PDA

View Full Version : So you decided to go GB, but are adrift in a sea of information on HOW to do so

fezrock
05-22-2011, 07:49 PM
A private request prompted this thread. There is a vast wealth of GB threads by now. They can be extremely confusing to follow and figure out a 1-2-3 guide to getting it. In fact, knowing what I sought, I still had some trouble finding some of the following links and info. Know that this isn't THE WAY, but IMO the cleanest and most efficacious way to get current on the GB express.

EDIT!!!: If you don't have root after flashing .591 or .595 use the gingerbreak.apk. Link for that coming soon to this thread. But until then just run a search...

1st need (but not a necessity): TBH app. $1.99 (http://shop.teamblackhat.info/main.sc)
Get it because we would all have significantly less-interesting phones without these folks!

Because I want everyone to show TBH some love, I’ll start with this method.
After getting the app (and Droid2 bootstrap from the market is HIGHLY recommended!) and installing it:

1) DL the (4.5.588, doesn’t state this) Full Gingerbread (2.3.3) Rooted (read instructions prior to flashing any GB zip, and be sure you have the right one), DL the Full Gingerbread (2.3.3)Blur Version 4.5.591), [This last isn’t necessary for most Roms, as those are still on the 4.5.591 build. DL the Full Gingerbread (2.3.3)Rooted and Deodexed (Blur Version 4.5.595)]

2) SBF:
(a) Full 2.3.340 SBF file. Use it with rsd lite.
(b) easy SBF by wugfresh (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/26283-sbfportable-standalone-sbf-program-plugin-doubleclick-done.html), and thanks to the others whose efforts led to this.
(c) also easy, Linux method by 1KDS (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html)
(sorry KDS, about the mixup, giving your credit to x-er originally)
2.1) Root via your normal method.

3) Do all wipes in bootstrap recovery and flash the 4.5.588 version. Reboot.

4) Do all wipes in bootstrap recovery and flash the 4.5.591 version. Reboot. Congrats! You are now on the latest kernel! You can flash the latest roms and build now.

5)Now what?
(a) There are some nice themes for this build and version. You can try out .591 GB and a nice theme. See what GB itself has to offer!
(b) Flash the 4.5.595, the (likely) final build leak before the OTA. Some of my new favorite themes are on this build, too!
(c) Flash a rom. Liberty v0.5 is nice. As is ApeX 2.0. Zombie-stomped. And more are out there!

NO TBH app links and method:

Where to get 4.5.588 (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/7047-droidx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-588-install-patch-root.html), read the first 3 posts and follow directions to the letter. Or get the files and follow macpro’s can’t-miss tutorial. (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/24642-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-588-successful-installation-guide.html)

(http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/24642-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-588-successful-installation-guide.html)
Where to get 4.5.591 (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=4)

(http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=4)
Where to get 4.5.595 (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/7333-new-leak-official-upgrade-path-gingerbread.html), post 1. I suggest the fully deodexed version, it’s the first in the list.

Follow 4.5.588 instructions. Once you are on GB you may flash 4.5.591, and the rest is spelled out above.

GB and Froyo are NOT compatible! To go back to Froyo requires an SBF. Period. DO NOT try to restore a Froyo nandroid once you're on GB!!!

Disclaimer: Only YOU are responsible for your device, and what you do to/with it! Neither I, nor DroidX Forums, are responsible if you do something dumb (like try a shortcut not recommended by the devs) and brick your DX. But the community is here to help you back to operation in case you do anyway.:wink:

(edits to undoubtedly follow...)

fezrock
05-22-2011, 07:50 PM
reserved for stuff

fezrock
05-22-2011, 07:50 PM
reserved for more stuff

NoLimitslja
05-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Might sound like a dumb question but which build of 59x you keep root on?

You can disregard this your sig just answered my question.... (I need to learn to read) LOL.

fezrock
05-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Might sound like a dumb question but which build of 59x you keep root on?

You can disregard this your sig just answered my question.... (I need to learn to read) LOL.

All builds in this guide are the rooted and deodexed versions.

Jrod301
05-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Awesome post, I've been looking for something like this! I'm running froyo liberty right now, but was running 595 deodexed earlier today, can I restore my gingy backup from froyo?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

popcenator
05-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Awesome post, I've been looking for something like this! I'm running froyo liberty right now, but was running 595 deodexed earlier today, can I restore my gingy backup from froyo?

No you cannot.

Ginger-Bluebread Liberty DX

popcenator
05-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Nice write-up, I'm still waiting the approval on mine.

Jrod301
05-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Okay thanks! Well, can I flash 588, then bootstrap and restore my 595 backup, or does the new 591 kernel interfere with that?

popcenator
05-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Okay thanks! Well, can I flash 588, then bootstrap and restore my 595 backup, or does the new 591 kernel interfere with that?

Yes. You can go that route.

fezrock
05-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Nice write-up, I'm still waiting the approval on mine.

Thanks! I don't try to submit official guides for some reason. No patience for polish maybe. I hope yours gets approved soon. It's time for a good official 1-2-3.

exploring Stealthy .595 with FlexT9 keyboard

Jrod301
05-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks a lot guys! Appreciate the help!

popcenator
05-22-2011, 08:35 PM
This is as good as mine...hope it saves people the hassle of posting new threads. That's the bottom line of these.

fezrock
05-22-2011, 08:39 PM
This is as good as mine...hope it saves people the hassle of posting new threads. That's the bottom line of these.

Quite so! How long did it take you to extract the pertinent info from everywhere?

popcenator
05-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Quite so! How long did it take you to extract the pertinent info from everywhere?

Not too long but I did forget a couple things I should have added before they locked it. I had threads saved from helping people prior.

fezrock
05-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Not too long but I did forget a couple things I should have added before they locked it. I had threads saved from helping people prior.

I keep meaning to keep a doc with links. I have a few, but need to consolidate and add more.

popcenator
05-22-2011, 08:51 PM
I keep meaning to keep a doc with links. I have a few, but need to consolidate and add more.

Yeah, it's pretty handy...speeds up response time, but this thread should help a lot of people get to where they need to be.

fezrock
05-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Hope springs eternal ;)

z_newb
05-22-2011, 11:28 PM
hi i was wondering if somebody could possibly help me with my droid x on GB .595 with cricket service? my problem is i cant send or get mms? any suggestion's? ive done the apn and ##program and all that it just wont work. i was on 2.2.1 liberty 2.0.2 and it all worked just fine.

TY

Z

popcenator
05-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Have you tried a different messaging app? I use Go SMS.

fezrock
05-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Have you tried a different messaging app? I use Go SMS.

Yeah, Z tried multiple messaging apps with no success.

matjmonk
05-24-2011, 02:07 PM

Great guide Gents/Ladies. Now if we could only get folks to search BEFORE posting!!!!

:LOL:

fezrock
05-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Great guide Gents/Ladies. Now if we could only get folks to search BEFORE posting!!!!

:LOL:

In an ideal world...

JNEHAMA
05-25-2011, 09:26 PM
@fezrock a quick question. I am about to reflash gingerbread from the beginning. I had to sbf to froyo for other reasons and now am ready to go back. When I see the files in TBH app there is one file for .588 rooted but when I did it initially and the thread at MDW shows the three installment version. I have the three files on my phone as well as the TBH app file for full gingerbread 4.5.588. Which one should I use? And if I plan to install apex, should I do the full .591 from TBH then apex, or can I just do apex and use the kernal from Fab. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I am ever so ready to get out of stock froyo!!!!:excited:

fezrock
05-25-2011, 09:56 PM
@fezrock a quick question. I am about to reflash gingerbread from the beginning. I had to sbf to froyo for other reasons and now am ready to go back. When I see the files in TBH app there is one file for .588 rooted but when I did it initially and the thread at MDW shows the three installment version. I have the three files on my phone as well as the TBH app file for full gingerbread 4.5.588. Which one should I use? And if I plan to install apex, should I do the full .591 from TBH then apex, or can I just do apex and use the kernal from Fab. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I am ever so ready to get out of stock froyo!!!!:excited:

Tbh .588, then tbh .591, then apex is easiest imo. Almost went your route today, but I got lazy. Been buggy lately. Lots of flashing and some other stuff. Hope all goes well. I'll be awake again in @5h.

JNEHAMA
05-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Tbh .588, then tbh .591, then apex is easiest imo. Almost went your route today, but I got lazy. Been buggy lately. Lots of flashing and some other stuff. Hope all goes well. I'll be awake again in @5h.

Thanks. That's what I did. Only glitch was I lost root when I flashed. 591 so I got to use gingerbreak at 2am!! Thank God I knew about it. Only thing was taking the time to back up my sd card to my PC took 40minutes. I had heard that occasionally gingerbreak wiped the sd card. But it worked flawlessly and then flashed Apex. Finished setting up apps this am. Still need to theme and personalize but I'm going to take it slowly. I don't plan to change rom or setup until final gb comes out with root. Thanks for the help.

fezrock
05-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Glad you got it! I got to use gingerbreak last week. It was a great feeling! Btw try a micro SD to SD adapter. You can xfer 9 gigs in about 3 minutes!

MarkWebber
05-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Followed OP TBH instruction. 588 went fine. Flashed to 591 seemingly fine but appears I don't have root. D2 won't boot into recovery to flash 595. SU icon is present but root apps aren't working.
Is there a reliable way to root this or must I SBF back to stock?

Thanks to the OP for making this easy to follow guide, BTW!

EDIT: Just for fun, ran Gingerbreak and got root. Flashed 595 rooted/deodexed and had no root again. Gingerbreak and seems ok. Not sure what happened but I'm sure it was my fault! haha

fezrock
05-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Followed OP TBH instruction. 588 went fine. Flashed to 591 seemingly fine but appears I don't have root. D2 won't boot into recovery to flash 595. SU icon is present but root apps aren't working.
Is there a reliable way to root this or must I SBF back to stock?

Thanks to the OP for making this easy to follow guide, BTW!

EDIT: Just for fun, ran Gingerbreak and got root. Flashed 595 rooted/deodexed and had no root again. Gingerbreak and seems ok. Not sure what happened but I'm sure it was my fault! haha

Glad you got it! Gingerbreak was going to be my suggestion. Great rooting .apk! Tbh .596 tomorrow...