PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so I rooted with z4 root, now what?

Aquamadman
04-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Today I took the plunge and rooted with z4 root, now I want to flash a rom but there are so many to choose from. What is the most stable gingerbread rom, is that what I call it? How do I find the best rom/theme for me, what is the difference?
I have gone through the threads and stickies but find myself even more confused.
What rom are you using, how easy was it to install and how is it working for you?
Please, I understand there are many threads to help me but in going thorough them I just become even more lost, I just want to get a sense of what is working, how well its working, any installation issues I may need to prepare for before installing and what I can do with it once in
Should I back up my phone before installing a rom, how do I do that if I do?
Thank you all for your patience with this newbie and for any and all advice given.
Aqua

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Johnny V
04-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Whenever you are going to flash a new rom, ALWAYS backup first. In case you don't like th new rom, you can go back as if nothing ever happened. You can backup your rom by going into clockwork recovery and backup/restore. Or, you can download RomManager from the market and backup your rom in there.

Once you do that, you can pick and choose what rom to try. Roms are a matter of preference. Some may like a certain rom while others don't. You have to try it and see how you like it. That's why its important to backup first so you can go back if you don't like it.

Mercrae
04-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Now with rom manager or a backup, can you just use that to flash back to stock if you don't like it? Or does that have to be done with an sbf?

Sent from a galaxy far far away. With my dx.

Edit for autocorrect.

JNEHAMA
04-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Today I took the plunge and rooted with z4 root, now I want to flash a rom but there are so many to choose from. What is the most stable gingerbread rom, is that what I call it? How do I find the best rom/theme for me, what is the difference?
I have gone through the threads and stickies but find myself even more confused.
What rom are you using, how easy was it to install and how is it working for you?
Please, I understand there are many threads to help me but in going thorough them I just become even more lost, I just want to get a sense of what is working, how well its working, any installation issues I may need to prepare for before installing and what I can do with it once in
Should I back up my phone before installing a rom, how do I do that if I do?
Thank you all for your patience with this newbie and for any and all advice given.
Aqua

First of all if you just rooted you are not on gingerbread, you are on froyo 2.2. 1android version, system build will be 2.3. 340. That is the standard DX sustem. The gingerbread you have been reading about is a leak of the new android system2. 3.340. As you can see the Android version in one has the same number as the system build of the other.

You need to decide what you want. Do you want to change to gingerbread which as of yet has few if any roms? The system itself though is a real step up in the phone abilities but is more limited in terms of themes and roms. There is work being done but it's limited right now. Or you can stay on froyo for a bit and try out a few roms. Some of the favorites are Liberty which has a new version 2.0out, Apex1. 4.1, or Rubix2. 0. Those have alot of people still on them and there's alot of support.

Now whatever you choose you will need to back up your system. Look for the threads in android development under hacking guides? One is what to do after rooting and there are threads that discuss how to use bootstrapper and titanium backup. You need to get a droid bootstrapper app. You might want to get the droid 2version since you will need it for gingerbread and it works fine for froyo. One tip for picking threads to read. Look under each forum that interests you eg. Hacking and look first at the stickied threads. They often have the most info.

Do some reading and discussing before jumping into it. You will need to decide how much to do. Good luck.