PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried Drewgaren's BROODCOMB rom?

lynneddington
04-17-2011, 12:49 PM
I just downloaded it, looking for a little feedback before i install. Thanks

mx750
04-17-2011, 12:51 PM
didnt know about it but im gonna check it out lol ive like all the previous roms so far from him, there nothing special but very smooth

TheFandroid
04-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Does it work on .588?

lynneddington
04-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Thats what its made for.
Does it work on .588?

C Dippa
04-17-2011, 12:55 PM
The Honeycomb theme does look pretty sweet. Hmmm....maybe I'll load it up to check it out

lynneddington
04-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Sorta what i thought, something to do while watching the race.

The Honeycomb theme does look pretty sweet. Hmmm....maybe I'll load it up to check it out

lynneddington
04-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Dippa, could you post a link to it, ive never figured out how.

C Dippa
04-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Yup...it's here: drewgaren.com (http://drewgaren.com/DrewGaren/Broodcomb.html)

Since it's new and untested here...make a backup before trying it and proceed carefully

mx750
04-17-2011, 01:05 PM
if i was you id hold out on this, his twitter says something about an update coming to fix the bad apps in this rom

lynneddington
04-17-2011, 01:05 PM
+1. Always make a backup before trying anything. Very well spent 5 minutes.

Yup...it's here: drewgaren.com (http://drewgaren.com/DrewGaren/Broodcomb.html)

Since it's new and untested here...make a backup before trying it and proceed carefully

C Dippa
04-17-2011, 01:11 PM
if i was you id hold out on this, his twitter says something about an update coming to fix the bad apps in this rom

Yeah, you're right...thanks for the heads up. It would be best to hold off for now. I'm curious though, so I'll probably load it up anyways. :p

lynneddington
04-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Nice info.

fersayken2
04-17-2011, 02:43 PM
I have installed this rom and have had zero problems. It says to load after fresh rooted .588. Im lazy so I just wiped the crap out of it before and after I flashed it. Worked flawlessly. Very smooth and fast.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

TideFan22
04-17-2011, 02:51 PM
I downloaded it earlier, just waiting on the braves and the race to go off

My phone's named Gunther and he loves Gingerbread, he tells me it makes him run Smoooooth

darkstar73
04-17-2011, 03:27 PM
I flashed it last night. So far, no issues to report.

TheFandroid
04-17-2011, 03:30 PM
I flashed it last night. So far, no issues to report.

How is it?

Bxrider117
04-17-2011, 03:32 PM
I loaded this this morning without a hitch. Drewgaren seems to be the only one pushing out DX roms with the new GB leak. I am not having any issues at all and I have it OC to 1.2mhz. Seems stable. I will let it ride for at lease a day or two unless I experience and issues. So far very smooth.

Leach19m
04-17-2011, 03:55 PM
I installed it, and it kept rebooting anytime I tried to install my titanium backup and bootstrap APKs off my SD card. But rebooted into stock recovery and wiped data and it fixed the issue. I did lose that sweet honeycomb boot animation though :(

Hmmm, turns out that without that factory reset it reboots anytime I try to install any app, be it from the market or an APK on my SD card. I miss blurless ROMs so much and I want to ensure I'm getting every aspect of this one that I'm going to SBF and reinstall gingerbread so it will be a fresh install then try this rom again. I shall report back with my experience on a completely fresh install

Yup....after an SBF and fresh .588 install, the rebooting issue was indeed resolved. Soo glad to be free of Blur once again, Moto..........you suck. Stop crapping all over android, please.

tieman123
04-17-2011, 06:24 PM
I had the leaked rooted Gingerbread rom installed. Installed this rom and did a backup and restore and wiped data and cache. Now i can't install the Droid 2 Bootstrap. I get the reboot everytime i try. I guess i'll have to do a factory reset as well.

craig7220
04-17-2011, 06:38 PM
I had the leaked rooted Gingerbread rom installed. Installed this rom and did a backup and restore and wiped data and cache. Now i can't install the Droid 2 Bootstrap. I get the reboot everytime i try. Now i can't get into recovery to restore my last backup.

I guess this little trial is going to make me have to reload the sbf and leaked rooted rom :(

Try booting and do a factory wipe and reset. Fixed the reboots for me. It's running great here and is surprisingly fast.

Droidx316
04-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Getting ready to load this myself.Noone else is making any roms for the DX but this guy.

GoBlue13
04-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Getting ready to load this myself.Noone else is making any roms for the DX but this guy.

There will be several roms for gingerbread coming out in the near future. Liberty, Gummy Jar, and ApeX have all been announced.

Sent from my OC'd GingyX

Droidx316
04-17-2011, 07:25 PM
There will be several roms for gingerbread coming out in the near future. Liberty, Gummy Jar, and ApeX have all been announced.

Sent from my OC'd GingyX

Well for now ill load this and see whats up lol

Leach19m
04-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Not true. Others are in the works, but he just got his out first

Droidx316
04-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Well big mistake.Bugger keeps rebootng everytime i try to install anything
Looks like i gotta SBF

mikeinrichmond
04-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Well big mistake.Bugger keeps rebootng everytime i try to install anything
Looks like i gotta SBF

Do a factory reset, then reboot and it should be better...

TheFandroid
04-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Do a factory reset, then reboot and it should be better...

Correct. I just installed this ROM and had the same problem. It wouldn't install Bootstrapper, it would just reboot. But go into recovery and then perform a reset/cache wipe, and you should* be good to go.

C Dippa
04-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Since I don't see any instructions posted on his site, here is what I did and it loaded up with minimal issues, coming from 4.5.588.

Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Repeat step 1 and 2 again
Install zip from sd card
Choose zip
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Reboot system now

The only issues I've found so far are that a few apps need to be uninstalled/reinstalled to work properly.

jedifoamy
04-17-2011, 11:14 PM
im stuck too with ran reboot abd no recovery will show not even stock

scottpole
04-17-2011, 11:20 PM
It says it has to be installed on a fresh gingerbread. Not to mention isn't this an aosp rom? And your going from blur to aosp?

:P Tasty GingerBread with a side of SuperUser

TideFan22
04-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Im running this and it runs great, love the look also. I love how its practically blurless with just the minimal blur to have hdmi

Rammer Jammer

Chessnut
04-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Can we get a screen shot please?

scottpole
04-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Can we get a screen shot please?

The link in the 8th post has some.

craig7220
04-18-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm really starting to like this rom. I've been struggling with battery life since flashing gb 588. But since flashing this rom I'm going on 15 hours and still at 80% with moderate use.

craig7220
04-18-2011, 08:46 AM
But with the screen on full time I'm getting about 5 hours of constant use which doesn't vary alot from straight up gb 588.

fersayken2
04-18-2011, 08:54 AM
This is broodcomb....nexus pro livewallpaper

TheFandroid
04-18-2011, 09:26 AM
The look was great and it was quick but I went back to stock. Ill be waiting for liberty or apex.

jedifoamy
04-18-2011, 12:22 PM
any thing doing with recoverys it just skips recovery when using broodcomb idk if im not doing all the zips right for GB and broocomb can someone help?? and i cant install any apps so i have nothing i can do on the rom unless i sbf i cant even get to stock rec

Leach19m
04-18-2011, 03:48 PM
any thing doing with recoverys it just skips recovery when using broodcomb idk if im not doing all the zips right for GB and broocomb can someone help?? and i cant install any apps so i have nothing i can do on the rom unless i sbf i cant even get to stock rec

You can do a factory reset to fix the reboots. You will lose some elements of the ROM though, which is why I just sucked it up and did an SBF, fresh .588 install, then resinstalled the ROM. It's been running great....and I'm getting real quick at setting my phone back up exactly how I like it after all the SBFs/Wipes I've done the last few months!

jedifoamy
04-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Factory reset isn't even working at all just reboots the phone

jedifoamy
04-18-2011, 04:16 PM
And I've done sbfs so many times to get this to work idk if its worth it can u give me the links you used for ginger flash including deodexed please there are so many did versions I am on .588 all the files from tbh

Leach19m
04-18-2011, 04:19 PM
And I've done sbfs so many times to get this to work idk if its worth it can u give me the ling you used for ginger flash including deodexed please theater so many did versions I am on .588 all the fold from tbh

Don't deodex before you flash the rom. The rom itself is deodexed and it should be a completly fresh install of .588. Meaning: SBF to 2.2.340, root, install droid2boostrap, install GB, install bootstrap, install the rom.

Leach19m
04-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Factory reset isn't even working at all just reboots the phone

How are you doing the reset? From the phone settings menu? Heres how you should be doing it:

1) Shut the phone off
2) Hold home and power buttons
3) When the triangle pops up, push the power button
4) Select clear data/cache from there

That will fix the reboots if you don't want to do a fresh SBF/.588 install. Although, like I said, you WILL lose some elements of the ROM with a factory reset, because it erases all the apps, including those included with the ROM

jedifoamy
04-18-2011, 04:30 PM
I know how to get in to recovery but its not doing it I just keep rebooting when it should go In too stock recovery or anything to do with recovery

jedifoamy
04-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Ok I see I been deodexing before I will try without seizing when I get home from work that's prolly what im doing wrong thnx

jedifoamy
04-18-2011, 04:37 PM
So can I apply a different deodexed file after I flash the rom cause I want the pull down thing from tbh

thefuzzinator
04-18-2011, 04:48 PM
So can I apply a different deodexed file after I flash the rom cause I want the pull down thing from tbh

No don't install another deodexed file. Drew's site lists the ERI already installed.
Just open a terminal, su (enter) then pulldown (enter) and follow the instructions.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Chessnut
04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
The link in the 8th post has some.

Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

jedifoamy
04-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Ok thanks :)

xLaura13x
04-19-2011, 09:59 AM
I tried to dl it, but I got "download error contact dev"....so I just left it alone. I am using ROM manager, read a few threads that it's not that good, but it's worked fairly well for other ROM's I've dl....so idk lol

turdbogls
04-22-2011, 12:27 PM
I tried to dl it, but I got "download error contact dev"....so I just left it alone. I am using ROM manager, read a few threads that it's not that good, but it's worked fairly well for other ROM's I've dl....so idk lol

ROM manager is weak for the DX. just go to the site and DL it, boot into recovery, flash .zip.

been running this for a few days now and i have to say, it is really solid. on version 2.0 and have no issues. no FC's, no lagging, nothing. just a solid rom with fantastic battery life. i use it pretty consistantly from about 4 to midnight-ish and i still had 40% left. will give it the weekend test (from 8am to whenever i go to bed) tomorrow, but i have a feeling a full day will not be an issue at all.

DebianDog
04-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Yep I flashed it and love it. I never keep the stock launcher so not an issue. The 4 things I had to do for total stability

Factory reset
Wipe Dalvik cache
Reset battery (advanced option in recovery)
Camera was acting funny so I wiped data for the camera app.

Rock solid. 18 hours and 60% batteryhttp://tapatalk.com/mu/aefc697a-155b-e0db.jpg

drjimbeam
04-27-2011, 09:10 AM
I have been running this rom for the last week. Im loving it, based on looks alone it wii be very hard to get me away from this rom.

Issues ive had:
Took 4 tries 4 it to install properly, best way is using the 4 file system from p3(1,2,3 and deodex file)
Had issues with wireless, come to find out it was using wrong ip, dont understand how, static by mac and it was still trying to use the wrong ip
Real hdmi does not work for me, regular hdmi does
can not gey ninjamorph to work, but that seems to be a common GB issue
Widgetsoid doesnt work in pulldown, not sure it does on any GB rom yet.

Not one fc yet, love the animations.

Battery life has not been that good for me, but did not have a chance to run it dead until last night, reset bat stats. See how it works now.

Vidfinnx
04-27-2011, 09:24 AM
My DROID x no liked I get lots of fc on it although I wish it didn't the rom sounds promising

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

elivaldez84
04-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Well I hope that there are many others, Ive held on to my DX just cause I have not gotten cash for something else because none of the roms available actually appealed to my attention. Im sporting out Broodcomd 2.0 right now, good rom but I still want more out of a custom rom. Going to be on the look out.
Not true. Others are in the works, but he just got his out first

CommTechDX
04-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Well I hope that there are many others, Ive held on to my DX just cause I have not gotten cash for something else because none of the roms available actually appealed to my attention. Im sporting out Broodcomd 2.0 right now, good rom but I still want more out of a custom rom. Going to be on the look out. Im running Broodcomb 2.0 now Ive had it for about a week now and its solid no issues to report its a really good rom!

CommTechDX
04-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Have you tried the Imoseyon zip file from XDA forums yet? It seems to speed up the phone a bit and make it more stable they say it works for some people and not other either way there is no negative effect at all from what ive noticed I checked it in Terminal Emulator and it said everything was good to go Im running 2.0 no issues here!
I have been running this rom for the last week. Im loving it, based on looks alone it wii be very hard to get me away from this rom.

Issues ive had:
Took 4 tries 4 it to install properly, best way is using the 4 file system from p3(1,2,3 and deodex file)
Had issues with wireless, come to find out it was using wrong ip, dont understand how, static by mac and it was still trying to use the wrong ip
Real hdmi does not work for me, regular hdmi does
can not gey ninjamorph to work, but that seems to be a common GB issue
Widgetsoid doesnt work in pulldown, not sure it does on any GB rom yet.

Not one fc yet, love the animations.

Battery life has not been that good for me, but did not have a chance to run it dead until last night, reset bat stats. See how it works now.

drjimbeam
04-27-2011, 10:41 PM
well I must say battery is rather nice... after doing the bat reset this morning I have had my phone unplugged, wifi on all day, brightness up on max and using quite a bit.. 70%.. I am very happy with brood.. it took me a few installs to get it to work right for me.. but now I love it.. I have never cared for any of drew garens roms before.. I have tried them all.. but this one.. I like!!!

CommTechDX
04-27-2011, 10:45 PM
I had never heard of him until GB came to us DXers and figured what the hell and I agree this one is a keeper for now until I go A D D for another one lol
well I must say battery is rather nice... after doing the bat reset this morning I have had my phone unplugged, wifi on all day, brightness up on max and using quite a bit.. 70%.. I am very happy with brood.. it took me a few installs to get it to work right for me.. but now I love it.. I have never cared for any of drew garens roms before.. I have tried them all.. but this one.. I like!!!

04CiviCon20s
04-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Join His Beta Team and OMG, you'll be thankful as his new LL4.4 roms is EXTREMELY smooth! You have to be part of the Beta team though to get d/l..