ghost
09-11-2011, 08:37 PM
hi, i have a Droid X. it is rooted using Z4 root. i use Barnacle & adfree and also, Overclock, titanium backup. i have been getting hit from verizon to update the new 4.5.596

if i install the new update what will happen? and will any of those four programs i use everyday not work anymore? if so please point me in the right direction. i don't want to change my "honey comb" as they call it. unless of course they make a blackout style :)

sherwinsagurit1
10-07-2011, 04:18 PM
@Chipworkz
Wow. Thanks for tips and step. This is what I'm looking for. I hope it will work. I will update you.