PDA

View Full Version : 32gb SD card causing system hangs

anomaly
04-05-2011, 07:22 AM
so i got a 32Gb microSD card for Christmas. that very day i moved my data over from the stock 16Gb to my new 32Gb. everything was fine. and everything has remained just fine until last night when i put a ton of music on my card (with 2.5Gb free space left).

now i am experiencing system hangs to the point of battery pulls, if im lucky just a force close here and there. but basically my phone is unusable... it gets very hot just sitting there as if i was playing a game or somthing

so i did some reading and it seems some android users had issues with 32Gb cards as well and after going back to there 16Gb all was fine.

so, i deleted a bunch of music to take my free space on my 32Gb card up to 17Gb and my phone is fine again.

i had a similar issue with a Sandisc Mp3 player back in the day. it only officially supported 2Gb microSD cards but anything higher than that and the OS would just start crawling...

is this the same thing? does the droidX have issues with 32Gb? i know they are advertised to work in the DX so what gives? anyone else have a similar issue? i guess im just wondering if i should RMA my card back to Kingston or if there is no point, ill just put my 16Gb back in. :disappointed:

anomaly
04-05-2011, 07:45 AM
take it back...

i am stilll getting system hangs. just not as often and my phone is still getting hot. i would say the SD card is messed up but why would my phone get hot when thats the only thing thats changed?

moving stuff back to my 16Gb and we will see what happens.

Backnblack
04-05-2011, 08:49 AM
See if they will replace it.....

anomaly
04-05-2011, 11:17 AM
yea, ill be calling them soon. i got my 16Gb back in with the same exact data clone and my DX is fine now.

must just be a crappy SD card...

havensed
04-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Why not simply stream your from moozone, amazon cloud, etc.....

Sent from my super DC on rooted gingy. overclocked to 1250.

fezrock
04-05-2011, 11:27 AM
I got an official Vzw 32G for xmas. Works great loaded up. Get a new card & be sure to drop your music in media/music folder for best results. It'll work in other locations, but you may get false errors and have to reboot.

http://www.groubal.com/motorola-lockedencrypted-bootloader-policy/ -sent via mobile forum app

anomaly
04-05-2011, 11:59 AM
thanks for the replies.

i started a RMA ticket with Kinston. using logic and the given events im pretty sure the card just got messed up after the large data transfer.

Why not simply stream your from moozone, amazon cloud, etc.....

Sent from my super DC on rooted gingy. overclocked to 1250.

if i had a car with a flat tire would you suggest me to buy a truck? just wondering...

tech_head
04-07-2011, 01:08 PM
I have the VZW 32GB with no issues.

MICHO
04-07-2011, 01:23 PM
What class sd are you using? If it's above a class 4 there is your problem. Just a thought

Coronado is dead
04-07-2011, 08:20 PM
What class sd are you using? If it's above a class 4 there is your problem. Just a thought

Yup, this can cause it to hang.

trippap
12-03-2011, 03:27 PM

I have a class 10 32GB card and I am seeing Android hang problems on a Nook Color. You indicate above that above class 4 causes problems. Could you explain or point me to an explanation? Thanks.

cobracon71
12-03-2011, 05:05 PM
I have a class 10 32GB card and I am seeing Android hang problems on a Nook Color. You indicate above that above class 4 causes problems. Could you explain or point me to an explanation? Thanks.ye ole droid x seems to run best on class 4 sd card and thing over that you will start seeing problems such as hanging or the phone not recognizing the card or insuficiant storage space dialogs..

Snow02
12-03-2011, 05:18 PM
I have a class 10 32GB card and I am seeing Android hang problems on a Nook Color. You indicate above that above class 4 causes problems. Could you explain or point me to an explanation? Thanks.

My best guess has been that the media scanner causes the hangs. Scanning the sd card is a very random read operation, and class 10 cards have horrible random read/write performance.

The hanging due to class 10 cards has been posted on by several people and experienced by me personally.

trippap
12-04-2011, 02:44 PM
My best guess has been that the media scanner causes the hangs. Scanning the sd card is a very random read operation, and class 10 cards have horrible random read/write performance.

The hanging due to class 10 cards has been posted on by several people and experienced by me personally.

Sounds like a very good guess. I've had other issues with the media scanner. I'll put my class 10 card on the shelf and use class 4 instead. Have you heard anything about what class media the Nook tablet likes? I'm going to purchase one and I'll root it, and I'm wondering whether my 32GB class 10 card that's on the shelf will play properly with it.

Natey2
12-31-2011, 01:57 PM

One theory: higher speed rated cards draw more power, and many mobile devices can't supply the kind a power a desktop PC can, so those cards should work fine in a PC.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk