PDA

View Full Version : Switching to gingy from liberty

Machee
04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Hey everyone still kinda a noob on here and I don't wanna screw anything up....so just to make sure I have it clear. From what I've read all I have to do to go from liberty 1.5 To installing the gingerbread is data wipe, and then flash the gbdxroot.zip file right?? Or is there more to it

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

scottpole
04-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Since you are on a rom you will need to wipe data. Make sure you have your apps backed up I use TIBU (Titanium Backup) to batch backup and batch restore. make sure you flash gbrooted.zip and not the deodexed version via clockwork. I factory reset my phone from clockwork after I installed before I rebooted and everything went great for me no sync icon issues or market problems.

EDIT: you've got it right in your post I forgot what you said while I was typing this LOL. You should be good to go doing what you said.
Like I said after I installed gbdxroot.zip before rebooting I did another factory reset and have had zero issues.
Uploaded from my "BlurryBread" X

noXcuse
04-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Do not batch restore system apps. That will give you force closes all over the place, since it will put all the 2.2.1 system apps back on your phone. Only restore user apps. You shouldn't even need to restore with TiBu. The market reloaded all of my apps as soon as I signed into my gmail.

Sent from Gingerbread

ryant35
04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Do not batch restore system apps. That will give you force closes all over the place, since it will put all the 2.2.1 system apps back on your phone. Only restore user apps. You shouldn't even need to restore with TiBu. The market reloaded all of my apps as soon as I signed into my gmail.

Sent from Gingerbread

+1 Just go though TI and restore the apps you need one at a time.

C Dippa
04-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Getting there is easy...you've got the process right, just make sure to wipe data.

The important part is that you're okay with the process of getting back to 2.2.1...read this before making the leap, if you haven't yet:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/22454-warning-read-before-flashing-gingerbread-leak-team-black-hat.html

bsbabcock
04-05-2011, 01:35 PM
When I do it, I'm going to follow (the philosophy in) Macpro88's guide in my sig.. Flashing back to completely bone stock 340 with root as clean as can be, then gbrooted, then deodexed, and the way I'm delaying, by then probably a rom or two to choose from though I'll spend the time getting to know g-blur.

I'm sure this has been asked and in a sticky so much apologies:
If you go GB what reasons would you ever really want to go back to 340 that were "necessary"?
GB will still update OTA will it not? (if you so desired OTA).

JNEHAMA
04-05-2011, 02:40 PM
The only neccessary reasons would be a bad flash of GB, inability to live without easy tethering and to go back to get the ota once it has been rooted. Once I knew I was stable on GB I got rid of my 2.3.340 nandroids. The only file I kept was the monster zip which can be used to get back to 2.3. 340 in an emergency. The better way is to sbf.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

zoe
04-05-2011, 03:20 PM
if you go to the gbrooted you will not get the ota.
in addition to wiping data, wipe cache as well or you can expect some issues. you don't need to sbf before going to gbrooted from a rom on 2.2, but wiping every eing you can will ensure you avoid as many possible issues
I did exactly as I suggested going from liberty to gb, and since the firmware is being overwritten you'll be ok... just make sure you have good backups before doing this, and don't restore system apps as they are based on 2.2 you'll get god knows what problems

if you don't like gb, then you will need to sbf back to 2.2, you can't unwrite the firmware with the backups you made, they can only be applied to the 2.2 environment

good luck and enjoy gb

no sig today, heading to rubix on gb

TideFan22
04-05-2011, 04:21 PM
I came from liberty, and I just wiped everything twice, including dalvik and not one single problem and I also did a factory reset after the flash

Kornshukka