PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

FutureFuzz
04-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Haven't been able to find this answer. When loading a theme with Liberty 2.0.1 do I make a backup then wipe anything? Kinda new at this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Leach19m
04-27-2011, 09:48 PM
You do not need to wipe to install themes, but a backup wouldn't be a bad idea

1KDS
Quick answer

You normally don't wipe data or cache when installing a theme, I would make a backup first since it is a major mod

edit: ninja'd

JNEHAMA
If it's a theme for your rom you do not need to wipe data. Some of them require to manually mount system in clockwork and most require wipe cache. You should check the instructions that come with the specific theme.

stryker
04-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Haven't been able to find this answer. When loading a theme with Liberty 2.0.1 do I make a backup then wipe anything? Kinda new at this.

I always flash the original liberty 2.0.1 without a wipe. just wipe cache. That will give you stock liberty again and un do whatever theme you had prior. Then flash the new theme you want to use.

Hey, you got some libertybread on your face.

stryker
04-27-2011, 09:53 PM

Oh yeah. MAKE A BACKUP!!!!!! Don't learn the hard way or think that nothing will go wrong. Be safe. Follow themes instructions too. And then, ENJOY!

FutureFuzz
04-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Alright backup it is. I paid for the toolbox so wasn't sure if I had to wipe since the ones in there are for liberty

stryker
04-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Alright backup it is. I paid for the toolbox so wasn't sure if I had to wipe since the ones in there are for liberty

You don't need to wipe data. I flash the themes I get from the toolbox in clockwork recOvery. I just wipe cache only. But it is not needed.

FutureFuzz
04-27-2011, 10:29 PM
How do you flash in clockwork? Does it give you that option when you click on the theme in the toolbox?

Leach19m
04-27-2011, 11:19 PM
How do you flash in clockwork? Does it give you that option when you click on the theme in the toolbox?

That's where it flashes it when you click install. You can do it manually by opening DROID bootstrap, then click the top button and when it says success, click the second. Then go to install zip from sd card, find the liberty folder

FutureFuzz
04-27-2011, 11:26 PM
O ok I got it. So you can have the toolbox do it or download then boot in clockwork and flash the zip your self. Cool

spodoc
04-27-2011, 11:35 PM
OP, some of the themes are more aggressive than others. So you may install your first theme and then it, among many other things, changes the fonts. You decide to flash the next theme and things "look" different by you but you see some of the things that were previously changed (e.g. fonts, keyboard) are still there. Then you go to the third theme and it gets worse.

Point is, flash away with the various liberty themes, one on top of the other. But once you figure out which one you like, then restore your unthemed nandroid liberty backup. Now that you are back to square one, you can apply your chosen theme knowing that only the things that were suppoed to be changed were.

FutureFuzz
04-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Ok that helps a lot. I did make a nandroid of my liberty right away and when I get to the point of going back to my nandroid liberty. I flash it like I did liberty the first time? Wipe data/ factory reset? Then install the nandroid? New to this

MICHO
04-28-2011, 12:55 AM
Ok that helps a lot. I did make a nandroid of my liberty right away and when I get to the point of going back to my nandroid liberty. I flash it like I did liberty the first time? Wipe data/ factory reset? Then install the nandroid? New to this

Just make a backup of your current setup. Then start flashing themes and do like he said. I my self don't flash themes over themes you start getting probs from leftover parts of other themes. Best thing is to make your backup then flash a theme then flash backup then flash theme
So on till you find a theme you like. Just make sure you have a full battery. Before you go crazy lol.

MICHO
04-28-2011, 12:59 AM
1 st theme can be flashed right after you make your backup
2nd theme 1 data factory reset reflash your backup then flash next theme.
This is so you are flashing over a clean base of liberty every time so you know how the theme will really look and work.

FutureFuzz
04-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Ton of help I think I would have just gone crazy with themes! So far I have managed to not mess anything up to bad other then my market trying to flash a new one but I fixed it by flashing a fresh new Liberty so I have been taking small steps.

MICHO
04-28-2011, 01:06 AM
Did you ever get your market themed?

FutureFuzz
04-28-2011, 01:09 AM
No never did. I tried a few times but I was missing something somewhere and just couldn't figure it out. That's why I'm wanting to theme cause some if I'm correct have themed markets seems like an easy way of doing it and getting what I want.

stryker
04-28-2011, 06:09 AM
O ok I got it. So you can have the toolbox do it or download then boot in clockwork and flash the zip your self. Cool

yep. that's what I meant. I use the toolBox to download stuff. Then use the bootstrapper to flash/install it. That way you could just clear cache if you wanted and not do a full wipe. You can do a data restore too from a backup that you made.

Swyped from my droidX running libertyGB.

JNEHAMA
04-28-2011, 07:42 AM
@futurefuzz

Just wanted to make sure are you on Gingerbread liberty or froyo liberty? Because the themes in the toolbox are only for froyo! You will have problems if you apply them to gingerbread build. There are a handful of the on the forums for gingerbread. Just wanted to make sure.

FutureFuzz
04-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Good looking out :) but I'm on 2.3.340 froyo

Sent from Liberated X follow @futurefuzz

spodoc
04-28-2011, 11:16 AM
OP, was in a hurry and didn't read all the posts in this thread carefully. Hope you get it figured out. This time next week you'll be a pro and most things will make sense. good luck :)

FutureFuzz
04-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Think I fudged up!! when renaming your nandroid.......you name it what you want and then are you supposed to add (.zip) at the end? cause I just tried to flash a backup I made and it said no backup found in the folder I placed it in. :cry:

1KDS
04-28-2011, 08:35 PM
No, you don't add a zip. You can't use any spaces or odd characters in the backup name. It should be in sdcard/clockworkmod/backup

FutureFuzz
04-28-2011, 08:37 PM
ok i changed it to libertybackup.zip should be able to flash now?

FutureFuzz
04-28-2011, 08:38 PM
o I don't add a zip......then I should just name it (libertybackup) and I should be able to run it in clockwork?

1KDS
04-28-2011, 08:42 PM
correct, that name should work fine

FutureFuzz
04-28-2011, 08:45 PM
OK thanks I had a moment of a NOOB FREAKOUT! lol Just had to slow down and realize I needed to just go to backup/restore and look under restore....shoulda been a no thinker but live and learn :excited: