PDA

View Full Version : Gingerbread Upgrade Path Question

MobileMe
05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
I've been running .573 since it was released. It has been working great for me to date. With the recent development of the potential OTA release and .595, I would like to make sure I have a good handle on how to upgrade. My understanding is going from .573 to .588, a wipe and advanced restore of data is needed to upgrade.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on that one.
The upgrade procedure from .571 to .595 is as follows...
--> Download .595
--> Boot into clockwork recovery
--> Backup
--> Wipe data/cache
--> Install .595 from sd card
--> Reboot then install D2 bootstrap (GingerBreak if necessary)
--> Boot into clockwork recovery
--> Advanced restore data
--> Done

I would really like to keep my apps and data. Going from Froyo to GB was a pain having to wipe. If I have over thought this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

zoe
05-06-2011, 12:59 PM
I haven't found a direct path to .588 from .573 that didn't end up missing a few things. Most recommend going back to froyo then to .588 and from there the process you describe to go to .591or even .595 looks ok. If you make a nandroid backkup in cwm prior to downgrading to froyo, once you're at the end of the all the interim steps the advanced restore data only should put everything right back as it was. you could also selectively restore data only if using titanium backup, beware batch restore or system apps

I'll be doing almost this exact same thing later this morning, on .591 lib v.05 atm but my baseband never got updated due to skipping over the .588 leak

ereh seog erutangis

MobileMe
05-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I have been looking around and there are conflicting statements all over the place. Some are saying upgrading from .573 to .595 is possible without wiping data. Even the dev that released .595 says it can be done without wiping data. I am very confused and a little miffed that there is not at least a general consensus on how to do this. I really don't want to wipe my phone again. I'm very busy and really don't have the time right now.

mikeinrichmond
05-06-2011, 01:52 PM
If you are busy, don't upgrade. OTA is likely next weekend if you want it...You will need to be either on stock Froyo or stock .595.

(Swypin' GB on the go)