PDA

View Full Version : Apex 2.0 vs. Liberty GB

burrier
04-24-2011, 03:04 AM
Anyone test out the two? I was on Liberty GB and honestly it was not as smooth as I'd hoped. I ended up SBFing back to my Rubix Focused setup. Any feedback appreciated, as always.

TheFandroid
04-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Apex isn't out for GB yet, but on Froyo it was amazing and I would expect nothing less. Liberty is considered the standard and is always a smooth rom. Right now it is still in its beta version, but is stable and not too many bugs.

encephalon9986
04-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Apex isn't out for GB yet, but on Froyo it was amazing and I would expect nothing less. Liberty is considered the standard and is always a smooth rom. Right now it is still in its beta version, but is stable and not too many bugs.

Actually Apex has an alpha build out on twitter. It is made for the newest leak of gingerbread. I have not tried it, but I just downloaded it and will try it out later today. They say it is not forum ready so they ask to not post links here but you can find all the info you need on twitter. Follow @bigxie on twitter for info.

fc127
04-24-2011, 12:20 PM
They say it is not forum ready so they ask to not post links here but you can find all the info you need on twitter. Follow @bigxie on twitter for info.

And yet you still put it on the forum...

Sent from my Gingy DX

encephalon9986
04-24-2011, 12:28 PM

Sent from my Gingy DX

I simply gave information to someones twitter. No download link or anything. I gave you a place to keep updated on the info. There is nothing against putting a twitter name on here.

I did nothing different than one of the forum moderators. They gave the twitter name and so did I. Here is the thread that talks about it http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-roms/23884-apex-2-0-a.html

fezrock
04-24-2011, 12:40 PM

Sent from my Gingy DX

I did the same in another thread. STG took no issue with mentioning a twitter account. It's about letting the devs control links to their work.

Free your MOTO! http://www.groubal.com/motorola-lockedencrypted-bootloader-policy/ -sent via mobile forum app on
LIBERATED GB!!!

encephalon9986
04-24-2011, 12:43 PM
I did the same in another thread. STG took no issue with mentioning a twitter account. It's about letting the devs control links to their work.

Free your MOTO! Motorola Locked/Encrypted Bootloader Policy | groubal complaints (http://www.groubal.com/motorola-lockedencrypted-bootloader-policy/) -sent via mobile forum app on
LIBERATED GB!!!

Thanks much appreciated for helping clear that.

mandog202
04-24-2011, 01:02 PM
apex 2 has been the best gb rom ive tried yet

Sent from my Apex2.0'd DROID X

fc127
04-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks much appreciated for helping clear that.

Ok, fair enough... I wasn't trying to start a fight. It came across harsher than I intended.

Sent from my Gingy DX

Sierra8561
04-26-2011, 01:42 AM
Apex is better imo.have run them both. Smoother, faster, no fcs. And its just in alpha phase.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

burrier
04-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Apex is better imo.have run them both. Smoother, faster, no fcs. And its just in alpha phase.

agree 100% better i'm honestly done with liberty. i don't like jrummy's MO and i don't like that everything he puts out feels unfinished.

ratfinkstooley
04-26-2011, 02:11 AM

+1 Apex all the way

Willup
04-26-2011, 09:46 AM
~Backing up Liberty v03~ giving Apex a try. Liberty has a tendancy to act slow or choppy after it has been on for awhile. All I want is a clean nice look and overall functional! I want it to be fast, and I want zero lag before animations apps etc. or well close as I can get lol

TideFan22
04-26-2011, 10:30 AM
~Backing up Liberty v03~ giving Apex a try. Liberty has a tendancy to act slow or choppy after it has been on for awhile. All I want is a clean nice look and overall functional! I want it to be fast, and I want zero lag before animations apps etc. or well close as I can get lol

So is apex out yet and u got a link if it is

Rammer Jammer

amm5890
04-26-2011, 12:59 PM
can i flash themes over this rom from the old froyo ones?

Willup
04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Not allowed to link go follow him on twitter. Look for apex in search and you will him and the link to dl

Sent from APEX gingerbread

TideFan22
04-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah I found it and saw where he asked not to post links

Rammer Jammer yellow hammer give em hell Alabama!!!

Basis
04-26-2011, 01:15 PM
And make sure you get the alpha 2 dl. I tried the first one and just bootlooped. But alpha 2 seems flawless so far, and no blue noti bar.

As far as liberty think I'll keep my opinion to myself. Not that its bad just don't want to stir stuff up.

brewcrewwheels
04-26-2011, 01:29 PM
been running it since yesterday. nice and smooth, no fc's. hard to believe it's only an alpha. and it won't cost you $5.

fc127
04-26-2011, 08:18 PM
been running it since yesterday. nice and smooth, no fc's. hard to believe it's only an alpha. and it won't cost you $5.

+1

Sent from my Gingy DX

Willup
04-26-2011, 09:39 PM
+1 for Apex. Tried both and I'm staying with apex. I may try liberty again when its all done with development

wikkdwarrior
04-26-2011, 09:45 PM
So I can just flash this right over liberty as I would any other rom?

::: Note 2 Self:::

The first step in androidholics anonymous is to admit that you really do have an addiction!

scottfree
04-26-2011, 09:51 PM
I am on apex 2.0 alpha and it runs smooth and fast- it contains imosayin, I will try out liberty as well. I do like some of the blur on. 588 im back and forth on roms need to find one and stick with it. I always come back to apex or darkslide

olyfunk
04-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Tried Liberty for a few days and definitely wasn't mad. Apex seems to be a bit smoother and has a better battery life on my phone. Sticking with Apex for now...

craig7220
04-27-2011, 09:21 AM
I have been to. Liberty then to Apex back to liberty and finally back to Apex. Apex is fast smooth and trouble free for me. I had some trouble with liberty in than the phone would ring once then nothing when someone was calling. Also could not dial out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

bsbabcock
04-27-2011, 09:56 AM

The first step in androidholics anonymous is to admit that you really do have an addiction!

Yep.. Just do a backup first as normal.. Wipe, and flash as normal. Restoring from TiBu it was a 30 minute process.
Unless you want the Liberty boot logo retained, I'd change that to a stock one in the Liberty toolbox first.

As rockin' as we all know JRummy is with Liberty, I think just in this case the Liberty GB version is still just too close to infancy and a new work in progress on possibly a more extensive rom being so blurless.. I'm sure as time progresses and he gets some good work into it, the two roms will close in on each other in performance, both eventually being solid offerings. In the early stages I could be very wrong but I get the impression Fab was just a bit less intrusive and more cautious, just taking nibbles at stock .588 so not to disrupt stability.. In contrast, Liberty is a bit more ambitious in stripping right on down to the bare.. Blur gone.. Fairly dramatic.. So I think it'll take some time for the kinks to be ironed out by JRummy but great potential there knowing the Froyo Liberty roms to be such a hit. So until then when it pulls me away from awesomeness of a more finished rom, I got my ApeX on.

Nivek
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Apex has been amazing so far. There are a few fc's and a few problems with the cameras but this is just the alpha. This is going to rock when it's complete. Just my 2

Sierra8561
04-27-2011, 05:48 PM
I put the blur launcher back on apex 2.0 I really like it.

Sierra8561
04-27-2011, 05:49 PM

Need to wipe first

TheFandroid
04-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Anyone else having trouble with the app screen (have to press kinda hard to flick the gallery up or down)? That's the only downside. If so, how did you fix it?

ilearnedwar
04-29-2011, 10:32 AM
After the latest nightly update to 0.4, GB Liberty is running/looking much more solid. I do love the speed of ApeX though... probs switch back to Apex when its finished.

Yeti 6
04-29-2011, 07:18 PM
How can I get my hands on gingerbread apex? People say to follow him on twitter but I haven't seen any ref's or links to his rom. Any ideas?

dbrock1980
04-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Check your PM

ben
05-01-2011, 12:36 AM
I put the blur launcher back on apex 2.0 I really like it.

How did you put the blur launcher back? I like Apex, but I like all the added functionality of the new blur launcher

bignasty407
05-01-2011, 12:42 AM
id love to know as well :)

bsbabcock
05-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Tried the latest .4 liberty.. Back on Apex. Still too many issues. Apex just loads and runs. It's not perfect, but pretty darn nice.

Willup
05-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Tried the latest .4 liberty.. Back on Apex. Still too many issues. Apex just loads and runs. It's not perfect, but pretty darn nice.

was gonna try it out of curiosity, I just wish apex has an update soon

forgednfire
05-03-2011, 07:34 AM
I just loaded Apex 2.0 Alpha 2 up and I have to say that Fabolous is a boss when it comes to this. I overclocked to 1.348 ghz and busted out several 2400's on quadrant and ended up with 2470 a personal best. I still have to play around with this a lot more to see what it's about but he lived up to my expectations coming from always using his roms when I was on froyo. Liberty is great too and I love Drew Garen's roms but I rememer that Apex was the first rom I ever put on my DX and that THQ sound coming on is what introduced me to world of hacking the Droid X. Kudos Fab.

TheJustPull
05-04-2011, 12:36 PM
HA ha, my girlfriend hates that THQ sound whenever I reboot my phone if it's running apex. right now i went back to liberty v4 and love it, I'll probably keep v4 till final is released, unless there are some major changes.

bsbabcock
05-04-2011, 05:40 PM
You do know on the froyo apex you could disable the THX sound. :) If the 1.4.1 apextoolbox is working.

spmdroidx
05-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Which rom is running the best on 591?

JNEHAMA
05-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Which rom is running the best on 591?

+1 that's what I want to know!

bsbabcock
05-04-2011, 10:17 PM
No question.. I know the one that I personally installed easily with no bug fixes or tweaks needed to get it going.. from ApeX .588 Alpha 2 I didn't even wipe Data.. I flashed, rebooted backup and kept on trucking with my home screen and apps. And not the first forced close, reboot or bug of any significance or unexpected encountered. And fast.. And great battery.. Just all around WIN! See gratuitous Signature. :) Sorry if you're on the phone you might not see it say "Gingerbread Glazed with some ApeX Awesomeness"

uberlocolbd
05-04-2011, 10:39 PM
As a Droid X User I would have to say Apex by Fab is boss!!! Apex give you the best of both worlds. ie The best of stock android as well as the best of blur.

I downloaded and install the leaked gingerbread and have to say i am stick with it, until the final build is release and Fab works his magic.

Xponentially Better
05-04-2011, 10:44 PM

Cheapskate

Xponentially Better
05-04-2011, 10:47 PM
As a Droid X User I would have to say Apex by Fab is boss!!! Apex give you the best of both worlds. ie The best of stock android as well as the best of blur.

I downloaded and install the leaked gingerbread and have to say i am stick with it, until the final build is release and Fab works his magic.

liberty lets you choose if you want blur or aosp of a bunch of apps and lets you choose bloat to remove from the customizer... Gonna have to say its what you just said makes apex boss... Except instead of the rom choosing what you get, you choose what you get... Touche son. Haha

TideFan22
Will apex and liberty not revert u back to. 588 if u flash it on. 591?

Xponentially Better
Will apex and liberty not revert u back to. 588 if u flash it on. 591?

Yeppers

Xponentially Better
05-04-2011, 10:52 PM

What issues? Only issues I have is my phone wont die, its too fast to keep up with, the customizer has so many options to customize my phone that idk what to pick, and it makes me feel good that I gave the hard working developer some money to make it worth his while. Ill report back with more issues when I can get away from my liberty goodness. Dont expect me back for a long time.

JNEHAMA
05-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Apex beta is has a .591 update zip as does liberty v.5 so they are both up to date until the next leak hits.

Of interest p3droid tweeted that he is halting development of tranquility for. 591. That together with the new ota rumors makes me think final release will be here soon and likely not. 591. ????

uberlocolbd
05-05-2011, 01:58 AM
You are right which is a major point but things like hdmi or assisted gps is not avail on liberty. Liberty is a great rom no doubt but to me I think I prefer apex by a hair since all the origins functions of the DROIDX work under the apex rom.

Thanks a mili fab, kejar and jrummy you the best:)

RoomTenONine
05-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Been a big Liberty fan since it came out. Tried Apex before and thought it was great, but missed the Lib Toolbox options. After messing with Liberty GB .4 and .5, stock .588 and .591 i decided to run Apex 2.0 beta. So far it is the best option I've found on GB. I miss a few things like polished themes and the rotary lock screen, but Apex is fast, smooth and clean. Loving it.

I've SBF'd and rom'd so many times over the last few days that my head is spinning, but I think I'm sticking with Apex for now. Once the OTA hits and the roms start to polish up for GB I know I'll be doing it all again.

Honestly...I just want my rotary lock screen!

achapman91
05-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Been a big Liberty fan since it came out. Tried Apex before and thought it was great, but missed the Lib Toolbox options. After messing with Liberty GB .4 and .5, stock .588 and .591 i decided to run Apex 2.0 beta. So far it is the best option I've found on GB. I miss a few things like polished themes and the rotary lock screen, but Apex is fast, smooth and clean. Loving it.

I've SBF'd and rom'd so many times over the last few days that my head is spinning, but I think I'm sticking with Apex for now. Once the OTA hits and the roms start to polish up for GB I know I'll be doing it all again.

Honestly...I just want my rotary lock screen!

I Love ApeX2.0, honestly I've always been a Fab fan! and man to get your rotary back just use widget locker! ;)

Midnite5138
05-24-2011, 07:07 AM
I was on Apex 2.0 but had to go back to Apex 1.4.1 Honeybread to keep my wifi tether. Anyone know how I can keep both?

Maguel
05-24-2011, 04:30 PM
I've flashed both and loved Liberty, but had too many restarting and force close issues. It's been smooth sailing with Apex so far.

jakichan77
05-30-2011, 12:06 AM
I ran liberty gb. I don't really remember much bout it but now I have apex gb and its pretty AWESOME! the bad thing is that I can't use the apextoolbox .. im looking toward to liberty gb for. 596 but I don't wanna sbf so if anyone wants to put up a liberty gb link for me ill love you.. please

Midnite5138
06-06-2011, 12:58 AM
I'm back on Apex 2.0 again. I missed the speed and smoothness. Just bought a 4g MiFi for my laptop. Farewell to free tethering.

raymond513
06-19-2011, 06:41 PM
I was on Apex 2.0 but had to go back to Apex 1.4.1 Honeybread to keep my wifi tether. Anyone know how I can keep both?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums Droid life has a work around heres the link Tip: DROIDX and 2 Gingerbread Wireless Tether Work-Around (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/07/tip-droidx-gingerbread-wireless-tether-work-around/)

Casey
06-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Droid life has a work around heres the link Tip: DROIDX and 2 Gingerbread Wireless Tether Work-Around (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/07/tip-droidx-gingerbread-wireless-tether-work-around/)

I'll vouch for this, it works perfectly for me (on stock rooted GB)