PDA

View Full Version : Verizon smartphones consume 25% more data than iPhones, according to study

wuyanks
07-30-2010, 01:37 PM
http://i30.tinypic.com/npi6ia.jpg

Both AT&T and Verizon have recently been expressing woes that their smartphone users consume too much data. As such, AT&T has already imposed tiered-data plans to its 3G customers. And many ultimately believe that by the time LTE rolls out (mid-November is our best guess), Verizon will do just the same. So how much data are Verizon and AT&T customers really consuming? Is it such an outlandish figure that would eventually bring these networks to their knees? And finally, how does Verizon smartphone customers compare to iPhone users in data consumption?

Validas (http://blog.myvalidas.com/index.php/2010/07/verizon-wireless-smartphones-consume-more-data-than-iphones//), an independent research firm, tackled these questions in their latest survey of the four major carriers. Between 2009 and 2010, the amount of data users went up from 42% to 53%. Also, the average data usage went up from 96.8 MB to 145.8 MB. Verizon Wireless customers showed the largest percentage increase in data usage, from 48.2MB to 147.2 MB per user. And the amount of data users increased from 33.4% to 42.9%. On the other hand, AT&T led the four major carriers with 71% of users consuming data, up from 58.4% last year; the average AT&T user consumed 149.6 MB per month.

So that's for all phones in general. What about smartphones, specifically? Validas discovered that Verizon smartphone users on average "are consuming more wireless data than AT&T iPhones by a ratio of roughly 1.25:1." Real world values have the average Verizon smartphone user consuming 421 MB, as opposed to iPhone users averaging 338 MB, per month. Also, "nearly twice as many Verizon Wireless smartphone users are consuming 500MB to 1GB per month compared to AT&T iPhone users." Verizon, are you really crying over the fact that the average user consumes 421 MB per month? Give me a break.

So, in conclusion, Verizon Wireless smartphone users consume 25% more data on average than their iPhone counterparts. What does this signify? AT&T users rely more on WiFi because of reception issues? Verizon users tend to stream media more often? We can't say for sure. What we can say, that Verizon Wireless will surely use figures such as these to validate a move to tiered data pricing.

via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/30/validas-study-finds-verizon-smartphones-consuming-more-data-than/)
source Validas (http://blog.myvalidas.com/index.php/2010/07/verizon-wireless-smartphones-consume-more-data-than-iphones//)

Image courtesy of Mobile Tech World (http://www.mobiletechworld.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/droidx-vs-iphone4-front.jpg)

05evors
07-30-2010, 11:45 PM
opinion: ATTW users use less data on average b/c a huge chunk of ipho users just have it as a style issue (me too!) and do not even know how to use half of the phone. So many people have an iphone and never use it due to the owner being underqualified to be on ANY smartphone for that matter. The phone is so over-hyped that the wrong customer is carrying the device.

Back in the Palm Treo wars of '05-'06 this was also the case (before data plans were mandatory and people opted to block or no use it)

VZW smartphone users actually use their capabilities b/c they get better indoor coverage where most web browsing takes place.

DoctorOta
07-31-2010, 02:26 AM
I will agree with the above statement. I have a friend who bought the iPhone just because it looks cool, doesn't use it for apps or internet just because it's a nice looking phone and it's the hot thing on AT&T. As for verizon like stated anyone who owns an android device tends to use it to it's full advantage more often than not compared to AT&T users. The fact that verizon is a larger phone company with more people using it's services could have something to do with that too.

Trash Can
07-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Personal opinion here, but I think AT&T problems are both network overload as well as reception. And the problems continue to grow with the rollout of iPad 3G and iPhone 4. There were many times that I wanted to use my iPhone's data functions but couldn't, even when I had full bars 3G. Kept getting the "spinning gear".

My X has performed superbly everywhere I've been so far, including places where my 3G was useless in terms of reception and/or network overload. I'm extremely happy that I switched! :)

C-had
07-31-2010, 10:27 AM
I agree I have yet to drop a call on my X, or had trouble getting data. I been with Verizon for 3 years now and I would say I had maybe 10 dropped calls total but that was in rural areas where I had little or no signal at all. I had ATT before Verizon and I had dropped calls like crazy even with full signal. I for one noticed a huge difference when switching and the customer service was a nice bonus.

Mitch13
07-31-2010, 05:15 PM
More data usage from verizon because more people probably have verizon cause its better... and actually use there phones like droids and etc...
unlike ATT they have the iphone for looks which is going out now.