PDA

View Full Version : DROIDX Gingerbread Update is Ready - Verizon Releases Changelog

Garemlin
05-25-2011, 05:41 AM
http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/droidx-gingerbread-update1-600x382.jpg (http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/droidx-gingerbread-update1.jpg)

(Click image for larger version.)

The Gingerbread (Android 2.3) for the DROIDX is finally ready. After 3 or 4 leaks, word from our sources that the .596 build had been finalized, and a “soak test” announced by Moto, Verizon appears to be ready to make it official. The support page for the DX has been updated with new GB information, including the entire change log which we’ve captured for you above. You are getting everything we saw in the leaks like the new blue Blur, ActiveSync fixes, and that snowy looking new fixed dock. The update will weigh in at 112MB.

Source: DroidLife (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/24/droidx-gingerbread-update-is-ready-verizon-releases-changelog/)

mikeinrichmond
05-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Yep, getting close.. Remember folks, if you take it, there may be no way back to Froyo if they changed the bootloader, like in the past...

RedBank
05-25-2011, 05:55 AM
Software Update: DROID X by Motorola (http://support.vzw.com/system_update/droid_x.html)

Bkdodger
05-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Checking in ....wait for the root!!

Sent from ęlGato's X
Liberty GBv0.5 bluebread

JeepDroid
05-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Im going to be patient also and wait for root

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

qdtphotog
05-25-2011, 06:03 AM
I recently got mine rooted for the first time. So if I get this official gingerbread OTA update, my phone will no longer be rooted right? Do I need to unroot first before the update or just let it be? Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX

mikeinrichmond
05-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Yea, you will be unrooted and there is no known process yet to regain root if you take the OTA.

As long as you have just rooted, but not frozen or deleted any of the Moto Blur apps that came with the phone, or installed Bootstrap, you should be able to take it, if you want.

Smittys
05-25-2011, 06:32 AM
I bet it comes friday

ejgilkey
05-25-2011, 07:09 AM
To my knowledge the soak test has not yet started. I would bet a couple days after that begins.

Luckster
05-25-2011, 07:11 AM
I want root! :)

cuebask
05-25-2011, 07:28 AM
The support page in post #3 still shows .340 as the update.

crunkfrunk
05-25-2011, 07:31 AM
Well if you didn't install any of the leaks you would still be on .340

corki2
05-25-2011, 07:31 AM
The support page in post #3 still shows .340 as the update.

You may need to clear your browser cache to see the updated info.

DroidXDoes
05-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Hmm.
I don't see anything on that list that would affect me in any way.

Not sure what to do.

Bkdodger
05-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Hmm.
I don't see anything on that list that would affect me in any way.

Not sure what to do.

Wait it out my friend ..let the root info come in before pulling trigger ..why have Ginger without root ..

Sent from ęlGato's X
Liberty GBv0.5 bluebread

Cigator
05-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Can anyone tell me how to ready my phone if I want to take the OTA Gingerbread. I have Z4 rooted, bootstrap, and titanium with some frozen bloat. Thanks.

TeeX
05-25-2011, 10:12 AM
If it ain't got root, it ain't for me

sportytony
05-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Hopefully it won't take as long to root.

Sent from my much loved froyoed, rooted, ocd,DROIDX

marioval
05-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Can anyone tell me how to ready my phone if I want to take the OTA Gingerbread. I have Z4 rooted, bootstrap, and titanium with some frozen bloat. Thanks.

You would have to unroot, uninstall bootstrap, delete the bootstrap files and defrost your frozen apps... it would probably be easiest to just sbf back to 2.3.340.

Bkdodger
05-25-2011, 10:27 AM

Here you go..helpful and has another link on how to uninstall bootstrap.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13315

Taking the 2.3.34 OTA Update - READ!

Sent from ęlGato's X
Liberty GBv0.5 bluebread

Hawkeye
05-25-2011, 10:34 AM
@androidcentral just tweeted that vzw stated it will start rolling out this Friday.

No OTA For Me Until it's Rooted.

msu
05-25-2011, 10:46 AM
@androidcentral just tweeted that vzw stated it will start rolling out this friday.

No ota for me until it's rooted.

bingo!!

hlaalu
05-25-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm going to wait and see if netflix still works

DieseL
05-25-2011, 11:07 AM
http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-confirms-droid-x-getting-gingerbread-friday?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=twitter

ZStomped 595

BoJatey
05-25-2011, 11:16 AM
So everyone is waiting for root. If the OTA is pushed and you don't accept it or probably won't even know its trying to upgrade because your rooted and on a custom rom, does Verizon put you on their black list or root list because you didn't accept it?

marioval
05-25-2011, 11:31 AM
So everyone is waiting for root. If the OTA is pushed and you don't accept it or probably won't even know its trying to upgrade because your rooted and on a custom rom, does Verizon put you on their black list or root list because you didn't accept it?

They can put me on their I don't give a crap list.

Artisticsoul79
05-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Wait for it people! For those that don't care about going back to Froyo and not being able to root, let them be the guinea pigs of the new OTA. The rest of us shall watch and wait and enjoy what we already have. :)

BoJatey
05-25-2011, 11:42 AM
They can put me on their I don't give a crap list.

I don't either. Just want to know.

marioval
05-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Just saw this over at ComputerWorld

Verizon: Droid X Gingerbread upgrade available May 27 - Computerworld Blogs (http://blogs.computerworld.com/18350/verizon_droid_x_gingerbread_upgrade)

TopCatZero
05-25-2011, 11:49 AM
From what I heard, the only difference between .595 and .596 is that the leak can have root and go back to froyo. Also, people suspect this will be the last update for the droid x. If that's the case, why accept the OTA at all? It seems like you get all you want out of .595 without missing out on future updates.

SoundQcar
05-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Can anyone let me know, or link me to some info that could tell me what's special about this Gingerbread update that would make someone update from Froyo? Is is this simply a case of something new to play with? Just curious. Thanks.

DieseL
05-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Check the OP. Thats a pic of the change log for GB.

ZStomped 595

zgruven
05-25-2011, 12:11 PM

They send out an army of Droids to deal with you!!

Getsome122
05-25-2011, 12:13 PM
From what I heard, the only difference between .595 and .596 is that the leak can have root and go back to froyo. Also, people suspect this will be the last update for the droid x. If that's the case, why accept the OTA at all? It seems like you get all you want out of .595 without missing out on future updates.

Ummm, if there are no future updates then what would people be missing out on? Other than root. And hopefully that wont take long to no longer be an issue.

Wulf
05-25-2011, 12:24 PM
They send out an army of Droids to deal with you!!

Yeah, the Verizon Guard

Xzombie69X
05-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Just to make sure i get this, Im usung Z4 root no custom Rom just root only, should i unroot my device before doing the OTA?

marioval
05-25-2011, 12:52 PM

I personally had radio issues with .595. sms not going out, missed call, stuck in 1X, etc. So I went back to Froyo because the netflix-no-device-check was not working on .588..... Once the OTA has root and sbf I will be all over it though because there was a lot I like about GB that I miss now, especially the Equalizer app because music is 90% of what I use my X for.

jdmpwr07
05-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Just to make sure i get this, Im usung Z4 root no custom Rom just root only, should i unroot my device before doing the OTA?

From what I understand there is no need to unroot. However, you will lose root until someone figures it out (probably very quick).

daroga
05-25-2011, 01:54 PM
So, can you avoid this update if you don't want to lose root? I would like it eventually, but I don't want it forced on my phone as I just got an iPad and have been using wireless tether with it. I'm stock, but rooted with Z4 running LauncherProPlus.

Was it something like you could put off the update for 12 hours at a time but it would keep bugging you about it or something?

Thanks!

marioval
05-25-2011, 02:12 PM
So, can you avoid this update if you don't want to lose root? I would like it eventually, but I don't want it forced on my phone as I just got an iPad and have been using wireless tether with it. I'm stock, but rooted with Z4 running LauncherProPlus.

Was it something like you could put off the update for 12 hours at a time but it would keep bugging you about it or something?

Thanks!

Install Bootstrap or freeze some bloat with Titaniumbackup

daroga
05-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Ah, that sounds easy enough. What bloat could I freeze that would effect that? I've got some stuff already frozen, but I'm not sure if it's the stuff that would prevent the update from coming down.

jpsil
05-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Still no reliable way to tether...

Mike7143
05-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Ah, that sounds easy enough. What bloat could I freeze that would effect that? I've got some stuff already frozen, but I'm not sure if it's the stuff that would prevent the update from coming down.

Anything...
Blockbuster
Madden 2011
CityID
etc
etc
etc

mikeinrichmond
05-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Here's the latest from P3 on Twitter:

"So tbh will have a solution for rooted users to upgrade by Friday..it is busy times tight now. DX don't take ota if u want root!!!

Jeph
05-25-2011, 07:26 PM
so, what if i take the OTA on friday...well i eventually be able to root when someone figures out how?

tgyberg
05-25-2011, 07:28 PM
so, what if i take the OTA on friday...well i eventually be able to root when someone figures out how?

Maybe. But maybe not! I wouldn't take it right away.

mikeinrichmond
05-25-2011, 07:39 PM
The easiest would be to wait until it is rooted...

Or just go ahead and load up v.595 now and not even bother with the OTA, nothing earth shattering different between .595 and .596 from what I hear, and you'll have GB and root on your phone.. :)

Jeph
05-25-2011, 07:51 PM
how long do you think before someone figures out how to root the new gingerbread release? are we talking months? or days?

Bkdodger
05-25-2011, 08:06 PM
how long do you think before someone figures out how to root the new gingerbread release? are we talking months? or days?

We should have a better idea Friday ..

Sent from ęlGato's X
Liberty GBv0.5 bluebread

supercaliber64
05-25-2011, 08:12 PM
WEEEEEE... wait crap. No update available. False alarm.

rudyy
05-25-2011, 08:21 PM
wow, a verizon-approved gingerbread ota upgrade.
yeah, when i first considered buying an x, i saw plenty of complaints about the ota to froyo; so many, that i held out for a handset with froyo on it out of the box.
i expect similar problems with gb.
since i'm already on liberty gingerbread v0.5, and plenty happy, no thanks.
at least not unless a dev team finds a way to make it significantly better than the latest versions.

OrangeAce36
05-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Sorry for the nubcake question but I have liberty 2.0.1 on my phone and rooted. I plan on waiting til root on gingerbread. Once I do decide to accept the update do I need to flash back to stock first or can I just go straight to gingerbread ota?

PhDCow
05-26-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm not rooted, so I'll install the update when it arrives. Hubby and I both have Xs. He's going to let me do it first and use me as his guinea pig. Nice. ;)

soulsiphoner
05-26-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm holding out myself for the moment. I'm on .595 already so...yea.

Bungle
05-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Rapidly hitting update... No success....

PhDCow
05-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Why do I have the feeling that today was just another red herring?

jonizzzle
05-27-2011, 05:40 AM
What a bummer. I wake up to so much anticipation but nothing to update...

Smittys
05-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Maybe it will be released later in the day?

mikeinrichmond
05-27-2011, 05:46 AM
likely after business hours if it is going to start today...

traveler95
05-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Well, if it doesn't start today, then Verizon is just mean for posting the change log on the support page. I too, woke up and as soon as I turned off my alarm, I hit About Phone > System Updates. When it said my phone was up to date, I sighed, reset my alarm and slept for another half hour. Verizon likes to torture me, obviously.

Nerdslogic
05-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Well, if it doesn't start today, then Verizon is just mean for posting the change log on the support page. I too, woke up and as soon as I turned off my alarm, I hit About Phone > System Updates. When it said my phone was up to date, I sighed, reset my alarm and slept for another half hour. Verizon likes to torture me, obviously.

That is so funny. I would have done the exact same thing if I wasn't at work checking every 15 min since midnight......

KrisPTHoops
05-27-2011, 07:48 AM
It took me nearly a week to get the update to the Motorola Xoom. I wouldn't doubt if it is not the same case for my Droid X. I'm hoping I see something quicker than that though.

Droid FTW
05-27-2011, 08:12 AM
I know it's still early, but seriously why isn't there a lot more buzz about this today??? I remember when the Froyo update for the X was impending, everyone was going crazy and the forums were buzzing like mad. There were even "Froyo OTA watch" threads. I swear all these sites loved spreading the rumors over the past month or so about when it will be released (with many, many wrong dates I might add), and now that it's official, the sites are all dead silent. Bah.

I don't know, maybe it's not that big of a deal, but for some reason I'm so damn anxious about getting Gingerbread. Maybe it's just because I'm a tech geek... ;)

MutantCheese
05-27-2011, 08:23 AM
what other phones have GB officially except for the Nexus phones?

traveler95
05-27-2011, 08:53 AM
what other phones have GB officially except for the Nexus phones?

None, as far as I know. The EVO was supposed to get it soon. People have been talking like it's a race between the EVO and DX as to who would get Gingy first.

Hold_Fast
05-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Since I got to work this morning, I have been going to About Phone > System Updates, every half hour or so, waiting for the update. I see on the thread that a lot of the serious root folks are waiting to see if it can be rooted, and how it works before taking the update themselves, but for me root just gets me free wifi hotspot. From what I've seen online for GB, I'm looking forward to it.

joeyjackpot
05-27-2011, 09:02 AM
So other than Nexus phones, we will be the first to have actual gingerbread? and it came out HOW long ago? lol

pmbasehore
05-27-2011, 09:52 AM
I just tried to check, and it said the update service was unavailable. Maybe it's coming soon?

I saw on XDA that it may come at noon Eastern Time...

Usquanigo
05-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Since I got to work this morning, I have been going to About Phone > System Updates, every half hour or so, waiting for the update. I see on the thread that a lot of the serious root folks are waiting to see if it can be rooted, and how it works before taking the update themselves, but for me root just gets me free wifi hotspot. From what I've seen online for GB, I'm looking forward to it.

I was thinking the same thing. But looking at a video of the new UI this morning, I've decided to root now (have not yet done so since getting my X in September) and installing the latest leak.

I like the profiles, and the tile view, and if the claims of more speed are true, then that's a bonus (my X isn't slow, but more speed is always good). However.... I hate the new dock. I like the Fro-Yo dock. So I need to see if I can either get something to look like it, or something totally different than either that I like, or, maybe just come around to the new style. But I need root for all that, so better to do it with the leak rather than being stuck on 2.3 with an interface I don't like, no way to get back, and no root.

Usquanigo
05-27-2011, 09:56 AM
So other than Nexus phones, we will be the first to have actual gingerbread? and it came out HOW long ago? lol

Android 2.3 upgrade list: Is your phone getting Gingerbread? - Computerworld Blogs (http://blogs.computerworld.com/18077/android_23_upgrade_list)

Lots of HTCs and the Galaxy S have gotten it, in Europe and Asia already. Seems weird to me to roll out to those markets first.

Nuc
05-27-2011, 10:10 AM
According to this post by a Verizon Wireless employee (http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Brand-New-Droid-X-off-and-on-constantly/m-p/538946#M24261)...manual updates won't be available until 1 Jun.

*Edit* Ok - the link doesn't go directly to the post. Scroll down and look at message #17 from GinaH_VZW.

joeyjackpot
05-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/Cygnusurania/status/74137897112043520)

6 minutes ago

@Josh_Stine Josh Stine
The Droid X Android 2.3 Gingerbread will start tonight at 11:59 in Batches of 1000 Over the Air @Motorola @Verizon @google
8 minutes ago via web
Retweeted by Cygnusurania and others

st3v3n
05-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Just sbf. Quick, clean, easy
But why not wait for rooted gb & all its delicious goodness.
Taste great less filling.

Sent from my TRICKED OUT DX using tapas#! t, 2 tampons, sugarless gum, and a book of matches. ('. ')

wcirco
05-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Big red has been doing this for too long!

Usquanigo
05-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Big red has been doing this for too long!

Doing what?

PhDCow
05-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I know it's still early, but seriously why isn't there a lot more buzz about this today??? I remember when the Froyo update for the X was impending, everyone was going crazy and the forums were buzzing like mad. There were even "Froyo OTA watch" threads. I swear all these sites loved spreading the rumors over the past month or so about when it will be released (with many, many wrong dates I might add), and now that it's official, the sites are all dead silent. Bah.

I don't know, maybe it's not that big of a deal, but for some reason I'm so damn anxious about getting Gingerbread. Maybe it's just because I'm a tech geek... ;)

I think the false hopes and wait for Froyo has probably jaded some of us. Whether it's the 1st or tonight or December 21, 2012, I'll believe it when I see it on my phone now.

Ultra Droid
05-27-2011, 02:30 PM

You get visited by two scary looking guys, dressed in black (J/K)

-Mike

mikeinrichmond
05-27-2011, 09:59 PM
P3 now says Rooted GB on Saturday, if all goes according to plan...Hold out folks, it will be worth it...

FutureFuzz
05-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Think all the SBF tools will still work?

Snow02
05-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Probably. But we'll know by tomorrow.

itsdestiny
05-28-2011, 10:30 AM
For GB OTA rolling out yesterday... funny imwe haven't heard from a single member about receiving it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

hillbilliegreg
05-28-2011, 11:45 AM
the only people I have heard that have received the ota are in NY city
which doesn't do most of us any good

J_Bone
05-28-2011, 12:06 PM
the only people I have heard that have received the ota are in NY city
which doesn't do most of us any good

Hit AZ last night......

wcirco
05-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Didn't hit MD last night and hasn't hit north carolina yet.

glassfan
05-28-2011, 12:46 PM
My OTA update showed up at 4am last night. Running GB now. Sarasota, FL

jmcgee109
05-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Still nothing in Delaware

gbrinn
05-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Didn't hit MD last night and hasn't hit north carolina yet.

Yup, nothing in NC so far.../sigh

J_Bone
05-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Its not rolling out by region or random. You would have gotten an email giving you instructions.
The manual update for all users should be on the 1st unless there is a hugh bug with current ota.

JeepDroid
05-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Only the soak group gets it ota

cw0974
05-28-2011, 01:43 PM
waiting in MD but nothing yet.

sjmerlo
05-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Haven't received it in NJ yet.

The persuader
05-28-2011, 07:27 PM
What's the Soak Group Mean?

Ultra Droid
05-28-2011, 08:54 PM
I eventually got tired of waiting and downloaded the two part version from the guys at TBH. P3Droid has instructions on how you do the installation over on MyDroidWorld, and they worked like a charm. Smooth, easy installation.

The interesting thing is that I had to use SBF to get back to stock 340 and usually, when I use SBF it totally wipes everything, but this time the only thing it did was un-root me. I mean, other than no Superuser, all of my apps were there - and working just fine.

wcirco
05-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Got tired of waiting and just installed the rooted version. Works GREAT! No complaints!!!

cjnorth11
05-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Seriously? What's the hold up? Nothing in GA...:mad2:

supercaliber64
05-31-2011, 10:49 AM
not in MI yet

elmerlee
05-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Anyone see the Verizon GBupdate in Texas?

Androidrookie
05-31-2011, 12:34 PM
I heard if you update to Gingerbread and tether then VZW can redirect you to a page asking you to subscribe to the official $20 per month tethering plan.

Verizon Cuts Off Data to Unauthorized Tether Users (http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/05/31/verizon-cuts-off-data-to-unauthorized-tether-users/)

Pwscott
05-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Nothing here in CT still...."Your Device is up to date"

brandonfish
05-31-2011, 03:25 PM
I heard if you update to Gingerbread and tether then VZW can redirect you to a page asking you to subscribe to the official $20 per month tethering plan.

Verizon Cuts Off Data to Unauthorized Tether Users (http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/05/31/verizon-cuts-off-data-to-unauthorized-tether-users/)

There's a patch that bypasses that screen.

boxerdrummer
05-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Nothing in Orange County, CA either.

poolgod10
05-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Let's hope that this OTA hits on the first like previously reported......

shadesofthesun
05-31-2011, 03:55 PM
I hope it comes on the first as well.

MPadgett629
05-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Well, it is past Memorial Day.......I have called Verizon and they don't have any clue what I am talking about when I mention the Gingerbread update........still nothing on my Droid X.

stanthejeep
05-31-2011, 04:52 PM
I can't believe they are dragging this out so long. It makes me afraid there's problems with their build and when we do finally get this update, we will wish we could go back.

brandonfish
05-31-2011, 04:57 PM
I can't believe they are dragging this out so long. It makes me afraid there's problems with their build and when we do finally get this update, we will wish we could go back.

I don't think so, a lot of people are already on 596 and it seems to work pretty well, quadrant scores are certainly faster : )

swartlkk
05-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Checked for update @ 12:18AM EST 6/1/2011 and was prompted to download the update. Downloading now in Central NY.

Droid X running 2.2.1 (2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US) currently...

Download complete 12:28AM... Installing.

Installed! 2.2.3 (4.5.596.MB810.Verizon.en.US)

UKXK189
05-31-2011, 11:25 PM
My wife just got the OTA update on her X

Dark Overlord
05-31-2011, 11:29 PM
I literally JUST got the OTA... Started about 2 minutes ago.

chilito82
05-31-2011, 11:31 PM
downloading now in GA!

stam101
05-31-2011, 11:35 PM
Downloading now in TN

Sorin
05-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Downloading now... Fort lauderdale , Florida

thecyberguy
05-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Downloading in southern cali

mugz91
05-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Downloading in WV

SierraRR
05-31-2011, 11:44 PM
Downloading in North Dakota. :excited:

motorsports601
05-31-2011, 11:44 PM
What do I do if im already running it do I accept the ota? Im running the non rooted version of 596

noto
05-31-2011, 11:56 PM
I decided to check for a system update under "About phone" and BAM! There's the update. It looks like it's going to bug me every hour if I don't take the update. I assume i'll need to reinstall all my apps which should be automatic through the market plus i'll also need to redo all my user settings correct? By the way, I'm in the Southern California area.

Update: installed it. It kept all my settings and apps. Seems a bit faster. :)

sjmerlo
05-31-2011, 11:59 PM
I pulled Gingerbread at 12:15 am on June 1st.

Cobra427
05-31-2011, 11:59 PM
Downloading in Texas. :-)

bignasty407
06-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Downloading now in TN

How close to nashville are you? im right over the line for time zone... but my Verizon store is on Eastern time.... so who knows nothing yet...

ICEMAN564788
06-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Installing now!

carlosbarrerajr1975
06-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Finally got the Gingerbread OTA at 11:30 pm tonite. I saw people in the Northern US had gotten it and I thought it would be a day or more before I got it and I live in McAllen, TX which is in deep south Texas and 10 minutes from the border of Mexico.

mugz91
06-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Downloaded, installed, up and running.

stam101
06-01-2011, 12:30 AM
@Bignasty I'm an hour northwest of nashville.on the TN/KY border.

Jrod301
06-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Downloaded, installed, up and running.

Do you know if the bootloader is 30.04?

stam101
06-01-2011, 12:47 AM
On a side note. I just ran quadrant and got a score of 1691 on ota stock GB.

mgrande
06-01-2011, 01:05 AM
I have .588 and am not rooted. How can I get the OTA?

cw0974
06-01-2011, 01:05 AM
just downloaded and installed, it's finalizing so i should be GB'd in about a minute. cised.

noto
06-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Quadrant score of 1719 on stock GB.

cw0974
06-01-2011, 01:22 AM
so... the GB keyboard looks nothing like what it was supposed to look like huh...

slowninja
06-01-2011, 01:49 AM
Just did the ota gb update! Works great! I did NOT reinstall the bloatwear first.

hj4044
06-01-2011, 04:36 AM
U unrooted and took the ota?

slowninja
06-01-2011, 04:42 AM
No, mine wasn't rooted. I just deleted all the apps that I wasn't using that it would let me(nfs, and couple others that I can't remember cause I deleted them on day 1).

JeepDroid
06-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Im glad everyone is getting the ota. That way no more questions about when its coming haha

V1215
06-01-2011, 04:58 AM
OTA is available in NE PA. Probably won't touch it until someone figures out how to manually root this, though.

mikeinrichmond
06-01-2011, 05:00 AM
OTA is available in NE PA. Probably won't touch it until someone figures out how to manually root this, though.

If you want root, you can already have it, see here:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-general-discussion/27636-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html#post319510

Sk8astevo
06-01-2011, 05:17 AM
Just got update. Its wicked fast

V1215
06-01-2011, 05:23 AM
If you want root, you can already have it, see here:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-general-discussion/27636-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html#post319510

Yeah, had considered that.
Though I don't quite understand, and I've heard it quite a bit lately, why D2 Bootstrap is preferred over the X Bootstrap?

DSmitty182
06-01-2011, 05:24 AM
Hey ive tried downloading it twice now..when i go to install it fails?? here is the info.. System version 2.3.340.MB810 Baseband version BP_C_01.09.07P Kernel Version 2.6.32.9 ne ideas why its failing to install..im a noob when it comes to this..

mikeinrichmond
06-01-2011, 05:26 AM
Yeah, had considered that.
Though I don't quite understand, and I've heard it quite a bit lately, why D2 Bootstrap is preferred over the X Bootstrap?

D2 is giving folks less trouble than the DX version, is all. You can try it with the DX version, just uncheck USB debugging beforehand..Personally I spent the extra couple of bucks for the piece of mind.. :)

mikeinrichmond
06-01-2011, 05:28 AM
Hey ive tried downloading it twice now..when i go to install it fails?? here is the info.. System version 2.3.340.MB810 Baseband version BP_C_01.09.07P Kernel Version 2.6.32.9 ne ideas why its failing to install..im a noob when it comes to this..

Is your phone rooted?, Bootstrap installed?, any of the original Moto files frozen or deleted?

DSmitty182
06-01-2011, 05:32 AM
mikeinrichmond;323189]Is your phone rooted?, Bootstrap installed?, any of the original Moto files frozen or deleted?

I did do a root awhile back..but i thought i unrooted it? from what i remember it was the Z4 root..is there neway to find out about the files being lost or deleted?

mikeinrichmond
06-01-2011, 05:35 AM
...I did do a root awhile back..but i thought i unrooted it? from what i remember it was the Z4 root..is there neway to find out about the files being lost or deleted?

If you deleted any files, and can't remember which, the easiest thing to do to guarantee that you can get the OTA is to SBF back to complete stock. Here's the easiest way to do it:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html#post267721

DSmitty182
06-01-2011, 05:40 AM
If you deleted any files, and can't remember which, the easiest thing to do to guarantee that you can get the OTA is to SBF back to complete stock. Here's the easiest way to do it:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html#post267721...

Yeah thats out of my league..lol..im a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff

DSmitty182
06-01-2011, 05:48 AM
Ill give it a try, if im unsuccessful is there neother way?

mikeinrichmond
06-01-2011, 05:53 AM

Yeah thats out of my league..lol..im a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff

It's really easy, let me give you the Cliff note version...lol...

Download the iso file, burn it as an image to a cd, reboot computer, hit F12 to bring up the boot menu, pick boot from cd, it will do its thing for about 5 minutes, then stop at a prompt that asks to pick #1 if you are ready. Put your phone into bootloader mode, plug into computer, pick #1 and in 9 minutes it'll be done and the phone will reboot, and the computer will goto the linux desktop.

Making the cd is all the effort, and once you have it, you'll have peace of mind that if anything ever goes wrong, you can fix it....

mikeinrichmond
06-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Ill give it a try, if im unsuccessful is there neother way?

There is, it's by using Windows, Motorola drivers, and a program called RSDLite. More complicated and room for more errors than what I've linked you too, but it works for some folks without a problem. Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/22394-sbf-detailed-guide-success-windows-7-a.html#post252492

DSmitty182
06-01-2011, 06:03 AM
It's really easy, let me give you the Cliff note version...lol...

Download the iso file, burn it as an image to a cd, reboot computer, hit F12 to bring up the boot menu, pick boot from cd, it will do its thing for about 5 minutes, then stop at a prompt that asks to pick #1 if you are ready. Put your phone into bootloader mode, plug into computer, pick #1 and in 9 minutes it'll be done and the phone will reboot, and the computer will goto the linux desktop.

Making the cd is all the effort, and once you have it, you'll have peace of mind that if anything ever goes wrong, you can fix it....

K.. so this is the only way of going back to factory? not even going into the boot screen and wiping it clean takes care of this? lol either way thanks for your help.. ill give it a shot after work

DSmitty182
06-01-2011, 06:06 AM
There is, it's by using Windows, Motorola drivers, and a program called RSDLite. More complicated and room for more errors than what I've linked you too, but it works for some folks without a problem. Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/22394-sbf-detailed-guide-success-windows-7-a.html#post252492

Thanks ill try nething.. i might just get the rooted version of GB..

rookiefireman
06-01-2011, 07:01 AM
It is rolling out right now in the Lehigh Valley Pa....

pmbasehore
06-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Currently downloading in Georgia, but it's been going for an hour and it's only at 9%. Should I be worried?

Mike7143
06-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Can anyone who's gotten this OTA give their specs Settings>About Phone
System Version:
Baseband Version:
Kernel Version:
Build Number

System Version:
4.5.596.MB810.Verizon.en.US

Baseband Version:
BP_C_01.09.12P

Kernel Version:
2.6.32.9-g34b306d
qgd748@il93lnxdroid09#1

Build Number:
4.5.1_57_DX5-62

pmbasehore
06-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Currently downloading in Georgia, but it's been going for an hour and it's only at 9%. Should I be worried?

It suddenly jumped to 25% a few minutes after I posted. It's at 81% now, i'll post my new specs when it's installed.

pmbasehore
06-01-2011, 07:46 AM
System Version:

Baseband Version:
BP_C_01.09.12P

Kernel Version:
2.6.32.9-g34b306d
qgd748@il93lnxdroid09#1

Build Number:
4.5.1_57_DX5-26

Androidz
06-01-2011, 08:26 AM
It's a good wait to update OTA 596 in case they change the boot loader or something, correct? Any change log from 595 to 596?

Running LL 4.4 GB 595

mikeinrichmond
06-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Folks are reporting that the bootloader is the same, so no worries...

(Swypin' while watching Netflix on the go.)

supercaliber64
06-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Just ran the manual System Update and BOOM! "Downloading Updates!".
Didn't get to the site fast enough before screen timed out, but I believe it stated 596.
Michigan

stanthejeep
06-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Not impressed. The launcher is jumpy, there's serious lag in the keyboard, I don't like the blue theme, and overall it seems to be lacking polish. Watch the 3G icon as the arrows light up - you'll see it jumping back and forth... the keyboard really sucks - I can barely type this!

Glen
06-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Got the update late last night. Killed my root access, but otherwise the update went smooth.

System Version:

Baseband Version:
BP_C_01.09.12P

Kernel Version:
2.6.32.9-g34b306d
qgd748@il93lnxdroid09 #1

Build Number:
4.5.1_57_DX5-26

x diord
06-01-2011, 09:21 AM
I was running apex up till last night. I restored the back up i created prior to rooting and noticed the apex splash screen was still there and decided what the hell ill try the OTA upgrade anyway. Once it finished downloading and installing it rebooted and the moto logo was red and got stuck in a bootloader with errors.

I then went to sbf back and my damn battery died... I ran a 5 volt power source right to the battery terminals and was able to sbf back with RSD lite but why didnt my back up put the phone back to stock? Still to this moment I gave the apex splace screen sans the sound and I was able to reroot with z4.

I was under the impression that flashing the stock SBF would put the phone back to 100% stock?

firefighterguy
06-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Sounds like you need the stock moto boot image. Pm me with your email and I will email it to you. Its an easy one to fix. All you need to do is load the .zip from clockwork recovery.

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

firefighterguy
06-01-2011, 09:36 AM
(Sorry for the double post. This app will not let me delete my first post)

Sounds like you need the stock moto boot image. PM me with your email addy and I will email it to you. Its an easy one to fix. All you need to do is load the .zip from clockwork recovery.

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

PeaceMaker
06-01-2011, 09:48 AM
I just updated to Gingerbread from OTA Froyo w/ root. I did NOT unroot before updating and it went through successfully. I am unrooted at the moment with Gingerbread. Everything was successful. Haven't had time to play with it yet.

Fondolotz
06-01-2011, 10:39 AM
I just updated to Gingerbread from OTA Froyo w/ root. I did NOT unroot before updating and it went through successfully. I am unrooted at the moment with Gingerbread. Everything was successful. Haven't had time to play with it yet.

i did the same thing and its killing my battery... went from 100% to 30% in less then 45 minutes... any idea why my battery is getting killed?

noto
06-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Not impressed. The launcher is jumpy, there's serious lag in the keyboard, I don't like the blue theme, and overall it seems to be lacking polish. Watch the 3G icon as the arrows light up - you'll see it jumping back and forth.

I guess they wanted to add some rhythm to the 3G icon. LOL!

slowninja
06-01-2011, 11:35 AM
I just did a quadrant yest on my phone after going to the ota gb on 3g.........1622 the first time and 1811 the second!

PeaceMaker
06-01-2011, 11:42 AM
i did the same thing and its killing my battery... went from 100% to 30% in less then 45 minutes... any idea why my battery is getting killed?

something is obviously using your battery. check the battery usage in your settings. find out whats chewing it up.

jsuber
06-01-2011, 11:48 AM
I am downloading mine OTA right now. 59% done after 10 minutes. No wifi nearby.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

Fondolotz
06-01-2011, 11:50 AM
something is obviously using your battery. check the battery usage in your settings. find out whats chewing it up.

it said my 4zroot was using 38% and something called " Rageagainstthecage " was using 16%. no idea what that is....

-=Dante=-
06-01-2011, 12:02 PM
it said my 4zroot was using 38% and something called " Rageagainstthecage " was using 16%. no idea what that is....

rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin - Trojan? - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=853704#9457348)

Not sure why it is using so much battery, but this should help explain what it is.

[Edit] Just so there is no confusion, Rageagainstthecage is not malicious. Just realized the link says "Trojan" and don't want to scare/offend anyone.

[Edit #2] http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=879686 This may help explain the battery usage.

Did you run 4zroot to try and re-root after the update?

Fondolotz
06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin - Trojan? - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=853704#9457348)

Not sure why it is using so much battery, but this should help explain what it is.

[Edit] Just so there is no confusion, Rageagainstthecage is not malicious. Just realized the link says "Trojan" and don't want to scare/offend anyone.

[Edit #2] [Q] Rageagainstthecage ridiculous battery usage after failed root - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=879686) This may help explain the battery usage.

Did you run 4zroot to try and re-root after the update?

yah i tried to root after to see if it worked... looks like ima reboot it... thanks for the help!

Fondolotz
06-01-2011, 12:29 PM
yah i tried to root after to see if it worked... looks like ima reboot it... thanks for the help!

still not working.. is there a way to security restore the phone back to stock?

GWPtheTrilogy
06-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Just got my Gingerbread update ans it's SIIIIIIIIICK.

V1215
06-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Well, got all set up to do the Rooted .596 update (2 part for stock Froyo) and I'm getting stuck on the very beginning of part 1, the error mentioning something about framework. Would a Metamorph theme be the cause of this?

x diord
06-02-2011, 12:30 AM
(Sorry for the double post. This app will not let me delete my first post)

Sounds like you need the stock moto boot image. PM me with your email addy and I will email it to you. Its an easy one to fix. All you need to do is load the .zip from clockwork recovery.

I wiped data and cache and ran my original back up again and the phone whent back to stock form. ::blushes::

mugz91
06-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Do you know if the bootloader is 30.04?

Sorry for the delay. Just received notification a few minutes ago!!! Yup. Bootloader is 30.04.

SUBARUTECH85
06-02-2011, 09:24 AM
anyone using z4root to root there ota gingerbread? is it working?

Mike7143
06-02-2011, 09:29 AM
anyone using z4root to root there ota gingerbread? is it working?

Z4 will not work on the Gingerbread OTA, in fact, it currently can't be rooted at all after flashing it. To get root you must install a pre-rooted version that can be found at MDW (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/7651-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html).

stdesign
06-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Had Gingerbread for a day and a half... VERY happy. I was having so many problems with Froyo on my DX (audio in Phone app didn't work about 1/3 of the time, Google search would freeze the first time every time, couldn't handle live wallpapers well at all... ). But now my DX runs like butter! Really fast, and seems to recover from any slow-downs very neatly. I'm lovin' it. Hope I can say the same a few months from now.

Skin Job
06-03-2011, 04:34 AM
I tether alot so I think I will just stick with froyo.

kandylax
06-03-2011, 08:04 PM
has anyone not been able to update as of now? ive never been rooted and have tried searching for the update while on wifi. have had a dx since february 2011

Mudig
06-04-2011, 01:56 AM
So I tried three times and the update has failed to install. I unrooted it, deleted z4root, uninstalled z4root and bootstrapper + deleted the two files. Still not working. Any help?

overfiendx
06-04-2011, 04:14 PM
So I tried three times and the update has failed to install. I unrooted it, deleted z4root, uninstalled z4root and bootstrapper + deleted the two files. Still not working. Any help?

As long as you did not change your ROM or system files to much you should just be able to do a factory reset (either in menu> settings> privacy or in stock recovery). This should allow you to get the update. It is all I have ever done to get an update including Gingerbread. Of course if all else fails you will need to SBF back to stock.

Also when you say you unrooted... Did you get rid of clockworkmod completely? If not you will need to re-root your phone then follow these steps completely.

-> Remove Clockworkmod <-
1) Open the Android Terminal Emulator and you will see a user prompt $
***Type in the following lines exactly (Minus line numbering and anything in parentheses)***
2) su (Now you should see a # symbol. This is the SU (Superuser) command prompt)
3) mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
4) rm /system/bin/logwrapper
5) rm /system/bin/hijack
6) cp /system/bin/logwrapper.bin /system/bin/logwrapper
7) mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
8) reboot

-> Removing SU/ROOT <-
1) Open the Android Terminal Emulator and you will see a user prompt $
***Type in the following lines exactly (Minus line numbering and anything in parentheses)***
2) su (Now you should see a # symbol. This is the SU (Superuser) command prompt)
3) mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
4) rm /system/app/Superuser.apk (Depending on the root method used superuser.apk can be spelled 3 ways. SuperUser.apk, Superuser.apk, or superuser.apk. Notice the capital letters. Try all 3 until you succeed.)
5) rm /system/bin/su
6) rm /system/bin/busybox
7) mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
8) reboot

gunner1982
06-04-2011, 04:19 PM

Well if all else fails and you don't have any evidence of root or bootstrap then take it to the VZW store and don't leave until you have GB on ur X

. 596 rooted and no reason to take OTA

bbuchhol
06-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Okay I have a question, I did the early released gingerbread update. Now i want to get the official update, is there a zip file already out with the official version or does anyone know how i can get it otherwise? Help is appreciated.

Mikiemo
06-06-2011, 04:34 PM
perhaps i was a little hasty with my decision to take the update. i never considered whether or not i would be able to reroot after the update. i used z4root to unroot my phone then just tried to update and got a response that update was unsuccessfull. i then followed your instructions to remove "clockworkmod", not knowing whether or not i even had it, and got a couple of negative responses when i entered lines 5 and 6. those files were appearantly not present. i finished entering all as it was listed and when my phone tried to reboot it now just gets stuck between the "droid" screen and the droid eyeball screen. it just alternates between those two.

i am new to a lot of the programming and lingo surrounding these machines, but not at all to the logic of programming itself. please tell me i have not just made a driveway paver out of my phone.

thank you so much for any assistance you or anyone can offer to resolve my problem.

gunner1982
06-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Can you get into stock recovery ...hold power and home when Turing the phone on

Mikiemo
06-06-2011, 05:02 PM
all i get is a white triangle with a yellow ! in the middle of it and a green android under that.

Mikiemo
06-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Can you get into stock recovery ...hold power and home when Turing the phone on

ok, now i see how it works. when i got to the triangle screen, i pressed the search button and got some options.

reboot system now

apply sdcard:update.zip

wipe data/factory reset

wipe cache partition

i also get a yellow line at the bottom that says "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command"

msu
06-07-2011, 09:11 AM
The sbf is out for the latest release. Saw it yesterday I think on mydroidworld. Note: will go complete stock

thechaoz
06-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Well the OTA bricked my phone, still waiting for my replacement. It worked "ok" until I turned off my phone and can't get into recovery or nothing. Can't even charge the phone. Just saying if you are considering the OTA I'd at least wait a while for the bugs to be worked out. Apps were slower, battery life was worse. The only thing I really cared for was the folder organization for the apps.

Chipworkz
06-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I asked my friend at work today how he was liking Gingerbread. He didn't know about it so he manually checked and took the OTA update. It would boot to the home screen but all he could see was the top bar and the phone would lock up. Battery pulls didn't help so I walked him through doing a data wipe and that fixed his. He was totally stock too. He found lots of posts of people having very similar problems with the OTA. Both my phones had no issues.

dxguy
06-16-2011, 10:53 PM
i have the update, but i am trying to wait until it can be rooted. it downloaded to my phone, but i keep hitting the install later button. i just dont want to lose my root just yet, and i want to make sure i dont get any bugs or anything

liquidfluidity
06-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Ok , I have unfrozen the bloat. Do I just uninstall xbootstrap , unroot , uninstall z4root , then do the update? Do I also need to uninstall Titanium Backup? Sorry for my noobishness.....

DrSmith
06-30-2011, 11:33 PM
Stock Newbie here. I downloaded the update using the check systems update app on the phone. Took a while to download, then even longer to complete the install progress. Got the same yellow triangle and droid icon, then after about 20minutes went to semi main screen load and froze. Pulled the battery and restarted. Phone came up, but corporate exchange synch no longer works, contacts all screwed up and calendar data non existent. On what does work, there are some cool features that pop up unexpectedly, and the phone app has a new look.The worst thing is that they changed the black background to white, and changed slot of the font colors to a light blue, and I hate it. I want my black background and white letters back. Sorry if I am whining..

J_Bone
07-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Ok , I have unfrozen the bloat. Do I just uninstall xbootstrap , unroot , uninstall z4root , then do the update? Do I also need to uninstall Titanium Backup? Sorry for my noobishness.....

I would keep all that and get d2 bootstrap and install the 2part GB upgrade. You'll have GB rooted.
I did the same as you, but ended up sbf back to froyo and then rooting like you have to upgrade to a rooted GB.

dlopan
08-03-2011, 12:49 PM
I can't get the upgrade at all. Tried multiple times. Nothing. Any ideas?
thanks

Ultra Droid
08-03-2011, 11:34 PM
I can't get the upgrade at all. Tried multiple times. Nothing. Any ideas?
thanks

Try this - go to How To SBF Droid X to 2.3.320/.340 (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-how-tos/6233-how-sbf-droid-x-2-3-320-340-a.html) and watch the video. There are links to download what you'll need.

Good Luck! :)

-Mike