PDA

View Full Version : Gingerbread 2.3 vs Froyo 2.2

Keuka79
05-08-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm running FroYo 2.2 with Apex 1.4 Rom, The Gingerbread leak requries rooted users to SBF back to Gingerbread 2.3. I'm confused. I was under the assumption that Gingerbread 2.3 was the newer OS.
Follow up question: Once GB is installed will the froyo rom run on it or are there gb specific roms already under development.

thanks

Leach19m
05-08-2011, 01:58 PM
You have to sbf to stock 2.2.340 (official froyo) to flash gingerbread, not to 2.3

And no, froyo roms will NOT work with gingerbread. There are roms out for GB, most in beta stages right now; but they're stable and fast

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Leach19m
05-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Chances are what you saw on the sbf was .340 and assumed it meant 2.3. Typically the last three digits of the build model are what people reference. for example im on 2.3.591, which people just call .591

popcenator
05-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Apex, Liberty, and Rubix all have ROMs out right now but all beta as just mentioned. They're still well worth the upgrade as is Gingerbread overall.

GBLDX

Xponentially Better
05-09-2011, 09:41 AM
There's also a few drew harangue Rims. Or however you spell his name. Like broodcomb, led lite, and gingeraid. Check em all out and see what you like. PS get liberty haha.

popcenator
05-09-2011, 09:43 AM
There's also a few drew harangue Rims. Or however you spell his name. Like broodcomb, led lite, and gingeraid. Check em all out and see what you like. PS get liberty haha.

Yes, I forgot about his. I knew he had some stability problems early on but I assume he's worked out the bugs by now. Like xpo said, try them all and see what you think.

Keuka79
05-09-2011, 10:05 AM
And I can sbf to gingerbread while rooted right?

mikeinrichmond
05-09-2011, 10:31 AM

No, the only SBF we have is to get back to stock Froyo..

(Swypin' GB on the go)

popcenator
05-09-2011, 12:00 PM

SBF, in case you're not familiar with it, is just restoring your phone back to out of the box condition, which was Froyo.

Keuka79
05-09-2011, 02:28 PM
So sbf takes you back to stock froyo, then will z4root root gingerbread or is there a whole separate operation for that.

Keuka79
05-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Follow up question..why can't I just flash a nandroid back up of my froyo save....then unroot...and flash gingerbread...

P.s. Thanks for the patience fellas...self taught here through all of this.

jerofld
05-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Z4root is for Froyo (Android version 2.2.1)

Gingerbreak is for Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3)

The exploit that Z4 uses to root Froyo got patched in Gingerbread, so Z4 does not work in Gingerbread.

mikeinrichmond
05-09-2011, 02:58 PM
The nice thing is, is that Gingerbreak with also root Froyo, so no need for Z4 anymore.. :)

Keuka79
05-09-2011, 03:50 PM
So I can't just flash a nandroid back up, unroot, then upload gb?

mikeinrichmond
05-09-2011, 03:55 PM
So I can't just flash a nandroid back up, unroot, then upload gb?

Here, take a look at this thread:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/24642-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-588-successful-installation-guide.html#post280598

twesty
05-26-2011, 03:59 AM
jrummy makes it really easy to go from froyo to gingerbread with liberty all you have to do is download the toolbox

Nerdslogic
05-26-2011, 04:54 AM
I installed GB via TBH. I, honestly, rely on their app more than people realize. Seems they always have EXACTLY what I am looking for. A bit short on the instructions part (usually just tell you to see Droid Life threads) but that's why we post questions here instead ;)

Anyway you have several ways to get to GB. But if you are asking "which is better" than you are going to find yourself having a tough time figuring that out. Some are going to swear by GB and others are going to swear by FROYO. They both have their perks and they both have their drawbacks. To me GB is better hands down. Mostly because, again for me, it's faster and seems more stable. I also like that it is typically graphically more pleasing as well. But mostly it's features like the app drawer uninstall options and such that interest me most....well.....no....maybe it's the graphic part.....or speed.....I dunno....at any route I like GB better. But that is my opinion.

HTH