PDA

View Full Version : Gingerbread Battery Life

friguy3
04-19-2011, 03:03 PM
So I am running Rooted GB and have noticed my battery life stinks. My X used to last easily through the day and be around 40% from 6am to 7pm. Well now GB lasts from 6am till 4pm and its dead.

So what is your experience?

Snow02
04-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Give it a few days. It will improve. There's several of these threads already, try perusing them for some input.

80hd
04-19-2011, 05:16 PM
I think I only get 80% of what I did under Froyo.
Then again I can't put it down since it had been a while since I saw what was new out there and having a blank slate for a phone is making me tinker a lot.

Wulf
04-19-2011, 08:59 PM
My battery life on gb has never been better.

Snow02
04-19-2011, 09:01 PM
My battery life on gb has never been better.

What's your screen on time there wulf?

InsomNiaC
04-19-2011, 09:16 PM
when i first flashed GB i was getting terrible batt life and i have a 1800mwh battery. i did a calibration of the battery and since then i get about 20-24 hrs depending on usage.

TideFan22
04-19-2011, 09:24 PM
I've getting better battery life on gb stock and broodcomb than I got on any 340 rom. Give it some time and calibrate your battery, and also at the moment we don't really have a also rom out yet, broodcomb is as close as there is at the moment

Rammer Jammer

Wulf
04-19-2011, 10:56 PM
What's your screen on time there wulf?

15 hrs and 50 minutes and still at 20% and light to moderate use. Works for me!!!:big smile:

Snow02
04-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Lol. No. Tap on the display line in the battery usage. It will tell you how long your screen was on for.

j00fek
04-20-2011, 08:11 AM
worse

Ext
04-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Much worse - I have removed a ton of bloat and run pretty lean and battery life pales in comparison to Rubix.

doomsayer
04-27-2011, 12:18 PM
My battery went from 100 to 40 in about 2 hours...no wifi, bluetooth, gps...all of it off...

Then I downloaded the battery calibration tool and it's been at 40 since this morning...I'm going to fully charge tonight and run the calibration and see how it runs tomorrow...

kafreeman
04-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Mines worse... calibrated the battery and still no dice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Willup
04-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Mines worse... calibrated the battery and still no dice.

Thats about what mine looks like but I have things that conflict with that. I don't actually believe that i only have 2 some hours of time. lol using Apex 2.0 which is pre tweeked, used quickclock app to calibrate voltages and set to battery saver profile. Screen is at 10 brightness. data sync is off. Battery is fully calibrated. I know for sure I get more battery life then what is being posted on there. Anyone else feel the same way? Unless I did something wrong which I don't think I did

doomsayer
04-28-2011, 10:10 AM
After running battery calibration, mine seems to be running great now...

kafreeman
04-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Thats about what mine looks like but I have things that conflict with that. I don't actually believe that i only have 2 some hours of time. lol using Apex 2.0 which is pre tweeked, used quickclock app to calibrate voltages and set to battery saver profile. Screen is at 10 brightness. data sync is off. Battery is fully calibrated. I know for sure I get more battery life then what is being posted on there. Anyone else feel the same way? Unless I did something wrong which I don't think I did

My screen brightness is at zero, data sync is on. Calibrated the battery with BatteryCalibration app.

What mV is your battery typically at when "fully" charged? I saw ~4164 millivolts this morning according to the Battery Indicator system notification widget or app... whatever it is.

Going to recalibrate again.

Question... do you let it die, and fully charge without turning back on, or let it die, charge for a while then turn back on, or plug it in just before dying (5%)?

Willup
04-28-2011, 10:54 AM
I did a full calibration via Wug "Battery Optimization thread" Usually I charge while its on, however I did follow directions to discharge it and charge while off to 100% wipe battery stats. Let run out of battery completely, and charge while off to 100%. Just followed directions of the thread. Normal use I do charge it while on.

Did some math and found out that the information in the battery information is way off. Full discharged last night. Normal/Heavy use today, and im losing an average of 4% battery power per hour. That would be roughy 48% lost in 12 hours!! My battery will be around 52%! I know my numbers are not off. And I think all the tweaking, has made it so the battery stats aren't being calculated correctly in the settings. LOL I don't really care as long as I have good battery life.

devilsephiroth
04-28-2011, 11:42 AM
I think battery life on liberty was much better than blurry gb. That's obvious. Although gb battery os noticeably better than froyo. Overall battery life isn't an issue for me since I have 4 batteries and a battery charger. You guys might want to take a look over at ebay.

Gingerbread ... mmmmm!! tastes good!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

cizzlen
04-30-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't know what's going on with the forums I already posted but I'll try again... hope it's okay mods.

My battery was phenomenal with Liberty .01 going at 2% every hour on standby. After a week it began draining just like my old replacements and just like on Froyo. I calibrated and SBF'd numerous times

Xponentially Better
05-02-2011, 05:05 PM
after a calibration the battery turned out to be way better. but before sucks more than a hooker in a frat house. but now its so great.

Talon66721
05-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Here's what I've noticed since yesterday; at the job yesterday, I had a relatively poor signal. I hardly talked, a few texts, checked the weather a couple of times, but mostly in standby. I was down to around 18% after 8ish hours. Today, I was at a different jobsite with full signal. I used Pandora and Slacker for a bit until they couldn't keep up and kept buffering enough to irritate me, then I switched to my music for a couple of hours, texted some, talked some, had bt on (as always), also gps and wifi (which weren't yesterday), and was still over 50% after about 9-10 hours. I have a theory that it's like my old flip phone, that is if you're on the edge of signal it will drain really quickly. Strange how it didn't do this with any roms on Froyo that I noticed. I'm on Liberty v .4 with the original battery in case you were wondering. Only way I can get my radar app to work. Just some food for thought for everyone. I would love to hear some feedback on my theory, btw, everyone. Shoot it down, agree with it, offer a fix, I'm easy. Thanks, and let's all try to figure out how to get some better battery life.

Snow02
05-03-2011, 08:49 PM
That's not a theory. It's a known fact that poor signal is horrible for battery life.

Talon66721
05-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Hey Snow, any thoughts as to why I didn't seem to notice this as much on Froyo? Just curious, because it drained a little quicker, but nothing like on Gb. Thanks.

Snow02
05-04-2011, 07:47 AM
My guess is this is based on a limited observation, and you happened to have a really poor signal that day. Gingerbread definitely has better battery life than froyo, and as the cellular radio works independently of the OS, there should be no difference in its power use regardless of OS version.

Talon66721
05-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Good point, Snow, I guess I didn't think it through far enough, did I? That should have been common sense. Maybe I'm just getting too tired from working so much lately to think straight. Thanks for the help on that.

devilsephiroth
05-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Good point, Snow, I guess I didn't think it through far enough, did I? That should have been common sense. Maybe I'm just getting too tired from working so much lately to think straight. Thanks for the help on that.

Buy an extra oem battery.

Gingerbread ... mmmmm!! tastes good!

Talon66721
05-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Actually just got one in the mail yesterday. Came in handy today, too.

mikelets456
05-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Here's what I've noticed since yesterday; at the job yesterday, I had a relatively poor signal. I hardly talked, a few texts, checked the weather a couple of times, but mostly in standby. I was down to around 18% after 8ish hours. Today, I was at a different jobsite with full signal. I used Pandora and Slacker for a bit until they couldn't keep up and kept buffering enough to irritate me, then I switched to my music for a couple of hours, texted some, talked some, had bt on (as always), also gps and wifi (which weren't yesterday), and was still over 50% after about 9-10 hours. I have a theory that it's like my old flip phone, that is if you're on the edge of signal it will drain really quickly. Strange how it didn't do this with any roms on Froyo that I noticed. I'm on Liberty v .4 with the original battery in case you were wondering. Only way I can get my radar app to work. Just some food for thought for everyone. I would love to hear some feedback on my theory, btw, everyone. Shoot it down, agree with it, offer a fix, I'm easy. Thanks, and let's all try to figure out how to get some better battery life.

I posted my settings earlier but found out there is a slight anomaly with GB .588 and I found this out by accident. I too had a similar experience... my work had poor signal and I would lose 50% power by virtually doing very few things in an 8 hour period. Then I noticed in strong signal I was using the phone medium to heavy use and after 8 hours was at 80%. Here is something interesting I found out...if I turned the phone off every 2nd or 3rd night while charging I would get the same great battery life at work (light use but steady) or at home with great signal (medium use). At the end of the day (work) I am at 80%.

Asharad
05-11-2011, 05:56 PM
That's not a theory. It's a known fact that poor signal is horrible for battery life.

Absofreakinlutely. When I visit my folks, my battery needs charging thrice daily because crappy signal.

brandtb
05-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I did a battery calibration. I got 28 hours before it shut itself down after fairly normal usage. I had to do a little Angry Birds at the end to drain the last few percent before shutdown.

28 hours seems pretty good to me. I'll keep an eye on typical usage over the next few weeks, but in general GB (Liberty GB in particular) seems to be working well for me.

droidxdawgs
06-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Sorry if this is dumb but i am new at this how do you calibrate your battery?

Snow02
06-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Running it down all the way one time should be sufficient.

Or, the generally recommended method:
Download the battery calibration app.
Charge your phone to 100%.
Use the app to clear battery statistics.
Run the battery all the way down.
Charge to 100%.

You must be rooted to use that app.

devilsephiroth
06-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Battery life is great, just need to understand blur battery settings, and I have 4 batteries