PDA

View Full Version : What type of case are you using to protect your droid?

Aquamadman
04-06-2011, 11:40 AM
I am using an otter box, dropped it from 20ft. and phone was in excellent condition. My only complaint is that the built in screen protector sometimes makes the touch screen a little unresponsive.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

droidosaurus_rex
04-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I use an Empire silicon case from amazon for $10, with a skinomi screen protector again from amazon for $10. I've dropped my phone once face-first on a pile of snow, and twice on its back onto concrete pavement. No scratches on either the case or the phone and it runs like a charm. I've never had any real problems with screen responsiveness with the skinomi, but there are a few tiny pockmarks on it after 5 months of use and it picks up oil from my fingers pretty good. But maybe that's a problem with my fingers not the screen protector. I'm pretty happy with the empire silicon case tho never really thought of buying a fancy one, but maybe I will in the future.

ps- 20ft is a pretty significant drop!! that otterbox must be a pretty good case

ashpdwinDX
04-06-2011, 01:09 PM
I was using the special leather wrap case from Verizon...not anymore. It was terrible. All the little clips that hold it together broke..plus after a month of using it paint started to come off in some spots and now silver shows around the edge. 11 in total. Currently been running caseless for the last month..gonna get a silicone case for it soon though.

Diesel Phreak
04-06-2011, 07:31 PM
I was running the Otterbox defender for a while, but as you said the built in screen protector got very annoying and i got sick of the bulkyness of it. ATM im running a $5 snapon case i got on ebay, just ordered this though Amazon.com: Qmadix Gel for Motorola MB810 DROID X Flex (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VWLKGC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

tgyberg
04-06-2011, 07:44 PM
I use the Incipio. Really nice case! Feels great in the hand and has just the right amount of grip so it wont slide out of the pocket.

tmoney51691
04-06-2011, 08:02 PM
I was running the Otterbox defender for a while, but as you said the built in screen protector got very annoying and i got sick of the bulkyness of it. ATM im running a $5 snapon case i got on ebay, just ordered this though Amazon.com: Qmadix Gel for Motorola MB810 DROID X Flex (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VWLKGC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

Good choice on the Qmadix Gel. I've had mine since I got my phone in January and love it! It stays on the phone well. I've dropped my phone on a couple of occasions and it definitely seems to absorb the shock and impact well.

mx750
04-06-2011, 08:28 PM
I bought this case from verizon yesterday, It alright But it makes the delete button and A letter on keyboard hard to push but other than that is looks awesome. Verizon wanted 59.99 for this case i said ill pass i saw it on ebay for 20 and they sold it to me for 20 +tax
Trident Kraken Hybrid Case for Motorola Droid X Red - eBay (item 180649441762 end time Apr-07-11 22:13:20 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Trident-Kraken-Hybrid-Case-Motorola-Droid-X-Red-/180649441762)

Garemlin
04-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Moving to accessories

Dustin0308
04-06-2011, 08:37 PM
The ' birthday suit' case ;)...i prefer my x naked. (not my ex lol).

fade2green514
04-07-2011, 09:26 PM
kind of a minimalist here... ive had big bulky cases that actually make me feel the phone in my pocket, and i decided to get a smaller cheaper one that probably doesn't offer MUCH protection. however, the only damage ive seen on the phone when i wasn't using a case were little scratches (before i sent it back for a warranty replacement cause the headphone jack was defective).

the cheap case is better looking, better feeling (less bulky) and protects it just as well. as there are no moving parts in it, the "shocks" don't really need to be absorbed or anything. the skin or case keeps the battery door from popping off, and it also prevents scratches to the phone.
this is the case i bought:
Amazon.com: Premium TPU Argyle Flexi Soft Gel Skin for Motorola Droid X, Xtreme Verizon Wireless Flexible See Thru Skin with Smoke Checkers Print: Cell Phones & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VSICYY)

RudyN
04-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Mine is an Incipio case with a Zagg screen protector. I had the Zagg first then bought the Incipio case.

liberateddroid
04-07-2011, 11:06 PM
I use the incipio innocase platinum with the optional belt clip. Rocking the zagg inviso shield and a zagg screen protecter. My phone is protected.

bulldog485
04-07-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm using the Otterbox Defender and absolutely love it. The clip is strong and secure and the bulk of the phone with the case is just right for me. Had the Bodyglove case but could not find a holster that fit it.

mopar-x
04-07-2011, 11:20 PM
When I'm at work I use a otter box defender ... on the weekends I use just the cheep $16 silicone I got from vzw when I got my x .

Sent from mopar-x from inside his gingerbread house

Diesel Phreak
04-08-2011, 09:54 PM
cool glad to hear i made a good purchase. lol

spodoc
04-08-2011, 10:39 PM
On a boat = small pelican case (1010?) or Dry Pak from West marine. Both waterproof and float

In field (work in woods and w/ dirt) = Otterbox Defender

Everywhere else = none.

No screen protector and battles keys all the time. X has no scratches.

OtivehtX
04-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I have had this case/holdster for 2 months now and i love it.
Set Your Location (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=12529&accessoryId=47437)

SandyClaws
04-19-2011, 05:40 PM
i have a Trident Kraken on my DX...its PURPLE and YELLOW...but on other days it'll be BLACK and YELLOW :]
looove it!

Snipples007
04-24-2011, 02:28 AM
The Otterbox Commuter, it does exactly what I need it to do. Not too bulky for my pockets, doesn't weigh down the phone, and protects it from minor falls and bumps. I am running around nonstop at my job, so accidents happen. R.I.P LG Voyager.

Slappy
05-01-2011, 09:13 PM
+1 Qmadix Gel

Amazon.com: Qmadix Gel for Motorola MB810 DROID X Flex (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/Qmadix-Motorola-MB810-DROID-Black/dp/B003VWLKGC)

scottpole
05-02-2011, 06:34 AM
I'm using the Otterbox Defender and absolutely love it. The clip is strong and secure and the bulk of the phone with the case is just right for me. Had the Bodyglove case but could not find a holster that fit it.

My body glove came with a holster. Im using the commuter. Light weight case with good strong material. No screen to ground contact so I feel safe with it. Also a screen protector.

:P Tasty GingerBread with a side of SuperUser

encephalon9986
05-02-2011, 07:43 AM
I bought a case and used it for a few days. I can't stand having a case on it. makes the phone too big. I bought it for the design and performance. the case takes away from the phone. I have only dropped it once and I have had it since 2 weeks after launch day. if you know how to take care of your stuff you shouldn't need a case. I know accidents happen but that's why I have insurance on the phone. I also hate screen protectors. they take away the feel of the screen and make it look weird. just my opinion.

bsbabcock
05-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Part#: MOTDRDXHOC1
Set Your Location (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=12529&accessoryId=47437)

Couldn't imagine a better case. Slim fit without adding a lot of bulk. Strong. Good holster. Good texture for a sure grip. The phone faces the holster plate for protection.

J_Bone
05-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Im using a $1 cheap rubber protector from Amazon. I cut it out to fit the new 3500 battery.

Is there a good hard case out to fit the larger extended life battery?

onlyred
05-16-2011, 08:28 AM
I've always used the body glove cases for my phones because I'm clumsy. I average at least 1 drop a week. When I first got my X, there wasn't a lot of case selection and I was certain that I needed some Fort-Knox-level phone protection. So while I researched, I bought this Amazon.com: PINK For Verizon Motorola Droid X Silicone Case Cover: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Motorola-Droid-Silicone-Cover/dp/B004AAUNE4) for $20 (!!!!) from the VZN store with the full intention of returning it when I found The Best Case Ever. Well little did I know, because in less than a week I realized it was really a very good "case" for me - this thing has been dropped, slid, skidded, dumped on, sat in the heat, the cold, and accompanied me to many a bar.

For 9 months I have had this phone and there is not so much as a pretend scratch on it. It has been worth every penny of it's $20 pricetag and then some because I really am clumsy. Every hole aligns absolutely perfectly, it's protected the camera lens I was so worried about, it grips solidly, dirt doesn't get under/in it - it's starting to show some signs of wear, but my X looks like I just took it out of the box. Not sure it would last through a 20' drop like the OP had, but then again, I'm rarely 20' off the ground lol

ArcAngL
05-16-2011, 08:53 AM
I went heavyduty and use the Seidio Innocase. Works great imo even though I never drop my phone.

liquidfluidity
05-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Went heavy duty also - Kraken. Large but I use my phone as a multimedia device so anything could happen at any time. Have a new Cyclops up for grabs if anyone is interested - PM me.

cuebask
05-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Only sailors wear condoms. I prefer to run raw. Haven't got one scratch on this X since it's release last year.

maineultraclassic
05-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Have a new Cyclops up for grabs if anyone is interested - PM me.

I just bought a Cyclops yesterday...........oh well.

Kraken is too big and Defender is just a tad too big, I'm hoping the Cyclops is just right. I like the Incipio case for it's ease of pocketing, but no screensaver is a negative.

Steve

jwalz
05-17-2011, 05:22 PM
I have the cyclops ..love it in my hand and it goes in back pocket while walking around

my liberated X with freshly baked bread