PDA

View Full Version : So I tried Broodcomb 3 last night....

xjeepguy
05-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Didnt go so well. It would reboot every time I tried to download an app, so I couldnt get bootstrap, I tried to do a factory data reset, but it would get to the screen with the triangle and the android, and when I would press the search button, nothing would happen. So the only option was to sbf and start over. I wiped the phone clean. Very clean. All cache, data reset, Fresh .595 deodexed, then tried to load it again. Same result. Its a shame really, because that thing is beautiful. I loved the look of it, and the boot animation is amazing. Smooth too. Thinking of trying liberty, or ? Any suggestions?

fc127
05-17-2011, 08:01 AM
On GB, instead of pressing search, you need to press both volume up and volume down.

xjeepguy
05-17-2011, 08:10 AM
On GB, instead of pressing search, you need to press both volume up and volume down.

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea. Maybe try it again tonight. Is there a way to make it work and keep that boot animation?

fc127
05-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Not if you have to do a data wipe... I have never had good luck with Drew Garen's ROMs in that respect. Every time I flash one, I end up having to wipe data and all of the fun stuff (included apps, boot animations etc.) are gone.

abinkley
05-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Try this:

Boot into clockwork mod recovery, wipe data and cache. Go into advanced and reboot recovery. Once on triangle, hit both volume keys and wipe data and cache there as well. Now plug in your ex for charging and pull the battery. Unplug the phone and hit the power button. Cm recovery should start and flash brood3 from there. See if that problem persists.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

burrier
05-17-2011, 11:41 AM
easiest fix for that is to go into privacy>factory reset. that way you don't have to work about getting into clockwork manually. fixed the problem for me on broodcomb. but i didn't stick with broodcomb, went right back to my ApeX 2.0 setup haha

akeezy
05-17-2011, 12:32 PM
I can't understand why so many people are having this problem with Drew Garens Roms. Ive used all his roms and never had this issue. I even switch back and forth between them daily with no problems.

lildoug2410
05-17-2011, 12:59 PM
I had tried using these roms in the past with the same problems. What finally fixed it was ..I didn't wipe data. Never had another problem

Bajaman
05-17-2011, 01:42 PM
What works for me is: wipe cache, wipe dalvek cache, then reflash gb deodexed (no reboot), then flash drew garen rom of choice.

I'm on 595 with Foxtrot. Works great and I didn't have to restore anything since I didn't wipe data.

xjeepguy
05-17-2011, 05:38 PM
I got it to work, as soon as I installed the zip, before rebooting, I wiped the cache and data. Lost the boot animation, but the rest of the rom is sweet. The crt animation is still there tho, and I like that better anyway.

fc127
05-17-2011, 06:47 PM
I got it to work, as soon as I installed the zip, before rebooting, I wiped the cache and data. Lost the boot animation, but the rest of the rom is sweet. The crt animation is still there tho, and I like that better anyway.

Wow, inspired by your post I gave FoXTrot another shot... I was on Apex .591. I flashed the .595 zip, then, without rebooting, flashed FoXTrot. I didn't wipe anything during the whole process... interesting. It worked though. I'll give it a shot for a few days, to see how I like it.

Sent from my Gingy DX

xjeepguy
05-17-2011, 07:17 PM
It took a little work, but this rom is worth it. I love the icons in the tool bar. Might try some others now.

akeezy
05-18-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm glad its working for you. Hopefully the other users trying to use DG roms can see this thread and get some success. Ive been posting all over this forum on topics dealing with his roms haha.

His roms are easy to use because factory wipes aren't necessary

craig7220
05-19-2011, 11:25 AM
I have used all of drew garen roms and haven't had any problems. And I don't wipe inbetween.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

akeezy
05-19-2011, 10:20 PM
yea some people's phones just won't work well with these roms. And they do the same steps as we do but still no luck. It's an odd case that should be looked into

cphillips757
05-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Im on liberty gb .591 I want to try broodcomb but want to b able to go back to this rom if I dont like it. My question is can I bounce back n forth from .591 n .595 without sbfing

rudyy
05-19-2011, 10:36 PM
you should be able to boot into bootstrap and restore to an earlier setup.
i had a problem with one of his roms and i restored back to liberty .5.
i'm determined to try another of his roms tomorrow, when i have more time.

akeezy
05-19-2011, 10:42 PM
I went from 588 to 573 on bootstrap after wiping cache and then installing the 573 zip. Rudy, broodcomb doesn't let down. I was on the first broodcomb and its been perfect on each gingerbread build

cphillips757
05-19-2011, 11:07 PM
you should be able to boot into bootstrap and restore to an earlier setup.
i had a problem with one of his roms and i restored back to liberty .5.
i'm determined to try another of his roms tomorrow, when i have more time.

How do I make a backup properly

akeezy
05-19-2011, 11:47 PM
using d2 bootstrap, reboot into recovery. From the clockwork recovery, choose backup/restore and just let it back itself up. Usually takes atleast 5 minutes

cphillips757
05-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Thank you

rudyy
05-20-2011, 10:33 PM
akeezy, i just downloaded tbh app, and it's full of goodies. as soon as i move to 595, i'm going to try some more garen goodness.

akeezy
05-20-2011, 11:22 PM
haha have fun bro. Garen goodies haven't let me down yet.

goldenspartan
05-26-2011, 09:50 PM
I am completly stuck, it will not let me install any apps including bootstrap... and will not boot into clockwork recover,,, tried holding power button and a combination of volume keys and home button and it does nothing. with the home key it just keeps rebooting. PLEASE HELP.

rudyy
05-26-2011, 10:13 PM
ah, can't help other than urge you to go to the rescue squad portion of the forum.

IhasDroidX
05-27-2011, 01:27 AM
The best way to install a DG rom is to follow his instructions to the letter. I have used a lot of his roms and they are very stable & very fast! He also has some of the best boot animations around. Here is what I did when I installed broodcomb 3.

Clear cache & factory reset phone
Load 595-deoxed.zip
Download DROID 2 bootstrap from market
Boot recovery
Install broodcomb WITHOUT clearing cache & factory reset

The first boot will take what seems like 5 minutes but it will boot. If by some chance it doesn't pull the battery and try it again...but seriously I thought I was going to have to pull the battery but then the screen got brighter and loaded up....

IhasDroidX
05-28-2011, 01:53 AM
I am completly stuck, it will not let me install any apps including bootstrap... and will not boot into clockwork recover,,, tried holding power button and a combination of volume keys and home button and it does nothing. with the home key it just keeps rebooting. PLEASE HELP.

I hope this helps.

Power off the phone and power it back on while holding down the home button.
when the android with the triangle pops up stop pressing the home button and press both volume buttons at the SAME time and you will be in the recovery menu. To make a selection you have to use the power button, to scroll up and down use the volume buttons, none of the other buttons will work.

let us know how things work from there.