PDA

View Full Version : Tethering Use Is Being Recorded

Snow02
04-19-2011, 07:16 PM
So I'm not trying to be alarmist, but if you're tethering you should be informed. I was looking through some databases and ran across a list of data usage for all of your apps by uid. Well, I figured I'd start up a tethering session just to see, and sure enough, a uid of 0 showed usage with the current timestamp. Additionally, this is the only entry for uid 0 out of nearly 5000 entries. Looking into it, UID 0 is the standard UID for root, and tethering appears to be the only app using data as root.

So this may not mean that much, however, it can probably prove that you've been tethering in the case of a dispute. If nothing else, it can prove that you've rooted. I'm sure it'd be quite easy to pull that info from the phone as well.

So again, it's not my intention to rile anyone up or start any tethering debates, but I feel like you deserve to know what data is being collected so you can make more informed decisions.

This is in /data/data/com.motorola.android.datamanager/databases

Additionally, there is an entry in the wifihotspotreceiver, which is in the datacollection.apk, that appears to specifically log tethering use, and the time it's used. I can't seem to find the entries for this log, however.

fc127
04-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Wow, tangible evidence... I thought I would never see the day. Thanks, Snow, for noticing this.

The next question, therefore, would be can Motorola or Verizon access this information at will or would they have to gain access to your phone physically?

Snow02
04-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Also, while the airplane mode trick will let you get around the verizon splash page prompting you to pay for a tethering plan, your data is still recorded as tethering. Same goes if you're using the tbh patch. Basically, if that "hotspot is active" icon is in the notification bar, all data is marked as tethered regardless of what app you're using.

skennelly
04-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Are you on GB? I was curious, so I looked up the folder you are talking about and there is no com.motorola.android....etc. I'm on liberty 2.0.1. Just curious who they are tracking.

Snow02
04-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Yes. This is for gingerbread. And no one said anything about tracking.

Vidfinnx
04-19-2011, 08:17 PM
So is this also recorded on non gb? Just want to know if I may need to switch back to froyo.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Snow02
04-19-2011, 08:21 PM
It should not be for froyo. I only say should not because I haven't checked, but I would say no, froyo does not have this built in.

SVDroidDude
04-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Very interesting. I guess Verizon feels this is stealing and might start doing something about it. If they offered their tethering service for a reasonable fee I would be inclined to use it....but $20/mo on top of current rates is too much IMO, especially if you rarely use it.

fc127
04-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Very interesting. I guess Verizon feels this is stealing and might start doing something about it. If they offered their tethering service for a reasonable fee I would be inclined to use it....but $20/mo on top of current rates is too much IMO, especially if you rarely use it.

Especially for 2 gb...

Snow02
04-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Again, try to refrain from starting up that debate again please or i'll just request the thread be closed. Iow, keep it on topic. Thanks.

Snow02
04-19-2011, 08:46 PM
But yeah, it wasn't shocking to see since we've heard about it the past few weeks, but it's a matter of what's going to be done with it. I'm not sure what the law says with regards to reading information from a personal phone without the owner's knowledge or consent.

popcenator
04-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the information, Snow. Good find.

GBDX

Snow02
04-19-2011, 08:50 PM
There is an add-on database editor for root explorer in the market. You could always go in and delete those fields if you're intent on tethering and trying to fly under the radar. But there are several tables in that database, this one just had the most explicit evidence of monitoring. There could be other values that would give you up, but at least this would obscure the volume of tethered data.

Not that I am recommending that.

joshw0000
04-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Is the uid always 0 when using a wifi app or only while you're actually tethering? I tried it with 3g hotspot but no other devices where actually connected. Here's what I got:

http://tapa.tk/mu/aefcb659-4103-6c2a.jpg

I don't fully understand what the data represents.

Snow02
04-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Right. Connect a device, pull up a web page on it, and then look again.

Wulf
04-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Looks like it records the tx(transmited data) and rx(recieved data) and stores it. So a tether app or hotspot app would "turn on" and record the data?

Snow02
04-19-2011, 11:47 PM
The system picks up on the ip rerouting that takes place to enable tethering. When it detects this, it starts logging data as tethered.

Wulf
04-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Im glad I dont tether! No worries:big smile:

SoundQcar
04-20-2011, 12:06 AM
It should not be for froyo. I only say should not because I haven't checked, but I would say no, froyo does not have this built in.

Yet another reason why I don't plan to ever update to GB.

Vidfinnx
04-20-2011, 12:07 AM
Bleh I would be inclined to pay the tethering charge if it wasn't limited to 2gb and so much more but I work in ems I work long hours to so having portable internet makes my work days a whole lot better for me because I am never just sitting next to a Starbucks etc...to get wireless net.

Vidfinnx
04-20-2011, 12:08 AM
So I guess it may be back to froyo for me till things are sorted

Snow02
04-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Well, sit tight. As soon as the OTA rolls out for real, I'll let you know how to avoid the monitoring.

noz177
04-20-2011, 12:10 AM
So all this incriminating evidence is in the phone and not in some database at Verizon wireless as far as we know. And a force upload to verizon wireless has not taken place.

Snow02
04-20-2011, 12:14 AM
So all this incriminating evidence is in the phone and not in some database at Verizon wireless as far as we know. And a force upload to verizon wireless has not taken place.

We have no idea what they're going to do with it. The fact is, everything we've heard appears to be true. That doesn't mean there isn't a workaround, but they are obviously taking steps to be able to prove who is tethering and who is not.

noz177
04-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Ok. Seeing that 3g hotspot is the problem with GB is there a way to safely remove this feature.

Snow02
04-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Nope.

Getsome122
04-20-2011, 12:43 AM
I wonder if it would show up the same with bluetooth tethering.

I paired my Xoom to my X and been tethering via bluetooth. No app required.

DX- rooted, overclocked, unthrottled, and running whatever ROM i felt like for today.
Twitter: Getsome_122

Snow02
04-20-2011, 12:53 AM
I tried earlier and couldn't get it to work because of a weak cell signal. Thanks for reminding me. I'll let you know in a sec.

Vidfinnx
04-20-2011, 01:18 AM
I will have to wait for all this dust to settle heh back on froyo rubix focused I love that rom. Its so speedy so glad I can finally post on here with this app

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

deletion
04-20-2011, 01:32 AM
What if you use USB tethering? Are they concerned with that also? There is one class each week that I can't get internet in and use easy tether to get internet. I was just wondering if this type of tethering is what they are after or if it is just the wifi tethering that is such a huge issue.

Snow02
04-20-2011, 01:47 AM
I haven't tried usb tethering yet. Remember, this isn't indicative of them actively doing anything. More likely they're just laying the groundwork for later.

The bottom line is you will get a notice before any further action is taken. That may not hold true for those truly abusing it, but if you only tether rarely they will give you the opportunity to stop before charging you.

deletion
04-20-2011, 02:03 AM
I haven't tried usb tethering yet. Remember, this isn't indicative of them actively doing anything. More likely they're just laying the groundwork for later.

The bottom line is you will get a notice before any further action is taken. That may not hold true for those truly abusing it, but if you only tether rarely they will give you the opportunity to stop before charging you.

I am not worried about anything like that but I was just mainly curious if the same recording of the "unauthorized" use of my "unlimited" data was in effect.

Snow02
04-20-2011, 02:07 AM
If you're on gingerbread, and the active hotspot notification is there while you tether, absolutely.

deletion
04-20-2011, 02:12 AM
If you're on gingerbread, and the active hotspot notification is there while you tether, absolutely.

Then question answered. When doing my usb tethering through easy tether. That icon was not present at all. I might still do what you described in your first post just to make sure tomorrow.

Snow02
04-20-2011, 02:32 AM
Yeah, I'm not familiar with how easy tether works. It could be fine. But you now know how to check at least.

WugFresh
04-20-2011, 02:57 AM
I don't about EZ-tether but I know how PDAnet works and I am assuming its essentially the same thing:
PDAnet requires you to install client side software on the computer you are trying to tether to. It works by setting up a local ip address on your machine and redirects traffic through your phone to that ip. Essentially it turns your phone into a proxy server but rather than redirecting traffic over the Internet to your computers ip, the traffic is actually redirected through your usb cable and communicates with the open local port at the address the client side software sets up for you.

I don't know if EZ-tether requires client side software, but if it doesn't I would assume that it uses the standard local protocol through the usb connections like port 80 or whatever it is. I will have to check if this data log can identify the redirect.... I know that it doesn't change the way the data flows through the device itself because its not actively broadcasting a hotspot signal. It should appear as normal data usage from my understanding, but I will have to check.

Regarding this info in this thread though. Snow you are definitely right, this is probably in preparation for something much grander regarding plans to stop people from tethering without a plan. However to the same extent, they could most definitely have a system set up right now where they send out a data packet towards your phone and it returns them all the database entries for UID with a 0. When I was leaked information I was specifically told that they can see who is tethering by sending simple packets to the phone, at the time I was unaware of this database, but now that I have seen this, it would make sense that this is part of that scheme.

However.... not to be the evil rooted hacker (to be honest I haven't tethered in a very long time)... I don't suppose it would be all that difficult to create an app that changes these database entries automatically, or prevents them from being entered at all. Just thinking.... things that collect data can be altered... that's all I am going to say for now.

{{ WugFresh }}

skennelly
04-20-2011, 07:07 AM
First: wug & snow, your inteligence never cease to amaze me. Thanks for all you guys do for us.

Second:

So I guess it may be back to froyo for me till things are sorted

I am still on Liberty 2.0.1 and plan to stay for a while. Which is disappointing because I just saw this from jrummy:

One zip install from Froyo Liberty to Gingerbread Liberty done ;)

Snow02
04-20-2011, 07:16 AM
I already have a very simple workaround. It's not practical to leave set up all the time, but if you need to tether, you'll be able to without it being recorded. It's so simple it's silly.

Snow02
04-20-2011, 07:21 AM
@wug Yeah. I have no doubt they will be able to just ping a phone they suspect of tethering and instantly tell if they in fact are. They could do broad sweeps very efficiently this way.

Vidfinnx
04-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Crazyness

fmkaiba
04-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Just remove in /system/app all the datamanager*.apks and all the datacollector*.apks . I can find no adverse effects. And it stops the recording

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

cynkrzy
04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Just remove in /system/app all the datamanager*.apks and all the datacollector*.apks . I can find no adverse effects. And it stops the recording

That in an of itself may tip them off, if their "request" doesn't receive a response (and one of those .apks may be the responder) it would may trigger something in their monitor.

Snow02
04-20-2011, 10:03 AM

No doubt it does. I imagine removing just the datamanager apk would be sufficient. If that's all it does, it should be fine to remove. I was going to decompile it and have a look before mentioning it. I don't like removing system apps unless I feel sure it won't break anything.

Snow02
04-20-2011, 10:04 AM
That in an of itself may tip them off, if their "request" doesn't receive a response (and one of those .apks may be the responder) it would may trigger something in their monitor.

Also true.

Vidfinnx
04-20-2011, 10:39 AM
No doubt it does. I imagine removing just the datamanager apk would be sufficient. If that's all it does, it should be fine to remove. I was going to decompile it and have a look before mentioning it. I don't like removing system apps unless I feel sure it won't break anything.
Lol I wish I was that smart on programming to know about decompiling etc

bl33d
04-20-2011, 12:47 PM
I only tether on rare occasions i take my ipad somewhere and when i do i just conenct it to my droid x via the built in bluetooth connection and my ipad uses my data from my droid x. I dont see why this would be a big deal right? i mean we are talking maybe 100 meg and that prob pushing it as i just browse and check twitter/facebook.

weedahoe
04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Oddly enough, one of the things I had noticed running in the background when checking ES Task Manager was the DataCollection app. I know it wasnt one Froyo and just the name of the app doesnt sound good so I had froze it with TiBu.

spodoc
04-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks snow.

Mike7143
04-20-2011, 05:09 PM
I only tether on rare occasions i take my ipad somewhere and when i do i just conenct it to my droid x via the built in bluetooth connection and my ipad uses my data from my droid x. I dont see why this would be a big deal right? i mean we are talking maybe 100 meg and that prob pushing it as i just browse and check twitter/facebook.

Your 100MB on the iPad isn't that much and probably isn't a big deal but is probably still technically considered stealing.. The main problem is when people connect up to their computers and entire home networks for normal internet use including playing online games, Xbox, Playstation, etc. etc. etc. It's easy to burn 5GB if you download torrents. That's what's breaking the camel's back. Technically even though tethering another Droid X to your Droid X would be barely noticeable, Verizon still deems it stealing since you're using internet on another device besides your device.

tech_head
04-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Use Titanium Backup and just freeze the data collection services.

jerofld
04-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Your 100MB on the iPad isn't that much and probably isn't a big deal but is probably still technically considered stealing.. The main problem is when people connect up to their computers and entire home networks for normal internet use including playing online games, Xbox, Playstation, etc. etc. etc. It's easy to burn 5GB if you download torrents. That's what's breaking the camel's back. Technically even though tethering another Droid X to your Droid X would be barely noticeable, Verizon still deems it stealing since you're using internet on another device besides your device.

If anyone tethers their Xbox or PS3 to a smartphone, they are just really...really...really stupid. That would be horrible lag. Maybe 4G could do it, but I doubt it.

scottpole
04-21-2011, 09:18 AM
If anyone tethers their Xbox or PS3 to a smartphone, they are just really...really...really stupid. That would be horrible lag. Maybe 4G could do it, but I doubt it.

I've done it a few times played black ops and homefront with no lag issues.

cleopete
04-21-2011, 06:13 PM
But yeah, it wasn't shocking to see since we've heard about it the past few weeks, but it's a matter of what's going to be done with it. I'm not sure what the law says with regards to reading information from a personal phone without the owner's knowledge or consent.

Not a lawyer, but that sure sounds comparable to some one going to the cops claiming, "I want to report a jaywalking incident I saw while selling cocaine!" Of course if VZ wanted to sell cocaine it would probably become legal in a hurry.

WillMiii
04-21-2011, 06:47 PM
In titanium backup, does anyone know any adverse effects with freezing data collection 1.0 and data collector services 1.0?

Gingerbread: not just a x-mas treat!

Skipholiday
04-21-2011, 06:54 PM
In titanium backup, does anyone know any adverse effects with freezing data collection 1.0 and data collector services 1.0?

Gingerbread: not just a x-mas treat!

I have both frozen and no problems.

kirbnite
04-21-2011, 07:35 PM

4G 7-8 mbps down on average 4-5 mbps up. Deff ok for online gaming.

DefinNormal
04-21-2011, 07:39 PM
I already have a very simple workaround. It's not practical to leave set up all the time, but if you need to tether, you'll be able to without it being recorded. It's so simple it's silly.

CHMOD? r--r-----

WugFresh
04-22-2011, 03:51 AM
I just don't see the full scheme yet.. it has to be more involved than that... why would they do it on the system level that they know we can touch? Don't want to give them advice... but I assuming that they are well aware what we can and cannot mess with...

{{ WugFresh }}

lithiasales.js
04-22-2011, 04:39 AM
...... still tethering, still lawling @ these threads.

spodoc
04-22-2011, 05:34 AM
...... still tethering, still lawling @ these threads.

Everyone is impressed with your boldness.

Jasandroidx
04-23-2011, 11:43 AM
I love this forum. Thanks for the info guys. I was wondering about that extra icon.

ashpdwinDX
04-23-2011, 12:26 PM
I Still tether and I'm not too worried about it either. I use more data on the phone itself in an hour than I do 6 hours of tethering.

Sent from Darkslide 4.2 Taco Edition

WugFresh
04-26-2011, 12:20 AM

Did you follow up on this Snow? Or shall I get to digging? I am curious about what all those data apps do. What would be sweet is if we could identify it pinging back to moto server.

{{ WugFresh }}

mahagam3r
04-26-2011, 12:23 AM
what's the deal with PDA net? is that "illegal" tethering? I mean, you don't have to root to use pda net...

Snow02
04-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Did you follow up on this Snow? Or shall I get to digging? I am curious about what all those data apps do. What would be sweet is if we could identify it pinging back to moto server.

{{ WugFresh }}

Yeah. Don't remove or freeze the datamanager app. It will remove some functionality. I really don't want to publicize anything until the ota rolls out so it doesn't get fixed.

WugFresh
04-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Yeah. Don't remove or freeze the datamanager app. It will remove some functionality. I really don't want to publicize anything until the ota rolls out so it doesn't get fixed.

Word. That's fair. Not looking to publicize anything either. Just trying to get the big picture. :)

{{ WugFresh }}

Snow02
06-08-2011, 06:10 PM
So, apparently there is also a log of tethering use specifically. The attachment is from the wifihotspotreceiver.smali in datacollection.apk. However, I can't seem to find any logs where this is being written. There are different classes of logs for various system events, categorized as MOT_CA_STATS_L1, MOT_CA_STATS_L2, etc. So that should be written in the log if anyone finds it.

You can change the "[ID=DC_HOTSPOT;ver=0.33;time=" entry (there's 2) to that of another system event such as "[ID=DC_UNLOCK;ver=0.33;time=" (log entry for when the phone is unlocked) and everything still functions normally. Granted, I'd only be concerned with this if you're extremely paranoid, but there it is nonetheless.

And no, you can't freeze datacollection.apk without breaking several things.

Asharad
06-08-2011, 06:43 PM
what things get broken? I had froze mine for a few hours on GB595, when I was freezing a ton of other apps.

Mike7143
06-08-2011, 06:53 PM
what's the deal with PDA net? is that "illegal" tethering? I mean, you don't have to root to use pda net...

Just cause it's in the market and doesn't require root doesn't mean Verizon says it's ok.

dude's mobile

weedahoe
06-09-2011, 05:54 AM
Agreed on the freezing with no issues. Im still on 595 and have the following frozen and tether with the OEM Hotspot app with TBH for DX applied.

Data Collection 1.0
Data Collection Service 1.0
Data Manager Service 1.1
DataCollectorProvider 1.0

Now maybe thats different from the datacollection.apk but I didnt see it anywhere in TiBu

Asharad
06-09-2011, 06:31 AM
I didn't say there were no issues. I was asking da man who knows there are issues. :)

weedahoe
06-09-2011, 06:55 AM
^^^^ Thats fine because I was backing you up and referring more to Snow02 as him saying things get broken ;)

Money Mike
06-09-2011, 07:39 AM
I also had all of those frozen with no issues. At least I didn't notice any issues.

P1h3r1e3d13
07-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Revive?

I'm very keen to know if there has been any new info on this in the last month. I just moved up to GB and would very much like to know if we've figured out what exactly is going on when we tether and if it's okay to freeze those programs.

Without going on too long a rant, let's not call this “stealing.” It might be breach of contract, but “stealing” is way overused and helps John Q. Uninformed jump to erroneous conclusions.

selcric
07-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Revive?

Without going on too long a rant, let's not call this “stealing.” It might be breach of contract, but “stealing” is way overused and helps John Q. Uninformed jump to erroneous conclusions.

Umm... using a service that you aren't paying for....whether 10mb or 10gig...falls under stealing...I think the problem isn't John Q. Uninformed as much as it is John Q. Opinion saying things like...'lets not call this stealing"

P1h3r1e3d13
07-06-2011, 01:58 AM
Umm... using a service that you aren't paying for....whether 10mb or 10gig...falls under stealing...I think the problem isn't John Q. Uninformed as much as it is John Q. Opinion saying things like...'lets not call this stealing"Sure. I really don't want to hijack the thread to debate this. PM me if you'd like my opinion.

If anybody has info about Verizon tracking tethering or the other topics in this thread, I'd love to know.
Thanks!

Snow02
07-06-2011, 02:31 AM
Sure. I really don't want to hijack the thread to debate this.

Thank you.

weedahoe
07-06-2011, 05:47 AM
I can only speak for me but Ive been tethering ever since I first got my DX when it first came out. Ive been on all the GB leaks and still on .595

I initially used wifi tethering apps from the Market and PDAnet but for the longest I have been using the hacked OEM HotSpot app. My fam used it on the 4th when we were all together at my brother in laws house. He has wireless internet but wont give anyone his wireless key so they could get online. I started to go reset his damn router and set it to unsecured just to mess with him. Anyway, they were on for hours wirelessly to my DX and with about 3 different devices.

This month Im a little over 5 Gb which is about the average for me.

pheonix991
07-06-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm on Liberty .9, and so far nothing bad about freezing all those data manager/collection apps.

1wired1
07-10-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm on Liberty .9, and so far nothing bad about freezing all those data manager/collection apps.

Which are the data collection apps we can freeze?

Thanks

pheonix991
07-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Which are the data collection apps we can freeze?

Thanks

There are 4 apps. two say data collector, the other two are data manager. You can freeze both of them, and I haven't had any negative effects.

1wired1
07-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Thank you

liquidx
07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Im on rooted. 596 and o see the 2 data collections but iv got one data manager and something else should I just freeze all of them

1wired1
07-11-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm freezing everything I can. I dont want anything running I'm not using or needing. All I want is good battery life.

havensed
07-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Its all gone when you run ceryain roms....such as Apex.

Apex 2.0 RC2, at my speed, blurless is amazing, very blacked out with super green accent.

liquidx
07-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Ok im running darkslide x and flashed this patch and froze some data apps I should be good right

havensed
07-12-2011, 05:03 AM
Yes

Apex 2.0 RC2, at my speed, blurless is amazing, very blacked out with super green accent.

nutpn
08-21-2011, 09:26 PM
When I froze mine on my droid pro ,I couldnt get in my data settings,but now on my Droid Pro loaded with cyanogen mod,I dont have any Apk,s that say that.

I did notice the original froyo also had the apps too.

droidxchat
08-22-2011, 03:03 AM
the collection and provider apks don't exist on miui either...

great thing about cyanogenmod and miui and liquid, these guys are built from source (based off cyanogen) so you know anything in the rom is there for a reason we know about, no secrets

pheonix991
08-22-2011, 07:11 AM
the collection and provider apks don't exist on miui either...

great thing about cyanogenmod and miui and liquid, these guys are built from source (based off cyanogen) so you know anything in the rom is there for a reason we know about, no secrets
Only issue I had tethering with those roms is even on the charger, when I was pulling a lot of download, it would be losing battery. Battery life on those roms was sooooo bad for me.

droidxchat
08-22-2011, 03:47 PM
yes battery life on these 2nd init roms is worse by default, but with a few tweaks, miui batt life can be comparable to stock

WugFresh
08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
So, apparently there is also a log of tethering use specifically. The attachment is from the wifihotspotreceiver.smali in datacollection.apk. However, I can't seem to find any logs where this is being written. There are different classes of logs for various system events, categorized as MOT_CA_STATS_L1, MOT_CA_STATS_L2, etc. So that should be written in the log if anyone finds it.

You can change the "[ID=DC_HOTSPOT;ver=0.33;time=" entry (there's 2) to that of another system event such as "[ID=DC_UNLOCK;ver=0.33;time=" (log entry for when the phone is unlocked) and everything still functions normally. Granted, I'd only be concerned with this if you're extremely paranoid, but there it is nonetheless.

And no, you can't freeze datacollection.apk without breaking several things.

Wait what? You edited the smali in datacollection.apk and it's still working? Can you send me your modified apk? I dont have apktool setup on my machine right now. I am working on an updated GB tether patch, so I would appreciate any new info you have.

{{ WugFresh }}

Snow02
08-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Eh, I don't have My X anymore. Post your file and I'll edit it though.

WugFresh
08-23-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm on ssx right now. If anyone else can post datacollection.apk that would be sweet. Otherwise I will post it when I get home. Thanks Snow.

{{ WugFresh }}

Wulf
08-23-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm on ssx right now. If anyone else can post datacollection.apk that would be sweet. Otherwise I will post it when I get home. Thanks Snow.

{{ WugFresh }}

Here you go.

http://db.tt/cyezbJv

h8isgr8
08-23-2011, 12:28 PM
What supposedly breaks if you freeze datacollection.apk?

If that's the same as "Data Collection 1.0", then I've always had that frozen. Tethering works and everything functions fine.

Snow02
08-23-2011, 03:32 PM
What supposedly breaks if you freeze datacollection.apk?

If that's the same as "Data Collection 1.0", then I've always had that frozen. Tethering works and everything functions fine.

Primarily things like message and email address aggregation. In hindsight, "break" might have been too strong a term. It would have been more accurate to say there may be some reduced functionality that may or may not be noticeable.

Snow02
08-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Here you go.

Thanks. I'll get it to wug later today. Is this from .602?

Wulf
08-23-2011, 03:58 PM

No, forgot I flashed Dsx over 602. Sorry.

iDr0id
08-23-2011, 03:59 PM
does this patch work on. 602? My brother is having issues

Wulf
08-23-2011, 04:06 PM

Here the one for 602

Snow02
08-23-2011, 04:27 PM
does this patch work on. 602? My brother is having issues

There is no patch in this thread.

Chessnut
08-23-2011, 04:46 PM
There is no patch in this thread.

Is there a patch anywhere or thread?

Snow02
08-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Is there a patch anywhere or thread?

Wug has a thread for that, yes. It's here somewhere...

iDr0id
08-23-2011, 06:49 PM
I was on this thread and wugs thread at the same time lol, I didn't mean to post that here :P

Chessnut
08-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Wug has a thread for that, yes. It's here somewhere...

Ty

h8isgr8
08-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Primarily things like message and email address aggregation. ,

Not exactly sure what you mean by that, but never noticed any problems with text or emails.

I have all these frozen with no problems....

Data Collection 1.0
Data Collector Service 1.0
DataCollectorProvider 1.0

I think I tried freezing Data Manager Service 1.1 before and that caused issues, though I don't remember what they were exactly.