PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Nook Color, got a couple of questions... info appreciated

cynkrzy
06-03-2011, 09:31 AM
My 10+ yr Desktop is dying. I basically want a simple internet device. Pay some bills, keep up with the forums... would be nice if I could connect an external USB drive for storing pictures, and nandroids from the phone :)

The price is real attractive, would rather not spend $500+ on a laptop if I don't need to.

I went looking for forums for the Nook and well I like it here. I know a couple of folks got the Nook.

Q. Does it come with Froyo now ?
Q. Can an external USB device be connected to it ?
Q. Overall, how has your experience been with it as a tablet ?

C Dippa
06-03-2011, 09:53 AM
- Yeah, it comes with a modified build of Froyo stock now, but still doesn't have the capabilities that it does if you run a custom ROM on it. I haven't been back to try the new stock Froyo yet, so I'm not sure if it would be capable enough for you, or if you'd want to load a ROM to make it more of a true Android tablet experience.

- No USB hosting on it, but Dropbox and a large enough sd card could give you a good amount of storage

- Overall, I really like my NC...have had it since January. I run CM7 with Tablet Tweaks on it and I'm very pleased with the experience. It's not a powerhouse tablet obviously, but it plays Youtube and Netflix quite well, and has handled everything I've thrown at it. The few things it lacks are a camera, microphone, and bluetooth is still limited. None of those features are needed for me since I have my DX anyways. The 7" screen is a good size for a very portable tablet IMO.

- The other great thing is that it's virtually impossible to brick it...no matter what you do, you can always get it back to stock, just like the X...

cynkrzy
06-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info, 'preciate it. Just need to decide if I can live without the USB hosting. The price is really tough to beat

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

mikeinrichmond
06-03-2011, 10:25 AM
These are priced to move as well ($218.00). Think I might pick up a spare, as my daughter just loves to kill electronics!

Acer Aqua 10.1" Netbook PC - Walmart.com (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-10.1-160GB-AOD255E-13438/16352472)

kmudd3
06-03-2011, 10:39 AM
I was thinking about getting a nook color too. Played around with one at B&N. Actually the sales guy had a rooted one that he let me play around with and was pretty sweet. Close to the same experience that I have with the X only a 7" screen. Price is very hard to beat.

The Acer eee pad or whatever it's called is pretty hard to beat at $399 considering is gives the Xoom a run for its money feature wise.

C Dippa
06-03-2011, 10:54 AM
The Acer eee pad or whatever it's called is pretty hard to beat at $399 considering is gives the Xoom a run for its money feature wise.

That's a good point...there are some really good tablet options around the $400 price range now that didn't exist when I bought my NC. If I was looking to buy right now, I would definitely consider whether the other options would work better for me for the extra money. The NC is a great device for the money though, and I'd still recommend it...

Also, Mike's netbook suggestion may be a better replacement for a PC than a tablet would be. Tablets are great, but there are some ways that they just can't replace a PC. A netbook may accomplish exactly what you're looking for.

cynkrzy
06-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Wow, thanks, options... Wonder if I could boot that acer from usb if I had to sbf the phone? I'm such a lazy geek. Need to do a bit of shopping obviously.

kmudd3
06-03-2011, 11:28 AM
That's a good point...there are some really good tablet options around the $400 price range now that didn't exist when I bought my NC. If I was looking to buy right now, I would definitely consider whether the other options would work better for me for the extra money. The NC is a great device for the money though, and I'd still recommend it...

Also, Mike's netbook suggestion may be a better replacement for a PC than a tablet would be. Tablets are great, but there are some ways that they just can't replace a PC. A netbook may accomplish exactly what you're looking for.

I'm cheap...so the extra $150 is kind of a sticking point. I love what I saw with the NC and I could upgrade to a phone with 4g with the extra $150 + I save by purchasing the NC. I was really impressed with the Nook!

cynkrzy
06-03-2011, 11:49 AM
What do y'all think about buying refurbished?

Seems like a whole lot of laptop for the price

http://m.costco.com/costco/product/productDirectDetail.do?itemId=11649268&indexNum=3