PDA

View Full Version : DX concern, otterbox or trident kraken?

devdroid
04-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Currently, on my phone I have this case: http://www.cellularoutfitter.com/productpics/big/motorola-droid-x-silicone-skin--lime-green-interlace-.jpg and this screen protector: http://service-iphone.net/images/cases/Screen-Protector_00002_.jpg (yes that would be an iphone screen protector...)

I am 15 year's old and I go to the beach very often, and my phone goes many different places and it around very different surroundings. What finally made me want to get a new case was that EVERY time I went to the beach, my sillicone case would be covered in sand which took a while to get it off the case, there would be sand in my speakers, head phone plug, and charger port, and near the notification light and around the edges of the screen beach sand would be in all of the cracks which took maybe 30 minutes to get out with a safety pin. So after a day of research I have narrowed it down to the Otterbox or the Trident Kraken. There are many questions that I have which will be posted below for any owners of each phone case. Since the otterbox is 50 dollars, its going to take alot of chores for me to get the case so I want to make sure I get the correct one for me. Here are the questions:

Do either of the cases if dropped in sand will get any sand stuck on them?

Do either of the cases make the phone noticeably heavier? Does anyone know which one is heavier?

If you have both which one do you prefer?

Do you have any problem with sliding the notification bar on either case?

Also if you have both could you please state in case I get some further questions.

And overall, which one would you have to say is the best case? Thank you!

spodoc
04-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Otterbox will get lots of sand stuck to the case and will be annoying if you do not intend on removing the phone when you get home and clean the case. The skin is a rubbery silicone that definitely attracts sand. That said I love it because it covers up all the ports except for the mic and camera. I remove mine when I return from the beach and I wash the case down. The phone does not get any sand on it

devdroid
04-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Since the case is cillone does it get stuck in your pockets often? I always have the hardest time getting my current phone case into my pocket. If i go into verzion do you think they will get me try the phone case on and not buy it? i want to be in on amazon for cheaper

spodoc
04-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Only a clown will have pants big enough to stick a DX otterbox in. Strictly a belt clip thing IMO

Ok well I've done it on occasion but it is not comfy. Yes it sticks.

mugz91
04-17-2011, 08:48 PM
I work in a steel mill and yes, anything and everything that can stick to the silicon sheath will stick to it. That being said, I'd rather have it stuck to the case than the phone; easy enough to clean it off.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

devdroid
04-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Does the trident have the silicon problem too?

spodoc
04-17-2011, 09:57 PM
I work in a steel mill and yes, anything and everything that can stick to the silicon sheath will stick to it. That being said, I'd rather have it stuck to the case than the phone; easy enough to clean it off.

Plus one :)

stm_
04-18-2011, 01:03 AM
i have the trident and i can say you are going to get a decent amount of "stickiness" with it, but its a great case and would recommend it. that being said it's easy to clean and solidly built.

devdroid
04-18-2011, 07:43 PM
goodness now i just found out about this cyclops case? is this one any better? im not really looking for strong protecting as it strength, just as something from dust/dirt/sand/scratches get on my phone/

deedscreen
04-28-2011, 12:53 AM
I have the Trident Kraken myself, great protection!!!

Slappy
05-02-2011, 03:13 PM
I've gone through Amazon up and down trying and returning cases, and I stuck with a Qmadix. I had the Defender for a while (not that bad if you need that much protection), but the screen cover has a bit of glare and makes moving things between docks hard. The silicon came off a few times when I pulled it out of my pocket, so I agree with the holster option being the only good one. After taking the plastic frame apart a few times, it got to where it wouldn't close all the way and would make a squeak when i pressed down on it. The Kracken was much much better, and I still recommend it even though I don't use it. Both love dust, but they're easy to clean (probably had to do it once a week). If you can get around the looks, go for the Kracken. Also, take a look at the Cyclops. I almost stuck with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Trident-KKN-DX-BK-KRAKEN-pk-Case-Retail-Packaging-Black/dp/B004CN7Q0S

http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defender-Motorola-DROID-MB810/dp/B00413NSUQ/ref=pd_cp_cps_1

^ check those for weight an dimensions

TiarnGuinness
05-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Go for the trident cyclops. It's a bit smaller than kraken but works better. Easier to pull down the notification bar.