PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed 4.5.588 tether?

OldFireball
04-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Can anyone confirm tether on 4.5.588? Has anyone tried the NVRAM 3g hack on 4.5.588? Does wifi tether v30 pre9 work on 4.5.588?

If you put tether on and it didn't work, did you try turning it one while coming out of airplane mode? This always works for me on 4.5.573.

I really want to move to 4.5.588 but I need tether. Maybe I'll just have to wait for the geniuses to come up with a new fix.

mikeinrichmond
04-14-2011, 04:33 PM
The 3G Hotspot NVRam hack is not built into this, in fact, it removes it if you still had it from before according, to P3 on Twitter, due to the increased attention that VZW has been paying to this issue recently...

OldFireball
04-14-2011, 04:36 PM
The 3G Hotspot NVRam hack is not built into this, in fact, it removes it if you still had it from before according to P3...

Thanks. That sucks. Like I said, guess we'll have to give this some time for the usual suspects to figure it out.

bigmook
04-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks. That sucks. Like I said, guess we'll have to give this some time for the usual suspects to figure it out.

The ones who figured it out last time wont do it again. If you want to tether pay for it now... or pay for it laterlater

free me

Getsome122
04-14-2011, 04:39 PM
They aren't going to patch th 3g hotspot again. So you better not hold your breathe

DX- rooted, overclocked, unthrottled, and running whatever ROM i felt like for today.
Twitter: Getsome_122

kradebaugh
04-14-2011, 04:42 PM
That's lame. What if I don't care if vzw catches me :( lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Getsome122
04-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Then download wireless tether and see if it works with Gb and if it does tether away.

DX- rooted, overclocked, unthrottled, and running whatever ROM i felt like for today.
Twitter: Getsome_122

Leach19m
04-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Out of curiosity I started up the free wireless tether app from the market to see if it worked. I got a notification that "tether or hotpot active, click to configure" in my notification bar. When I clicked on it, it took me to a settings window for the 3g hotspot and wired tether. I then closed out and turned wireless tether off and my internet wouldnt work. It kept saying something about https scheme. Turning airplane on then off fixed it though.

drewlamo1
04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
yea im happy they arent including that anymore, i mean if you dont care about getting caught i understand but its bringing to much attention to us as a whole.

blymp
04-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi,

This is my first post,

I have a unrooted stock DX that i got a couple weeks ago. I discovered I can tether to my macbook and my Windows 7 desktop using blue tooth without any apps or modifications. I find it curious no one ever talks about that.

Anyway my related questions is: Can anyone confirm whether this bluetooth feature remains intact in the non rooted version of Gingerbread?

Thanks.

lithiasales.js
04-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Install it anyways ftw

ruben181
04-15-2011, 12:08 AM
I noticed that too, I usually reboot to regain internet access. Tethering has become a bit of a hassle....

Sent from my DROIDX

mikep0303
04-15-2011, 02:17 AM
The old patch works Im using it now on the new leak to write this post just apply the old patch search TBH_DX_Tether_Patch_1.0.zip make sure and download the unpatch file too if you decide to take it off. Get at me Verizon give me another reason to switch carriers lol. My phone, my unlimited data, Ill use it as I wish!

ruben181
04-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Same here but all considered switching carriers.... maybe sprint but there 3g speed and coverage is still second to Verizon in my area. The other 2 carriers .... yeah right! Lol

Sent from my DROIDX

Mike7143
04-15-2011, 10:16 AM
I have a unrooted stock DX that i got a couple weeks ago. I discovered I can tether to my macbook and my Windows 7 desktop using blue tooth without any apps or modifications. I find it curious no one ever talks about that.

Anyway my related questions is: Can anyone confirm whether this bluetooth feature remains intact in the non rooted version of Gingerbread?

I'd like to know this too. Are we free to tether all we want over this bluetooth route? Obviously it's not as friendly as the wifi because the connecting device also needs bluetooth, but I'm curious. If it is indeed "legal" in the eyes of Verizon to do this, why don't many use that feature?

EDIT: Nevermind, after reading what I wrote, that was a dumb question. Nothing is free from Verizon, duh.

Leach19m
04-15-2011, 01:22 PM
If its not a hack, but just a native capability of the phone, I see no issues. VZW can only really call anything 'stealing' if you're using a service or capability for free that you'd otherwise have to pay for. If they dont offer a bluetooth tether service, then you aren't stealing it.

As they used to say in the army, if you haven't been told you can't, then you can. At least until you're told you can't.

mikeinrichmond
04-15-2011, 01:59 PM
If you are concerned, just call VZW and ask. I'll bet the answer is that they want you to buy a tethering plan for any kind of tethering activity.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kradebaugh
04-15-2011, 03:36 PM
The old patch works Im using it now on the new leak to write this post just apply the old patch search TBH_DX_Tether_Patch_1.0.zip make sure and download the unpatch file too if you decide to take it off. Get at me Verizon give me another reason to switch carriers lol. My phone, my unlimited data, Ill use it as I wish!

Your on the. 588 leak and the patch worked for you?

Backnblack
04-15-2011, 03:46 PM
That's lame. What if I don't care if vzw catches me :( lol

Made of Money I guess....

mikep0303
04-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Ya im on the. .588 leak. I haven't tried wireless tether only usb. ill try wireless later today. Should work tho because its the same program.

WillMiii
04-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Just thought I would give the heads up. I downloaded root wifi tether and the tbh tethering patch. I was able to connect my wifes ipod. It started up the 3g hotspot app but when I clicked to configure it, it stated an error which didn't allow it to connect. Prior to I was forwarded to a Verizon website to pay for tethering. Thought I would give the heads up that you can use the patch on rooted gb to wifi tether.

Gingerbread: not just a x-mas treat!

Scrapy McSlappy
04-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Your on the. 588 leak and the patch worked for you?

It is working for me. .588 with tbh dx tether patch.

Still pops up tether or hotpot active but let's me connect wireless and gives no errors.

I am using wireless tether. Connected my ipod browsed the net. Checked email. All is working fine.

kradebaugh
04-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys. The patch works for me just fine as well after going to .588

InsomNiaC
04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
could you break down for me how you got it to work, i installed the patch and it would only get to the verizon page. Now my phone isnt broadcasting the SSID anymore. im going to retry it later, but i just wanted to see if maybe i did something wrong.

kradebaugh
04-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Not sure if it matters but my set up is .588 deodexed. Just flashed the patch it clockwork. And I use the built in 3G hotspot.

WillMiii
04-18-2011, 03:26 PM
I downloaded wifi_tether_v3_0-pre9.apk. After installing the patch from clockmod through zip I rebooted the phone. I clicked on the wifi app and it opened the 3g hotspot automatically in the status bar. I clicked on 3g hotspot from status bar to configure settings. Once that opened I made sure nothing was checked off. I backed out the hotspot app and it went straight to wifi tethering app and that was all. I changed device-profile in wifi app settings to "Motorola DroidX (CDMA). Setup method is already set to auto. I enabled wifi-encryption. My ssid name contains no spaces, and left every other setting as it was originally. Hope this helps you. Just so you know I am running leaked GB 588 rooted, thats all.

Will4958
04-18-2011, 09:13 PM
I've noticed a somewhat annoying issue when using wifi tether on my X. It seems that whenever I use it, some of my apps loose their data connection. Has anyone else come across this, and if so, were you able to fix the issue? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

havensed
04-18-2011, 09:27 PM
have noticed the same isues , but cycling the airplane mode on and off usually fixes it. I am running the first leaked gb and i like it too much to change...i too have the 3g hotspot app and the wireless tether app start together but i just ignore the 3g hotspot app. can tether with no issues or drops.