PDA

View Full Version : Installed Gingerbread...now keyboard randomly stops working and device lags?

tde
04-18-2011, 02:39 PM
This issue started happening only when I installed Gingerbread. I didn't install anything new once I upgraded, so I'm thinking it's an incompatibility with Gingerbread and a previously installed app.

It happens randomly, but only when the screen turns off/locks. Sometimes when I start using my droid again, I'll notice the clock is off by a few minutes. It will correct itself after a few moments, but continues to lag. Navigating throughout the phone is slow too. I have Widgetsoid installed and none of the widgets will respond.

If I get a text message or want to do anything involving the keyboard, it will appear but will not type the keys I press. I can feel the vibrate telling me I'm hitting keys and the phone recognizes I'm hitting keys, and the suggestion bar will show the words I'm typing...but the cursor just blinks/no words appear as typed. And no, waiting for characters appear from possible lag doesn't do anything...they never appear. If I select a word from the suggestion bar, it does not appear in the text field. If I hit send anyways, it won't send anything.

I have a couple keyboards installed Better Keyboard 7 & 8, and the Gingerbread Keyboard...doesn't matter which I select to use, doesn't stop this problem. I've disabled all of the keyboards aside from the default one, still happens. The only way to fix the lag and keyboard issue is to shut off the phone or do a battery pull.

I have to do these 1-2 times a day and it's extremely annoying. Has anyone had a similiar problem occur? I would love to know what it is so if it's just an app I have I can uninstall it. It doesn't seem to effect any of my other non-widgetsoid widgets, either.

Snow02
04-18-2011, 03:45 PM
This issue started happening only when I installed Gingerbread. I didn't install anything new once I upgraded, so I'm thinking it's an incompatibility with Gingerbread and a previously installed app.

That's your problem. You should have wiped data before installing. Do a factory reset and it will work fine.

tde
04-18-2011, 07:03 PM
I did wipe. After I installed Gingerbread I reinstalled the same apps I had when I ran froyo.

Mv3rck
04-22-2011, 06:21 PM
I have the same issue, but I just got the phone two weeks ago. On occasion, using both the stock messaging app and handsent, I will go to reply and one of two things will happen (1) either I will see the cursor but no txt appears (2) or it won't even show the cursor, and still no txt. I did notice though if it's problem 1 and just not showing txt, when I hide the keyboard the words I typed will show up in the reply box, but not if it's problem 2. I have the thunderbolt with android 2.2.

bigmook
04-23-2011, 01:44 AM
I have the same issue, but I just got the phone two weeks ago. On occasion, using both the stock messaging app and handsent, I will go to reply and one of two things will happen (1) either I will see the cursor but no txt appears (2) or it won't even show the cursor, and still no txt. I did notice though if it's problem 1 and just not showing txt, when I hide the keyboard the words I typed will show up in the reply box, but not if it's problem 2. I have the thunderbolt with android 2.2.

What you have to do is. Wipe data and cache in the android keyboard app..

free me

devilsephiroth
04-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Same issue here. Looks like a problem for more than one.

Gingerbread ... mmmmm!! tastes good!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

marvelous7325
05-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Sorry for bumping this thread, but i thought i'd respond instead of creating a new one. the issue i'm having with my gingerbread droid x is that they stock keyboard literally freezes/locks up. i can go to different screens or rotate and it'll still be on the screen, i can't type at all. To get around this i have it switch input method to my swype keyboard and then switch back to the multi-touch stock one. Is there a way to fix this? I saw it said wipe data and cache, but i feel like i'd lose everything if i did that. thanks for your time in advance

pjniez
05-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Sorry for bumping this thread, but i thought i'd respond instead of creating a new one. the issue i'm having with my gingerbread droid x is that they stock keyboard literally freezes/locks up. i can go to different screens or rotate and it'll still be on the screen, i can't type at all. To get around this i have it switch input method to my swype keyboard and then switch back to the multi-touch stock one.

I'm having the exact opposite problem... I an on the .573 Gingerbread. I use Swype and it periodically won't let me type. In order to fix it, I switch to the Multi-touch keyboard and then back to Swype.

Sent from my who knows where on my DX.

marvelous7325
05-19-2011, 11:51 PM
I'm having the exact opposite problem... I an on the .573 Gingerbread. I use Swype and it periodically won't let me type. In order to fix it, I switch to the Multi-touch keyboard and then back to Swype.

Sent from my who knows where on my DX.

Haha. I have that gingerbread build too. This must mean it's not the actual keyboards, but the build. I hope it's not the case because I have my phone set up the way i want, with the screens the way i want...i really don't feel like updating to the latest gingerbread release or soon to be release.

Snow02
05-20-2011, 12:14 AM
You can do a clockwork backup and then just restore the data portion once you flash .588. Everything will be just like it is now.

marvelous7325
05-20-2011, 12:49 AM
You can do a clockwork backup and then just restore the data portion once you flash .588. Everything will be just like it is now.

I was trying to do a clockwork backup but it won't let me because my.573 isn't rooted and it can't access the superuser. is there a work around to this?

matjmonk
05-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I was trying to do a clockwork backup but it won't let me because my.573 isn't rooted and it can't access the superuser. is there a work around to this?

did you try re-installing the Z4 or Gingerbreak apk's and rerunning the root process?