PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Readies Tiered Data Plans for this Summer - Family Versions in the Future

Garemlin
05-19-2011, 06:36 PM
http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/verizon-wireless-600x245.png (http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/verizon-wireless.png)

Verizon announced this week at the Reuters Global Technology Summit that they plan to introduce tiered data plans (not surprising) some time this Summer, meaning the days of enjoying our unlimited $29.99 package are coming to an end. Well, they didnít specifically say that the $29.99 unlimited plan would be gone, but itís fair to assume so, isnít it? No other details around new plans were provided, however the words ďkick offĒ and ďSummerĒ were thrown together in the same sentence, so expect changes to happen sooner rather than later.

Shared family data plans were also mentioned though, giving those of us with multiple smartphone lines a little bit of hope. Since there are buckets of minutes for families, it only makes sense that they would attempt to introduce something similar involving data. Again, no time frame mentioned here, and ďSummerĒ wasnít anywhere near this comment, so letís not hold our breathe on this one happening at the same time as tiers.
Mobile broadband plans currently start out at $20 for 1GB of data - letís hope those donít transfer over to phones.

Source: DroidLife (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/19/verizon-readies-tiered-data-plans-for-this-summer-family-versions-in-the-future/)

Leach19m
05-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Haha $20/1GB?? If they tried that with their phone data, they could expect to lose a whole lot of business

Sent from my Droid X, which Netflix thinks is an HTC Vision!

Wulf
05-19-2011, 06:44 PM
If they try that I would drop Verizon in a heartbeat. I use almost three times that in a month.

Deodex Ginger Man is ready for action.....

Garemlin
05-19-2011, 06:55 PM
It is the future if we like it or not. VZW was not going to keep giving unlimited data forever. Between Android and iPhone users, we are eating up a ton of data every month.

skooter16
05-19-2011, 06:58 PM
My brother talked to a rep who said if he got the iphone that there is still the 30 dollar unlimited. However we all have learned reps do not know much info about such things and it wouldn't be smart business wise to tell my brother otherwise so that they would not lose him as a client.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Wulf
05-19-2011, 07:45 PM
It maybe the future, but I can live without it. I would be good with a phone that can receive email, the internet is mostly for entertainment. And if Netflix officially comes out for all android devices, on top of the other streaming data apps like Pandora, 1 and 2gb wont work out to well with those type of plans. like I said I can easily get up to 3gb of data, but that mostly entertainment, and that's not worth the estimated $40+.

Deodex Ginger Man is ready for action.....

RETG
05-19-2011, 08:53 PM
What a unique idea! Pay for what you use, and not subsidize the costs for those who use more.

I would love to have my costs dropped to 1gb for $20.00.

ryant35
05-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Most people use more than 1gb, I used 7gb last month using the internet & streaming internet radio for 6 hours a day, and 13 back in December. You save $10 and we pay a whole lot more.

And this is without using Netflix for more than a few minutes.

ashpdwinDX
05-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Well this would suck, currently my phone is my only source of internet and I use roughly 7 gigs a month...and that's without tethering at all. If this affects everyone right away My dad and me are deffinetely gonna have to watch what we use and more than likely I'm going to be flashing this bad boy to Cricket if they have coverage where I live (which is one of the only reasons we're with VZW in the first place).

And they better be offering something like $10 for every gig used or something, none of this possible $20 for 1 gig crud, and hopefully let there be an option for the unlimited still.

mikeinrichmond
05-19-2011, 09:11 PM
I'd like to see a 5Gb for $20 and 10Gb for $30 plan, tethering included... Not likely, but it would be nice...

supercaliber64
05-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Title says it all.
$20 for 1Gb to tether. Rip off.
1st AT&T adds caps to DSL and now VZW adding caps.

gravybird
05-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Most people use more than 1gb, I used 7gb last month using the internet & streaming internet radio for 6 hours a day, and 13 back in December. You save $10 and we pay a whole lot more.

And this is without using Netflix for more than a few minutes.

Radioio:-)

Vidfinnx
05-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah at home dsl cap is ridiculous

sent from Droid X
on good ole froyo
Rubix focused 2.0.1

ryant35
05-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Radioio:-)

Yup and Heidiandfrank.com

Mikey
05-20-2011, 08:00 AM
No unlimited data is why I left AT&T, I wanted a new phone without a data limit.
Not that I use alot but its nice knowing I dont have to worry about extra charges when i use the internet.

AT&T wasnt the first to add a data cap to Home service. Comcast has that honor , Unless someone did that before them.
Honestly unless you are downloading Torrents or P2P data , your not going to hit the DSL or Cable data cap.

Old_Fart
05-20-2011, 08:11 AM
AT&T just got a class action lawsuit slapped on them for their rigged bandwidth metering. So... things could get a little interesting.

jwalz
05-20-2011, 09:01 AM
How do I find out how much data a month i use? If im under a gb and its only 20 bucks ill be saving 10 a month. if im over a gb you can guarantee ill be switching my providers real quick!!!!!

ryant35
05-20-2011, 09:11 AM
How do I find out how much data a month i use? If im under a gb and its only 20 bucks ill be saving 10 a month. if im over a gb you can guarantee ill be switching my providers real quick!!!!!

Download the Verizon Wireless app or go to verizonwireless.com and log into your account.

jwalz
05-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Thank you

lilsweepr
05-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Honestly unless you are downloading Torrents or P2P data , your not going to hit the DSL or Cable data cap.

My wife uses our VZW mifi for her work as an office manager remoting into the work computer, the oldest uses it for facebook and some videos and music. We occasionally go over the 5gb "unlimited" data it is set up with now. We did get setup with the additional 1 gig for $10 plan although that did not get offered till we had made some rather large overage payments. We have to keep an eye on the data we use and there is never any consistency in how much vzw thinks we use each month. We live out where there is no cable or wired DSL but if it ever comes we will be jumping on it for sure. And yes i would like to be able to download some torrents on occasion but as it is now i will just have to do that through my phone.

My reference to "unlimited" is from when they used this term when we first started using the home service. It was never unlimited for us and always had the 5gb cap. I believe they have removed any reference to "unlimited".

jwalz
05-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Well if its true ill be switching .... im at almost 2gb and my wife just over 1gb..... bye bye verizon

lilsweepr
05-20-2011, 09:21 AM
I believe the question hanging in the balance is about being grandfathered in to unlimited until you make a contract change.

spodoc
05-20-2011, 09:38 AM
I just called VZW. They said you would be grandfathered, but the woman with whom I spoke didn't inspire much confidence in her answeres. She just kept repeating that they hadn't been trained in any new data plans. I point blank asked her if I can keep my unlimited data and she said yes, as long as you don't make plan changes.

This is congruent with how VZW has treated me for years. They have allowed me to renew my contract, get a new phone, and keep my old cheap promo plan that I was on when I had dumb phones. I suggest if you want a better answer, call VZW multiple times and ask multiple people. Then go to VZW store and ask them. At least you can average their answers together.

My gut tells me that we will be able to keep unlimited. I also asked the rep if I added a TB to my wife's line (she has a dumb phone) would that be a different data plan than the one I'm on since it's LTE. She said no, they would be the same data plans. So this idea of "locking in unlimited LTE" this week as P3 suggested doing, I'm not sure it's necessary. Still probing and asking questions though.

redwinger2001
05-20-2011, 09:43 AM
This wouldn't apply to those who already have a contract would it? Wouldn't it only apply to New people signing up? That would be a violation of the contract that I signed... right?

spodoc
05-20-2011, 10:02 AM
This wouldn't apply to those who already have a contract would it? Wouldn't it only apply to New people signing up? That would be a violation of the contract that I signed... right?

No, but the question is when your two years are up and you sign a new contract to get a new phone, will they "extend" your unlimited data plan or force you to accept their new tiered plans. My experience with VZW has been they would let me extend plans.

jeovany
05-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Well, I use about 5gb of data every month, so if they plan to cap our data plans, im gonna have to switch to another carrier. Being that i don't have a contract anymore. VZW is a little pricey to begin with in the first place, but they do have service every where you go.

Mike7143
05-20-2011, 10:37 AM
No, but the question is when your two years are up and you sign a new contract to get a new phone, will they "extend" your unlimited data plan or force you to accept their new tiered plans. My experience with VZW has been they would let me extend plans.

My gut feeling on this one is no. I would think they'd force you to sign a new contract to get the discount on a new phone and in the process since it's a new contract they'd charge you for the new contract. But perhaps there are some loopholes or Verizon employees looking out for some of us!

kmudd3
05-20-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm thinking that as long you don't make any changes to your existing plan, things will stay the same for you....even if you upgrade phones.

brandonfish
05-20-2011, 11:03 AM
I spoke to a verizon rep this morning who assured me that unlimited data plans would be grandfathered in and remain unchanged upon renewal of your contract, as long as you keep the same plan. This makes sense, as I'm sure Verizon is not looking to start hemorrhaging customers. Sprint is rapidly expanding, and significantly cheaper, so I'm sure Verizon is not planning to infuriate their customers in any way. A long time ago I had mobile web on a regular phone, and when Verizon raised their mobile web rates, I retained the original pricing for several years until purchasing a smartphone. Never fear!

spodoc
05-20-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm thinking that as long you don't make any changes to your existing plan, things will stay the same for you....even if you upgrade phones.

That has been my experience with them over the past 10 years.

spodoc
05-20-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm just not understanding P3's tweet about rushing out to get a 4G phone and lock in pricing. Has me thinking there will be some change in the future that will dis-allow LTE access by LTE phones on grandfathered plans. I do remember reading in a thread here about PRL that you have a different PRL if you are on a grandfathered plan. Wondering if they could do that with data. meh, probably wind up getting the TB for my second phone anyway. Gotta go to VZW store and see how the screen looks outside compared to the X.

brandonfish
05-20-2011, 11:26 AM
I wonder if tiered data plans will mean cheaper or even free wireless tethering. After all, they're gonna want you to exceed your data limits :)

iDr0id
05-20-2011, 11:53 AM
If they did this. I would look for a new provider. I'm gonna want 4g one day and that means ill br tiered. No thank you Verizon. Id go to sprint and take the ****ty reception and not be throttled than to put up with Verizon being dumbasses

Willup
05-20-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm sure we will be grandfathered in however I believe that when we switch from 3g to a 4g phone they could potentially call that a new data network and slam ya with a Tiered Plan. This is the whole reason I left At&T, I had a phone that wasn't technically a smartphone. When to upgrade and they told me its not a smart phone and it would be a new data network, and they were going to charge me a tiered plan even tho I had unlimited data plan on my previous phone. I won't stand for that crap. I have only been with Verizon for a couple months and don't want to leave just because I want a 4g phone.

spodoc
05-20-2011, 12:15 PM
If they did this. I would look for a new provider. I'm gonna want 4g one day and that means ill br tiered. No thank you Verizon. Id go to sprint and take the ****ty reception and not be throttled than to put up with Verizon being dumbasses

For many of us in the sticks, sprint=fail. It could be free for all I care. No service means I can't use. I wish there was more carrier choice.

hillmom
05-20-2011, 12:26 PM
I just looked up my usage, last month was .908 gb and so far this month ( with 3 days left on the billing cycle) I've used .398 gb. Most of my use is on WiFi ( home, patents and in-laws). I didn't want the unlimited plan when we got the phone because I knew that I wouldn't use much data. However 1 gb for $20 is ridiculous! I would be pissed if I lost all that possible date usage and only paying $10 less... Personally, I think $5 a GB is much more reasonable.

wagman67
05-20-2011, 12:29 PM
I personally think tiered plans are fine, if they would only be fair and let their customers play on the same, leveled, field. Here is what I mean: don't make the customer lock into a plan, let it happen naturally and charge for the end result. The customer should be allowed to sign up for a "data plan", but not be locked into a price. If they use under a GB in a month, they are charged at the 1GB rate that month. If they use 3.7GB one month, then they are charged wherever that amount falls in the tier for that month.

I am required to pay $30 a month for unlimited data, but in the last 9 months, I have only exceeded 1GB one time (and it was barely exceeded). With a tiered plan, I should be able to save money, unless they charge $30 for the first GB of use.

hillmom
05-20-2011, 12:30 PM
I do remember reading in a thread here about PRL that you have a different PRL if you are on a grandfathered plan.

I'm still on an Alltel plan, so that must be why my PRL is different? 30068

hillmom
05-20-2011, 12:36 PM
I personally think tiered plans are fine, if they would only be fair and let their customers play on the same, leveled, field. Here is what I mean: don't make the customer lock into a plan, let it happen naturally and charge for the end result. The customer should be allowed to sign up for a "data plan", but not be locked into a price. If they use under a GB in a month, they are charged at the 1GB rate that month. If they use 3.7GB one month, then they are charged wherever that amount falls in the tier for that month.

I am required to pay $30 a month for unlimited data, but in the last 9 months, I have only exceeded 1GB one time (and it was barely exceeded). With a tiered plan, I should be able to save money, unless they charge $30 for the first GB of use.

I like that!

spodoc
05-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm still on an Alltel plan, so that must be why my PRL is different? 30068

That was my understanding from the thread that I read. So, they are letting you have verizon service at your old rate, but if it's a different PRL, then you have a different service than I have. 30068 could mean you have access to more towers, bu I doubt it. My suspicion is that verizion has negotiated more roaming and my PRL therefore lets me have access to more towers and thus better service. If so, I wonder if they could do something similar with data. Speculation at this point, but something fun to think about.

hillmom
05-20-2011, 01:27 PM
That was my understanding from the thread that I read. So, they are letting you have verizon service at your old rate, but if it's a different PRL, then you have a different service than I have. 30068 could mean you have access to more towers, bu I doubt it. My suspicion is that verizion has negotiated more roaming and my PRL therefore lets me have access to more towers and thus better service. If so, I wonder if they could do something similar with data. Speculation at this point, but something fun to think about.

I think you have better service, but to get what we have on a Verizon plan would cost us $50 more a month! I have phone service everywhere I need it. I can also deal with a small hole in 3g service when we drive over Craters of the Moon to keep our phone bill at $107.

supercaliber64
05-20-2011, 01:31 PM
If it's try they are going to add shared data, them I'm for some kind of change. Both my wife and I have Droid's and I'm paying $60/month, I'd gladly pay $40 or even $50 for a shared plan that's more then 2Gb/month

truckroot
05-20-2011, 01:47 PM
DX2 may b in my future, just to lock in two more years of unlimited data.

Leach19m
05-20-2011, 02:55 PM
I'd like to see a 5Gb for $20 and 10Gb for $30 plan, tethering included... Not likely, but it would be nice...

I'd be onboard with that. Now that I have WiFi at home and a xoom, I will be using a lot less data, so they pricing structure would save me some cash!

Sent from my Droid X, which Netflix thinks is an HTC Vision!

gunner1982
05-20-2011, 03:10 PM
DX2 may b in my future, just to lock in two more years of unlimited data.

Why is everyone so worried about locking in if you don't use your new every two and yes it sucks to say but pay full retail for a phone they can't just change your plan

mikeinrichmond
05-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Why is everyone so worried about locking in if you don't use your new every two and yes it sucks to say but pay full retail for a phone they can't just change your plan

I'm concerned about locking in the 4G plan price, which is $30 for unlimited ATM, which will be changing this summer as well. Since I currently do not have 4G service, I could see VZW putting me on a tiered plan if I were to wait and signup next year...

spodoc
05-20-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm concerned about locking in the 4G plan price, which is $30 for unlimited ATM, which will be changing this summer as well. Since I currently do not have 4G service, I could see VZW putting me on a tiered plan if I were to wait and signup next year...

Yeah p3's tweet has me thinking that will hapen

ryant35
05-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Verizon denies plan to axe unlimited data | abc7.com (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/business&id=8142378)

FutureFuzz
05-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Well that is good news! I can upgrade end of July first week of Aug and I'm really hoping the Bionic will be out by then :) I like my unlimited data.

Bkdodger
05-22-2011, 04:59 PM
I would like to hold off as long as possible..I have upgrade I can use now but love the X and only if I had to lock in unlimited b4 July would I change ...keeping fingers crossed ...

Sent from ÍlGato's X
Liberty GBv0.5 bluebread

ryant35
05-22-2011, 09:03 PM
I would like to hold off as long as possible..I have upgrade I can use now but love the X and only if I had to lock in unlimited b4 July would I change ...keeping fingers crossed ...

Sent from ÍlGato's X
Liberty GBv0.5 bluebread

Go back and read two posts above, I posted a news story where VZW has said they are not getting rid of the unlimited plan.

Bkdodger
05-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Go back and read two posts above, I posted a news story where VZW has said they are not getting rid of the unlimited plan.

Oh no I read it my friend ..thank you for the info ..I was saying it as I hope it is indeed true bc alot of mixed signals around including Verizon.

Sent from ÍlGato's X
Liberty GBv0.5 bluebread

ryant35
05-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Oh no I read it my friend ..thank you for the info ..I was saying it as I hope it is indeed true bc alot of mixed signals around including Verizon.

Sent from ÍlGato's X
Liberty GBv0.5 bluebread

Oh now that I read your response again it makes sense. :)

FutureFuzz
05-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Unlimited at this price im cool, hope they don't bumb the price

Bkdodger
05-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Oh now that I read your response again it makes sense. :)

All good sometimes I think one way and reading it sounds different ..but I'm all for unlimited ..seriously the way I see it ..why should I pay more for internet on phone than home? Wtf ..

Sent from ÍlGato's X
Liberty GBv0.5 bluebread

anonymous-x
05-23-2011, 01:31 AM
To add, I called Verizon concerning this & was told that if we already have unlimited we will be grandfathered into this new plan & our unlimited plans will not change.
True progress is rampant & if this info I've been given isn't true then we can be upset.

GlowinSmurff
05-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Considering that every $29.99 unlimited plan right now includes 3g/4g it would probably be safe to assume, that if u renew ur contract/not change to "new minutes" stuff that your plan would be locked in for LTE if u do get it in the future through a new phone, even if they restructure the data plans...Verizon is actually quite nice in they don't force plan changes upon exsisting customers that don't want to change plans, this has been my experience w/ verizon since 2004. u can upgrade phones freely w/ contract extensions, without change your plans.

seansockol
05-23-2011, 05:24 PM
They would have to do the same thing AT&T did once they stopped giving unlimited data. The prior subscribed customers would get to keep the unlimited plan, and it would no longer be offered to new customers.

**DROID X Liberty v.5 GingerBread**

spodoc
05-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Considering that every $29.99 unlimited plan right now includes 3g/4g it would probably be safe to assume, that if u renew ur contract/not change to "new minutes" stuff that your plan would be locked in for LTE if u do get it in the future through a new phone, even if they restructure the data plans...Verizon is actually quite nice in they don't force plan changes upon exsisting customers that don't want to change plans, this has been my experience w/ verizon since 2004. u can upgrade phones freely w/ contract extensions, without change your plans.

That's been my experience as well.

TheLegend27
06-10-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm actually an agent for verizon, and I can promise that you will belle grandfathered in to the unlimited data package. We still have custys who have old alltel plans

Snow02
06-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Any definitive word on whether you need a 4G phone prior to tiered data rolling out in order to maintain unlimited? Common sense tells me no, but the prevailing theory seems to be that you do.

I'm assuming you can just add a 4G phone to the account and be good to go, as 4G access is added, but the actual data plan isn't any different.

DrSadistic
06-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Here's a question... I purchased a Droid X for my wife and since our family share plan was full, we put it on the prepaid plan with unlimited text and data. Will tiered plans affect prepaid phones as well? I should think that even though this line is prepaid, it should still be grandfathered.

ryant35
06-10-2011, 10:48 AM
A few posts ago I posted a link to a story where Verizon has denied changing the data plans to tiered.

kmudd3
06-10-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm actually an agent for verizon, and I can promise that you will belle grandfathered in to the unlimited data package. We still have custys who have old alltel plans

I talked to rep recently and was told that I would be grandfathered in unless I upgraded my device...once I upgraded my device through subsidized pricing it would be subject the new pricing plans. The only way around that would be to buy a phone a full price. Also, lots of people in the forums have been told the same information. Whats your take on that?

inceptor
06-10-2011, 03:31 PM
I posed the question of what would happen to my data plan after the tiered pricing goes into effect. This is what Verizons rep replied with:

"Good afternoon David,

My name is Renee and you have an excellent question surrounding what will happen to the unlimited data plan when the pricing is changed to tiered. I certainly understand your concern and I will be happy to assist you today. For those customers who are on the unlimited data plan will not be required to change plans when the option for tiered megabyte allowances is available and below I have provided additional information.

Your question is a great one and I can assure you that if you were to upgrade to a Smartphone now, you will absolutely be able to continue on this plan for as long as you have the phone. Additionally, if you determine that one of the tiered plans is more cost effective for you, you can change to a lower plan and save money; however, the unlimited plan will not be available from that point forward. ......."

anonymous-x
06-11-2011, 12:51 PM
That 4G LTE people better watch out, the LTE is interfering with the Gps, the government , including John Deere...
I use my DX & I'm comfortable waiting until the LTE & they're at odds with the government is decided.

TheLegend27
06-17-2011, 06:26 AM
I talked to rep recently and was told that I would be grandfathered in unless I upgraded my device...once I upgraded my device through subsidized pricing it would be subject the new pricing plans. The only way around that would be to buy a phone a full price. Also, lots of people in the forums have been told the same information. Whats your take on that? Once you're in, you're in. We have alltel customers upgrade to verizon phones still, but they retain their cheap alltel plan. If you go to a corporate verizon then they may try to get you out of that unlimited data package bc they receive a little commission on conversions of that sort(so I've been told). I saw a post earlier that was absolutely correct, and it stated if you ever change from that unlimited plan then you will never get it back. Keep that in mind if you're trying to save money and switch to a tiered family data package. They aren't out uet, but will be in the near future

spodoc
06-17-2011, 06:54 AM
I think the specific thing that has a lot of people wondering is what happens if VZW creates a new LTE days plan. P3 tweeted that if you had a LTE phone now you'd be able to keep LTE unlimited but if you wait then buying a LTE phone latercwoukd mean you'd have to choose from the new plans even though you have unlimited 3g now. Most people's talk is just what they think orchope will happen but P3 has some serious inside knowledge and he bought a LTE phone to "lock in" his unlimited. Makes you think.

Mike7143
06-17-2011, 01:31 PM
UGH!!! I'm about to come into about $500 and was going to enter the tablet world with a new Toshiba Thrive... Or should I use the dough to straight up by a 4G phone so that I can be grandfathered in? $*@$ you Verizon! Yet phone reps are STILL telling me that they're not doing tiered data plans, one even told me "we're not like AT&T, we treat our customers well and don't follow any of their bad plans for data tiers." LOL you've GOT to be kidding me.

spodoc
06-17-2011, 02:27 PM
UGH!!! I'm about to come into about $500 and was going to enter the tablet world with a new Toshiba Thrive... Or should I use the dough to straight up by a 4G phone so that I can be grandfathered in? $*@$ you Verizon! Yet phone reps are STILL telling me that they're not doing tiered data plans, one even told me "we're not like AT&T, we treat our customers well and don't follow any of their bad plans for data tiers." LOL you've GOT to be kidding me.

Reps are variable in there knowledge and their motives are to sell you stuff andcleep you as a customer. Based on that, I don't think I trust what they are forecasting.

Bungle
06-21-2011, 03:56 PM
thanks to Mydroidworld.com

Leach19m
06-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Yay! And since there's no seperate 3g and 4g data plans, that means we can keep unlimited when we upgrade to a 4g phone.

Loving me some CM4DX

Bungle
06-21-2011, 04:12 PM
I ordered a Thunderbolt this morning at about 2am. Wake up to this news.
so pissed.