PDA

View Full Version : GB's problems

Chessnut
04-19-2011, 02:02 AM
There's so many problems with GB, im going back to froyo for now. What about you? If not, why not?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Snow02
04-19-2011, 02:04 AM
Nope. Way better than froyo in every way.

Droid-Xer
04-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Still on froyo here. Gingy didn't work well for me. Bad battery life and phone was too warm even at idle.

backseatsuicide
04-19-2011, 02:17 AM
What issues are you talking about. Please elaborate. Cause I think its better then Froyo in a lot of ways. Its definitely a step forward for Android. Just another thing making it better then iOS/iPhone! Android and GB for the win!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

fezrock
04-19-2011, 02:33 AM
Loving GB! No problems with the OS itself. Just a few glitches in the mods, but that will all iron out with a little time.

Free your MOTO! http://www.groubal.com/motorola-lockedencrypted-bootloader-policy/ -sent via mobile forum app
H2O-mark'd

j00fek
04-19-2011, 07:16 AM
terrible battery life so far, i might go back as well.

used 70% battery in 24 hrs, terrible

Snow02
04-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Unless that's a 3500 mAh battery, you're nuts. Even then, with a decent amount of use, that wouldn't be out of line.

Droid-Xer
04-19-2011, 07:24 AM
Ya that's good battery life. No need to switch back. A smartphone was made to be used. Anything over 24 hrs and you're not really using your phone.

bigmook
04-19-2011, 07:51 AM
Ya that's good battery life. No need to switch back. A smartphone was made to be used. Anything over 24 hrs and you're not really using your phone.

+1

free me

j00fek
04-19-2011, 08:09 AM
i just came fron tranquility 3.7 didnt have to plug in for 4+ days with the same apps,services and use

Snow02
04-19-2011, 08:10 AM
i just came fron tranquility 3.7 didnt have to plug in for 4+ days with the same apps,services and use

Then you had the radio turned off. Otherwise, I call shenanigans.

j00fek
04-19-2011, 08:16 AM
wifi and +1 dim always on

ill flash back and take pix if needed :wink:

Snow02
04-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Yep. Definitely pics or shens on that.

j00fek
04-19-2011, 08:58 AM
could be the 6 or 7 more services running in the backround, im not deodex'd.......

hillmom
04-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I've SBFed 3 times since I started the GB ride. The first time was to get back to stock for the original flashing. The second time was because I removed some necessary files and the last time was to try and fix a force close issue (most likely related to the deodex.zip I used).

For the most part I LOVE Gingy! There are some things I don't like, such as not being able to edit facebook contacts or freezing stock browser causes google voice search to force close when trying to search the web (but I never tried that feature before switching). All my fault.

However, some of features let me delete a couple apps. I don't need an app organizer anymore. The home screen is adjustable enough I dropped ADW Launcher. Nonetheless, I so excited for a Liberty ROM!

Go back to Froyo.... absolutely not! This is way to fast for me to even think about it.

JNEHAMA
04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
There are always glitches when moving to something new and usually that ends up triggering the desire for the stability of what we had. For example, in the case of battery life, we all know alot plays into that- how much you are using the phone being a huge one, screen and button brightness, background functions etc. When we get into a new system almost by definition we are using the phone more as we set up etc, as compared to a rom we've been on for awhile and have optimized our settings. Really not a true comparison. Take the same amount of time that you took to set up your froyo rom, apply it to gingerbread, learn gingerbread nuances(for example how to handle those bright keys), and then take the 36hours to completely reset your battery. Then if you tell me battery performance is worse I'll believe it.

Now that doesn't mean you should do that. You may not feel it's worth the hassle, but you need to be comparing oranges to oranges (can't refer to that red fruit here! LOL). For me, gingerbread has its annoyances but it is much smoother than froyo, apps lists fill up much faster and after the deodex resolution (thanks unckleduke) I have fewer fc's than ever. So I'm staying here and learning its little glitches and doing what it needs to improve them. Just for kicks go back and read threads relating to a new rom. You'll see all the same things, some people living the new stuff and ignoring all the little troubles it has, others complaining about those same troubles and not seeing the benefits. It's all perspective and people should do what makes them happy. After all its a phone, not a major life decision. You only need to please yourself.

Sorry for waxing philosophical today. Good luck to all whether you are of GB or froyo! :-)

HarleyDude
04-19-2011, 12:18 PM

+1 on that.
Gingy is great, only problem I had is incompatibility with the widgetsoid switcher in the notification area, which is far offset by the noticably faster speeds on most everything. I'll only go back to froyo when I decide to install rooted gingy (maybe this weekend, got too much work to catch up on)

eric eakin
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
deodexd and oc'd and not a single problem yet! Battery was way better once i ran the battery calibration app (and the fact i quit playing with it as much - screen hasnt been off since the leak was installed!) wait, only problem i have is from me deciding to flash an older themed market... that isnt going to well haha:omg:

Wulf
04-19-2011, 03:33 PM
I get close to 15 hrs with moderate use. Today light use just text and forums im going on 10 hrs and battery is at 50% Like some other have said give it time.

deodexed Ginger Man is juiced up and ready for action.....

Konceptz804
04-19-2011, 03:48 PM
To the users complaining of battery life, have you wipe battery stats and then let the battery run down till the phone dies and then charge it 100% before turning the phone back on? I've done this with every software flash and have had nothing short of outstanding battery life.

Running latest GB with no problems.

popcenator
04-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Battery life here is outstanding as well. All of the social framework has been frozen since I don't use those features. No complaints here.

GBDX

SVDroidDude
04-19-2011, 04:06 PM
You see, problems are very subjective....some are serious issues while to others just minor annoyances. For me, having to constantly SBF would be a HUGE problem...and others can deal with it very easily. I would hope that GB is a better OS than Froyo....Froyo IMO was a pretty big improvement over Eclair.

rdtournay
04-19-2011, 04:20 PM
I had gb up for a while. Ton of fc, but was from the bad deodex file.SBF back to froyo for time being. Plus I wanted wireless tether and tikl for an upcoming trip.

Chessnut
04-19-2011, 11:16 PM
I had gb up for a while. Ton of fc, but was from the bad deodex file.SBF back to froyo for time being. Plus I wanted wireless tether and tikl for an upcoming trip.

I hear ya.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

mandog202
04-20-2011, 08:54 PM
even without a battery stats wipe my battery has been the same, or better. I put the unrooted 588 on moms DX and she has noticed an improvement as well.