PDA

View Full Version : Screen Protectors!??!?

Ag3nT X3r0
04-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Whats up everybody. Recent covert to droid from blackberry and it's freaking awesome. One problem that I do have is that I can't find a decent screen protector that doesn't hinder the screen. The droid x screen is vivid and awesome to look at, and the screen protectors that i've picked up just make it look dingy. I want to still protect my phone but not at the cost of lowered resolution. I mean the screen is why i bought the damn phone in the first place. Any suggestions?

Scrapy McSlappy
04-30-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't use a screen protector. I went to buy one and the salesman said "let me show ya something." (All I could think of was fire Marshall bill...lol) he took his DROID x out of his pocket along with his keys. He then proceeded to beat the hell out of his screen with his keys. I swear this guy had roid rage on his phone. He handed his phone to me and to my sunrise there were no scratches or scraps or dings. His phones screen looked as new as mine did.

Moral of the story is you don't need one. Hope this helps.

skennelly
04-30-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't use a screen protector. I went to buy one and the salesman said "let me show ya something." (All I could think of was fire Marshall bill...lol) he took his DROID x out of his pocket along with his keys. He then proceeded to beat the hell out of his screen with his keys. I swear this guy had roid rage on his phone. He handed his phone to me and to my sunrise there were no scratches or scraps or dings. His phones screen looked as new as mine did.

Moral of the story is you don't need one. Hope this helps.

Someone should make a youtube video like that.

Scrapy McSlappy
04-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Someone should make a youtube video like that.

Lol...I know. I was so shocked when I saw him doing this to his phone, I didn't even think of you videoing it.
I was just glad he demonstrated it on his phone. I would have punched him if he started to beat on my phone like that..lol

Edit: Here is a youtube vid of screen scratch test on DROID a855.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=H4qJHNIiXow

skennelly
04-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Even after hearing that story, I am still hesitant to go w/o a screen protector. I'm a little paranoid.

Xibalba
04-30-2011, 11:47 AM
I have a zagg. It is crystal clear and offers great protection.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

cory46
04-30-2011, 11:56 AM
I have a zagg. It is crystal clear and offers great protection.

+1 on the zagg..I'm using one too..the full body one love it and they will replace it for the cost of shipping back your old one

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

HarleyDude
04-30-2011, 12:01 PM
I agree with kc5dtr, you do not need a screen protector. The gorilla glass is virtually unscratchable. Basically, the only part of my phone with no marks on it.

Ninja636
04-30-2011, 12:04 PM
I was sitting in a chair in my garage and accidentally dropped my phone with no case or screen protector on it. I guess it was about a two foot drop. It landed screen down and the glass did chip right in the center of the screen.

Hulk0069
04-30-2011, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibs7EKrTZv8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

droid x truly rules

Hulk0069
04-30-2011, 12:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KAc_pq35w4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

droid x truly rules

Scrapy McSlappy
04-30-2011, 12:51 PM

droid x truly rules

Take that all you naysayers.....lol

Omg that was awesome. I'm gonna get out my hammer as soon as I get home.......lol

skennelly
04-30-2011, 12:51 PM
I broke out in cold sweats watching that. Holy crap.

ToeJamm57
04-30-2011, 12:53 PM
There are members of this forum who have manged to scratch their screens. For that reason I have always had one on my DX.

I use Clarivue because I like the feel (smooth). I tried Zagg and there were two things I didn't like about it. Requires a wet application solution and the protector has a sticky, rubbery, feel (IMO). Because I use Swype to text I found it to bothersome.

cory46
04-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Cool videos and all but unless I clicked something wrong I never saw it turned on. I don't expect the glass to break but without actually showing that there isn't scratches the video just proves good construction

cory46
04-30-2011, 12:56 PM
I tried Zagg and there were two things I didn't like about it. Requires a wet application solution and the protector has a sticky, rubbery, feel (IMO). Because I use Swype to text I found it to bothersome.

Yeah its "sticky"at first but goes away after a few weeks usage

SimplySweetness
04-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Hmm, those videos are pretty interesting lol. Only problem is my boyfriends Droid 2 (not sure if it has gorilla glass as well) has a ton of little scratches on the screen. I bought him the SGP Anti-fingerprint screen protector, just cause. I have the SGP Ultra Crystal and it sucks. it fits well and has dry application, but the corners and some edges never stuck to the phone and there are a TON of scratches on it. I think my DX shall go naked for a while.

radioz
04-30-2011, 01:06 PM
I had a Droid 1 w/o a screen protector and although it never got scratched, it eventually got dropped on concrete.
It landed on a small pebble and broke the screen.
I now use a screen protector on my new X. I'm not sure if it would have helped, but its worth a try.
I use a Steinheil Ultra Crystal on mine, and can't tell that its there. Very nice.

C Dippa
04-30-2011, 01:16 PM
I can take some pics of my and my brother's X and refute those videos. I would guess that that phone was about to be replaced under insurance, so they decided to have some fun with it. They never showed that the screen was unscratched, just that it didn't break.

Under normal use, I've gotten tons of tiny scratches on mine, including two that are deep and very noticeable. Also, my brother dropped his and the screen completely shattered about a week ago.

Just thought I'd point that out before everyone broke out their hammers and start beating on the screen...lol. You can definitely scratch and break the screen...

At least make sure you have insurance if you try the hammer :p

maineultraclassic
04-30-2011, 01:25 PM
That video is pretty stupid. Doesn't even show if the phone works after, or show the screen after.

I have the Steinheil Ultra Crystal protector on my screen, works great. Crystal clear, no distortion, and seems pretty tough.
$13 for 2 protectors thru their Ebay store.

Steve

Droid Diggler
04-30-2011, 02:21 PM
I've never used one and don't have a single scratch. I never have it in pocket or anything though. I use a rubberized shell/holster combo with clip.

OldCrow
05-01-2011, 02:30 AM
I use a screen protector because there is one thing that will easily scratch Gorilla Glass.

SAND.

Think about it - sand is silica, the same material as glass so it has the same hardness. Metal is relatively soft compared to silica.

Terri M
05-01-2011, 03:05 AM
I purchased mine from Amazon.com. Best accessory I've purchased for my DroidX. LOL
The best protectors at Amazon are the ones labeled "Accessory Export Brand Packaging" Really good price of $1.72 and a $2.98 s&h fee for a pack of 5 protectors.

WyldRyce
05-01-2011, 03:29 AM
My girlfriend has my original Droid and that one had a zagg screen protector on it but she removed it cause she didn't like it. I can say that her phone is pretty much beat up and her screen is still flawless. I used to have a zagg on my DX as well but I removed it considering it had a ton of scratches. I'm now running my DX without a screen protector and I haven't had a scratch on it yet.

skennelly
05-01-2011, 04:50 AM
I use screen protectors because they are cheap. I use an anti-glare protector that I bought at a vzw outlet store. They have a good feel and qover the entire glass. I have also used the AG from the vzw store. Those covered only the back-lit part of the screen. They also had a weird texture while running your finger on it.

Slappy
05-01-2011, 09:01 PM
+1 for Zagg...wet app was a little frightening, but i've been able to do it multiple times with multiple brands (makes re-using easy and cheap). i had splash masque and stenn on for a bit, both scratched up too easily just using a card to put them on the screen. the zagg is a tank though.

Ag3nT X3r0
05-02-2011, 09:35 AM
pahahahahahahahaha fire marshall bill, this has to be the post of the year

V1215
05-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Gotta love how a Verizon rep said using anything but their screen protectors would void the warranty, lol.

Otherwise, I've managed to acquire several deep scratches on my screen from just regular use. Funny enough, none of them acquired by dropping... was like they just appeared.

maineultraclassic
05-07-2011, 07:14 PM
I went with the Steinheil Ultra Crystal, and after 2-3 weeks it's all scratched up from my finger in the commonly used spots........not impressed at all.

I want a smooth, clear, tough screen protector that covers the entire display.............any ideas?

Steve

cory46
05-07-2011, 07:19 PM
I went with the Steinheil Ultra Crystal, and after 2-3 weeks it's all scratched up from my finger in the commonly used spots........not impressed at all.

I want a smooth, clear, tough screen protector that covers the entire display.............any ideas?

Steve

Zagg invisible shield

Artisticsoul79
05-13-2011, 04:19 PM

droid x truly rules

I cannot believe you would do that!!! lol..

trenton
05-13-2011, 04:41 PM
But did it turn on after that?

Artisticsoul79
05-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Using Verizon's anti-glare screen protector and hate it... You can't see anything when you're outdoors..

trenton
05-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Using Verizon's anti-glare screen protector and hate it... You can't see anything when you're outdoors..

Wtf isn't that thr point of anti glare? Haha

maineultraclassic
05-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Steinheil Ultra Crystal lasted a month, it got scratched from my fingers under normal use. It got so bad it was effecting the display and causing it to be hazy. And since it only has a crappy 30 warranty, they did nothing at all to stand behind their product. Waste of money right there!!

Verizon screen protectors suck, they don't even cover the entire screen. Then the edges don't stick well, so it wants to peel up and has air under it. Another waste of money.

The Zagg has a textured finish to it, so your finger drags on it...............didn't bother trying it.

Best Skins Ever was my last one to look at, but if I remember right they have a textured finish as well.

So, now with a Trident Cyclops case on the way............I'm sticking with the built-in screen protector now.

Steve

TruePCs
05-17-2011, 07:49 PM

droid x truly rules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M3HDn1PMs8

Perturabo
05-20-2011, 08:28 PM
The Cyclops screen protector is pretty good, but it does 'stick', until you use it for a bit. I suppose it could be my stupid fingers.

st3v3n
05-20-2011, 08:44 PM
i gave up on my screen protector 2 months ago. my screen is still mint.
looks great.

spartacus_33
05-20-2011, 11:16 PM
It's all relative..
Some people will complain because that's what they're best at. Had a Zag... worked good but was sticky... I'm not all that gentle with my phone but do use some common sense. +1 for Steinheil Ultra Chrystal. Had it for 2 months and NO scratches.

Artisticsoul79
05-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Wtf isn't that thr point of anti glare? Haha

Just took the screen protector off yesterday and ahhhhh my eyes are so much better... lol