PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed Working Gingerbread fun!

TRAGIC
04-18-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm running gingerbread 4.5.588 Rooted.
Some things are working right some things aren't.
So far so good though. I like the new look and feel. But wish I could find a way to do a few things. There is also a few things I want to fix.

So far with droid I've learned near anything is possible, and I feel almost safe saying I can't brick my device.

So what I am wanting to know is where is all of the fun working stuff at?

I'm not deodexed so slot of theme stuff is out of the question. But while digging around on the forums I found a themed pandora apk that is sick and worked flawlessly.

Can someone do that kind of thing to ADW so that when you open the app drawer the stock drawer is an option?

The thing is I like adw. But I really like the new stock app drawer.

Also can someone post some links for custom apk files? I really wanna know where I can get themed apps bad! That pandora one was a tease. big thanks to the creator of it.

Any links to good working fun is appreciated.
Fun includes but is not limited to:

Custom apps

Themes not deodexed. Maybe custom Adw ones?

How to install from sd? Doesn't seem to work I just get a blank screen when using droid x bootloader. Even tried the one for droid 2.

And any other ideas you might found useful.

Thanks in advance to all that reply, I know this stuff ain't easy. Your help is much apprecieated :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

TRAGIC
04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Ok I figured out install from zip. I used droid 2 bootloader and it loaded clockwork.
What all can I install from sd?

turdbogls
04-18-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm running gingerbread 4.5.588 Rooted.
Some things are working right some things aren't.
So far so good though. I like the new look and feel. But wish I could find a way to do a few things. There is also a few things I want to fix.

So far with droid I've learned near anything is possible, and I feel almost safe saying I can't brick my device.

So what I am wanting to know is where is all of the fun working stuff at?

I'm not deodexed so slot of theme stuff is out of the question. But while digging around on the forums I found a themed pandora apk that is sick and worked flawlessly.

Can someone do that kind of thing to ADW so that when you open the app drawer the stock drawer is an option?
I have heard you can longpress the ADW app drawer button and change the shortcut to show your stock folder options. you cannot make the stock app drawer appear, but you can at least get your folders you created to show up. i havent tried it tho.

My suggestion is to download Go Launcher as it has a pretty awesome app drawer built in with folders. you can arrange your icons in any mannor you like, and you have tabs bwtween all apps, recent apps and running apps. very handy. you dont get all the themes you get with ADW, but for the most part, it is a quick and slick launcher.

The thing is I like adw. But I really like the new stock app drawer.
see above

Also can someone post some links for custom apk files? I really wanna know where I can get themed apps bad! That pandora one was a tease. big thanks to the creator of it.
I dont have any direct links, but i know in the themeing section on these forums there are some, as well as XDAdevelopers. XDA is a great community of themers and i know they have done quite a few. just search for "custom XXXXX.apk XDA" and somethign should come up.

Any links to good working fun is appreciated.
Fun includes but is not limited to:

Custom apps

Themes not deodexed. Maybe custom Adw ones?
ADW themes are located in the market. type ADW in the search and you cannot miss them.

How to install from sd? Doesn't seem to work I just get a blank screen when using droid x bootloader. Even tried the one for droid 2.

And any other ideas you might found useful.
for a different look, just check out some icon packs and use whatever launcher you are using to change the icons to ones you like. it gives your phone an entirely new look. check out the "show your screens" posts to get some ideas....there are a lot of cool ideas floating around in here.

Thanks in advance to all that reply, I know this stuff ain't easy. Your help is much apprecieated :)

answers above in quote

Ok I figured out install from zip. I used droid 2 bootloader and it loaded clockwork.
What all can I install from sd?

usually install from .zip is only for custom ROMs and Themes. but you can basically install anything from a .zip as long as it is in the correct format. you can install new system apps to replace or add to the current ones, and replace .xml files to change some stuff "behind the scenes" that make your phone better. the possibilities with this phone are endless.

and P.S. it is called Droid x/2 bootstrapper....not bootloader. you may confuse people if you call it bootloader.

Dr. Carpenter
04-18-2011, 03:19 PM
I came up with a workaround to use the stock app drawer with adw. On your homescreen, add a shortcut and pick app groups, then all apps. Then drag that shortcut to the dock. I've attached the stock icon and dock background for you too if you want to use it.

Only problems I've found so far is that you can't directly add an app to the homescreen from the app drawer, you have to longpress the homescreen, hit shortcut, then application. Also, longpressing home brings up the old style recent apps screen not the drawer group.

Oops... guess I can't upload zip's from the phone. Give me a minute and I'll upload them from my computer.

OK here they are:

Also, and this should go without saying, if you freeze the stock launcher, this will not work. I e-mailed the dev of ADW a couple weeks back about porting the app drawer for use in ADW, but he didn't seem too interested :(

TRAGIC
04-19-2011, 01:11 AM
That worked for me boss now I can use ADW again. :)

I got install from zip themes figured out.
Any idea of where I can Find themed apps?

TRAGIC
04-19-2011, 01:13 AM
The zip would not work for me... But idk it's cool :)

Dr. Carpenter
04-19-2011, 10:53 AM
I just downloaded the zip from my post and the images are there... try re-downloading it. All it is is 2 PNG files...

Your not trying to install the zip are you? It's just an old-fashioned zip :-)

TRAGIC
04-19-2011, 11:11 AM
I usually can unzip on my droid. This fille gives me an error.....

TRAGIC
04-19-2011, 11:15 AM
It says "invalid zip".

Dr. Carpenter
04-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Not sure what the problem is... it unzipped fine for me using root explorer. Maybe try extracting the images individually...

TRAGIC
04-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Ill try root explorer

Im looking for themed apps!

xzavier247
04-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Such as random shut downs, freezing? Or could it be apps installed?

TRAGIC
04-19-2011, 08:37 PM
I get random shut down when playing music I think it happens when I press pause...

Gelu
04-21-2011, 12:47 AM
I came up with a workaround to use the stock app drawer with adw. On your homescreen, add a shortcut and pick app groups, then all apps. Then drag that shortcut to the dock. I've attached the stock icon and dock background for you too if you want to use it.

Only problems I've found so far is that you can't directly add an app to the homescreen from the app drawer, you have to longpress the homescreen, hit shortcut, then application. Also, longpressing home brings up the old style recent apps screen not the drawer group.

Oops... guess I can't upload zip's from the phone. Give me a minute and I'll upload them from my computer.

OK here they are:

Also, and this should go without saying, if you freeze the stock launcher, this will not work. I e-mailed the dev of ADW a couple weeks back about porting the app drawer for use in ADW, but he didn't seem too interested :(

I tried doing the trick in ADW to get the stock drawer again, but I can't find the option you are talking about. Any chance you could attach a picture of what you selected? Thanks

DefinNormal
04-21-2011, 01:44 AM
I tried doing the trick in ADW to get the stock drawer again, but I can't find the option you are talking about. Any chance you could attach a picture of what you selected? Thanks

Dr. Carpenter
04-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Yup that's it :) then just drag it to the dockbar and longpress to change icon if you ever got the zip I posted to open up...

TRAGIC
04-21-2011, 01:04 PM
I did the same thing worked good. Only flaw is you can't add apps to home using the long press options in. the drawer.

DefinNormal
04-21-2011, 01:35 PM
I did the same thing worked good. Only flaw is you can't add apps to home using the long press options in. the drawer.

I just placed a icon on one of my home screens for the ADW app drawer for adding apps. I'm lazy like that.

Dr. Carpenter
04-21-2011, 02:45 PM
I just placed a icon on one of my home screens for the ADW app drawer for adding apps. I'm lazy like that.

Lol not a bad idea... if I had room on any of my homescreens :-) I don't keep a lot of apps on homescreen so it's not a big deal to do it the long way :-)

Dr. Carpenter
04-21-2011, 02:49 PM
The only other thing I wish I could do is have the gb recent apps pop up instead of the old style. I hated only having 8 recent apps. Maybe I can do it with tasker... gonna try it out

Edit: don't see that option in tasker... can only program search and camera buttons. :-( oh well

DefinNormal
04-22-2011, 01:01 AM
Lol not a bad idea... if I had room on any of my homescreens :-) I don't keep a lot of apps on homescreen so it's not a big deal to do it the long way :-)

You could always add it to the hidden dockbar. I love that option.

eric eakin
04-22-2011, 02:22 AM
Os there a way. To keep the gb app drawer from always opening to the top of the list? I.e.. if I was last in the "s" section of apps when I left it come back and it return to where I was?

Dr. Carpenter
04-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Os there a way. To keep the gb app drawer from always opening to the top of the list? I.e.. if I was last in the "s" section of apps when I left it come back and it return to where I was?

I don't think so...

Dr. Carpenter
04-22-2011, 08:00 PM
You could always add it to the hidden dockbar. I love that option.

Ya I use the hidden dock for all my root stuff... root explorer, bootstrap, ninjamorph, etc

Snow02
04-22-2011, 08:25 PM
The only other thing I wish I could do is have the gb recent apps pop up instead of the old style. I hated only having 8 recent apps. Maybe I can do it with tasker... gonna try it out

Edit: don't see that option in tasker... can only program search and camera buttons. :-( oh well

Your can make a shortcut to the "recent" app group. If you're using something like swipepad you can access it from anywhere.

Wulf
04-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Is there a way to add a picture to drop down screen?

TRAGIC
05-04-2011, 03:41 AM
Is there a way to add a picture to drop down screen?

ninja morph I think