PDA

View Full Version : Gb wireless tether

jedifoamy
04-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Any time I use wireless tether I get this thing on the browser telling me to get the 20$ tethering plan and until I reboot my internet stops? ?
Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

mikeinrichmond
04-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Any time I use wireless tether I get this thing on the browser telling me to get the 20$ tethering plan and until I reboot my internet stops? ?

Yes, that is Verizon's way of asking you to pay for the Wireless Tethering capability.

nukeruss
04-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Flash the TBH wireless tether patch and all will be fine.

cruckus
04-04-2011, 09:03 PM
My Droid will cut out after awhile I was on zapx 4.1 but I dunno if that helps plus I heard that they're watching your phone using this leak as some sort of spyware to see what your have on your phone and what your doing on it. Not sure how true it is but I powered my phone off and it turned itself back on after like 5-7 mins with nothing around and I heard some people were getting so IP address in Florida hacking their gmail after the gb leak.

mandog202
04-04-2011, 09:14 PM
My cable is out tonight, so I'm tethering, Thought i'd take a look at my tethering usage before I started and noted how much data I have used tethering this month. I'm using a 3rd party tether app on GB since mobile hotspot has its issues. I checked my data usage again a few minutes ago and it has in fact allotted the data I've used with the 3rd party tether app as tether, I'm not entirely sure (if someone can verify plz) but I don't think it did that on 2.2, it just allotted it under my regular unlimited data. Big Red is watching! (and I DO pay for my tethering, so it doesn't really concern me, I'm just putting this out there for those who don't)

havensed
04-04-2011, 09:25 PM
The fla. Deal is picas app. Freeze it and no more issue.

Snow02
04-04-2011, 10:00 PM
My cable is out tonight, so I'm tethering, Thought i'd take a look at my tethering usage before I started and noted how much data I have used tethering this month. I'm using a 3rd party tether app on GB since mobile hotspot has its issues. I checked my data usage again a few minutes ago and it has in fact allotted the data I've used with the 3rd party tether app as tether, I'm not entirely sure (if someone can verify plz) but I don't think it did that on 2.2, it just allotted it under my regular unlimited data. Big Red is watching! (and I DO pay for my tethering, so it doesn't really concern me, I'm just putting this out there for those who don't)

Correct. If you haven't flashed the tether patch it will now catch all tethering.

synth3tic
04-05-2011, 02:25 AM

I have a semi-off-topic question.. I'm not much of a tether user, but I like to have it around in case of emergencies, or when phone browsing will simply not suffice... I was testing out a 3rd party tether app, and the UP meter kept showing around 40kb/s, even while idling.. I don't think I ever saw this on Froyo... Does this happen to you, too? Or am I experiencing some kind of abnormal behavior?

chetqwerty
04-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Correct. If you haven't flashed the tether patch it will now catch all tethering.

Is this DEFINITELY true? No offense Snow but just trying to get absolute confirmation of this. I'm doing exactly the same thing, tethering with the app dubbed experimental that looks just like "Wireless Tether For Root" but yellow instead of green. Works great but is the patch still needed to avoid fees? Thanks

Snow02
04-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Yes. The patch changes the tethered nai string to remove the dun prefix, which is what verizon uses to determine tethered data from non.

The way the wireless tether apps work is by redirecting the ip routing in the phone to get around using the dun nai. However, in gingerbread, the system picks up on this rerouting and signals the use of the dun prefixed nai. But if you have the patch, the dun prefix isn't there so data still appears to be untethered.

So before, even if you were paying for tethering, using wireless tether apps would not count against your tethered allotment. On gingerbread that is not the case - unless you use the patch.

Make sense?

bcherry
04-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Should read this if you havent already.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-general-discussion/23257-p3droid-tethering-hack-warning-get-off-now.html

chetqwerty
04-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Yes. The patch changes the tethered nai string to remove the dun prefix, which is what verizon uses to determine tethered data from non.

The way the wireless tether apps work is by redirecting the ip routing in the phone to get around using the dun nai. However, in gingerbread, the system picks up on this rerouting and signals the use of the dun prefixed nai. But if you have the patch, the dun prefix isn't there so data still appears to be untethered.

So before, even if you were paying for tethering, using wireless tether apps would not count against your tethered allotment. On gingerbread that is not the case - unless you use the patch.

Make sense?

Yep it does! Thanks for the explanation. Only thing now is to see how the big patch warning scare plays out.

Detonation
04-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Just use this app:

wifi_tether_v3_0-pre9.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.0-pre9 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting (http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/detail?name=wifi_tether_v3_0-pre9.apk)

John.Borgen
04-07-2011, 08:00 PM

Does this patch elinate the ability of Big V to track your tethered usage? Meaning that this "scare" that P3Droid is tweating about is just that, a scare.

Ginger'd (rooted and deodexed)

chetqwerty
04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Just use this app:

wifi_tether_v3_0-pre9.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.0-pre9 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting (http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/detail?name=wifi_tether_v3_0-pre9.apk)

I am using that app, but whats that have to do with the patch and verizon tracking usage? Snow sounded pretty knowledgeable in that it doesn't matter what app you use it can still be tracked (if you believe the hoopla)

Snow02
04-07-2011, 10:49 PM
If you use the patch they can't track it. If you're using a ton of data, they may look into it, and then discover you're tethering. But you'd have to be burning through quite a bit to warrant individual attention I imagine.

If you're not a heavy data user and rarely tether, you'll be fine.

paboater76
04-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Snow, I'm on liberty 2.0.1 now b/c of the tether scare on GB. I ran the unpatcher from TBH while on liberty. but I'm still using wireless thether from the market. Should I put the patch back on to mask that I'm tethering?

Snow02
04-07-2011, 11:30 PM
You only need the patch if you're on gb or you're using the stock 3G hotspot app.

rgpie75
04-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Do you have to do anything special to get this 3G patch to install? I've tried a couple of times by finding the file in the TBH folder, opening the app browser and clicking install and I just get a message that says "App not installed"

OldFireball
04-14-2011, 03:55 PM
If you use the patch they can't track it. If you're using a ton of data, they may look into it, and then discover you're tethering. But you'd have to be burning through quite a bit to warrant individual attention I imagine.

If you're not a heavy data user and rarely tether, you'll be fine.

I tested this too. I used 4.5.573 leak for a few days w/out the TBH updated. It indeed showed on my Verizon account as data usage. Although, I don't see where they break down the data usage for tether/hotspot vs regular phone data usage. Also, I have a couple buddies who work for Verizon. They said they have no way of distiguishing where data usage is coming from, unless you specifically subscibe to hotspot. Anyway, after a few days I added TBH and went into my account. It was no longer adding data when I tethered.

If you are going to tether, you need to have the TBH update. It works.

WillMiii
04-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Just use this app:

I downloaded this app. Can Verizon track my tethering from this app?

Gingerbread: not just a x-mas treat!

mikeinrichmond
04-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I downloaded this app. Can Verizon track my tethering from this app?

Since we really don't know what their capabilities are, I'd be a bit cautious in this area. But then again, I've only heard of some 100gb/month users getting kicked off, and no one receiving letters yet like the iPhone folks received from AT&T, so it sounds like we may have some freedom in this area...all guesswork on my part however...

WillMiii
04-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Do you recommend using the built in mobile hotspot or tethering apps?

Getsome122
04-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Bluetooth tether if you can....

DX- rooted, overclocked, unthrottled, and running whatever ROM i felt like for today.
Twitter: Getsome_122

mikeinrichmond
04-16-2011, 08:54 PM
The TBH 3G hotspot hack has been unpatched from the new .588 GB, so that one won't work..

WillMiii
04-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Just thought I would give the heads up. I downloaded above wifi tether and the tbh tethering patch. I was able to connect my wifes ipod. It started up the 3g hotspot app but when I clicked to configure it, it stated an error which didn't allow it to connect. Prior to I was forwarded to a Verizon website to pay for tethering. Thought I would give the heads up that you can use the patch on rooted gb to wifi tether.