PDA

View Full Version : Found Case For Extended Battery

RGChuck
04-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Don't know if this is old news, but I just ordered one of these, and I intend to modify it to mate up with the Otterbox Defender belt clip.

Here's the link to the ebay listing. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130493403448&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1142)

Anyone else using this?

RGChuck
04-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Actually, after looking at the Defender case, it's hard to say... does anyone make a hard holster that clips in from the front? Wonder how thick this thing is...

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

bill12690
04-07-2011, 05:18 PM
I thought the defender case worked for the extended battery... I know someone using both

noXcuse
04-07-2011, 06:50 PM
I thought the defender case worked for the extended battery...

Was just getting ready to mention that myself.

RGChuck
04-08-2011, 01:25 AM
Well, in every thread I read about the Defender case working for the extended battery is a horror story about how it places pressure against the LCD and creates distortion on the image. Liquid crystal displays are sensitive and this phone doesn't have a warranty... risk vs. reward for me anyway tells me to find a case made for the extended battery. To each his own.

BenBrown
04-08-2011, 07:15 PM
I've been using the Kraken case successfully for months now with the extended battery. I just don't put the battery door on. The battery has never fallen out and I have absolutely no ill effects!

TurboSE
06-18-2011, 01:47 PM
I've read elsewhere that the the Otterbox Impact works with the extended battery...plan on getting one as soon as I get the battery.

glshub
06-19-2011, 09:17 AM
This type thread is always confusing. There are more tban one "extended battery" there is the OEM, which is so close to the original that some if not most of the cases will fit. Then there is the big extended battery. Like the one gorilla gear sells. (I have one of these monsters and it at least makes my X last 4 times longer) the gorilla gear battery is listed at 3500 mah. The other so called extended (OEM) are only like 15% more output than original making them almost the originals size.With all this said... the ONLY case I have found after hrs and hrs of searching is the one sold on ebay that was lsted above. You will not be able to use any of the other cases with the 3500mah batteries. I may buy one of the ones on ebay but have ordere the Dickies brand case from amazon and am waiting on it to see if it will accept the X with this 3500. Then if it will and I think iit will accept the X with 3500 plus case Ill order it. That would surprise me but stranger things have happened.Trust me. I have searched EVERYWHERE for a protective case (otterbox defender type) that will accept the big extended battery and there are none.Again. When people say they can make this and that case work with the X anld extended battery they are not talking about the 3500. It is near 1/2" thicker (3500) vs a cpl mm thicker (OEM)Hope this clears the air about tbe topic.

fezrock
06-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Glshub makes a good point about confusion. It would be beneficial to readers old and newb to specify a brand and mAh when discussing batteries. Even better are model #s, dimensions, product links, etc.

Good thread to resurrect, Turbo!

:)

glshub
06-19-2011, 03:36 PM
just ordered one of these..

Custom Case for Motorola Droid X extended battery/door | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Case-Motorola-Droid-X-extended-battery-door-/130493403448?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item1e62035138)

the only one I can find that will fit the 3500 mAh battery and door.
"
I just don't see the point in spending what they want for the OEM "extended battery" it;s only like 15% more battery.

The tradeoff is the case[s].

If anyone else sees a "rough service" case that will fit the Motorola Droid X 3500 mAh extended life battery (http://gorillagadgets.com/droid-x-extended-life-battery-3500-mah-with-back-plate.html) battery please email me.

I'll let you all know what this one is like..

thanks

CrimsonTide
07-04-2011, 02:15 AM
What was the case like? I just ordered it

may0799
07-04-2011, 02:29 AM
I know several people that use the 3500 mah extended battery with the otterbox defender. It does require a little modification. You have to dremel a hole in the hard case to allow the battery to fit through, but when the silicon cover is installed you cant see the hole or the larger battery.

CrimsonTide
07-05-2011, 09:59 PM
I got the case that glshub posted a link to. It's pretty nice. It's a little loose on the sides and the volume buttons are a little hard to get to but all in all for $15 its a good deal. It's a rubber case but has a nice feel to it.

glshub
07-18-2011, 09:01 AM
I have had my case about a month now. I honestly thought, the way it fit, it would become loose after a while. It hasn't. I have to take ut off every time I do a battery pull, which is the only way to completely charge the 3500 battery. It still fits tight and is holding up well.

I would like to have a thicker case that provides more damage control for people like me that have fumble fingers.

I would go with the otterbox if it would fit my battery. Maybe someday there will be a case that meets my needs. The 3500s are here to stay and surely someone will make one.

Sent from my Milestone X using Droid X Forums