PDA

View Full Version : How can I keep my ringtones out of my music?

TheOmni
04-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Short version: I got my Droid X back in August, put some ringtones on it, never really used it to listen to mp3s, mostly just streamed Pandora. Last night I decided to throw on a few mp3s, go into Music and I have the ringtones mixed in with my music.

Long version: I added a few ringtones by simply copying them into the folder Media\Audio\Ringtones. Much later I added music. I plugged in my Droid X to my computer, clicked the "Manage media on your device" which brings up Windows Media Player, then I just dragged some music to the the sync list and hit the sync. The music shows up in the Droid X fine, but the problem is that the previously mentioned ringtones are also there. I tried searching this and other forums on how to fix such an issue and the main suggestion seems to be to add a blank text file named .nomedia to the ringtone folder. This had no apparent effect. I've tried a few other suggestions, mostly involving directories and renaming them.

So is there something I'm doing wrong or something else I could try?

Also, after writing this I realized that the notification sound I use for my email doesn't show up in my music. In fact, it doesn't show up on the SD card at all when I browse it on my computer. I know I copied it over there, but I can't recall exactly how I did that. Would be nice to be able to do that with the other ringtone/notifications.

Just edited to add that I'm not rooted.

drjimbeam
04-05-2011, 09:43 PM
If you are rooted you can move the ringtones to the system media folder instead of the sd card..

TheOmni
04-05-2011, 09:51 PM
I am not rooted

DroidToro
04-05-2011, 09:57 PM
You can use play lists. I use an app called justplaylists that is very simple but allows me to create playlists from a single folder and all subfolders.

droidx liberty 1.5 rom