PDA

View Full Version : Noob help from stock to Gingerbead

jakecrunk
04-07-2011, 01:12 AM
I am completely oblivious to any and all directions when it comes from making my stock droid x with the 2.2 os go to the gingerbread. I have read some of the posts on here but there are alot of abbreviations that I don't know what they stand for. If someone could please give me a very descriptive way in simple terminology of how to go from stock to gingerbread on my droid x. I would appreciate it. I would like to do this all from my phone without the use of a computer if possible. And when I do this, will it delete my music/pictures/videos etc? Please help =[

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

scottpole
04-07-2011, 06:13 AM
Alright. First don't feel overwhelmed as this is a very straightforward process that can be done on the phone. Here are some things you need to consider first. Please read the entire post before doing anything.

1. Once on gingerbread. If you have to flash back to 2.2 you will have to sbf your phone to get gingerbread again.
2. Make sure you read all the directions I will post for you thoroughly and do every step as illustrated.

Ok lets begin. Its good your on stock 2.2 this takes most of the work out.

1. You need to be rooted. Go here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/13259-z4root-download-links-get-your-root-here.html. install this app and root your phone. Simple one click.

2. Now that you have root, lets get your apps backed up. I recommend using titanium backup as it is seemless and super easy to use.
Get a backup of your apps made on here. The free version will require you to verify installing on each app once you are restoring your apps so why not grab the pro key and when you restore your apps you can just start the process and let it go. Make sure to just back up user apps don't back up system data.

3. Go here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/22346-root-android-2-3-gingerbread.html make sure to read all instructions here and grab the rooted gingerbread file.

4. Grab the md5 checker app linked in the above thread and copy the md5 that is shown in the post. Go to your pc and open the md5 checker app and paste the md5 you copied into the top box and in the bottom navigate to your gbrooted.zip file and verify. If you downloaded the gbrooted.zip on your pc place it on the sdcard of your x.

5. Now you will need Droid x bootstrapper from the market. Once obtained run the app and click bootstrap recovery then once it says success hit reboot recovery. You will now boot into clockwork recovery. Use the volume keys to navigate options and the camera key to make a selection.

6. Factory reset your device. This will remove all the apps installed on the device as well as contacts settings etc. Your contacts will be synched with your Google account and once you add this account upon reboot it will sync your contacts back. This WILL NOT delete anything on your sdcard so don't worry pictures movies music are safe.

7. Now click install zip from sdcard and navigate to your gbrooted.zip file. And install it!

8. Once its finished. Do another factory reset before you reboot your phone. This should clear up any known issues with the sync icon not going away.

9. Reboot. It will take a sec so don't be alarmed. Once your booted and past the setup wizard grab titanium backup from the marker and restore all your apps. Don't restore system data. Only user apps+data.

That pretty much sums it up. Make sure you read EVERYTHING and follow the steps shown accordingly.
If you have any questions or are unsure about anything pm me and ill be glad to further assist you.

I'll be baking gingerbread until it's time to cool off with an ice cream sandwhich :P

eric eakin
04-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Wwhat a write-up!

fezrock
04-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Nice writeup! I would add after getting titanium and bootstrapper to move them to the root of your sd card. This saves having to reload them from the market. Also that the stock browser can be crappy for downloads. If you have dl problems try dolphin mini or Firefox browsers. The files you download will be in the specific browser folder under "download".

http://www.groubal.com/motorola-lockedencrypted-bootloader-policy/ -sent via mobile forum app

eric eakin
04-07-2011, 08:10 AM
move what to the root and explain?

Esoter X
04-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Also, in order to install z4 root to your phone you need to go into your phone settings -> Applications -> Check "Unkown Sources" touch "OK". Then you will be able to install programs not obtained from the market onto your phone. May be a good idea to download "AppInstaller" or a similar program from the market to make sure you will be able to install the programs. Thought I'm not exactly sure if you need to but it helps. And just don't panic or become overwhelmed. If you are going to root your phone you have to learn the jargon. I'm a visual artist, so most of the terms didn't make any sense to me, even a lot of write ups were confusing. I found you tube to be extremely helpful in learning how to associate the jargon with actual things. Good Luck!

eric eakin
04-07-2011, 08:32 AM
haha, yeah, youtube is a good idea for the visually inclined!!!!

jakecrunk
04-07-2011, 08:46 AM
What is sbf? Andhow do I do it?

Esoter X
04-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Alright, now I've encountered a slight problem. z4root isn't working. I SBF'ed last night and was able to download the program using the AppInstaller. I still had a copy on my SD card from when I initially rooted my phone. Which was a piece of cake and had no issues then. However now I get stuck in the animation loop when I try to root my phone. First I tried permenant root to no avail. So I went back to my homescreen and ran it again this time attemptint to run temporary root and encountered the same issue... Ok after a battery pull it's working.

If z4 root gives you any problems, pull battery and try again. Guess I didn't need to post that but just in case.

jakecrunk
04-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Ok. I went to the first link. Do I need to download all of those mirrors? Or just one of them. If jus one, which one? There are a total of six.

scottpole
04-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Just one

I'll be baking gingerbread until it's time to cool off with an ice cream sandwhich :P

Esoter X
04-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Ok, now I have an actual problem. I have followed the instrucutions, the checksums matched. SBF'ed, installed z4root, rooted, Droid X recovery, cache/data wipe, install zip file....

while it's processing the "updating preinstall" i get this message:

"assert failed: package_extract_file("preinstall.img","/tmp/preinstall.img")
E:Error in /sdcard/Root/dxgbrooted.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

scottpole
04-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Hmmm. What is the file size of your gbrooted.zip? Definitely looks like a botched download.

scottpole
04-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Mines showing 175.78 MB

Esoter X
04-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Yeah that's what I have

scottpole
04-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Your system version is 2.3.340 correct?

jakecrunk
04-07-2011, 09:14 AM
And is this something I can take off the phone completely when the OTA rolls out? If something would happen to my phone, I want to make sure there is a backup plan just in case I need to exchange it at Verizon down the line. doing this voids the warranty. So I just want to make sure I can undo all of this if I choose to later at any point. I would just do a factory reset right? And the root and gingerbread and all that should be gone right

scottpole
04-07-2011, 09:17 AM
No. To remove root you and return to froyo you will need to sbf or use the 2.3.340 sbf file in zip format found in the team black hat application and flash it via clockwork. Since the TBH app has been pulled sbfing is your best bet since you have already done it

Esoter X
04-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Your system version is 2.3.340 correct?

Yes.

Crap, now it's stuck on the motorolla icon. I wiped data after the install failed and I can't even get back to stock now... fml

Esoter X
04-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I can get into Clockwork with a battery pull but that's it. When I attempt to reboot system the phone gets stuck on the Moto logo

scottpole
04-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Sbf your phone and try again.

Esoter X
04-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks, Scott. I appreciate the guidance. I guess the first SBF didn't work properly. I am now back up to speed and running Gingerbread!

jakecrunk
04-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Just one

Which one!?!?

jakecrunk
04-08-2011, 08:34 AM
No. To remove root you and return to froyo you will need to sbf or use the 2.3.340 sbf file in zip format found in the team black hat application and flash it via clockwork. Since the TBH app has been pulled sbfing is your best bet since you have already done it

Once again, what is sbf? Anyone? Someone has yet to explain what sbf stands for or how I do it. HELP!

mikeinrichmond
04-08-2011, 03:39 PM
SBF is just the name of the file extension that is used to flash the phone back to it's stock settings. So, the file will say something like VRZ2.3.340.sbf that's all it means..

Here's a SBF flashing guide:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html#post106306

and an updated version specifically for Win 7..

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/22394-sbf-detailed-guide-success-windows-7-a.html#post252492

Esoter X
04-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Once again, what is sbf? Anyone? Someone has yet to explain what sbf stands for or how I do it. HELP!

Breathe, don't freak out and READ the threads on the forum. Be resourceful and search within the forum for your answers. Google and youtube are also awesome.

Vegasmadebro
04-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Breathe, don't freak out and READ the threads on the forum. Be resourceful and search within the forum for your answers. Google and youtube are also awesome.

If someone would maybe allow me to instant message them on yahoo or something I would appreciate it. I just really need some help doing this. Thanks in advance...

scottpole
04-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Vegas you can pm me here on the forum im always checking my phone. Im glad to help.

:P Tasty Frozen Yogurt

scottpole
04-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks, Scott. I appreciate the guidance. I guess the first SBF didn't work properly. I am now back up to speed and running Gingerbread!

No problem and its good to hear your on gingerbread. It is a great rom. Im glad I could help

:P Tasty Frozen Yogurt

DX0962
04-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Lol this whole convo could be used as a indept step by step installation instruction lol no doubt anyone wanting to install ginger who reads this should be confused ...but who knows

Sent from my re-stocked DX and about to make luv with a ginger!!

jakecrunk
04-11-2011, 10:36 PM
I guess I am semiretarded then because I still can't get this to make sense Haha.

Vegasmadebro
04-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Alright. First don't feel overwhelmed as this is a very straightforward process that can be done on the phone. Here are some things you need to consider first. Please read the entire post before doing anything.

1. Once on gingerbread. If you have to flash back to 2.2 you will have to sbf your phone to get gingerbread again.
2. Make sure you read all the directions I will post for you thoroughly and do every step as illustrated.

Ok lets begin. Its good your on stock 2.2 this takes most of the work out.

1. You need to be rooted. Go here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/13259-z4root-download-links-get-your-root-here.html. install this app and root your phone. Simple one click.

2. Now that you have root, lets get your apps backed up. I recommend using titanium backup as it is seemless and super easy to use.
Get a backup of your apps made on here. The free version will require you to verify installing on each app once you are restoring your apps so why not grab the pro key and when you restore your apps you can just start the process and let it go. Make sure to just back up user apps don't back up system data.

3. Go here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/22346-root-android-2-3-gingerbread.html make sure to read all instructions here and grab the rooted gingerbread file.

4. Grab the md5 checker app linked in the above thread and copy the md5 that is shown in the post. Go to your pc and open the md5 checker app and paste the md5 you copied into the top box and in the bottom navigate to your gbrooted.zip file and verify. If you downloaded the gbrooted.zip on your pc place it on the sdcard of your x.

5. Now you will need Droid x bootstrapper from the market. Once obtained run the app and click bootstrap recovery then once it says success hit reboot recovery. You will now boot into clockwork recovery. Use the volume keys to navigate options and the camera key to make a selection.

6. Factory reset your device. This will remove all the apps installed on the device as well as contacts settings etc. Your contacts will be synched with your Google account and once you add this account upon reboot it will sync your contacts back. This WILL NOT delete anything on your sdcard so don't worry pictures movies music are safe.

7. Now click install zip from sdcard and navigate to your gbrooted.zip file. And install it!

8. Once its finished. Do another factory reset before you reboot your phone. This should clear up any known issues with the sync icon not going away.

9. Reboot. It will take a sec so don't be alarmed. Once your booted and past the setup wizard grab titanium backup from the marker and restore all your apps. Don't restore system data. Only user apps+data.

That pretty much sums it up. Make sure you read EVERYTHING and follow the steps shown accordingly.
If you have any questions or are unsure about anything pm me and ill be glad to further assist you.

You are the best! You f***ing rock! I am up and running Gingerbread! Thank you to everyone who has helped me with this! This is the best forum I have seen and you are all great help! thanks again everybody!