PDA

View Full Version : OTA Gingerbread

melfunn
04-07-2011, 08:12 PM
I rooted using Z4, downloaded and ran Bootstrapper and Titanium Pro. I made a backup of stock system and apps. I was going to load rom apex 1.4.1. but decided to wait for OTA Gingerbread. So...I uninstalled Bootstrapper & Titanium. I then unrooted. When I do a system reboot(power & home button) my droid still boots into clockwork. My question is, will this be a problem when I upgrade to OTA Gingerbread?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Droid-Xer
04-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Yes. You need to reroot and use TErminal Emulator or Root Explorer to remove clockwork. Follow post 2 http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/13485-how-use-droid-x-bootstrap.html

melfunn
04-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Worked perfectly. Thanx

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Droid-Xer
04-07-2011, 08:55 PM
No prob

Wulf
04-07-2011, 10:22 PM
I just wanted to make sure about something, we could sbf the phone to get back to stock so we can receive the OTA without problems right?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Smittys
04-07-2011, 10:29 PM
I just wanted to make sure about something, we could sbf the phone to get back to stock so we can receive the OTA without problems right?

yessir you can :)

Sent from my stock 2.2 Frozen Yogurt DrOiD X

Wulf
04-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Alright, Then ginger away till the OTA!!

Kennster213
04-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Must I uninstall ( Z4root , Droid X boostrap, Droid 2 boostrap ) or simply SBF flash my device in order to return to the stock Froyo 2.2?

lynneddington
04-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Sbf will do it. Thats what I will do if/when ota gb is rooted.

Androidz
04-11-2011, 03:53 PM
If you run the current GB Leak can you update to OTA right from "About Phone > Updates" or do you have to DL and Flash the OTA release?

mikeinrichmond
04-11-2011, 04:00 PM
We won't know until it starts rolling out if being on the leak will affect being able to update or not...We will let everyone know when it hits... :)

AirJordan
04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm waiting for the OTA release before I make the permanent switch to GB. I've installed the GB SBF twice and both times it has caused my phone a lot of issues and made it choppy and slow, so I am done messing with it for now. Liberty 2.0.1 satisfies my needs at the moment. :)

RudyN
04-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I will also wait until OTA GB is released

macpro88
04-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I will also wait until OTA GB is released

Might not be a root for it though.... unless you don't care about that stuff :D

Rlarson_mn
04-11-2011, 10:35 PM
That's what's so great about these forums. The people here are great to talk to, have a depth of knowledge on what they are talking about, are willing to share their knowledge and treat those members less capable with great care. It's always a please to come here and interact with OPs, members and visitors. A great place to come for Droid X issues.

macpro88
04-12-2011, 08:37 AM
That's what's so great about these forums. The people here are great to talk to, have a depth of knowledge on what they are talking about, are willing to share their knowledge and treat those members less capable with great care. It's always a please to come here and interact with OPs, members and visitors. A great place to come for Droid X issues.

I feel the same way :D this place is great, glad you joined us :) and we are always glad to give help in return :)

Killjoy
04-12-2011, 08:43 AM
So a few questions: SBF means what? Also, if you want full control, you root, but the concern is that if you OTA into Gingerbread, you may not have a root ability? Is that correct? And if you root into Gingerbread, does that eliminate or protect yourself against OTA?

Thank you, I'm sorry if my questions seem stupid. I feel like I have this kick ass device in my hand but I'm not doing much with it. I do love it thought.

macpro88
04-12-2011, 08:47 AM
So a few questions: SBF means what? Also, if you want full control, you root, but the concern is that if you OTA into Gingerbread, you may not have a root ability? Is that correct? And if you root into Gingerbread, does that eliminate or protect yourself against OTA?

Thank you, I'm sorry if my questions seem stupid. I feel like I have this kick butt device in my hand but I'm not doing much with it. I do love it thought.

SBF is a process of re-flashing the original Firmware that your phone came with out of the box, it takes you back to factory fresh out of the box clean. That way, you can take OTA updates. The concern is that GB has yet to be rooted POST installation, so if you take the OTA of GB, you might not ever get root access. If you are already on rooted GB, you will not get the update to install.

jerofld
04-12-2011, 03:47 PM
So...if we take OTA...what's to stop us from SBF'ing back to .340 and reinstalling leaked and rooted GB? Anything?

macpro88
04-12-2011, 03:51 PM
So...if we take OTA...what's to stop us from SBF'ing back to .340 and reinstalling leaked and rooted GB? Anything?

an updated bootloader would stop us.... but we are discussing the OTA right now here: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/23666-anyone-get-ota-4-5-588-a.html

mikeinrichmond
04-12-2011, 04:45 PM

The bootloader has NOT changed, I've confirmed it's still 30.04, so you can SBF back to Froyo if you want...

jerofld
04-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks!

Having a back out option is always nice.