PDA

View Full Version : .595 and no busy box?

Konceptz804
05-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Installed .595 yesterday and everything is running fine EXCEPT, no matter what I try I cannot get busy box installed. So needless to say, droid x overclock isn't working and Im pretty sure this is also why my titanium backup pro isn't working.

Thoughts, suggestions?

tcsheen
05-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Don't mean to avoid answering, but there are already a few topics on this in the "Gingerbread Help" section, and until today there has been no known solution. One user suggested basically to push busbox to your system in the /xbin folder... something like that, id quote but im on ma phone and that seems like a lot of work right now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

mrclean2828
05-10-2011, 11:14 AM
U can just install busybox from market. I use droid overclock and it installed busybox for me. Worked great on two dx's

mrclean2828
05-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Sorry read rest of op. U might have a bad install. Try reflashing .595

bizdiddy
05-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Installed .595 yesterday and everything is running fine EXCEPT, no matter what I try I cannot get busy box installed. So needless to say, droid x overclock isn't working and Im pretty sure this is also why my titanium backup pro isn't working.

Thoughts, suggestions?

I had the same exact issue Konceptz. Here is a run down of what I did/what occurred. I attempted to upgrade from .588 to .595 ROOTED/ODEXED version. I attempted to flash rooted/odexed .595 on top of rooted/odexed .588, but encountered boot loops. After installing, none of my root apps that required busy box (TiBu and Droid Overclock) worked due to the fact that it no longer saw busybox as being installed. Attempted to install busy box via Droid Overclock, which failed. I also attempted to download the Busy Box installer by Jrummy and every version he has available for install also failed. Superuser was still listed, though, and none of the apps complained about losing root. After bootstrapping recovery and rebooting, the phone bootlooped and that was all she wrote. I had to SBF and bring myself back up to .588 rooted/odexed.

slacka
05-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Yup, same here. Only fix was a SBF. Used the method described in the forum to get to .588. Now back to. 595 with working busybox. I think some of us who used the very first method of upgrading to GB are the ones who had the issue. The first time around, I don't remember using the three part installer files linked in the .588 upgrade thread.

Sent from my NookColor using Droid X Forums

edit: Wrote SPF instead of SBF. lol. sunblock anyone? !

mrclean2828
05-11-2011, 03:19 AM
I remember reading that the odexed .595 was corrupt. I used the deodexed version and no issues

Konceptz804
05-11-2011, 08:56 AM
I had the same exact issue Konceptz. Here is a run down of what I did/what occurred. I attempted to upgrade from .588 to .595 ROOTED/ODEXED version. I attempted to flash rooted/odexed .595 on top of rooted/odexed .588, but encountered boot loops. After installing, none of my root apps that required busy box (TiBu and Droid Overclock) worked due to the fact that it no longer saw busybox as being installed. Attempted to install busy box via Droid Overclock, which failed. I also attempted to download the Busy Box installer by Jrummy and every version he has available for install also failed. Superuser was still listed, though, and none of the apps complained about losing root. After bootstrapping recovery and rebooting, the phone bootlooped and that was all she wrote. I had to SBF and bring myself back up to .588 rooted/odexed.

This is exactly step by step what I did, and what happened to me. I had to sbf back to 2.2.340 and now i'm back on .588 using the 3 file install method from TBH. I'm hesistant to try and get back to .595 seeing as supposedly the OTA will be here friday that and the fact that my X screams on .588 and there are patches for pretty much every fix included on the other updates except for being able to receive the OTA.

kryptic17
05-11-2011, 08:34 PM
navigate into the system folder and check out how much free space is available. I noticed mine said 0 which is why busybox was not able to install for me. I basically deleted some bloatware to make space and copied the xbin folder with busybox into it, but at that point you can probably just install busybox fresh anyways. thats what happened and worked for me. I assume that was also my issue when trying to install busybox on .591 I find it really odd but oh well.

my .588 was the three zip installation and i ran into busybox issues. Not quite sure what to think of it. idk.

bobmiller2
05-11-2011, 09:06 PM
There seems to be a problem with the 595-*.zips. The 595 directory in the zips exceeds the 270MB size of /system causing /system to fill up and a partial install meaning no /system/xbin directory.

One way to resolve the problem is to replicate what is done in Blur_Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US.zip, 588 leak. They symlink /system/app/Madden.apk and /system/lib/libMadden10.so. This leaves 10MB in /system and allows full install. Plenty of room for gingerbreak to root and or busybox install.

You can edit the zip with 7zip and notepad++.

Open 595*.zip with 7zip.
remove 595\app\Madden.apk
remove 595\lib\libMadden10.so

Edit 595\META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script

add after ui_print("Symlinks and permissions...");

symlink("/preinstall/symlink/Madden.apk", "/system/app/Madden.apk"); symlink("/preinstall/symlink/libMadden10.so", "/system/lib/libMadden10.so");

Save the zip and reinstall.

This is tricky so be careful if you try it.

Konceptz804
05-12-2011, 11:49 AM
oh well, I just tried a .591 deodexed file i found on my laptop,and root was broken, and busybox wouldn't install. I'm going to try downloading the deodexed .595 file once i get home from work (firewall blocks the sites here). If that doesn't work i'm staying on .588 until the OTA gets rooted. Does anybody know what updates .591 and .595 incorporate that .588 doesn't have? I alreayd have the marketfix patch and wireless tether patch. So I can just patch .588 up to spec.

Konceptz804
05-13-2011, 01:43 PM
After downloading .595 deodexed, and installing it without wiping data/cache....things work great. Had to manually install busybox using jrummy's busybox installer. Was able to install the most current version of busybox however. This is the fastest build of GB I've ever user and will be here until the OTA is rooted. Thanks all for your help.

Kevin108
05-14-2011, 11:14 AM
I realized something new about this. It's not that the software is locking down the system folder, it's just that it's full! I used Root Explorer to delete City ID, Madden and some other crap. The right thing to do is move it and symlink it, I imagine, but I don't know how to do the latter so I'm taking a heavy-handed approach. Doing so leaves room for Busybox. I didn't bother creating xbin, I just used JRummy's installer to put it in \system\bin