PDA

View Full Version : gorilla gadgets extended battery REVIEW... includes size, weight, measurements

fade2green514
05-12-2011, 04:17 PM
firstly, this review is for the battery sold by gorilla gadgets specifically for the droid x. personally, i can't do without this battery on a daily basis. i went from worrying about screen brightness every day to being able to use it in the sun (full brightness) without any worries or cares. and, for $25 you really can't beat the value. it matches the exterior finish of the droid x better than other third party extended batteries. its a 3500mah battery so it'll last you more than twice as long as the original battery, even though i tend to use my phone more now, and im also more inclined to leave my data syncing on etc...

benefits:
you wont ever run out of battery life. ive tried taking video, streaming youtube videos, and other things. where before i could drain the battery in a good 6 to 7 hours and be looking for a charger, i have not yet been able to go through this entire battery in a 12 hour period no matter how much i use it.

drawbacks:
its slightly heavier, and bulkier. you can feel it in your pocket more than you could before. that being said, i still use it at the gym in mesh shorts and it isnt any different to me even on the treadmill for music listening and/or checking news stories etc..

approx measurements:

the camera part comes out to about 1/2 (4/8) inches
the battery part comes out to about 5/8 inches
the thinnest part at the bottom with the speaker comes out to be about 3/8 inches.

thats 5/3 thicker than the original thickness of the battery section.

if i had to say anything, this battery is a great value, even for those who won't use it all the time. given that most phones nowadays are power hogs, i think the droid x is great at consuming tiny amounts of power when its idle. but, who wants an amazing phone that has that many capabilities that you're going to keep in your pocket all the time? id rather be able to use it all i want all day especially on sunny days, say at the amusement park or something like that.

pictures/comments:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e55/fade2green514/0512201195004.jpg

as you can see in the above picture, it sits on the battery alone when you set it down. im not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but please note that with the physical buttons on the droid x (sitting on a flat surface not holding the phone) it will actually tilt when you try to click them. in my opinion the biggest drawback to the battery but still not a big deal.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e55/fade2green514/0512201195003.jpg

just so you can get an idea of how big this thing really is. and how ugly it is lol... it looks better than the seidio batteries though, that's for sure.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e55/fade2green514/0512201195002.jpg

so you can compare it with the original battery and its extra thickness. SLIGHTLY more than twice the size. sorry about the bad quality my extra camera is not very good

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e55/fade2green514/05122011.jpg

another comparison both batteries side by side. note that it is the original bh5x, not the bh6x

(i apologize for the wait on the weight, i'll get back to you on this once i borrow my friends jewelry scale)

Dustin0308
05-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Hello. Thanks for the pics, as they are handy. Just a heads up, there is already a thread on this. Mods will probably merge it. I've personally had this battery for quite some time and love it as well..I prefer the size because it seems to fit better in the hand :) Here is the thread I was talking about.
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-accessories-reviews/20332-gorilla-gadgets-3500-mah-review.html

fade2green514
05-12-2011, 05:32 PM
yes i would agree, there are other opinions on the internet about this battery including ones in this forum. however, when buying the battery i couldn't find any thorough reviews about it, with pictures, benefits and drawbacks. not only that but nobody else measured the batteries in comparison with the phone. on top of that, nobody had the weight comparison which i will be posting soon ... hopefully tonight if my friend texts me back.

MICHO
05-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Only one question? Is the batt temp sensor working property? I have an eBay one and it says that the temp stay around 84f I know that's not the case tho.

fade2green514
05-12-2011, 05:49 PM
yes the battery temperature sensor works perfectly on it, liberty 2.0.1 battery info is currently reporting 24 degrees celsius.

for the record 84 degrees fahrenheit is not unacceptable. batteries tend to run pretty warm compared to room temperature. (24 celsius is 75 fahrenheit)

Dustin0308
05-12-2011, 06:23 PM
yes i would agree, there are other opinions on the internet about this battery including ones in this forum. however, when buying the battery i couldn't find any thorough reviews about it, with pictures, benefits and drawbacks. not only that but nobody else measured the batteries in comparison with the phone. on top of that, nobody had the weight comparison which i will be posting soon ... hopefully tonight if my friend texts me back.

Agreed. Great review here. And EVERYTHING works with this battery. Its a great deal. I would suggest also getting the external wall charger from them as well. Will help out and can be a life saver if you need to sbf and your battery is dead.

LiBeRtY TWOpointZEROpointONE

fade2green514
05-12-2011, 07:17 PM
yea i thought about getting the external wall charger myself but i dont ever use up this battery in a day so i dont feel like ill really ever use it.

in fact, ive used it for two days straight probably medium amount of use, i wouldn't say light use because i was listening to music for awhile. this was with syncing turned off btw. the battery level ended up at around 20% (below 30% but before the warning for 15%)

for instance today im at around 78% battery life according to circle battery widget, and i unplugged it around 8 hours ago. ive been doing plenty of texting and playing some music on my computer speakers with it...

TekWarren
05-12-2011, 07:52 PM
The other thread that was linked actually does have a lot of good info and comments on the battery which would have been good if you posted this there. Nonetheless a good post. I have the ebay "version" which the exact same thing only direct from the exporter and even cheaper yet than the GG store. I used my DX last weekend on a motorcycle trip using GPS for several hours. Recorded part of a ride with a GPS app, listened to music, and normal use...and it just lasts. I get a solid two work days worth of use when using this battery and I run with the DX and this batt in an SPI belt a couple times a week listening to Pandora and tracking the run so it does it does work. I won't go back to the stock battery unless this one dies and I have to wait for another one of these to come in.

xxprodigyxx11
05-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Have you tried this in the car dock? Does it fit? I would love a big battery but use the car dock often.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Dustin0308
05-14-2011, 11:17 PM
The other thread that was linked actually does have a lot of good info and comments on the battery which would have been good if you posted this there. Nonetheless a good post. I have the ebay "version" which the exact same thing only direct from the exporter and even cheaper yet than the GG store. I used my DX last weekend on a motorcycle trip using GPS for several hours. Recorded part of a ride with a GPS app, listened to music, and normal use...and it just lasts. I get a solid two work days worth of use when using this battery and I run with the DX and this batt in an SPI belt a couple times a week listening to Pandora and tracking the run so it does it does work. I won't go back to the stock battery unless this one dies and I have to wait for another one of these to come in.

+1 on that...but I'm biased because I started that thread lol

LiBeRtY TWOpointZEROpointONE

Richard3
05-14-2011, 11:21 PM
whtas a good extended battery that would fit in the trident cyclops case?

fade2green514
05-15-2011, 09:27 PM
the extended battery sold at verizon is the only one i think that'll fit cases. and i cant even be sure of that because i dont have it lol. its not much larger than the original battery though

J_Bone
05-16-2011, 07:49 PM
whtas a good extended battery that would fit in the trident cyclops case?None that I know of. I'm looking for one now!

mikeinrichmond
05-16-2011, 07:52 PM
the extended battery sold at verizon is the only one i think that'll fit cases. and i cant even be sure of that because i dont have it lol. its not much larger than the original battery though

I have the OEM extended battery and the difference is minimal, so unless the case is extremely tight on the stock X, it should fit..

psykotikz
05-28-2011, 05:13 PM
just ordered mine today. cant wait to get this beast

Randroidran
05-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Just found this post today and I went to buy it and it says sold out. Is there any other place to find these.

Randroidran
05-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Nevermind just checked and there back in stock. Thanks for posting pictures and reviews it really helped me decide to buy this one.

marenco62589
05-31-2011, 10:59 AM
I too thought that the batteries were sold out. Check the website again because I just ordered mine! Can't wait to get it!

marenco62589
05-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Well I'm glad that you ordered one as well! I don't know about you, but I am in desperate need of more battery life!

J_Bone
05-31-2011, 11:17 AM
I ordered mine from Amazon.

marenco62589
06-01-2011, 05:16 AM
I ordered mine yesterday from their website and it said that it would take about a week before it shipped...then, last night I checked the order form and it has already shipped! Hoping I get this monster by the end of the week! Ill try and post some pics if I get it by the weekend.

Randroidran
06-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Just got mine last night. I drained it to nothing and then charged all night, about 7 hours. It's fully charged and ready to go. Can't wait to see what this baby can do.

slowninja
06-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Hopefully mine is here today!

Dave37
06-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Got mine today. When I put it in it said it was charged to 80%. Gonna drain it all to nothing and charge it up, since that was what I heard was best to do. We'll see.

Randroidran
06-03-2011, 12:39 PM
That's what I heard to. This is my first day using it and the phone feels thinner and lighter than my OG droid. I can't wait to see what this thing can do once it's broke in.

Randroidran
06-03-2011, 06:21 PM
So far it has drained as fast as the stock battery, but i do see some small improvements after each charge.

psykotikz
06-04-2011, 09:54 AM
yeah i dunno mines been acting weird. i ran it out completely and charged it to about 90 last night. its all the way down to 30 % now. i read this happens so i'm not too concerned. im going to drain and charge completely a few more times and see what happens.

has anyone used batt calibration with this?

Randroidran
06-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Im so happy after every charge, it gets better every day. Sometimes it drops fast but when it hits 40% it will hold for a very long time. Each charge gives me about 3 more hours than the last full charge.

Dave37
06-04-2011, 02:45 PM
This if my first full day using it. 7 hours in and I'm at 50%.

Dustin0308
06-04-2011, 08:49 PM
This if my first full day using it. 7 hours in and I'm at 50%.

It goes down quickly ay first. It never seems to die tho, after about 45%

Sent from my ADR6400L using Droid X Forums

psykotikz
06-05-2011, 02:00 PM
i dunno about this battery so far. im going to give it a few for more full charges before i make my final decision but...the charger i got from them isnt working so im wondering if i wasted 50 bucks on this crap.

glshub
06-05-2011, 03:52 PM
I have one coming tomorrow. Cant wait. I cant stand having to charge original battery 2-3 times a day. Thats being conservative....

Now the next thing is finding a tough case that will fit this setuo. I love my phone except for the terrible battery life. Surely someone will make a case that will fit these phones with the extended batteries. Talk about making a fortune... the market for one would be unreal!

I am an outdoorsman. I hunt,fish,ride motorcycles,etc. I know im not the only one that has one of these phones that stay behind a desk in a safe,clean, and impact free environment. Id LOVE to have the otterbox defender or tougher type case to put mine in. Surely someone will step up to the plate and design one.

I cant even find belt case that this phone will fit in yet. I like the ones that mybelt goes through not just a clip on one. If anyone finds something (even a belt type that snaps or has enuffvelcro to safely keep it in) PLEASE pm me. I will be checking in periodically.

One? ..... WHY do they make these phones that eat batteries with an OEM battery that will not last half a day? I mean come on. We buy em to use not look at. Id be happy to spend the $$ t have a phone that could be used all day then charged at nite and then use the next day.

CRAZY

HAVE GOOD DAY

J_Bone
06-06-2011, 12:32 AM
I run my phone on 5% for half a day. You have to use a battery widget to get a better juice reading. But even then its off.

Randroidran
06-06-2011, 08:43 PM
I have been using juice defender with this battery and I have gotin an extra 12 hours out of it. I have it set to turn off my 3g when my screen is off.

J_Bone
06-06-2011, 08:58 PM
I have been using juice defender with this battery and I have gotin an extra 12 hours out of it. I have it set to turn off my 3g when my screen is off.

I was too, but I would lose 3G all together when I turned the screen on. Had to reboot to get 3G.

Im still able to get a complete day (4am till 10pm) without charging. I use gps and watch HBOgo or youtube without worries. But the size is the only bummer.

psykotikz
06-08-2011, 09:32 PM
I was too, but I would lose 3G all together when I turned the screen on. Had to reboot to get 3G.

Im still able to get a complete day (4am till 10pm) without charging. I use gps and watch HBOgo or youtube without worries. But the size is the only bummer.

really? size doesnt bother me at all actually i like it. its the not knowing that kills me the most. that 5% for half a day really throws me. it died twice on me at semi-important moments because i thought it had more left in it. i really think there should be an extended battery reader app or some crap. there is an app for everything and its mother but not for this? i dont get it!

The persuader
06-08-2011, 09:40 PM
My .02 cent worth...

I have the Extended Battery...On a Lucky Day...I will get 9 hours tops on this puppy...When its shows I have 15% left...within 5 or 10 minutes its like someone hit the "Kill Switch" its Crashes...So now...I purchased another Battery so I won't have to worry...

I "Turn n Burn" my Phone with Internet, Texting, Live Wallpaper, Widgets and whatever I missed...to Keep what I like and See on my phone...I Purchased another Battery for Peace Of Mind...

Dave37
06-08-2011, 11:31 PM
So far I'm not impressed. I've put it through about 4 days of heavy use. I have noticed it can stay at 5% for a long time. That's about it. I have not had it die on me yet though... which is more than I can say for the stock battery.

TekWarren
06-09-2011, 07:19 AM
I don't have the Gorilla Gadgets battery per se, I got mine of ebay from China. I think the key thing is people need to remember to wipe battery stats. You simply can't slap it in and expect it to just work longer like you would think. I played with a few different battery apps but eventually stopped using them all and I get a solid 2 working days (or more). I run wifi pretty much full time and I run every other day with GPS on and pandora streaming. There will be some bunk batteries out there...send it back if you think you have given it a good test run. Wipe stats on a full charge (I do overnight) and let it discharge fully a couple times.

psykotikz
06-09-2011, 09:25 AM
I have noticed something. This could just be in my head so dont hold me to it. If I charge the battery in the gg cradle thing I got until the red light goes off it seems to last longer then if I charge the battery while it's in the phone to 100%

edit: also i had my phone at 5% yesterday for most of the day and wanted to let it full run out before charging it overnight so i turned on wifi-full screen brightness-turned on the hangover movie.

i thought it would run out in 10-20 min but i ended up watching the whole thing and staying up to 130 watching it on my phone lol!

J_Bone
06-09-2011, 09:41 AM
So how do we wipe stats?

I've used the left battery widget and its not accurate either. I would love to do away with all the widgets I've tried.

spodoc
06-09-2011, 09:45 AM
So how do we wipe stats?

I've used the left battery widget and its not accurate either. I would love to do away with all the widgets I've tried.

Wipe battery stats is under advanced option using clockwork

spodoc
06-09-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm on my phone right now so I don't have the link but there is a thread here on how to calibrate battery. Wiping batt stats is the first step.

J_Bone
06-09-2011, 09:58 AM
You have to be rooted? If I'm not mistaken, you need to be rooted to use clockwork?

J_Bone
06-09-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm on my phone right now so I don't have the link but there is a thread here on how to calibrate battery. Wiping batt stats is the first step.

I'll try when. I get home to use the pc tonight. I try using search with the app, nothing related came up.

jmashon
07-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Does anyone who has this gorilla battery happen to have a trident cyclops case to see if the phone fits with the battery?

I have seen some forum threads where people stated that their cyclops case would accommodate an extended battery, but without the battery door/cover.

I am curious is this gorilla battery will fit in a cyclops case without the battery cover?

jmashon
07-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Bump..

J_Bone
07-12-2011, 12:00 AM
I deleted stats multiple times, used "battery calibration" and the XDA-pull battery method. Nothing works. I did find this app that tracks it real close.
http://market.android.com/details?id=battery.monitor

Best one I've tested so far.

glshub
07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
How do u "wipe battery" stats on a non rooted phone?

J_Bone
07-13-2011, 06:18 PM
How do u "wipe battery" stats on a non rooted phone?
Unfortunatly you can't. There is the battery pull method on the xda site.

glshub
07-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Guess maybe I'll look into rooting ny phone. I charged it all night. Git up turned it on and within 5 mins it had drppped to 90 %

Rsmin
07-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Unfortunatly you can't. There is the battery pull method on the xda site.

I saw a youtube video the other day showing how to wipe battery stats on rooted and non-rooted phones. They were using the emulator app to wipe stats on the non-rooted phone, but for the life of me I cant find that video now?

Any one else seen it?

glshub
07-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Hope u find it. I would sure lije to see it.

Sent from my Milestone X using Droid X Forums

J_Bone
07-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Guess maybe I'll look into rooting ny phone. I charged it all night. Git up turned it on and within 5 mins it had drppped to 90 %

Mine too. Using all the Rooting methods hasn't helped one bit. Its the battery! All these battery calibrations are for guys who are changing ROMs without a full charge.
I have yet to see anyone with these extended batteries have the phone battery icon work.

Dr1ft1ng0wns
07-19-2011, 01:57 AM
I can't get mine to take a full charge...I'm on darkslide and have tried all the calibration/wiping stats etc, but it won't go above ~3.9v. Any help?

J_Bone
07-19-2011, 07:03 AM
I would try; at full charge (3.9), turn off and pull battery for 10 seconds and reinstall. Plug back in and see if it will charge more.
Also, try to discharge completely. I had to do a battery pull on my discharge to get full capacity.

Dr1ft1ng0wns
07-19-2011, 02:01 PM
The battery pull didn't work, still says it's at 100 percent at a high 3.9. I think it's getting slightly better though, as it read 4.035 this morning while it was on the charger. I think i'll do a couple more full discharges/recharges and see if i can get somewhere.

glshub
07-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Mine is the same way. Have tryed battery pull several times. Full discharge a couple. Still doesn't get where it should. Drops fast at first but will stay at 3.7-8 forever. I don't understand unless it has something to do with the OEM battery chip.

I'm not sure about voltage eanges in phones. I am an electrician not an electronics guy. In my world low voltages have bad effects....ie. heating and higher amp pull. Not sure I'm as in love with this battery as I was.

Sent from my Milestone X using Droid X Forums

Dr1ft1ng0wns
07-21-2011, 01:27 AM
Well 3.7 is the nominal voltage. Maybe it just likes to sit there.

Randroidran
07-22-2011, 01:58 PM
My full charge is a 4.1 volts and i charge it all night. About 7 hours.

J_Bone
07-22-2011, 04:13 PM
That's right where mine is at. 4.142