PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Droid X while running

AirJordan
04-05-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm a runner and I like to listen to music while I run. I recently sold off my iPod Nano because I have my DX now, which has a lot more space for holding songs, so I figured why not. The DX is a bit large and heavier that the average mp3 player used while running, and I'm trying to find a convenient and unobtrusive way to take my phone with me and still be able to use it for music listening, not as just a dead weight. It would be nice if it was easily accessible so I could quickly switch the songs that I'm listening to while on the run. Does anyone have any experience with any types of armbands that fit the Droid X? Do you guys have any other suggestions other than using an armband that wouldn't hinder running with it too much?

I found this website that sells an armband that is specifically made to fit the Droid X:
Droid Armband :: Run & Walk with your Droid X, Droid 2 and Droid Incredible! (http://www.droidarmband.com/)

From the pictures, I can't quite tell how tight of a fit it would be inside of that casing or if the touch screen is still usable with that plastic covering the screen. It appears to be a viable option though.

If anyone has any experience with taking their DX on runs, please let me know. Thanks. :D

Leach19m
04-05-2011, 03:04 PM
I just hold mine in my hand...although that looks like a much better alternative! As far as fit goes, it looks like its a pretty snug fit for the x. I used to have an iPhone and had an armband very similar to that one for it, with the plastic cover on the screen. The screen responsed just fine tto touches...just needed to be a little more deliberate with your pokes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

jerryrp
04-05-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't have a armband for my Droid X but I did have one for my Droid Eris that was very similar. The touchscreen was still usable through the plastic, not perfect but still usable. The phone stayed secured in the arm band as long as the Velcro strap was somewhat tight. Thanks for sharing the link, I'll keep that in mind if I decide to run with my DX again, using a Garmin for now.

On another note, check out app for running "Cardio Trainer" excellent app for logging runs to include voice prompts during runs.

dennyjones
04-05-2011, 03:35 PM
I bought one of those arm bands. It will hold a bare phone secure. It's a tight fit but the phone is still functional thru the plastic. Not the best setup but again, not bad.

AirJordan
04-05-2011, 03:39 PM
How's the fit on your arm? Is it uncomfortable or cumbersome at all? I figured the phone would be a tight fit, but I suppose that could be a good thing to keep it from falling out.

MobileMe
04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm a runner and I like to listen to music while I run. I recently sold off my iPod Nano because I have my DX now, which has a lot more space for holding songs, so I figured why not. The DX is a bit large and heavier that the average mp3 player used while running, and I'm trying to find a convenient and unobtrusive way to take my phone with me and still be able to use it for music listening, not as just a dead weight. It would be nice if it was easily accessible so I could quickly switch the songs that I'm listening to while on the run. Does anyone have any experience with any types of armbands that fit the Droid X? Do you guys have any other suggestions other than using an armband that wouldn't hinder running with it too much?

I found this website that sells an armband that is specifically made to fit the Droid X:
Droid Armband :: Run & Walk with your Droid X, Droid 2 and Droid Incredible! (http://www.droidarmband.com/)

From the pictures, I can't quite tell how tight of a fit it would be inside of that casing or if the touch screen is still usable with that plastic covering the screen. It appears to be a viable option though.

If anyone has any experience with taking their DX on runs, please let me know. Thanks. :D

I purchased the two piece case and clip when I bought my X. I just clip it on the inside of my pocket while I'm running. It's thin and really doesn't get in the way. I also use a bluetooth headset to stream music while I workout. The combination works great for me.

dljdx
04-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I have the otter box defender. I listen to music while I work (I'm a welder), and the belt clip setup makes it convenient to change songs/stations. Also I recently went on a snow board trip and was able to use the belt clip to hold the phone for video recording my runs down the mntn. Worked great, slightly bumpy video though (to be expected). If you don't wear a one piece jumpsuit it would probably work well for you. Check it out.

rooted, deodexed, apex, anyone wanna buy me overclock?

wahoobie
04-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I have a waistband from Nathan that the DX just fits into. No problem with my 3-6 mile runs.

UPDATE:
Nathan Shadow Pak - found it on Amazon and have used it for several months now.
http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Shadow-Pak-Runners-Pack/dp/B002W8SDXY

Mercrae
04-13-2011, 05:39 PM
i've kind of been looking for something similar. It's starting to get into running season and i'm ready to get out there lol. I'll check a few of those out.

dennyjones
04-13-2011, 08:10 PM
How's the fit on your arm? Is it uncomfortable or cumbersome at all? I figured the phone would be a tight fit, but I suppose that could be a good thing to keep it from falling out. I use mine for rollerblading and it works pretty good. The bare phone is a tight fit and won't fall out. The arm band is very comfortable and adjustable and you can use the touch screen thru the plastic. My only complaint, it's difficult to get to the volume controls while it's on your arm. For me, it's a keeper.

sfreemanoh
04-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Sweet, this would be great for when I'm bike riding! Thanks for the post!

Lord Flatus
04-25-2011, 05:28 PM

I'm currently using this armband, and it's pretty good with a few issues.

On longer runs the phone gets wet from sweat soaking through the neoprene. You can put the phone in a sandwich baggie and then slide it into the armband. I did that a couple of times, and then I used my seal-a-meal kitchen vacuum bag thingy to make a slip-cover for the phone that's more durable. This has been working quite well to keep the phone dry. I can still use the touch controls through this bag and the armband plastic, but it is very difficult to see the screen. Not a big deal for me, really, because I just start a random play music setlist and then start up my gps app, strap it to my arm, and go without any more interaction with the phone until I'm done.

I've had problems with the music turning off and on while I'm running. The stupid Droid-X has touch-screen music player controls that for some reason are active when the screen is locked. I thought I figured out what was happening: the tight fit of the armband would press the "Home" button, bringing up the locked screen with the active and not-locked music controls. Then somehow the screen would register a press of the "Pause" button. I screwed around by putting a hair tie next to the raised buttons and that seemed to help. Now that I have the seal-a-meal sleeve I fold that forward on the bottom and it provides a little stress relief to keep the buttons from pressing while also protecting the phone from getting wet.

The armband is pretty comfortable, but you have to either strap it high or low on your arm, either above or below your bicep. (I don't have big arms or anything.) It is big, make that huge, but that's the phone and I'll look dorky in order to use the tracking apps. :) I'd love to see an armband with a split strap that fastens both above and below the bicep as I think that would be the most comfortable.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the armband. Like any neoprene band for any phone, your phone will get wet during sweaty exercise so the plastic baggy type liner is, IMHO, required. It kind of boggles my mind that there are a thousand armbands out there for a thousand kinds of phones yet they all seem to offer no sweat protection. Oh well, my liner works well and like I said, a straight-up sandwich baggie does the trick, too. Just trim the top after you insert the phone so that you don't have four inches of bagging poking out.

I've been using CardioTrainer and also RunKeeper for GPS enabled run tracking with a bluetooth heart monitor. I like them both and haven't quite decided which I like more. I like the website summaries of RunKeeper better, but CardioTrainer seems to have more workout options.

rxbot
04-29-2011, 06:45 PM
For those of you that ordered that armband from the website mentioned (www.droidarmband.com), how long did it take you to receive it? I ordered two on Monday and the only thing I have received is an email stating my credit card had been charged. There hasn't been an email updating me on the shipping/tracking number. I was starting to get worried that I got ripped off but then saw that some of you bought the same band from the same website.

Lord Flatus
04-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Don't recall exactly, but I think it was about a week. Not super fast but not real slow either.

rxbot
05-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Received the armbands - took about a week and a half. I like them a lot! The only thing is that if you are a woman with slimmer arms, you will almost run out of velcro room when wrapping the armband around your arm. I may have to buy some velcro and sew it on. Otherwise, the armband is great.

nfj79
05-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Sweet, finally a armband for the DX! Crappy thing is I'm running my DX with the VZW rubber/carbon case, and taking it in and out of the case is a PITA.

arefx
05-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Im trying to buy an armband but their paypal isnt accepting payments.. anny other alternatives out there now?

Old_Fart
05-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Im trying to buy an armband but their paypal isnt accepting payments.. anny other alternatives out there now?

Ditto for today. Makes one wonder, eh?

fade2green514
05-12-2011, 07:25 PM
i try and make a playlist before hand so i dont have to mess with it and just throw it in my pocket... i use basketball shorts though not running shorts

rxbot
05-12-2011, 08:04 PM
There is one on Amazon but it looks a bit bulkier. "Tune Belt Sport Armband"

AirJordan
05-12-2011, 08:10 PM
I have a waistband from Nathan that the DX just fits into. No problem with my 3-6 mile runs.

UPDATE:
Nathan Shadow Pak - found it on Amazon and have used it for several months now.
Amazon.com: Nathan Shadow Pak Runners Pack: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Shadow-Pak-Runners-Pack/dp/B002W8SDXY)

I think instead of getting the armband I'll go for this. It looks like it'd create less of an issue with wires bouncing around or being pulled and it seems pretty minimal.

maximaniac
05-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Amazon.com: SPIbelt - Small Personal Item Belt - Great for Runners!: Clothing (http://www.amazon.com/SPIbelt-Small-Personal-Great-Runners/dp/B0041OYM5U/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1)

Does anyone have/use this belt? It looks very similar to the Nathan Shadow Pak listed above. Most of the reviews for the SPI Belt seem very positive, but I didn't run across any that mention using the DX with it. I don't like using arm bands, even with my Ipod Nano. I just downloaded the MiCoach app from Adidas and absolutely love it. I didn't have a case to put the DX in though, so I had to run with it in my hand, which got annoying after a while.

sfreemanoh
05-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Maxi, check here: Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SPIbelt - Small Personal Item Belt - Great for Runners! (http://www.amazon.com/SPIbelt-Small-Personal-Great-Runners/product-reviews/B0041OYM5U/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R3MZY4R7HSKU3R)

arefx
05-27-2011, 02:26 AM
I got the Tune In armband off amazon, works great fits snug. Havent had issues with sweat but I havent been running ive been biking and dont sweat much out of my arms doing that untill I finish my workout and stop moving.

h0tt 5auc3
05-27-2011, 02:42 AM
I got the tune belt from amazon and absolutely love it! Works amazing and doesn't slip or anything.

jgab5
06-02-2011, 04:07 AM
Thought I'd chime in. WidgetLocker app allows you to put widgets on your lock screen. I currently have both the Pandora and music widget on my lock screen and can pretty much control them from muscle memory at this point. As soon as I saw this arm band I thought about how the combination of the two would be perfect so I thought I'd share.

Pretty much the only feature I miss from my BB was the long-press of the volume rocker to go to the next or previous track. This feature would also make running much easier. Anyone know of a way to make this happen on the DX? With root possibly?

King Wataba
06-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Pretty much the only feature I miss from my BB was the long-press of the volume rocker to go to the next or previous track. This feature would also make running much easier. Anyone know of a way to make this happen on the DX? With root possibly?

PowerAMP has this feature

Sent from my liberated GB DROIDX

blueblazer96
06-02-2011, 08:34 AM

Where is that located in the settings I haven't been able to find that at all, playerpro did that but not on poweramp unless I'm just missing it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jgab5
06-02-2011, 11:40 PM

Good to know, but I just spent the last week uploading my music library to google music. Anyone know where I can offer up the suggestion to the guys at Goog? Seems like it would be a no brainer for the music app.

Yoey
06-03-2011, 12:30 PM
thanks for the post just ordered it - will use it while im biking :excited:

shadowsjc
06-24-2011, 01:27 PM
has anyone ordered any of the armbands from amazon? i was thinking of getting this one: Amazon.com: iArmbands Sport Armband for DROID X by Motorola: Cell Phones & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/iArmbands-Sport-Armband-DROID-Motorola/dp/B004X28EXG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308939708&sr=8-2

b)ut it doesn't look as well designed as the one earlier in this thread. thanks