PDA

View Full Version : ZapX Ginger 4.3

Artisticsoul79
05-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Why in the world is my phone restarting on it's own after I install something from the market?

And I cannot restore my backup from ROM Manager. I have Bootloader but can't seem to get it to come up either.

Suggestions?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

bonzai299
05-15-2011, 01:37 AM
I had this problem as well. Fixed it by doing a factory reset and then reflashing zapx

Here is how to do a hard/factory reset in GB:

Power off, hold the home button then press and hold the power button until the android guy with the triangle shows up. Hit both volume buttons simultaneously and the reset choices will appear. Then use a volume button to scroll down to wipe data/factory reset, choose it with the power button, scroll down to yes, and choose it. It will do it's thing for about a minute. Hit the back button, then go to reboot and click it. This can take as long as 5 minutes to reboot the first time so be patient.

(Swypin' GB on the go)

Artisticsoul79
05-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Thank goodness, I've been able to restore back to .595 Gingerbread.

Artisticsoul79
05-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Thanks, bonzai... I will try that method when I flash back to ZapX.

jeraspie28
05-15-2011, 10:04 AM
I've noticed all of Drew Garen's ROMs do that. You have to boot into recovery and wipe data/cache right after the first boot or you can't install anything. Not sure why. Don't get me wrong, I love his ROMs (I'm running Broodcomb 3 right now and loving it) but not sure about the wipe data after install.

akeezy
05-15-2011, 01:04 PM
I've never had this issue with his roms. And i ONLY use Drew Garen roms. I always wipe cache before installing a zip folder just to clear out the previous rom system

Artisticsoul79
05-16-2011, 11:52 PM
I've never had this issue with his roms. And i ONLY use Drew Garen roms. I always wipe cache before installing a zip folder just to clear out the previous rom system

I'm enjoying the new 595 build and will try out the new rom again soon when I get bored again... :)

Artisticsoul79
05-19-2011, 01:53 AM

Dude, I have been trying DG's roms this evening and have not succeeded in getting them to work flawlessly.. I have wiped/formatted using bootstrapped AND even wiping the system format to no avail!

The following problems that I have are -

Home button will not work! It works now on 595 gingerbread.

Installation of apps from the market and sd card forces phone to restart.

I don't get it.. :(

rudyy
05-19-2011, 03:34 AM
akeezy, i saw one of your posts somewhere and decided to try a garen rom, so i went to his website and started at the top: lexlite gingeraid 4.4.
install was nice and smooth.
started to dl the apps i needed and they would not dl. the phone would reboot every time an app was done downloading, and the home button stopped working.
before install, i wiped cache, data, dalvek cache.
ended up restoring to lg.
maybe i'll try the reboot thing.
really interested in trying other roms.

akeezy
05-19-2011, 10:33 AM
This is how I installed the roms initially. From froyo I installed the 573 gingerbread. Then rebooted, got D2 Bootstrap. Went back into clockwork and installed the 595 gingerbread. Reboot again and then back into clockwork to install the rom. This is all done without wiping anything.

Artisticsoul79
05-19-2011, 12:05 PM
akeezy, i saw one of your posts somewhere and decided to try a garen rom, so i went to his website and started at the top: lexlite gingeraid 4.4.
install was nice and smooth.
started to dl the apps i needed and they would not dl. the phone would reboot every time an app was done downloading, and the home button stopped working.
before install, i wiped cache, data, dalvek cache.
ended up restoring to lg.
maybe i'll try the reboot thing.
really interested in trying other roms.

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one... I tried again this morning, wiping cache only, rebooting and still no luck..

If you get it working rudyy, let me know.. For now I'm sitting out in this until there's an upgrade to his roms...

Sully112277
05-19-2011, 09:39 PM
I am having the same same issue only i cant get into stock recovery to wipe data. I know the steps but they are no help. Tried to from menu/privacy/factory reset also but no luck. time to start over. just gotta wait to till i get my pc

akeezy
05-19-2011, 10:16 PM
its really weird that some people are getting issues with these roms. I honestly don't know what to think. I guess we should just wait till some new drew roms come out and give those a shot

rudyy
05-19-2011, 11:46 PM
If you get it working rudyy, let me know.. For now I'm sitting out in this until there's an upgrade to his roms...

not going to try another of garen's roms until tomorrow, when i have more time.

rudyy
05-20-2011, 05:01 PM
ok then. just finished flashing drew garen's lexlite gingeraid 4.4.
downloaded it, flashed it.
did not wipe caches, did not wipe data.
what i've tried ( download app, phone call, WiFi, home button) all fine.
i did not have to reinstall any apps, though it did come with one or two social apps I don't use, but are popular.
so far, it seems speedy, which is why I chose this rom.
glad i tried it, glad i didn't have to wipe anything.
now I'm going to make a nandroid.

edit: two things i've noticed.
i can't upload an image to this forum (there could be a conflict between the rom and the themed dxf app i'm using)
my liberty toolbox doesn't recognize the rom I'm on and is confused (not a problem, i don't have to use the toolbox with this rom. i'm coming from liberty gingerbread v0.5)

ok, now the nandroid.

akeezy
05-20-2011, 10:55 PM
i'm glad it worked for you. Hopefully others will get better results as well. Yea the liberty toolbox won't work. I tried to change the battery icon haha

pkbest
05-23-2011, 07:17 AM
do some research, and you'll find MOST do but the dev will not agree. I was told no one was having my problem with this new ZapX 4.3 and that it was weird that I was having a problem because "No one else had said anything". Im having the EXACT same flippin issues . I cannot get into CWR or even do a factory reset from inside ZapX GB. I cannot boot into recover using Rom Manager, I cannot get into Recover (android standard) by using Power + Home. If i try that, after it gets past the "M" logo, it shuts the phone off. I cannot SBF as RSD Lite is not seeing my phone when its plugged in. Yes, drivers are installed properly. I'm not a "noob" when It comes to android. I've done development for awhile on this phone and the D2. I dont get actively involved in forums, I just write for UncutAndroid and a few other sites.

ANyway, If anyone can help me out.. dm me on twitter (@airforcegeek) or reply here.. thanks..

pkbest
05-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Making Gen Tsao's Chicken for first time.

wow.. random much?

zcher82
05-28-2011, 06:39 AM
do some research, and you'll find MOST do but the dev will not agree. I was told no one was having my problem with this new ZapX 4.3 and that it was weird that I was having a problem because "No one else had said anything". Im having the EXACT same flippin issues . I cannot get into CWR or even do a factory reset from inside ZapX GB. I cannot boot into recover using Rom Manager, I cannot get into Recover (android standard) by using Power + Home. If i try that, after it gets past the "M" logo, it shuts the phone off. I cannot SBF as RSD Lite is not seeing my phone when its plugged in. Yes, drivers are installed properly. I'm not a "noob" when It comes to android. I've done development for awhile on this phone and the D2. I dont get actively involved in forums, I just write for UncutAndroid and a few other sites.

ANyway, If anyone can help me out.. dm me on twitter (@airforcegeek) or reply here.. thanks..

if you haven't already figured it out, maybe this will help you. i had the same problems with zapx ginger 4.3; couldn't download anything (kept getting quick FC) and couldn't download bootstrapper from my sd card. so i had to SBF. first, if RSD Lite is not seeing your phone, try a different computer (i've found/learned that RSD Lite doesn't work with windows 7, try xp or vista). if you don't have a different computer, do this (this is what i did):

click on this link http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

download the file at the top of the page (1KDStaz0.8.iso) and follow the directions. you'll be making a linux driven disc that you'll use to boot into. basically, it's RSD Lite and the SBF 2.3.340 file all in one simple package (therefore it won't matter what OS you're running on your computer). once the disc starts, it'll run diagnostics on your laptop/computer before it asks you to plug in your phone. the program is very clear when you get to that point. connect your phone, type in "1", and hit enter, let it do it's thing and you'll end up back on stock froyo. from there, you can re-install GB again, if you like.

also, this may help you; accessing root menus for factory reset in GB involves pressing different key combinations.

For Froyo: battery pull > reinstall battery > hold down the home button while powering up > press the search key when you see the exclamation point > navigate with the volume keys to "factory reset" > select with the camera button > navigate to yes > select > wait for it do its thing > use the back key twice to get back to the main menu (or the power button once) and select reboot system.
^^ note that these instructions for factory resetting are for Froyo not GB. ^^
For GB: battery pull > reinstall battery > hold down the home button while powering up > press both volumes when you see the exclamation point > navigate with the volume keys to "factory reset" > select with the power button > navigate to yes > select > wait for it to do its thing > use the power button once to go back to the main menu and select reboot system.

(quote thanks to wugfresh from droidxforums)

zcher82
05-29-2011, 01:00 AM
@pkbest

i just SBF'd again, flashed GB 588, then 595, then zapx ginger 4.3, everything appears to be working fine now! home button works, downloading from market no longer FC's! if you're still interested in zapx, try installing it again. good luck.

3rotorRX8
05-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Ok hope this helps those with problems with Drews. Roms. Start with fresh 595 build, sign in and let sink, load s2r bootstrap. Download one of drews rom of choice, flash but DO NOT wipe or re set.

U should be good to go but as for the home button not working Idk seems all his nightlys have that problem