PDA

View Full Version : What's the thinnest case with covered ports?

Chris H
04-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Is it the Cyclops, or maybe the Commuter? Are there any others?

I know about the Kraken, Defender, and Seidio Rugged but I'm looking for something thinner.

As far as looks, I'm leaning towards the Commuter. Also, the plastic shell seems like it would be easier in and out of pockets. But I'm concerned about the port flaps not staying closed. I've seen complaints about this for the Commuter.

I've seen hemi's and m0pp's comments on the Cylcops. It also looks nice but it doesn't seem to be as thin as the Commuter. Has anyone had the chance to use both of these yet?

I think m0pp complained about the hdmi port not staying closed on the Cyclops but hemi said his was fine. I guess it depends on the one you happen to get.

hemi1300
04-20-2011, 05:09 PM
i have the commuter, as well as kraken, cyclops, and incipio cases. The commuter in my mind is junk, was really disappointed. I really like the look and feel of it with the back plastic, and the port covers aren't that great but they do stay closed for the most part. My main problem with the commuter was the home buttons on the case, they were much more difficult to push and when pushing them, the silicone would lift up at the buttons and was a very loose fit. This caused dust to get on the buttons just from being in my pocket. Almost seemed like the buttons would get more dust on them than with a case that doesn't cover them, bc the silicone is a loose fit and it would trap dust down there. Between the commuter and cyclops, obviously i believe the cyclops is a much better designed case, but is also quite a bit bigger than the commuter. My favorite cases so far (out of MANY!!!) for the dx are the kraken and cyclops, i tend to alternate back and forth btwn these two

Chris H
04-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Thanks hemi, that's good info.

Although, I couldn't stand it after I posted, so I went ahead and added the Commuter to an order at Newegg I had to place. It will be here tomorrow. I really liked the back plastic and have seen other posts about it being easy in/out of pockets.

I didn't realize the problem with the loose silicone though. I wish I had waited at least a day after I posted, ha! That's the main reason I didn't go with the Seidio Rugged, was because I wanted the home buttons to stay covered and clean. We go to Florida beaches quite a bit and I can see sand getting around the buttons. What I do like about the Rugged is you can easily use either bulky rugged or thin case, but the other reason I didn't go with it was because when using the thin Innocase, neither the buttons nor the ports are covered.

But I can always return it or just use it for now and get one of the Tridents one day. The funny thing is, I don't even have the X yet. I'm with Alltel and they have just recently offered the X for $280 ($180 after mir). I know I'm gonna get it but I'm giving it a couple of weeks to see if they drop the price. In the meantime, I'm scooping up accessories for it. I'm looking for a 32GB memory card now, they're not cheap either!

Richard3
04-21-2011, 12:55 PM
I hope there are more comments on this thread. I was just about to ask the same question. But how much smaller is the cyclops vs. The kraken. I usually carry my phone in my pocket so size matters.

I was also going to get the commuter but I heard of problems with the port covers and the hard outer shell cracking

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums