PDA

View Full Version : Software Network Adapter Won't Install

Snow02
05-21-2011, 01:34 AM
I'm not on any computer help forums since I typically don't need any, but this one has me stumped.

I helped a friend out with their infected computer the other day, and like a dummy swapped usb sticks between my laptop and their computer. Well, I went and infected myself. I can't honestly remember the last time I got a virus, so I guess I didn't think twice about it.

It ended up shutting down my internet connection and mucking up the services registry. After cleaning it up, I restored the services entries from my other computer and all was well, or so I thought.

I use Hamachi for vpn, but when updating my wireless driver after all of this the Hamachi network adapter was uninstalled. I tried several re-installations and could not get it back. So I tried another vpn option, tinc, and can't get that adapter to install either - so this is definitely an issue with my computer. The driver appears to install, but the adapter never gets added.

Anyone seen anything like this before? I know I can format the computer and start over but, man, that's such a pain. System restore isn't an option. Any ideas?