PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Looks to End 3G Service - Go All 4G LTE By 2013?

Garemlin
05-20-2011, 07:08 PM
http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/verizon-4g-lte.png

Letís hope they plan on investing in some battery technology as well then. Earlier today, Tony Melone, the man responsible for the roll out of Verizons LTE network held a Q&A with reporters in Texas at the TIA conference. A few important things were said by Verizonís CTO of Communications, the most important to us is that he is nudging at the end of 3G service altogether by the year 2013. Stating that all devices should have LTE capability by the end of 2012, and that in 2013 some devices might not even come with 3G radios depending on how the consumer market responds to the LTE deployment. Verizon has already told us that they want 4G across 2/3 of the US by 2013, so this makes sense. This also brings on the continued development of voLTE (voice over LTE). Back in February was the worlds first ever voLTE call and now we are nearing a time of nothing but.

Source: DroidLife (http://www.droid-life.com/)

Diablo
05-20-2011, 11:52 PM
I doubt my area will even have 4g by 2013.

DroidXDoes
05-21-2011, 12:00 AM
I hope they continue 3g. I might keep this phone longer until 5g comes out around 2014 hopefully.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Asharad
05-21-2011, 12:07 AM
I doubt my area will even have 4g by 2013.

Same here. I just got 3G about a year ago.

DroidXSkywalker
09-20-2011, 02:23 AM
I hope they don't end 3G, cuz I don't want to replace my X. I love my X too much!

Leach19m
09-20-2011, 02:29 AM
Hmm, interesting....I imagine it would save them some money not having to maintain two different networks/sets of towers. I'd be looking forward to 4g where I live......I'm lucky if I get 1mb down on 3g here. Tis crap I say!

96GT226410
09-20-2011, 03:13 AM
Sounds too soon. Like others have stated, I got 3g about two years ago, mandatory 4g seems like it would take some serious work.

DroidXSkywalker
09-20-2011, 05:12 AM
I don't have an issue with 3G, cuz its better than what my previous phone had. I had a Sammy Rogue with only 25 gigs of data allowed, and for me, limited data plans really SUCK. just like the iPhone. That's why I'm glad to be grandfathered into unlimited data. I'm very grateful that VZW did not take everyone's unlimited data away, because they could've if they wanted to. So I'm very thankful for that, even though I can't use it unless I move back to the US. But that may happen next year. I'll just have to wait and see what happens. But I would much rather be throttled than lose my unlimited data completely. I would hate losing 3G all together, cuz I really don'twant to change phones, even though I'll be due for an upgrade in 2013. So I think ending 3G is Xtremely absurd, considering most people use it.

elidog
09-20-2011, 05:25 AM
Their goons. However I plan on having a new toy by then anyway. One that will make childs play of this phone I love so much

Asharad
09-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Hrm... I just realized that my ISP is 3G Millenicom, which is a repackaged Verizon. I may have to find a new ISP (there are zero alternatives).

jmvelazq51
09-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Well, won't notice too much of a difference between 3G and 4G cuz I don't do TOO much (yet) on my Droid X. Still learning to use (and Play with) it. Just hope it doesn't cost much if such a move is made.:excited:

RETG
09-20-2011, 11:37 AM
http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/verizon-4g-lte.png

Letís hope they plan on investing in some battery technology as well then. Earlier today, Tony Melone, the man responsible for the roll out of Verizons LTE network held a Q&A with reporters in Texas at the TIA conference. A few important things were said by Verizonís CTO of Communications, the most important to us is that he is nudging at the end of 3G service altogether by the year 2013. Stating that all devices should have LTE capability by the end of 2012, and that in 2013 some devices might not even come with 3G radios depending on how the consumer market responds to the LTE deployment. Verizon has already told us that they want 4G across 2/3 of the US by 2013, so this makes sense. This also brings on the continued development of voLTE (voice over LTE). Back in February was the worlds first ever voLTE call and now we are nearing a time of nothing but.

Source: DroidLife (http://www.droid-life.com/)

Guess I am missing something. In one sentence it says Verizon wants to end 3G service altogether in 2013, but a few sentences later it is stated only 2/3 of the country will have 4G by 2013. So, does this really make sense as noted? Is verizon willing to let hundreds of thousands of customers flying in the wind with no service?

pinkbull
09-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Guess I am missing something. In one sentence it says Verizon wants to end 3G service altogether in 2013, but a few sentences later it is stated only 2/3 of the country will have 4G by 2013. So, does this really make sense as noted? Is verizon willing to let hundreds of thousands of customers flying in the wind with no service?

You got that right Mister..in my home 3G is pretty lame and yet i can't imagine if they force close 3G, even I'm buying lte phone

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

pinkbull
09-20-2011, 11:44 AM

You got that right Mister..in my home 3G is pretty lame and yet i can't imagine if they force close 3G, even I'm buying lte phone and i cannot use my internet properly it's gonna be hell for me

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

hlaalu
09-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Just because droidlife says Tony Melone is "nudging" at ending 3g service, doesn't mean it's true or concrete. And the article says,
"Stating that all devices should have LTE capability by the end of 2012, and that in 2013 some devices might not even come with 3G radios depending on how the consumer market responds to the LTE deployment."
I don't know about you guys, but I don't see anywhere in there that says phones with 3G won't have service, it just says they won't make them anymore. They don't make CRT tvs but you can still watch tv on them.

gbrinn
09-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Just because droidlife says Tony Melone is "nudging" at ending 3g service, doesn't mean it's true or concrete. And the article says,
"Stating that all devices should have LTE capability by the end of 2012, and that in 2013 some devices might not even come with 3G radios depending on how the consumer market responds to the LTE deployment."
I don't know about you guys, but I don't see anywhere in there that says phones with 3G won't have service, it just says they won't make them anymore. They don't make CRT tvs but you can still watch tv on them.
This ^. Kind of like how your new wireless router still supports your ancient 802.11b laptop but is meant for 802.11n. Backwards compatibility will be around for a while after they no longer make 3G phones.

pltctytc
09-26-2011, 10:05 AM
use common sense.....your 3g phones WILL NOT become obsolete.
there are still people using cell phones 3-5 years old or older that 1x or less and not even using web access
i doubt they can force you to upgrade otherwise they would have to give a free phone to comply and that's gonna cost V money.
plenty of customers not into web access via cell phone

coffeecrazy98
09-30-2011, 07:52 AM
I don't really have a prob w/ 3g.....beats the Treo that I used for years (which I really loved that phone...until I got my X)...anyway, that's a pretty big claim to do bc/ there are still so many places that are probably struggling just to acquire 3g still ( I would presume...like the hollars of KY...or the deserts of AZ & NM)

DroidXSkywalker
09-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Well, won't notice too much of a difference between 3G and 4G cuz I don't do TOO much (yet) on my Droid X. Still learning to use (and Play with) it. Just hope it doesn't cost much if such a move is made.:excited:I am perfectly happy with 3G. I don't have any data in my area, since I moved to England (where I was raised) a few weeks ago, but I so miss my 3G. I pay for roaming so I can still stay on Verizon, so I don't have to switch from them and then back and lose my unlimited data, cuz I need my unlimited data. I hate relying on wifi. I wish the CDMA radio in my X could work in England so I can still use data.

gbrinn
09-30-2011, 08:05 AM
I am perfectly happy with 3G. I don't have any data in my area, since I moved to England (where I was raised) a few weeks ago, but I so miss my 3G. I pay for roaming so I can still stay on Verizon, so I don't have to switch from them and then back and lose my unlimited data, cuz I need my unlimited data. I hate relying on wifi. I wish the CDMA radio in my X could work in England so I can still use data.

Deathstar's service or VzW's worldwide Droid Patrick your best bets.

DroidXSkywalker
09-30-2011, 08:05 AM
I am perfectly happy with 3G. I don't have any data in my area, since I moved to England (where I was raised) a few weeks ago, but I so miss my 3G. I pay for roaming so , I can still stay on Verizon, so I don't have to switch from them and then back and lose my unlimited data, cuz I need my unlimited data. I hate relying on wifi. I wish the CDMA radio in my X could work in England so I can still use data. Enjoy your X, cuz its the coolest. I'm rooted on Gingerbread and love it!

DroidXSkywalker
09-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Deathstar's service or VzW's worldwide Droid Patrick your best bets.Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X ForumsI'm sorry but I don't understand what you just wrote in your post.

DroidXSkywalker
09-30-2011, 08:11 AM
I miss my 3G so much that I want to move back to the US.

gbrinn
09-30-2011, 08:14 AM
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you just wrote in your post.

For service in Europe, your choices are AT&T (aka Deathstar) or the international Droid.

DroidXSkywalker
10-05-2011, 12:10 AM
I see. I don't want to change carriers or phones so I'll just have to live without data until I move back to the US. I wish X could use data where I live. I should've found that out before I moved to Europe

gbrinn
10-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Yeah, all of Europe uses the same cell network technology as AT&T. Makes life a lot easier over there if you like your phone but don't like your carrier. You can take your phone with you when your contract is up.