PDA

View Full Version : Using gps charger for droid x

hemi1300
06-10-2011, 05:14 AM
Installed a mount for my droid x on my hayabusa. Have a gps car charger installed on the bike bc i normally have my gps on it. I ordered a mini usb to micro usb cable so i can use the same charger to charge my droid x on the bike. Will the charger work fine without causing damage to the x? Should be the same voltage, but figured i would check before i try it so i don't damage my phone if it won't work
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mikeinrichmond
06-10-2011, 05:29 AM
Yes, as long as the voltages are stepped down then it should be fine. The bigger problem is with the vibration of the bike, esp. if you are mounting it in the bars. Many phones and GPS's made for cars, have suddenly died this way, since they are not built with this purpose in mind. Personally, I leave my phone in my pocket or tankbag wired into my helmet for music/phone etc, and use my Garmin 2610 for Nav. since it was made to take the vibs...

spodoc
06-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Mike what would be a max voltage? I don't see any info on my OEM charger

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

ryant35
06-10-2011, 08:52 AM
5VDC, just about all USB chargers have the same voltage.

h8isgr8
06-10-2011, 10:20 AM
If the GPS power adapter doesn't have the USB +/- DATA pins tied together, the DX won't go into charge mode. So if you try it and it doesn't work, that's why.

sweller
06-13-2011, 10:17 AM
If the GPS power adapter doesn't have the USB +/- DATA pins tied together, the DX won't go into charge mode. So if you try it and it doesn't work, that's why.
I just dissected a Moto car charger that died prematurely. It has only two wires - red and black. Thus it shouldn't matter if the USB signal pins are tied together because they don't go to the phone anyway. I believe that only applies to Moto AC chargers. Else, the PC's USB port wouldn't charge the phone. From Wikipedia, "A maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) can be drawn from a port in USB 2.0, which was raised to 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0." Most folks are still on 2.0 which is why the phone charges more slowly that with the AC adapter. Faster with the Moto drivers, but still more slowly than on AC.

You can try the GPS charger. It may or may not work. The DX has an earned reputation for being very picky about chargers in general. I've tried a multitude (both AC and DC) with very mixed results. Other than genuine Moto branded chargers, the only one that's worked for DC is an IGO charger and required adapter plug ($$) that we got at Rat Shack for my wife's Fascinate.

The Moto AC adapter that came with my DX is rated at 5.1V @ 850mA. It's hard for me to believe that 100 millivolts is enough of a difference to prevent other chargers from working. But anything is possible.

Final thought: Automotive (and motorcycle) electrical systems are notoriously filthy/nasty/dirty - from an electrical noise perspective, so proceed with caution. If it were my phone, I wouldn't.

fsand
06-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Do yourself a big favor, don't waste your time playing around with any other charger other than the Motorola Genuine charger if you intend to use the Droid X for GPS. I have tried 5 different chargers including a genuine Verizon one and none can charge the phone faster than the GPS can drain it besides the Genuine Motorola one. Everyone says things like all chargers are the same, etc., they all have the same voltage, etc., it isn't true. The genuine moto unit charges the phone way way faster than any of the others.

sweller
06-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Everyone says things like all chargers are the same, etc., they all have the same voltage, etc., it isn't true.
HA! Next time someone says that, show them these:1913919140

The Moto charger (Top - before it died) was one sophisimacated device. A LOT of engineering went into that one. Maybe too much. :smile:

fsand
06-15-2011, 11:36 AM
HA! Next time someone says that, show them these:1913919140

The Moto charger (Top - before it died) was one sophisimacated device. A LOT of engineering went into that one. Maybe too much. :smile:

I wish I had those pictures when they did this to me. I had to use the laymans way (explained below). This all started because my GPS cradle failed. I went to the VZW store and explained my phone was no longer charging through the cradle. They gave me a new VZW charger. It still didn't charge. They then swapped my cradle. Not knowing any better at the time I kept the VZW charger and the new cradle. As the days went by I noticed my phone really wasn't charging well, it kinda seemed to be charging but it never charged up fully like it used too and some days it even seemed drained beyond when I put it in the cradle. It took me a few days to zero in on the issue but I figured out that the VZW charger was the issue. When I went back to VZW to complain I was told the chargers were the same and there was no difference etc. So I took the laymans approach to prove the point. I charged my phone at home to 100%, got in my car and plugged it up for the day with the GPS on and used it all day. With the VZW charger the phone was drained to about 30% at the end of my day. Next day I did the same thing with the Motorola charger. At the end of the day my battery was still fully charged. I then went back to the VZW store and presented them with the facts. They opened an essentials pack and replaced my charger.

sweller
06-16-2011, 08:50 AM
You're not alone. Layman's terms seems to be the only way to communicate with the in-store minions (ironically).

When I bought my first personal cell, it was in-store. It was junk and the "Service Department" fixed it three times. Frustrated, I called VZN Customer Care. They noted the account and instructed me to take it back and insist on a replacement. After a bit of "elevated" discussion (the store's rent-a-gorilla threatened to call the cops :-P), the manager produced a white-box phone. ultimately, I was banned from the store. So I called VZN Customer Care, related the whole thing to them (ironically again, the store manager's notes agreed with my story - though with slightly different embellishment), and VZN gave me three months of free service.

The moral of my story? "The squeaky wheel gets the grease", "The customer is always right", "If at first you don't succeed ...", yadda, yadda, yadda. I believe that we (Americans) are by and large apathetic consumers. We don't do enough to demand more for our money, so we tend to take what we get.

h8isgr8
06-16-2011, 10:38 AM
I just dissected a Moto car charger that died prematurely. It has only two wires - red and black. Thus it shouldn't matter if the USB signal pins are tied together because they don't go to the phone anyway.

Said with such confidence; almost expert like.

Did you stop to think maybe, just maybe, the DATA pins were tied together INSIDE the micro USB connector? Tying the pins together at the supply end would be a complete waste of 2 wires.

With my DIY 5V 2A USB power supply, the phone WILL NOT go into charge mode without the pins tied together.

Do yourself a big favor, don't waste your time playing around with any other charger other than the Motorola Genuine charger if you intend to use the Droid X for GPS. I have tried 5 different chargers including a genuine Verizon one and none can charge the phone faster than the GPS can drain it besides the Genuine Motorola one. Everyone says things like all chargers are the same, etc., they all have the same voltage, etc., it isn't true. The genuine moto unit charges the phone way way faster than any of the others.

It doesn't have to be genuine Moto to work properly, it just has to supply enough current. The stock power supply outputs 850mA, so obviously an aftermarker supply needs to have equal or greater current capability or it will charge slower. 5.1V vs. 5V makes no difference.

sweller
06-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Did you stop to think maybe, just maybe, the DATA pins were tied together INSIDE the micro USB connector?
I did. I checked it. This is not the case. And that really only applies to the AC adapter. It may or may not be true in DC adapters. In the world of mass manufacturing, it will cost more to spec a two-wire USB cable than a 2-wire USB cable with D+ tied to D- through a 200 ohm resistor inside the micro USB connector. It would make more sense to purchase a four wire cable and add the resistor on the charger PCB.

It doesn't have to be genuine Moto to work properly, it just has to supply enough current. The stock power supply outputs 850mA, so obviously an aftermarker supply needs to have equal or greater current capability or it will charge slower.
USB 2.0 can only output 1 unit load (100mA)*. I won't claim to be an expert (anyone who does, usually isn't), but I *have* studied the USB standard.

Here's a little light reading: 19235

I apologize if I've offended you in some way.

*Without the Moto USB driver.

h8isgr8
06-17-2011, 09:30 AM
I did. I checked it. This is not the case. And that really only applies to the AC adapter. It may or may not be true in DC adapters. In the world of mass manufacturing, it will cost more to spec a two-wire USB cable than a 2-wire USB cable with D+ tied to D- through a 200 ohm resistor inside the micro USB connector. It would make more sense to purchase a four wire cable and add the resistor on the charger PCB.

The phone requires the DATA pins to be tied together along with a pull-up resistor. This isn't conjecture, it good ol' fashioned FACT. My real world experience trumps your Wikipedia reading, sorry.

I dissected the end of my dock power supply just to show you how wrong you are.

The dock supply in fact has the DATA pins tied together along with a 200k pull-up resistor. I used a 500k resistor on my DIY supply because that was the value I found in an iPod USB supply clone that worked with the DX.

EDIT: Edited for coherence after being admin edited for talking smack. :o

fsand
06-17-2011, 11:29 PM
@sweller I agree sometimes you have to complain loudly. The main issue is there are times when you aren't even aware you should complain. They can make you think you are crazy by saying "hey they are the same, we did you a favor, so you didn't need to wait and send it back to Moto, etc." So you think, hey they did me a solid, and then you think, no they really didn't they just made me think they did..... it's like up is down, black is white, lol.

@h8isgr8 Though this may be true> "It doesn't have to be genuine Moto to work properly, it just has to supply enough current. The stock power supply outputs 850mA, so obviously an aftermarker supply needs to have equal or greater current capability or it will charge slower. 5.1V vs. 5V makes no difference." At the end of the day I have tried 5 other chargers and none work, and since you don't state one that you even believe might work, I have to stick with Moto because I know it works. All the techno jargin aside it either works or it doesn't.

h8isgr8
06-18-2011, 10:01 AM
At the end of the day I have tried 5 other chargers and none work, and since you don't state one that you even believe might work, I have to stick with Moto because I know it works. All the techno jargin aside it either works or it doesn't.

Techno jargin? You mean facts? Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it invalid.

I can't recommend any other name brand because I haven't tried any. If I did try one and it didn't work, I'm fully capable of making it work. I already mentioned that I built my own power supply for my car so I have no need try another, Moto or not. I do have a bunch of cheap generic AC 600mA supplies that work just fine. They all have the same circuit configuration I've previously mentioned.

Look, I've already explained in detail the number one reason WHY different power supplies might not work with the DX. If you can't comprehend that information or just want to believe Moto puts magic fairie dust in their power supplies, then I have nothing more to say.

I don't have any more patience for all this argumentum ad ignorantiam.

fsand
06-19-2011, 05:32 AM
Techno Jargin = Blah blah blabitty blah that no one really cares about in this case. All they do care about is whether it works or not as I stated previously. Pixie dust, fairy dust or higher voltage or tied pins or untied pins, no one really cares. All we care about is- works or doesn't work. Most people will NOT be making a charger for their units so unless you can offer the names of units that will work the rest is just self serving and really not all that informative.

You say "I can't recommend any other name brand because I haven't tried any." then you say "I do have a bunch of cheap generic AC 600mA supplies that work just fine." well which is it? You don't know any others that work or you do? If you do and want to help others than list the names, even if they are generic Walmart or Radio Shack or sing chen or whatever,if you don't then you don't, and that is just what I said, "after trying others I find only the Moto works." Really shouldn't be any reason for you to pick an argument except maybe you just want to pick an argument.....

"Look, I've already explained in detail the number one reason WHY different power supplies might not work with the DX. If you can't comprehend that .......etc." I can "comprehend it" just fine, the fact is I don't really care, all I care about is helping a guy not make a mistake by buying a charger that won't work. Like most people I care if it works or doesn't. I'm not going to buy a $5 charger than tear it apart and make it work just because I can. I'm just going to buy a charger that works and call it a day. If you can't understand that than there isn't anything else to be said.

The end.

salamberdmb
07-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Rocketfish at best buy has a fast charger that is perfect

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums