PDA

View Full Version : otterbox defender question

hemi1300
05-26-2011, 05:19 PM
i have been through many, many cases with my x so far. Have tried kraken, cyclops, incipio, and aegis just to name a few. Never tried the defender so i decided to give it a shot. Was in the mailbox when i got home today, and so far i'm pretty impressed with it. The holster is perfect, all buttons work great, port flaps fit nice and snug. Don't really care about not having the dust filters like the kraken, i think it hinders the volume a bit with these filters anyway bc almost everyone says they can't hear me clearly when using the kraken, also the flash/camera issues with the kraken. Only complaint i can see so far is how the silicone is loose at the home buttons. Do u guys that have a lot of use on the defender even notice it after a while? Does the silicone form better and sit down a bit after some usage? Other than this minor issue the defender seems like a winner so far.

gunner1982
05-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Yes i noticed it on mine too I've had my defender for a few months now and eventually the silicone thing should go away only problem I have is the silicone is like a dust magnet but u can just rinse it off

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Slappy
05-26-2011, 05:44 PM
it's a hit and miss, some of the cases end up fitting and others get worse. keep your fingers crossed, mine never got better.

hemi1300
05-26-2011, 05:48 PM
mine's not too bad, but definitely something i noticed. Not worried about the case attracting all kinds of lint and such, i expected that anyway. Don't care about fitting it in my pocket either, bc one of the main reasons i wanted the otter is for the holster, which seems to work great

hemi1300
05-26-2011, 05:51 PM
kind of likin it over the kraken though, the kraken is a decent amount bigger and i just think the style of the kraken case looks odd, was never really a fan of all the grooves/designs built into the back of the kraken. Will try out the defender for a few days and hopefully i will stick with this one lol

DRaulie2003
05-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Mine is good I've have it for a few months now and it does feel snugger now then it did when I put it on. A little word of advice though don't take it off unless you absolutely have too I work with a lady who said she takes hers off like everyday for some reason and hers is all loose and stretched out and doesn't fit good. The rubber is a dirt magnet though but I wipe mine off with a damp towel and it makes it loom like new again. Definitely wouldn't trade it for another case.

~Gingerbread Liberty v0.5 Undervolted to 50volts~

maineultraclassic
05-26-2011, 07:20 PM
2 issues that drive me nuts about the Defender are this - inner case snaps are loose, so the corners squeak .......and the silicone is very loose around the bottom keys.

Everything else about the case is awesome.

Steve

hemi1300
05-28-2011, 08:07 AM
so far so good after a few days usage. Don't really notice the silicone being loose anymore at the home buttons, and it seems like it's getting a little better and starting to settle a little bit closer on the buttons. Time will tell, but i think the defender may be my favorite out of all the cases so far. Just wish i wouldn't have waited so long to try it out. I really don't think it makes the phone too bulky, i think it's about the perfect size. Now the kraken, that adds some serious bulk!!

Richard3
05-29-2011, 11:32 AM
i also love the defender over both of the trident cases. do the corners ever tighten up? thats really the only issue with me. it squeaks at all four corners right now

DRaulie2003
05-29-2011, 11:56 AM
I've had my defender for a few months now and my corners are pretty tight and they don't squeak. In fact everything is pretty tight.

~Gingerbread Liberty v0.5 Undervolted to 50volts~

maineultraclassic
05-29-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm on my 4th Defender, Otterbox has outstanding customer service. The corners never tighten up, if anything they will get more loose over time. Only way I found to fix them is to tape them tight when new, then put the silicone over it.

I keep telling Otterbox they need to fix this, and they keep sending me new Defenders with the same issues.

Steve

hemi1300
05-29-2011, 08:36 PM
bought mine off ebay, new. Hopefully otterbox will still honor the warranty if i do have any problems. Don't really have a receipt with the purchase though. Gonna shoot them an email and see how that would work if i have any problems since i didn't purchase the case directly through otterbox, maybe i could just send them a pic of the original box? Thinkin about ordering another one on ebay bc they're only $30/free shipping. Since i like the case so much i think i might just buy a backup spare

maineultraclassic
05-30-2011, 06:14 AM
My first one came from Verizon, I just email Otterbox and they send new cases out like candy. No pictures, no receipt, nothing..............just an email is all it takes.

Steve

spodoc
05-30-2011, 06:27 AM
OP, you will see a variety of opinions on the defender and other cases. Part of this is due to variabilty in product quality, part due to how much a person uses the case. Me, I put it on when going in the woods. If I can use the phone and sand/mud doesn't get in there, I'm happy. I'm sure I'd have a different opinion if I wanted to use the case every day. I don't personally like how easily the outer silcon case pops out of the edge. Again, I'm tolerant of it because most of the time the thing sits in the holster protected. The next day, the phone comes out and is happy and naked again.

So to anyone trying to choose a case for daily use and who is a picky person, I think you'll have a tought time. Good luck. For those looking for protection when heading to the beach, most of these will do and I think the defender is awesome.