PDA

View Full Version : Rooting a stock Gingerbread phone?

h0tt 5auc3
04-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Hey all,

So I haven't taken the dive into rooting yet, and I know someone will probably yell at me because there's posts all over about rooting, yet I had a different sort of question. I got my Droid X just about a month ago, and saw the OTA thread on here, and did a manual update to GB. Now since this was a signed update, I was able to update to GB without rooting.

My question is, is the root process any different now that I have a GB Droid X? Are there any extra steps I should take and/or is it a risky process?

Thanks!

hitokiri
04-20-2011, 11:37 AM
wait a min... GB is officially released now? - sorry for taking this thread off course

h0tt 5auc3
04-20-2011, 01:31 PM
No, I got the version that was leaked, but because it was a signed copy, it worked. Is rooting it the same as any other rooting process?

d3vilfish
04-20-2011, 01:33 PM
There is no rooting if your on unrooted gb you have to sbf back to froyo and flash a rooted version

mikeinrichmond
04-20-2011, 01:35 PM
You cannot root GB if you d/l and installed the original OTA. 588 leak that some folks received. The version that can be flashed through clockwork is already rooted...I'll post up links when I get home...

(Swypin' GB on the go)

lifebeginsfriday
04-20-2011, 01:40 PM
I foolishly flashed .588 when it first hit. Not thinking about not being able to root it. Hopefully that will change in time. As of right now I did find a work around to blue tooth tether to my XOOM. So im content for now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Leach19m
04-20-2011, 01:46 PM
I foolishly flashed .588 when it first hit. Not thinking about not being able to root it. Hopefully that will change in time. As of right now I did find a work around to blue tooth tether to my XOOM. So im content for now.

You could sbf back to 2.2.340 and flash the rooted gingerbread

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

h0tt 5auc3
04-20-2011, 01:47 PM
So wait, if I don't have a rooted version, how do I 'sbf' back to froyo?

popcenator
04-20-2011, 01:51 PM
SBFing doesn't require root access. Search for the complete SBF guide through google (its actually on droidforums.net) and it'll explain the process. You need to be in bootloader (power button+volume down button+camera button).

GBDX

cory46
04-20-2011, 03:51 PM
I'll actually help you out a bit too pocenator mentiond the sbf guide.. here is one on the site itself...... http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html
aaaaaaaaannnnnn this here..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c58XaWnr6XE"

and read through it if your unfamiliar... its got some updates to the thread and people have solved some issues others were having..

lifebeginsfriday
04-21-2011, 08:54 AM
You could sbf back to 2.2.340 and flash the rooted gingerbread

Can I? I thought I was stuck due to the updated kernel? I sbf'd to install in the first place so I have everything I need. I just didn't think I could sbf back to froyo.

mikeinrichmond
04-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Can I? I thought I was stuck due to the updated kernel? I sbf'd to install in the first place so I have everything I need. I just didn't think I could sbf back to froyo.

Doesn't have to do with kernel, it the bootloader version that is important
Since the leaked GB and Froyo both use 30.04 its fine to sbf back and forth. Now when the official OTA drops it may have a different version, so therefore folks would be unable to go back once they have installed it..

(Swypin' GB Liberty on the go)

lifebeginsfriday
04-21-2011, 09:20 AM
So as long as im still on bl 30.04 I think it is I can go back to froyo? Sorry if I seem slow right now lol im not completely new to this im just nervous going backwards... if that makes sense.

h0tt 5auc3
04-21-2011, 10:13 AM
SBFing doesn't require root access. Search for the complete SBF guide through google (its actually on droidforums.net) and it'll explain the process. You need to be in bootloader (power button+volume down button+camera button).

GBDX

So I tried this last night and the sbf file I downloaded wouldn't show up in rsd lite. I could open the file using '...' But it wouldn't sure the details of the file. I used the one thats in the link in the droidfoums.com site. :/

macpro88
04-21-2011, 10:45 AM
So I tried this last night and the sbf file I downloaded wouldn't show up in rsd lite. I could open the file using '...' But it wouldn't sure the details of the file. I used the one thats in the link in the droidfoums.com site. :/

See the my sig for a detailed SBF guide if yo haven't already, what OS are you on?

popcenator
04-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Yeah, the OS is important in getting the process done completely, if you're on Windows 7 (my only experience, unfortunately) then make sure the correct drivers are installed, you have the full SBF file, and the current RSD Lite version (4.9 I believe). I placed the SBF file on the desktop so I could find it easily.

Here's the site to get everything you need.
Droid X SBF (http://sites.google.com/site/1kdsdroidx/home)

Or use Mac's guide, he knows his stuff and could probably get you to where you need to be easier.

ejgilkey
04-22-2011, 11:14 AM
A root method for GB is now available. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24514

Gingerbreak Released

randyp1234
04-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Looks like I don't need to worry about blocking the OTA update now!! I was getting attached to wireless tethering now and then.

Thanks all!!

mikeinrichmond
04-24-2011, 05:56 AM
A root method for GB is now available. Gingerbreak Released (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24514)

Gingerbreak Released

@ h0tt 5auc3, Yes, now that Gingerbreak is released, may as well try that first, because you can always SBF back to Froyo if it doesn't work for you.

moving to GB subforum...

h0tt 5auc3
04-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Ended up using gingerbreak. Love it!