PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what to do... advise please!

mahagam3r
05-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Hey -

So, I'm running STOCK 4.5.595 and I can't get my root back... I can't even boot into clockworkrecovery, so I can't restore a nandroid backup of previous gingerbread builds either. Is my only option to SBF? I didn't want it to come to that, but If it's my only option in order to get the OTA or to get back to rooted GB I guess i'll have to suck it up and do it... Help please? Thanks so much...

cbmgg.
05-18-2011, 02:44 PM
You can try Gingerbread 1.20; not sure if it works on. 595 stock but definitely on .595 Deox

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

cbmgg.
05-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Sorry I mean gingerbreak 1.20

akeezy
05-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Z4root should do the trick. That's what I used

skennelly
05-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Z4root should do the trick. That's what I used

Everything I've read says that z4 doesn't work on GB, you need gingerbreak.

DMXL
05-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Everything I've read says that z4 doesn't work on GB, you need gingerbreak.

worked for me on gb liberty v.05

popcenator
05-18-2011, 06:03 PM
worked for me on gb liberty v.05

Liberty is a prerooted ROM.

GBLDX

DMXL
05-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Liberty is a prerooted ROM.

GBLDX

oh yeah.... duh lol

popcenator
05-18-2011, 06:07 PM
oh yeah.... duh lol

Lol its ok, gingerbreak should work as mentioned above

GBLDX

JNEHAMA
05-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Not if it's the unrooted stock from TBH. Lots of people have had trouble rooting it that have posted on MDW. I would try all versions of gingerbreak but if they don't work SBF is the only other way back to froyo for the ota or to any other build. Don't let sbf intimidate you. There are some great threads here that can talk you through it. As a matter of fact WugFresh just updated his all in one program for windows that will run 1kids Linux iso. My understanding is all you have to do is download the program, start it, hook up your phone when it tells you and wait till its done. I'm on the phone and can't link but I think it's stickied under gingerbread forums, either help or hacks. Good luck.

Mike7143
05-18-2011, 09:39 PM
This is the exact same issue I'm having. I can't get Gingerbreak (any of the 3 versions) to get root back on 595 stock from MDW. I've SBF'd twice now trying to get it to go. I heard there were users who were having issues with root in the odexed version as well leaving the only apparently "good" zip the deodexed 595. I've about given up on the attempts to root even though there are a few users here and there that claim they got their stock 595 to root with Gingerbreak. I personally think they had flashed the ORIGINAL 595 stock zip that was posted and has since been updated because the first one was somehow broken.

In terms of SBFing... here...
Windows 7 Solution - Works great if you can follow directions to a T (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/22394-sbf-detailed-guide-success-windows-7-a.html) <-- Method I personally use, tried and true.
Easy Live CD - Just need a blank CD (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html)
Super easy - double click an .exe file (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/26283-sbfportable-standalone-sbf-program-plugin-doubleclick-done.html) err, right click and run as administrator just in case...

EDIT: here's my sob story:
I SBF'd to Froyo, flashed to 588, then to 595-stock.zip (the latest one from MDW). Everything went smooth as butter installing and etc. Turned on debugging, installed Gingerbreak V1.2. It opens, does it's thing, dismounts my SD card twice in a row and then reboots. Upon reboot, there's no Superuser app and Titanium can't get root. First I downloaded Superuser. Then I downloaded root checker and under the "simple" mode it said I HAD root but DIDN'T have Busybox installed correctly. So then I tried getting it through Ti, no luck, said install failed. Then I got Jrummy's Busybox installer, that said it couldn't install it cause I didn't have root. Then I did root checker again under "advanced" mode and it said I DIDN'T have root OR busybox. Definitely don't have root. Just for the heck of it installed D2 Bootstrapper, Bootstrapped, but when I hit reboot recovery it doesn't reboot, probably cause it doesn't have root...
Anyway... I figured what the hell, tried V1.0 and V1.1 of Gingerbreak, neither worked either. So now I'm back on 588 trying to figure out how to get to 595 with stock and root after. I have been on 595 odexed but I had an issue with D2 Bootstrapper where I went to get to clockwork, it rebooted, and instead of clockwork I was stuck in a loop that couldn't be fixed with a data wipe or anything. Couldn't get into clockwork either. I was told that people had had issues with the root in the 595-odexed.zip so I SBF'd and tried 595-stock.zip and well, the rest is history and described above...

JNEHAMA
05-18-2011, 11:20 PM
@mike7143 can i ask why you want to go to. 595 stock and not just use the prerooted, deodexed. 595. I assumed the only reason for that stock. 595 was for the possible ota. Now it seems that whenever ota comes we will need to get to froyo stock. What am I missing. Is there an advantage to that version versus the deodexed one?

popcenator
05-18-2011, 11:25 PM
@mike7143 can i ask why you want to go to. 595 stock and not just use the prerooted, deodexed. 595. I assumed the only reason for that stock. 595 was for the possible ota. Now it seems that whenever ota comes we will need to get to froyo stock. What am I missing. Is there an advantage to that version versus the deodexed one?

I would think the prerooted deodexed version has the advantage over the stock. My only assumption is that people install it to prepare for the OTA but as you stated, we need to be on froyo regardless to receive it.

GBLDX

Mike7143
05-18-2011, 11:33 PM
lol call me lame but I just prefer to root it myself, and feel better starting with stock then rooting. I don't want deodexed as it's unnecessary for me (no roms or themes for me). And like I said, had a loop issue with odexed 595 after trying to bootstrap. Though it may have been caused by some residual settings since I restored my 588 data only on the 595 immediately after goin to 595?

Yes I know Froyo is the only path to the OTA too.

I guess I forgot to mention that part... I restored my 588 data on top of 595 just after flashing. Next time I tried to go to clockwork it looped. Could the 588 data restore be the culprit?

akeezy
05-18-2011, 11:45 PM
have you tried z4root yet? I know some say it doesnt work, but before i even looked into gingerbreak, I stuck with good ole z4 as soon as I booted into stock 595 and it worked for me. I used the deodexed version though. I know you say you don't need the themes or roms but it won't make a difference other than be your best chance at rooting right now

Mike7143
05-18-2011, 11:48 PM
have you tried z4root yet? I know some say it doesnt work, but before i even looked into gingerbreak, I stuck with good ole z4 as soon as I booted into stock 595 and it worked for me. I used the deodexed version though. I know you say you don't need the themes or roms but it won't make a difference other than be your best chance at rooting right now

The deodexed version is not stock, it's already rooted... Which is why Z4 "worked" for you. I highly doubt Z4 will work on truly stock 595, but it wouldn't hurt to try I suppose.

And yeah, I may just run deodexed.

akeezy
05-19-2011, 01:33 AM
oh yea your right. shame on me haha. and yea! pre rooted seems to be your best bet. Weird that youre having bad luck with everything else

JNEHAMA
05-19-2011, 08:33 AM
@mike7143 clearly the stock. 595 was rooted since we have the prerooted versions, but its clearly not easy and is causing lots of grief. You seem to have tried all the available options unless P3Droid has some suggestions.

As to the odexed vs. Deodexed, I think the later is inherently more stable for anyone who does any modifications. Even when we flash something that is not specifically theme related it may affect an odexed file. I think this is particularly true in gingerbread where the png's are not just in framework.res but also systemUI. Anyway you seem to enjoy working on it so if you find a work around please post it.

As to 588 data on 595,it should be okay in theory but given your experience I guess I would use an alternative. It is nice though not having to do a full setup all over again.

Anyway good luck with any path you pick. I'm less adventurous. I have two stable gingerbread nandroids, one of Apex 2 Gingerbread 591 & Liberty 05 gingerbread. 591. They both do everything I want and I'm testing each one out and playing around with launchers. My goal is to have explored them thoroughly so when they become available on the final gb form I will know which is best for me. I flip back and forth @every 5-702 days. Just for the fun of it. I'll try. 595 out if they move to that build especially Apex.

popcenator
05-19-2011, 08:40 AM
lol call me lame but I just prefer to root it myself, and feel better starting with stock then rooting. I don't want deodexed as it's unnecessary for me (no roms or themes for me). And like I said, had a loop issue with odexed 595 after trying to bootstrap. Though it may have been caused by some residual settings since I restored my 588 data only on the 595 immediately after goin to 595?

Yes I know Froyo is the only path to the OTA too.

I guess I forgot to mention that part... I restored my 588 data on top of 595 just after flashing. Next time I tried to go to clockwork it looped. Could the 588 data restore be the culprit?

Always wipe data when updating to a newer build. Restoring data from a previous build will cause errors in the system, that's why its always recommended wipe data and start with a fresh setup.

GBLDX

Snow02
05-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Always wipe data when updating to a newer build. Restoring data from a previous build will cause errors in the system, that's why its always recommended wipe data and start with a fresh setup.

GBLDX

I haven't done one data wipe from .588 to .591 to .595. I would say wipe after a new rom install, but if you're just updating stock it should be fine.

But you're right, always wipe if it loops. I'd just prefer to not do it preemptively if it's not necessary.

Mike7143
05-19-2011, 09:40 AM
When updating from 588 to 595 stock I had wiped data and cache probably a good 5 times in a row. I then flashed the 595-stock.zip file. After it had flashed and completed, I immediately went to advanced restore and restored my data only from 588. I had read that it was ok to do, but maybe in my case it caused an issue, I'm not sure. I could see that restoring 588 data to 595 may have caused the odd loop after bootstrapping, but keeping me obtaining root? I don't know about that...

I suppose P3 doesn't just pop in here, I'll have to ask him on twitter or something?

Snow02
05-19-2011, 09:44 AM
What happens when you run gingerbreak, mike?

popcenator
05-19-2011, 09:49 AM
I haven't done one data wipe from .588 to .591 to .595. I would say wipe after a new rom install, but if you're just updating stock it should be fine.

But you're right, always wipe if it loops. I'd just prefer to not do it preemptively if it's not necessary.

I would agree with you but in my experience, not doing so always resulted in some miscellaneous errors. You're right though, you shouldn't do so preemptively, only if necessary. Its just nice to avoid any problems.

GBLDX

Mike7143
05-19-2011, 10:23 AM
When I ran Gingerbreak V1.2 on stock 595, I first enabled debugging. I also made sure (when do I not?!) I had my formatted SD card in and mounted. I then installed Gingerbreak V1.2, opened the app, clicked ok or whatever at the warning screen, and hit Root. A status window opens up showing it's doing it's thing, then about 20 seconds later in the notification bar it says it's safe to remove my SD card. Then, about 5 seconds after that, it tells me again that it's safe to remove my SD card. Then the phone reboots. It takes longer than a normal reboot to load (sits at the searching red eye longer). It finally boots, mounts my SD card, and that's it. There's no superuser app and none of my root applications work.

I then downloaded the superuser app and installed it. It opens, but no apps are listed as having root access. Then I downloaded Root Checker. It initially said I had root but no busybox when I checked in the "basic" or whatever mode. So I opened Titanium, hit problems, and tried to get busybox. It said it failed. Then I got Jrummy's busybox installer from the market. It installed but when opening it it said it didn't have root access, wouldn't work, and closed by its self. Then I ran root checker again in advanced mode and it said I didn't have root or busybox. Then for the heck of it I installed D2 Bootstrapper. It installed, hit bootstrap recovery, nothing. Then clicked reboot recovery, and nothing. Then I tried rooting with Gingerbreak V1.1, no luck. Then I tried V1.0, no luck either. I uninstalled and rebooted between install/uninstall of versions and between each failed attempt.

EDIT: Sorry, being as detailed as I can possibly be.

Snow02
05-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Well, gingerbreak appears to be running normally. It's normal to have to install busybox after rooting. I just let droid overclock do it and haven't had any issues with that.

Unfortunately the only thing you can really do is keep running gingerbreak. Don't bother with the older versions. If that doesn't work, obviously you'll have to sbf and re-install. If you have a data backup that shouldn't be a huge deal. Just flash a rooted version next time.

Mike7143
05-19-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm tempted to flash 595 stock again without restoring my 588 data and see what happens. I don't know if maybe it was just a faulty install, although I'm not sure if that's possible, or if I just have dumb luck.

Snow02
05-19-2011, 11:04 AM
How did you restore data if you weren't rooted?

Snow02
05-19-2011, 11:05 AM
And if you want root, just flash a rooted build and stop banging your head against the wall.

Mike7143
05-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Before I rebooted from flashing 595 I restored my 588 data in clockwork.
Advice noted. Thanks.

kinjo28
05-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Rooting for you mike. Im in the same boat as you well know it can be done im sure of it persistence is the only way ... btw z4root no go I have tried fifty different ways on gingerbreak also I am determined to figure this out ... but if you get there be for me pls for the love of god post it :-)

Mike7143
05-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Rooting for you mike. Im in the same boat as you well know it can be done im sure of it persistence is the only way ... btw z4root no go I have tried fifty different ways on gingerbreak also I am determined to figure this out ... but if you get there be for me pls for the love of god post it :-)

Z4 won't work at all. But I guess was worth trying just in case. What's your situation? Did you just straight up flash from 588 to 595 stock (no restoring data for you?) and couldn't get it to work either?

Snow02
05-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Before I rebooted from flashing 595 I restored my 588 data in clockwork.
Advice noted. Thanks.

You know, if you're coming from .588, you can flash .595 without wiping or restoring anything. Your data doesn't go anywhere. Just fyi.

Mike7143
05-19-2011, 11:12 AM
You know, if you're coming from .588, you can flash .595 without wiping or restoring anything. Your data doesn't go anywhere. Just fyi.

Srsly? I figured it was just good practice to always wipe data when going from one leak to the next. So you're saying I should just be able to boot into clockwork on 588, flash 595, and reboot and I'll be good to go, same settings and setup and all, just on 595?

kinjo28
05-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Mines simple tbh app flashed o.g. gb update then no wipe then flashed 595 simple

Snow02
05-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Srsly? I figured it was just good practice to always wipe data when going from one leak to the next. So you're saying I should just be able to boot into clockwork on 588, flash 595, and reboot and I'll be good to go, same settings and setup and all, just on 595?

Yes. Lol.

kinjo28
05-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Ffviii was awesome

Mike7143
05-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Yes. Lol.

Even my screen layouts will be saved? I'll have to give this a try!

Mike7143
05-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Well, I've sbf'd, flashed 588, then flashed 595 stock again. No restoring data, just one to the next. Gingerbreak still does not work. Don't know what's up with that.

kinjo28
05-21-2011, 12:05 PM
For real.

Snow02
05-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, I've sbf'd, flashed 588, then flashed 595 stock again. No restoring data, just one to the next. Gingerbreak still does not work. Don't know what's up with that.

Smh. Again, why don't you flash a rooted build?

gunner1982
05-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I also had problems with the odexed version of.595 also got bootlooped when trying to use d2 and also the dx one I would sbf then go for the deodex .595 I've had no problems with it

melfunn
05-21-2011, 12:40 PM
FLASH THE ROOTED VERSION!!!!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk