PDA

View Full Version : Overheating from sun while in car dock?

sierra
04-16-2011, 04:43 PM
I have the motorola car dock and love it. However, the only place I can attach it is to the windshield. When its attached there, it seems to get very hot, very fast. At one point it got up to 45c very quickly. I know the dx will shut itself off if it gets too hot, but I am wondering if I should even use the dock at all when it gets that hot that fast.

I am getting ready to do a cross country trip through some very hot areas and am concerned about the heat issue.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

:)

iresq
04-16-2011, 05:09 PM
I had to switch to a vent mount to avoid same. Never had it shut down do to heat, but it will stop taking a charge.

Sent from my Droid X

sierra
04-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Ouch! Is there a way to convert what I have so that it can be made into a vent mounted one, or do I have to purchase a whole new dock? (did I waste my money? grrrrr)

Scrapy McSlappy
04-16-2011, 05:28 PM
I have mine mounted on the windshield up by my mirror and I am able to point a vent at it. It always stays nice and cold.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

sierra
04-16-2011, 05:35 PM
I tried moving it up by the mirror, but it seemed to block too much of the view. (I have a feeling that it would be an issue in Calif anyway) I dont think I have a vent that I could get to point that direction either. It is a good idea though.

Scrapy McSlappy
04-16-2011, 05:54 PM
It does block a little view but I sit low enough in the seat that it does not bother me. You would probably have a problem in cali. I am here in s. Louisiana. We do not have as many rd rules as y'all do. I do miss the west coast though.

cgtyoder
05-08-2011, 01:08 PM
(Googled for this issue, and came across this thread)

I was just out in California visiting the in-laws, and had this trouble while using my Droid X/Car Dock in the rental car (dock was attached to the windshield just above the dash). Sounds like this is not an isolated incident. Mine didn't completely shutdown, but auto-rebooted, and would not charge for a while (it was very hot, needless to say). While it was sunny out, it still isn't the hottest part of the summer, so I guess I will have to find some sort of vent mount until fall.

Scrapy McSlappy
05-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I guess mine is just in the ideal position. My vent can point directly at it mounted just off to the right of my mirror. I have an '08 Altima Coupe.

ryant35
05-08-2011, 01:22 PM
I had my DX in the car mount in the sun when it was 114 degrees F here last summer and I had no AC. The phone was too hot to touch by the time I got out of the car but it worked fine and continued to charge the entire time.

fade2green514
05-12-2011, 07:30 PM
heat degrades battery life. dont leave your phone in hot places it'll just reduce the life span

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery#Chemistries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery#Safety_issues_and_regulation)

jdmpwr07
05-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Had the same problem on a 10 hour trip to the beach. Even while plugged in it would lose battery life. Barely made it from the constant gaining and losing.

Rsmin
05-12-2011, 10:23 PM
I have mine mounted on the windshield up by my mirror and I am able to point a vent at it. It always stays nice and cold.

Same for me I have a 06 Mustang and have the vent pointing straight at it and it works great. If I don't the battery will stop charging.

47_MasoN_47
07-20-2011, 02:01 PM
I know this thread is a few months old now, but my solution to this problem was to take a thin piece of scrap aluminum and cut out a pattern that fits behind the insert that sits in the car dock for phones without a case on them. I lined the edges with tape to prevent cuts. My X was overheating constantly on the car dock before this.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-imlVU0UdcZ0/TiclxBbZ1UI/AAAAAAAAAYs/GjPh3Vp42Sg/s800/2011-07-20_13-59-25_95.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Je7LCi3mTLU/Ticl_hpViLI/AAAAAAAAAY4/BacZNlNfk1s/s800/2011-07-20_13-59-51_106.jpg

t1234y
07-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't like the look of window mounts, so l use black Velcro to attach the dock onto the dashboard. I also have a spot in front of a vent for cooling. Took a recent trip to Vegas in 109+ heat with GPS and music streaming, stayed nice and cool.

t1234y
07-25-2011, 01:49 PM
I don't like the look of window mounts, so l use black Velcro to attach the dock onto the dashboard. I also have a spot in front of a vent for cooling. Took a recent trip to Vegas in 109+ heat with GPS and music streaming, stayed nice and cool. 2083720838

Leach19m
08-05-2011, 02:13 PM
It's almost like VW knew people would mount phones there and they'd get too hot, so they put a nice big ac vent on top of the dash, blowing straight up. Even when it's 101 like in the picture, my phone sits at about 76 with the ac on, while using nav, streaming music via bluetooth from pandora/Spotify.

Loving me some Miui

elidog
08-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Vw's rock. We have 2 of them. The cardock/phone stay nice and cool

Rsmin
08-05-2011, 06:21 PM
It's almost like VW knew people would mount phones there and they'd get too hot, so they put a nice big ac vent on top of the dash, blowing straight up. Even when it's 101 like in the picture, my phone sits at about 76 with the ac on, while using nav, streaming music via bluetooth from pandora/Spotify.

Loving me some Miui

Perfect way to keep it cool!