PDA

View Full Version : Apply Official Soak/Verizon Signed Gingerbread to your STOCK 2.2 phone

Whattf
05-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Instead of waiting for the Gingerbread release to be pushed to your device this how you can install it on your stock device today (note: you will loose root).
1. Download stock Gingerbread update- Get Update.zip on Wupload.com (http://www.wupload.com/file/3487884/Update.zip) *credit to ppeps at Mydroidworld for this link
2.Turn off your Droid X device.
3. Hold the Home key (hardware button of a house) and press the power button to boot into recovery mode.
4. When you see a yellow triangle with the android robot press the search button (hardware button of a magnifying glass)
5. Use the volume keys to browse to "apply sdcard:update.zip"
6. Press the Menu button (hardware button with four squares)
7. Wait for the flash to apply (took about 5 minutes on my device) and for it reboot
8. Allow additional time for your device to load the new OS and boot
9. Enjoy your device with the GB update early!

droidx86
05-28-2011, 05:57 PM
can anyone confirm this works?

FutureFuzz
05-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Use the camera button(enter) instead of the menu key. Sounds right to me. That's what I did today.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

FutureFuzz
05-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Just remember this only works if your on stock froyo

C Dippa
05-28-2011, 06:04 PM
And also remember this is for unrooted GB, which currently can't be rooted. If you want root, or may want root in the near future...install one of the rooted builds instead.

tribals
05-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Worked perfect....thanks! Stock GB is pretty nice:excited:

Edit: Used menu key with no problems....installed and booted right up.

jmcgee109
05-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Worked great and is sweet

jai
05-28-2011, 06:34 PM
In order to take the OTA would I need to unroot and uninstall bootstrap recovery and root tools first? I am not running a custom Rom. Other than bring rooted & having bootstrap and root tools I'd assume I'm pretty close to being stock fryo.

Sent from my DROIDX

holly
05-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Thank you for the clear instructions. This can be done completely via my dx and no PC necessary? And a noob question: what determines that the file goes to the SD card and not the phone files? Or does that question apply /not apply in this case? Lastly,I plan on factory resetting before installing. Can I do this after the download? And can I get into stock recovery from a factory reset? Any comments/opinions greatly appreciated.

Not rooted for now.
Sent from my DROIDX

holly
05-28-2011, 07:08 PM
OK I just noted from another thread a forum member saying the GB file cannot be downloaded by phone. So back to original plan.

Sent from my DROIDX

FutureFuzz
05-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Bootstrap has to be removed.

marenco62589
05-28-2011, 07:25 PM
I keep getting E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip (Status 7) Installation aborted.

Skipholiday
05-28-2011, 07:53 PM
remove root and retry or follow 1st post instructions...
I keep getting E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip (Status 7) Installation aborted.

marenco62589
05-28-2011, 08:14 PM
I tried to un-root, but nothing changed. I also tried to remove clockwork and I couldn't remove clockwork. What am I doing wrong?

Asteroid
05-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Is there any chance that there will be another update before gingerbread is released to people outside of the soak test?

kradebaugh
05-28-2011, 08:29 PM
OK I just noted from another thread a forum member saying the GB file cannot be downloaded by phone. So back to original plan.

Sent from my DROIDX

You can. Just get the download all files app from the market

holly
05-28-2011, 08:50 PM
I've been on this forum since November and that's the first I've heard of that app. Probably means I'm one of the very few here without a PC. Good to know thank you! I'll likely wait for ota but always want to increase my knowledge.

Sent from my DROIDX

viperx
05-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Hey guys I can't copy the update zip for stock gb .596 to my sd card any ideas on y I can't?

SinorKirby
05-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Just remember this only works if your on stock froyo

So this means it won't work if I'm running the 4.5.588 leak?

If not, can someone help me get back to stock Froyo? I can't seem to find the OTA Update.zip anywhere for it. :(

EDIT:
What's the possibility of something bad happening if I do attempt to update and I don't have stock? I don't want to root or anything to get back to stock, I just want the official Update.zip for the last OTA update(2.3.340 I think).

popcenator
05-30-2011, 01:12 AM
The TBH app has a zip within it that'll SBF you back to stock.
TeamBlackHat Application (http://shop.teamblackhat.info/TeamBlackHat-Application-TeamBlackHat-Application.htm)

1xmattx1
05-30-2011, 01:24 AM
So this means it won't work if I'm running the 4.5.588 leak?

If not, can someone help me get back to stock Froyo? I can't seem to find the OTA Update.zip anywhere for it. :(

EDIT:
What's the possibility of something bad happening if I do attempt to update and I don't have stock? I don't want to root or anything to get back to stock, I just want the official Update.zip for the last OTA update(2.3.340 I think).

Here is the .340 SBF if you need to flash back. (Instructions can be found on how to do this)
.340 SBF (goo.gl/5zxIX)

Here is the Offical Stock .596 Update.zip (Use Stock Recovery to update)
Update.zip (goo.gl/J8yLZ)

SinorKirby
05-30-2011, 01:50 AM
The TBH app has a zip within it that'll SBF you back to stock.
TeamBlackHat Application (http://shop.teamblackhat.info/TeamBlackHat-Application-TeamBlackHat-Application.htm)

Yeah, I did some searching and found out that I would have to SBF. Seems simple enough, I just hope my confidence doesn't end up making me have to retry the SBF several times over. :P

popcenator
05-30-2011, 01:51 AM
It's not difficult at all, there's a few different methods for doing so. Let us know if you need help.

1xmattx1
05-30-2011, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I did some searching and found out that I would have to SBF. Seems simple enough, I just hope my confidence doesn't end up making me have to retry the SBF several times over. :P

If you have access to a linux machine. This Process is to easy.

popcenator
05-30-2011, 02:06 AM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-help/26668-guide-froyo-gingerbread.html

This may help you out if you're confused at all.

SinorKirby
05-30-2011, 02:52 AM
Everything seems to be working nicely! One last thing, I assume that this update will allow me to receive all future OTA updates, correct?

fyoung7
05-30-2011, 03:29 AM
Ok noobie here. got a stock phone tried to update the phone as stated
and i get this
e:can't open / cache/recovery/command
install from update
finding update package
opening update package
verifying update package
e:failed to open sdcard/update.zip (no such fill
or directory
E: signature verification failed

HELP PLEASE

fyoung7
05-30-2011, 03:39 AM
Hey think i got it. so let me be sure this is the update I would receive in a few days

Thanks

fatheadhill
05-30-2011, 05:57 AM
Yeah, I'm getting the "signature verification failed" message as well. Any ideas?

fatheadhill
05-30-2011, 06:07 AM
P.S. I'm running completely stock .340, never been rooted

I download the file, note it to my sd cards root folder, shut the phone off, turn it back on in recovery mode or whatever it's called, select install zip..., them error message mentioned above.

Am I missing something?

1xmattx1
05-30-2011, 10:02 AM
P.S. I'm running completely stock .340, never been rooted

I download the file, note it to my sd cards root folder, shut the phone off, turn it back on in recovery mode or whatever it's called, select install zip..., them error message mentioned above.

Am I missing something?

Did you download the file I posted?

fatheadhill
05-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Yeah I did., three different times just to make sure it wasn't corrupted or something.

But, I just noticed that the file size is only 1kb. So I'm guessing I wasn't getting the full file while trying to use only my phone.

I'm downloading it onto the computer now, then I'll put in on the phone's SD card. I'm thinking I'll get it this time, I'll let ya know!

motorsports601
05-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Yes u have to download it on a computer then put it on the sd card. I was having the same problem. It wont download straight to the phone. My device unchecked netflix works. But the free hdmi doesn't. Had to buy real hdmi and it works.

fatheadhill
05-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Worked perfectly once I used the computer to download the file! Thanks man!

kph3
05-31-2011, 06:06 AM
I have gone to the download site 4 times on wupload.....I click on standard download...have to wait like 5 minutes....then the download button appears...when i click it tells me that it can't download and to clear my cookies. I have cleared cookies and all history and cache and it still won't download. Am I doing something wrong here?

kph3
05-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Help?

motorsports601
06-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Use a different computer to download it.. plus what do we do if the ota comes to our phone?

popcenator
06-01-2011, 01:02 AM
I have gone to the download site 4 times on wupload.....I click on standard download...have to wait like 5 minutes....then the download button appears...when i click it tells me that it can't download and to clear my cookies. I have cleared cookies and all history and cache and it still won't download. Am I doing something wrong here?

What browser are you using?

Ginger-Bluebread Liberty DX

popcenator
06-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Use a different computer to download it.. plus what do we do if the ota comes to our phone?

You can either install it or decline.

Ginger-Bluebread Liberty DX

kph3
06-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Tried on multiple browsers clearing history, cookies and cache between. Oh well doesn't matter now anyway...my phone is in the process of downloading the official update. Guess I shouldn't be so impatient.
thanks.

ecorack
06-10-2011, 02:26 AM
Deleted

ecorack
06-10-2011, 04:04 AM
Deleted

ecorack
06-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Solved problem. Froze updater and upgrader with Titanium Backup. No more GB ota.