PDA

View Full Version : Sync icon stuck in status bar.

Chessnut
04-22-2011, 05:16 AM
After installing GB from Froyo, sync icon stuck in status bar. Besides that, everything is running smooth.
Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

mikeinrichmond
04-22-2011, 05:30 AM
From the GB FAQ...

"Q: I installed it, and now the sync icon won't go away...how do I fix it?

A: You didn't wipe data, most likely. The instructions don't say that wiping data is necessary, and I guess some may not have problems without a wipe. However, I had the endless sync, which was fixed by a factory reset (data wipe).

UPDATE: It has been reported that force stopping Contact Sync will stop the sync. To do this, go into settings > applications > manage applications > all, and select Contact Sync. Select force stop, and see if the sync icon goes away. You can also try freezing Blur Contact Sync in Titanium backup. My understanding is that the blur contact sync process is not necessary, since contacts sync with the Google Account.

Try that first, but you will need to do a factory reset to clear all data if that doesn't work.

To do a factory reset, go into settings > privacy > factory reset. After it boots up, the sync will be there until it resyncs your accounts and apps. When everything has synced up, the sync icon will be gone (method tested and confirmed).

Wiping data prior to installing should prevent the sync issue...

NOTE: It is normal for it to sync for up to an hour or longer...use these methods if the sync icon doesn't go away after all of your apps, email, and contacts have synced."

Hope this helps...

Xponentially Better
04-22-2011, 06:20 AM
So if the icon is stuck there is it really syncing forever or is the icon just stuck?

scottpole
04-22-2011, 06:59 AM
So if the icon is stuck there is it really syncing forever or is the icon just stuck?

I don't think it is syncing forever just stuck there. I may be wrong though.

Yummy LibertyBread with a side of Superuser :P

skennelly
04-22-2011, 07:28 AM

As mike posted, you need to wipe data and it will go away. Otherwise, yes, it is there forever.

gr8mick1
04-22-2011, 07:31 AM
I just renamed blurcontactsync.apk to blurcontactsync.apk.bak and the icon went away as soon as i exited root explorer. I did wipe before I installed and still had the sync icon the whole time. If you force close it it will come back on reboot but renaming it or freezing it will stop it forever.

mikeinrichmond
04-22-2011, 07:32 AM
...And will dramatically decrease your battery life...

(Swypin' GB Liberty on the go)

Skipholiday
04-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Ditto works perfect~!
I just renamed blurcontactsync.apk to blurcontactsync.apk.bak and the icon went away as soon as i exited root explorer. I did wipe before I installed and still had the sync icon the whole time. If you force close it it will come back on reboot but renaming it or freezing it will stop it forever.

Xponentially Better
04-22-2011, 03:44 PM
As mike posted, you need to wipe data and it will go away. Otherwise, yes, it is there forever.

No help at all. I did read what he said. I asked if its really syncing all the time or just stuck up there.

Chessnut
04-22-2011, 06:26 PM
From the GB FAQ...

"Q: I installed it, and now the sync icon won't go away...how do I fix it?

A: You didn't wipe data, most likely. The instructions don't say that wiping data is necessary, and I guess some may not have problems without a wipe. However, I had the endless sync, which was fixed by a factory reset (data wipe).

UPDATE: It has been reported that force stopping Contact Sync will stop the sync. To do this, go into settings > applications > manage applications > all, and select Contact Sync. Select force stop, and see if the sync icon goes away. You can also try freezing Blur Contact Sync in Titanium backup. My understanding is that the blur contact sync process is not necessary, since contacts sync with the Google Account.

Try that first, but you will need to do a factory reset to clear all data if that doesn't work.

To do a factory reset, go into settings > privacy > factory reset. After it boots up, the sync will be there until it resyncs your accounts and apps. When everything has synced up, the sync icon will be gone (method tested and confirmed).

Wiping data prior to installing should prevent the sync issue...

NOTE: It is normal for it to sync for up to an hour or longer...use these methods if the sync icon doesn't go away after all of your apps, email, and contacts have synced."

Hope this helps...

Yup, did the contact sync and its gone. Thanks

Chessnut
04-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Ok, right after I'd finished posting thanks, the icon came back, gonna try factory reset and see.

Skipholiday
04-22-2011, 11:40 PM
why is that?
...And will dramatically decrease your battery life...

(Swypin' GB Liberty on the go)

Chessnut
04-23-2011, 12:11 AM
factory reset did it. Ty

pinballtec
07-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Here is what I found. For those seeing the "Sync" icon next to the "3G", this is how I take care of it. I noticed it only appeared after plugging the phone into my PC and also having recalled there being some mention of it possibly being the phone trying to sync w/ Google contacts. Instead I went into the "Gmail" application on the phone. Once there I hit the menu button and hit "Refresh" (you'll notice it's the same symbol). In a few seconds the Sync symbol in the notification bar was gone. It should stay away until you plug your phone into the PC again. I can only verify this with my phone that it doesn't come back unless I plug it into the PC. Additionally, this only seemed to occur only AFTER I changed how the phone behaves when plugged into a USB port (I switched it to "PC Mode"). It used to be on USB Mass Storage I believe. Either way, it's no longer an issue for me and I hope it helps someone.