PDA

View Full Version : Car mount for the Cyclops

Perturabo
05-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a car mount for the Droid X in a Trident Cyclops case. I understand that a standard "dock" isn't going to work (not willing to remove the case every time I have to use GPS, and not really interested in the "docking" features anyway).

It'll probably have to be some kind of adjustable/universal mount. Amazon has this one: Amazon.com: Arkon Universal Windshield with Dashboard and Vent Mount for Smartphones and PDAs (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Universal-Windshield-Dashboard-Smartphones/dp/B003ELOOZO/ref=pd_luc_bxgy_00_04_t_lh)
which seems pretty reasonable, with 3 methods to mount. Should I pull the trigger? Anyone have any other ideas?

Update:Bought the Arkon system, review at the bottom of the page.

Richard3
05-12-2011, 02:03 PM
it seems like a decent product and there is a review of someone using it for the droid x and there is also a picture of someone using the otterbox deffender for the droid.

jwalz
05-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a car mount for the Droid X in a Trident Cyclops case. I understand that a standard "dock" isn't going to work (not willing to remove the case every time I have to use GPS, and not really interested in the "docking" features anyway).

It'll probably have to be some kind of adjustable/universal mount. Amazon has this one: Amazon.com: Arkon Universal Windshield with Dashboard and Vent Mount for Smartphones and PDAs (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Universal-Windshield-Dashboard-Smartphones/dp/B003ELOOZO/ref=pd_luc_bxgy_00_04_t_lh)
which seems pretty reasonable, with 3 methods to mount. Should I pull the trigger? Anyone have any other ideas?

If you to get it would you be able to post and let me know how it works I am in the same boat and would like to buy a car dock for my cyclops as well

my liberated X

Richard3
05-14-2011, 12:53 PM
was anyone able to find another car mount that would fit the x with a bulky case on it. the one here is the only one that i could find on amazon

xjeepguy
05-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Slipgrip makes one for otterbox, and trident cases. Just look on ebay.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Perturabo
05-14-2011, 05:07 PM
RAM mounts also makes one that might work, but it's pretty pricey and doesn't come in a multi-use solution like this one does. I went and ordered the one in my first post, should be here Monday. I'll report back!

jwalz
05-14-2011, 08:15 PM
RAM mounts also makes one that might work, but it's pretty pricey and doesn't come in a multi-use solution like this one does. I went and ordered the one in my first post, should be here Monday. I'll report back!

Please do..... very curious

my liberated X

jwalz
05-18-2011, 08:36 AM

Did u get that mount yet

my liberated X with freshly baked bread

Perturabo
05-18-2011, 03:39 PM
I got the mount in, and I think it's a pretty good solution, with a couple tiny peeves.

The mount and the hardware itself is pretty sturdy. I was especially surprised with the vent mount, I didn't think it would work at all on my car, but the way it's set up, it should be pretty stable in any car's horizontal vent, as long as the louvers aren't super flimsy. They do rattle a very tiny bit, at least on my car, if there's no phone mounted (keep in mind I have a large 4-cylinder, which usually vibrate quite a bit at idle, there's a good chance you'd never notice it). The weight of the phone lets the mount sit on its supporting arm, so it doesn't rattle at all then. The arms of the actual mount are padded with some decent foam material, and you can get it to squeeze nice and firm around the Cyclops' silicone wrap. It actually grabs right onto where the 'ribs' on the side of the Cyclops are. I haven't used the dashboard mounting disc, but it's a pretty solid disc of plastic with 3M sticky foam on the back of it.

The only problem is that the arms which close around the phone just BARELY overlap the port for the car charger. This is entirely because the Cyclops adds so much to the dimensions (a naked phone would work perfectly). So if you're mounting the phone vertically, you'd need to have it at a slightly cockeyed angle so the charger plug can fit.

However, if you use the phone in landscape mode (which most probably will, I imagine), all you have to do is flip the mount around so the "bottom" feet are actually at the top (left side) of the horizontal phone. You can also move the feet, or remove them entirely. What I did was push both feet to the very upper left corner of my phone, so they're completely out of the way of the headphone jack, don't touch the power button, and are still providing some support for the phone. It's actually kind of nice anyway, as flipping it around this way unblocks the speaker on the back of the phone if you're not using the headphone jack.

Overall, I think it was a great buy for the amount of money, and I'm pretty pleased with the whole system. I'll probably end up getting another holder, so I can keep the vent mount in my personal car and the window/dashboard mount in my work vehicle without having to move the holder back and forth. Hope that helps!

jwalz
05-18-2011, 06:38 PM
That's cool...I just ordered a similar kind on eBay Monday that only difference that I can tell without having eeither in my hand is that the one I ordered rotates and has a longer arm but if mine doesn't cut the mustard ill definitely be ordering the same as you
my liberated X with freshly baked blue bread

jwalz
05-18-2011, 06:42 PM
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=270541925499&index=0&nav=WON&nid=02224520100&trxId=726132710017
Here is the one I found

my liberated X with freshly baked blue bread

Perturabo
05-19-2011, 04:45 AM
That looks pretty similar, and with the arms up higher, you won't be hitting the charging cable.

Be assured the Arkon rotates, though. The holder is secured to the mount via a ball-and-socket joint with a big wheel to tighten it down.