PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Plans to Discontinue 1-year Contracts Effective April 17

Garemlin
04-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Image (http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/verizon-1-year-contracts.png)

The bad news seems to be pouring in from all angles these days, doesn’t it? According to the above document, Verizon will remove the option for customers to sign 1-year contracts effective April 17th. Why on Earth would they do such a thing? Well, because very few customers seem to ever choose 1-year deals, but more importantly, this will “streamline” the contract process and help reduce customer confusion.

It’s always nice of Verizon to help us decide what we want by removing choices. Like when they eliminated 1-year upgrades and the NE2 program, cut out rebates, and tightened up warranty replacement rules, they were surely thinking of us, right? My life feels super streamlined these days; thank you Big Red.

This will not affect those that are currently on a 1-year contract until their contract runs out. From there, you will have the choice of a 2-year contract or a month-to-month.

Source: Droid Life (http://www.droid-life.com/)

Getsome122
04-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I think all my future phones I am going to buy outright anyway an not sign a new contract. Makes it easy for me to drop and walk if I feel like it.

DX- rooted, overclocked, unthrottled, and running whatever ROM i felt like for today.

JeepDroid
04-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Are all these plans and changes affecting all carriers or is Verizon just in a position to mess with people? Some of the things they do makes them look arrogant and ungrateful for our business. A lot of big companies need a reality check. Sorry for the rant.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

tech_head
04-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Most folks didn't chose one year contract because you had annual upgrades.
They have eliminated annual upgrades. So the other option would have been now to move to single year contracts. Oops, now that option is gone.

Looks like I'll be jumping ship. If I can't get annual upgrades or singe year contracts, I'll not be buying any additional Verizon phone or lines and will probably move to Sprint.

CaucasianAsian
04-18-2011, 12:53 AM
With the rate that phones get made a 1 year contract is the perfect plan for me. So when mine ends in December it looks like I will have to find a new home. :(

mbl
04-23-2011, 04:49 PM
I think all my future phones I am going to buy outright anyway an not sign a new contract. Makes it easy for me to drop and walk if I feel like it.

Must be nice to have that much money to buy a 600.00 phone. Especially when they come out with new ones every 5 or 6 months.