PDA

View Full Version : Why I Despise This Forum

Abe21599
04-11-2011, 09:47 PM
seriously, I hate you guys :big smile:

Ill start by saying droidforums was my first forum experience, circa November 2009, in the D1 era. It took me a heck of a time to figure out how to quote people and find my other posts lol but I was always getting responses to my questions, no matter how obvious or repetitive. Now, look where I am. Part of the RS and an SMOD here on this forum. You guys helped me get where I am now. I've made a few friends (and probably some enemies) along the way, but you guys have been there to help newbies when I wasn't available.

Now, to the thread. and why i hate this forum :excited:

most of you probably dont know, but im in my 3rd year for AAE (aerospace engineering) and this quarter, were doing CFD (computational fluid dynamics (computer simulated flow patterns)). We have been using some new software, which is extremely complicated BTW, and i ran into a snag along the design process. So i found a CFD forum, posted my problem (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/87005-fluent-bcs-2-phase-air-water-system.html), and waited. and waited and waited and waited. Three days pass. Then i realized I wasnt on DF or DxF where u get responses in 5 min or less. It was a disappointment to say the least but it made me realize how awesome you guys are here on DxF. The members on here are so active, it's hard to go to some other forum and try to get responses as quickly as on here.

Seriously, pat yourselves on the back. Right now.

Side note: if anyone DOES know FLUENT/ANSYS, feel free to help a friend out :big smile:

1KDS
04-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I can't help you out but I know exactly what you mean. The members of this forum are so quick to respond and politely help out their fellow member, truly an outstanding group here!

Abe21599
04-11-2011, 09:54 PM
and u just proved my point! 5 min! lol

Dustin0308
04-11-2011, 09:55 PM
+1 to both

LiBeRtY TWOpointZEROpointONE

scottpole
04-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Totally agree! I knew when I read the title it had to be a positive hate lol. I've never been part of such an active forum.

:P Tasty Frozen Yogurt

mikeinrichmond
04-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Abe, here's the info you need:

http://article.nuclear.or.kr/jknsfile/v37/JK0370595.pdf

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Thats what the program is called?

Nice title by the way, I took the bait. Way to set an example regarding relevant title.. lol.

I have a freind use does 3D animation in Maya and used some crazy fluid dynamics simulator program to do some cool stuff..

I forget what the program was called...

{{ WugFresh }}

mikeinrichmond
04-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Ok, just kidding, that's what Google pointed me to. I'm a Physical Therapist and have no idea what that says...LOL....

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Just a guess... air should be velocity output.

{{ WugFresh }}

jesscepticon
04-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I partially agree. More complex problems get quick responses, something supposedly simple gets either an " ugh well its so easy, this is how you do it" (rude!) or no response at all. Sometimes I get great help, and those times have out weighed the negatives. I just dislike the lack of help on smaller problems. . e.g "I bricked my phone" vs. "I cant get this to work" The first one will get the response.
Or maybe I just post dumb stuff.
whichever way.

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Wait. I take that back. That was stupid. Define the outlet as inflow. And then define the rest as velocity components based on the direction the vector is pointing in, in relation to the outlet.

{{ WugFresh }}

Abe21599
04-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Abe, here's the info you need:

http://article.nuclear.or.kr/jknsfile/v37/JK0370595.pdf

lol nice use of google

Thats what the program is called?

Nice title by the way, I took the bait. Way to set an example regarding relevant title.. lol.

I have a freind use does 3D animation in Maya and used some crazy fluid dynamics simulator program to do some cool stuff..

I forget what the program was called...

{{ WugFresh }}

yea its FLUENT, which was acquired by ANSYS. and the air needs to be an input bc its inputting to the control volume

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Ok.

Inflow
Air input
Water output

{{ WugFresh }}

Abe21599
04-11-2011, 10:09 PM
i think the problem now is just some of the variables and components in the properties of each. since its a mixture, i have to define properties for mixture, air, and water and thats what is confusing.

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 10:09 PM
I am kinda making things up. I never used that program, and only have a surface layer understanding of fluid dynamics based on my own reading.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 10:11 PM
i think the problem now is just some of the variables and components in the properties of each. since its a mixture, i have to define properties for mixture, air, and water and thats what is confusing.

Don't you have to use maxwells equations and relate them to pressure and volume?

{{ WugFresh }}

Abe21599
04-11-2011, 10:11 PM
yea i figured lol i mean ive taken the class but its just the software thats giving me problems. like i get solutions but bc i took the class i know the numbers arent right. frustrating...

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Screenshots of where you define all your parameters plz.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Isn't this all related to the tubes diameter, the pressure it exerts on the inside of the tube, and then you do some calc to get a vector which defines its velocity?

{{ WugFresh }}

Abe21599
04-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Screenshots of where you define all your parameters plz.

{{ WugFresh }}

lol its like 20 diff screens and the software is only on the campus computers. its only a few weeks in so we have some time to play around with it, im just impatient :D appreciate the effort though

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Any constants? Resistivity constants? Or like some proportionality constants relating to density?

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
I have to go to lab now to use Xpert High Score plus for XRD analysis... fun times... lol

{{ WugFresh }}

Abe21599
04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
yea theres a few but i cant remember off the top of my head. gimme til later in the week and ill get some screenshots up if u wanna see

maybish
04-11-2011, 10:22 PM
i really enjoy this forum...even though i havent been on in a while!! haha, love the friends ive made too!!

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 10:23 PM
No doubt. Just trying to help ;)
Definitely throw up some screenshots when you get around to it, and I will see if I can determine the problem...

No fun though! You acted like this problem was right now!

{{ WugFresh }}

psychotic_penguin
04-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Nothing but pure hate throughout the forum, huh Abe? I saw the title and wondered what you were complaining about?

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 10:31 PM
He baited with the title, had a unique question.. but no opportunity to solve it.

:Multiple sad faces:

{{ WugFresh }}

hillmom
04-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Ditto, well except for the complicated career choice and the achievements in the Droid community!

The people here are awesome! I've been a member for less than a week (though I've browsed for almost a month), my question always get answered in such a nice way, even when they are stupid.

Sent from my rooted Droid X, running Liberty 2.0.1!

Abe21599
04-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Nothing but pure hate throughout the forum, huh Abe? I saw the title and wondered what you were complaining about?

lol you should ask Jim or jstafford for some of the PM titles ive been using recently lmao

He baited with the title, had a unique question.. but no opportunity to solve it.

:Multiple sad faces:

{{ WugFresh }}

my titles are thee best. but no, its not immediate. i just was mad they didnt respond :(

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Wow.. sorry.. I just realized that I skipped over all the warm feely stuff. I am such a nerd. I was just like.. huh.. oh fluid dynamics.. variables... hmmm...

Sorry.. they turned me into a machine.

I am happy to be apart of DXF too, and thankful to all those who brought me up to speed.

{{ WugFresh }}

Getsome122
04-11-2011, 10:42 PM
I partially agree. More complex problems get quick responses, something supposedly simple gets either an " ugh well its so easy, this is how you do it" (rude!) or no response at all. Sometimes I get great help, and those times have out weighed the negatives. I just dislike the lack of help on smaller problems. . e.g "I bricked my phone" vs. "I cant get this to work" The first one will get the response.
Or maybe I just post dumb stuff.
whichever way.

I didn't know the difference between a Droid X and an Evi back in November. Trolled for a while and read and read and read for days to learn everything I wanted to know before I started playin around.

And this stuff has become an addiction. Thanks to the people on here. I have learned alot and even gotten to pass on some stuff. Love it

And yes jesscepticon from time to time people do get a not so positive response. Usually you can chaulk that up to the same thing being posted a dozen times in a day or something of that nature.

Sometimes I don't understand why people don't look before they post. And then there are the ones who really should go back to a normal phone. With a rotary dial plugged into the wall at their home. Lol

But it all seriousness this forum is great with tons of great people and a world of knowledge and talent....

Hoping a bunch of these people hump ship to the bionic when it comes out so the good company remains the same.

DX- rooted, overclocked, unthrottled, and running whatever ROM i felt like for today.
Twitter: Getsome_122

WugFresh
04-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Before I saw Droid-xers thread on ninja morph, I didn't even know that the apk's were made up of xml and pngs. If I never saw that, I would have never built wugport. This forum brought me from newb, to semi dev. Lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

lynneddington
04-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Abe, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i think you will have to sbf. And i agree whole heartedly, I "despise" this forum. HA HA HA HA HA

seriously, I hate you guys :big smile:

Ill start by saying droidforums was my first forum experience, circa November 2009, in the D1 era. It took me a heck of a time to figure out how to quote people and find my other posts lol but I was always getting responses to my questions, no matter how obvious or repetitive. Now, look where I am. Part of the RS and an SMOD here on this forum. You guys helped me get where I am now. I've made a few friends (and probably some enemies) along the way, but you guys have been there to help newbies when I wasn't available.

Now, to the thread. and why i hate this forum :excited:

most of you probably dont know, but im in my 3rd year for AAE (aerospace engineering) and this quarter, were doing CFD (computational fluid dynamics (computer simulated flow patterns)). We have been using some new software, which is extremely complicated BTW, and i ran into a snag along the design process. So i found a CFD forum, posted my problem (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/87005-fluent-bcs-2-phase-air-water-system.html), and waited. and waited and waited and waited. Three days pass. Then i realized I wasnt on DF or DxF where u get responses in 5 min or less. It was a disappointment to say the least but it made me realize how awesome you guys are here on DxF. The members on here are so active, it's hard to go to some other forum and try to get responses as quickly as on here.

Seriously, pat yourselves on the back. Right now.

Side note: if anyone DOES know FLUENT/ANSYS, feel free to help a friend out :big smile:

jesscepticon
04-12-2011, 02:44 AM
I didn't know the difference between a Droid X and an Evi back in November. Trolled for a while and read and read and read for days to learn everything I wanted to know before I started playin around.

And this stuff has become an addiction. Thanks to the people on here. I have learned alot and even gotten to pass on some stuff. Love it

And yes jesscepticon from time to time people do get a not so positive response. Usually you can chaulk that up to the same thing being posted a dozen times in a day or something of that nature.

Sometimes I don't understand why people don't look before they post. And then there are the ones who really should go back to a normal phone. With a rotary dial plugged into the wall at their home. Lol

But it all seriousness this forum is great with tons of great people and a world of knowledge and talent....

Hoping a bunch of these people hump ship to the bionic when it comes out so the good company remains the same.

DX- rooted, overclocked, unthrottled, and running whatever ROM i felt like for today.
Twitter: Getsome_122

You know, the way I see it is obviously very different from others, we're all here to either seek help or give help, there's no need for a ridiculous superior attitude. There are a few great people who have helped me, and in return I've promptly thanked them. If its that big of a deal that people don't always read every last thread, or are seeking a different answer then I suggest not answering rather than being rude.
I guess I just have a different set of manners. .
Also, some of us are just trying to learn, we're not all automatically equipped with your knowledge. I wouldn't say just get a new phone.

Getsome122
04-12-2011, 03:35 AM
You know, the way I see it is obviously very different from others, we're all here to either seek help or give help, there's no need for a ridiculous superior attitude. There are a few great people who have helped me, and in return I've promptly thanked them. If its that big of a deal that people don't always read every last thread, or are seeking a different answer then I suggest not answering rather than being rude.
I guess I just have a different set of manners. .
Also, some of us are just trying to learn, we're not all automatically equipped with your knowledge. I wouldn't say just get a new phone.

I think you took that waaaaay too seriously..... and didnt quite get the point of what I said. But ok...

smalltowngirl13
04-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Abe, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i think you will have to sbf. And i agree whole heartedly, I "despise" this forum. HA HA HA HA HA

In reading thru the whole thread - this might be the best solution for the issue at hand if I understood what exactly Abe was needed :big smile:...LOLOL...

As it has been mentioned, this is a truly great forum! We have a wonderful community - very happy to be a part of it...

Abe21599
04-12-2011, 07:04 AM
i dont think the IT guys would appreciate that if i did it on one of their computers :D but hey, its worth a shot lol

The persuader
04-12-2011, 07:38 AM
This Forum is Incredibly knowledgeable...my experiences with ALL TECH....Awesome...

I didn't know Jack **** before I joined this Forum

Its Bubba

Droid-Xer
04-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Everyone get in close...group hug time! Abe, hands to yourself!

The persuader
04-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Hey Abe

SBF....
I've done Six of them...im going to feel your pain...Not....kidding

Now, as far as Group Hugs DXer is suggesting...In upper Northern Maine Group Hugs are common...how do you think i got the name Bubba....

SBFing will be the least amount of pain you'll ever experience...of course thats SBFing your Phone back to Stock...

Group Hugs in Maine could be an Eye Opener and a Story for another day... hahaha

Now the SBFing...you'll be practicing those adjextives to the tenth power..Youll be using those adjectives more times then a Barn Door Slaming in a Wind Storm...Yup...no doubt...

NOW Come to Maine real soon...we love Group Newcombers... yuppie we may have a keeper

DXer...lets get Before & After pictures...

Its Bubba

Johnny V
04-12-2011, 01:15 PM
In the few days I've been a member here, I already notice that it's a different ballgame.

I'm used to automotive forums, where GOD FORBID you ask a question that was asked once 5 years ago. I had to maneuver those forums with my flamesuit on at all times. Even now, I see some of the questions posted on here and I cringe...waiting for someone to yell SEARCH. But that response rarely comes, and it's a breath of fresh air.

Kudos to you all, from someone that has been on more forums than I can remember. :wink:

macpro88
04-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Tis also why I hate this community :D too active, too friendly, too helpful, man, it just sucks my life away from everything else :D good thing I enjoy it! :D

This place rocks, I am right with you Abe, this IS my FIRST forum experience EVER! And its rocking my socks off, and I am scared to go anywhere else :D