PDA

View Full Version : Solve camera freezing issue

hpman77
06-06-2011, 08:55 PM
My camera and camcorder were freezing up like many other people's and i was frustrated..in my hands i have my "Like-New" phone hoping that would help...no such luck...figured out what it was...THE SDHC CARD! simple format of the card and issues went away..to test this yourself go to your main settings and unmount the sd card and then restart the camera app and see if it doesnt freeze...if it doesnt like mine didnt then you have your answer...not exactly sure what on my SDHC card caused this...still under investigation, but definitely something there...i will update when i find out exactly what for everyone else

Hope this helps and thanks to all for the many tips I have used from this forum...

UPDATE!!!

I just had the same issue happen again with my new Gingerbread phone and I tried something new...just move some photos and vidoes off of the phone and back them up to PC...worked like a charm...no need to format entire card, just give the camera/ camcorder app some space..as if 5.5GB wasn't enough, but hey who knew...now videos only take 1/2 second to save and camera is working fine again...just thought i would let all of you know..

uniwendy
07-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Thank you so much for posting this. After the last update that I did last Tuesday, my camera and video camera stopped working. Once I took out the SD card it started working again. Funny thing about the SD Card is that I didn't have to unmount it because it wasn't even being recognized. Ugh! Not sure I will update again....think I'm going to need a new SD card and might have lost all my data...hating motorola right now.

beamer095
08-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Okay you Formatted your SD card, I have music, Pictures, and a whole bunch of other stuff saved to my SD card...am I supposed to just loose all that to get my camera to work, thats kind of BS, not on you but just the other day i had to take my SD card out just to turn on my phone! how does your SD card effect all this!!!???

hpman77
08-15-2011, 12:15 AM
I did back it all up first, but yeah it sucked..and I agree it is total BS!

Nemo aeternamn
08-15-2011, 12:29 AM
how does your SD card effect all this!!!???
it's simple... alot of programs save data to the sd card... and so if something becomes corrupted... i could easily see how it could... well... depending on what you have installed on your phone...
or it could be something with a sd card error... maybe a "defective"... if ya got a spare... or got a friend that has one you could borrow... that is working right... you can always copy all the info from one card to the other and see it that fixes it and tells you that it's a hardware issue in your card as opposed to a software issue with your card

Cindy62707
10-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Thank you so much for sharing the problem and fix. My Droid X just started doing this yesterday. Tried taking the battery out twice, tried draining the battery and then recharging, shut off the GPS location. Then out of ideas I called Verizon. I was told I would have to reset the phone back to factory settings. They were very adamant that that was the only fix left. I asked if anyone else had reported a similar problem and was told no. I asked if my SD card could be the problem, wondering if it was full or something. I was told the SD card would have nothing to do with it plus if the card was full I would receive a message telling me the card was full and that a full card would not cause the problem I was having.

So before I did the reset, I wanted to make sure I saved anything off the phone I could on apps and pictures. While I was backing it up, I researched the problem and found all kinds of people have had this problem! (and Verizon told me no one else had had this problem). Then I found your fix and turned my phone back on and sure enough, without the SD card the camera wasn't freezing up. Deleted a few pictures off the card (even though I didn't have to as it is a 16GB card and I had 7.5GB free yet!!) put the SD card back in and the camera is working great again!!!

Thank you so much as you saved me hours of work restoring my phone after what would have been an unnecessary restore!

Cindy

My camera and camcorder were freezing up like many other people's and i was frustrated..in my hands i have my "Like-New" phone hoping that would help...no such luck...figured out what it was...THE SDHC CARD! simple format of the card and issues went away..to test this yourself go to your main settings and unmount the sd card and then restart the camera app and see if it doesn't freeze...if it doesn't like mine didn't then you have your answer...not exactly sure what on my SDHC card caused this...still under investigation, but definitely something there...i will update when i find out exactly what for everyone else

Hope this helps and thanks to all for the many tips I have used from this forum...

UPDATE!!!

I just had the same issue happen again with my new Gingerbread phone and I tried something new...just move some photos and vidoes off of the phone and back them up to PC...worked like a charm...no need to format entire card, just give the camera/ camcorder app some space..as if 5.5GB wasn't enough, but hey who knew...now videos only take 1/2 second to save and camera is working fine again...just thought i would let all of you know..

hpman77
10-06-2011, 12:16 AM
No problem, I am just glad I was able to help someone else with the frustration issues. Have a great day and happy droiding!

lithium2112
10-15-2011, 12:00 AM
I've been having this same freezing problem... I've also had issues with my camcorder app saving corrupt videos.

I've found that if you start experiencing camera freezes, deleting the corrupt photos/videos seems to fix the problem (it did for me at least). Just go back through and start deleting your most recent pics/vids until the camera works again.

Mike20878
10-18-2011, 08:47 AM
I just started having this problem on Sunday. Initially I thought it was because my battery was almost dead. I had tried to record a video that got corrupted. I'm wondering if I tried clicking to view it too soon and the phone never got to save it.

I'm going to try backing up my SD card and deleting some stuff and see what happens.

@Cindy62707 Try registering for appbrain.com to back up your app list.

Mike

hpman77
10-19-2011, 02:56 AM
Something I have noticed recently as well. If I have too many videos on the card, it dramatically slows down and I believe it is then when the corrupted video starts to happen. The easiest way I notice it is when i go to the Gallery and the Camera Roll takes a long time to show the preview. If i see that then i know that it is running slow and most likely filled up. Just something to ponder and please anyone who reads this let me know if you experience the same thing.

Mike20878
10-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I deleted the corrupted video and just a few other pictures I didn't want to save and the camera is working again.

X_man
10-22-2011, 11:21 AM
I am so thankful for this thread. I was driving myself crazy trying to figure this out. I deleted my last two pics and the camera is working smooth as silk.

Thanks much!:big smile:

yragcom1
10-27-2011, 08:08 PM
I has the same issue. I pulled all the pics off of my camera in USB mode to my computer, deleted them off my SD Card, and now, the camera works fine. I went to Disneyland, and ran my phone ragged taking pictures and sending them to my wife. Now, my phone and camera are A-OK again.

DixieKGirl
12-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Worked for me! My camera would freeze and force close after taking one photo. When I re-opened the camera, it wouldn't let me look at my pictures at all. I saw a few hours at the Verizon store in my near future, decided to google first and found this thread. I popped the SDHC card into my laptop, took everything off, formatted the card, put the stuff back that I wanted (minus about 3000 pics) and now it works great. Thanks SOOOOO much!!!

Charley
12-23-2011, 02:54 AM
Something similar is happening with my camera. I took some family Christmas on Wednesday night. The camera seemed to operate normally. I was not trying to take the shots in rapid succession. It focused, flashed, shutter clicked, and showed the small version of the picture on the top left of the screen. Then that small picture went away or turned into a blank square. After I shot about ten pictures I went to look at them in the gallery. None of them were there. I bought a class 10 SD card for this thing to make sure I had good read / write speed. It is 16 GB with 10 GB free space. On Thursday morning i played around with the phone a bit and ended up doing a battery pull and a wipe cache. The combo got the camera functioning again but none of the pictures were there from the camera roll section.

Something is occurring that is corrupting the file system for the camera writes to SD. The problems described earlier in this thread are somewhat similar. It really does not make much sense to me that deleting two or three of the latest pictures "frees space" to store another 20 shots, as reported. Possibly deleting those last shots could be deleting something in the last couple of shots that is causing the file corruption. I tried the camera again this evening and took about 35 shots without a problem. I deleted some and used the camera share feature to move a copy to Dropbox. I hope that does the job of saving them for me. Doing an upload to Flickr every five shots could really be a slow pain. Losing the pictures from the phone has been a real problem. This is the third occurance in about six months and I rarely use the camera feature.

I don't know if the wipe cache on a reboot contributed much to the solution but hope that may be a fix for the problem. With that idea in mind, I found a few free app on the Market that will clear the cache for all the apps. I took a chance on Cache Cleaner + and will try it for a few days IF I can remember to run it before shooting pictures. I have not found an app in the market to defrag an android SD card but that could also be a route to check on.

hpman77
01-02-2012, 12:42 PM
I know it is weird...I cant say I understand the "logic" of it, but it works...I have tried a few times since my last post to figure out if anything what is going on and still no such luck...I just try to immediately move most of my pics off the phone and onto the PC and it seems to have no issues..

shstrang98
02-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks for your research. The bottom line is that Motorola has zero intent to correct this issue. Why? Look at the brandname; Motorola.

There's your answer. And the fact that we have to do stuff like this to maybe get the camera to work is really a half-assed solution.

And now their new phones have non-removable batteries?

Motorola cell phone division just needs to be shuttered.

drivingwithbooks
02-15-2012, 12:16 PM
I love this forum. You guys have helped me solve more problems than Verizon ever has. This fix with the SD card got my camera working again and I couldn't be happier. I have to say that I've called Verizon over the last few years with problems and I get the same kind of answer as some the of previous posters, "sorry, that is not the problem and you have to do a factory reset." I love my Droid X and thanks to all of you, I keep it working in tip-top shape.

RoadRaaash
07-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Remove SD card, connect it to a PC then browse the SD card to: <sd card drive>: dcim\Camera - Now you can copy pictures and video from this location to your backup computer or hard drive. Next, you can delete the contents of this folder when finished copying, and free up space without needing to format your entire SD card. This will fix this freezing camera issue and it is what I've been doing... Backup! Backup! Backup! ;)

Charley
07-18-2012, 12:47 AM
I did not remove the card. However I did connect to computer with USB and could not locate the pictures. Your suggestion is that the phone is at fault in not being able to read the files. Removing the card allows the computer direct access to the card and is a great suggestion. I'll try that when the problem next pops up.

Thanks

jbella
11-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I too recently experienced my camera freezing issue with my DROID x. I tried removing my battery several times to no avail. Removing the battery had worked for me the first time this happened and couldn't figure out why not this time. What I didn't remember was I 'powered down' my phone first. Before I powered down, I deleted the video I was unable to view (there was a grey icon in my gallery and when I clicked on it I got a message that the video was unable to be viewed). So, my fix was: delete corrupted videos or photos, then Power Down the phone, then remove the battery, wait a few minutes and replace the battery. That is what worked for me....Good Luck! I hope it works for you.