PDA

View Full Version : Where to start

Zantar6
04-01-2011, 12:19 PM
This may be a silly question that I am just not seeing an answer to, but where does one start to get rooted gingerbread?
I currently have 2.2.1 Liberty 1.5 but I'm seeing multiple methods and too many terms lol. I've read the warnings thread and barely understand it. I think the path is sbf to stock with some special file, then flash some special 2.3.3 file, maybe it should be deodexed, then i root it by installing another file, then realize that's probably not even close to what i'm supposed to do. Is that about right?

macpro88
04-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Check out my stickied thread on Rooted Gingerbread, it gives clear instructions on how to go about installing rooted GB.

macpro88
04-01-2011, 12:54 PM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/22346-root-android-2-3-gingerbread.html

Here you go, read the OP throughly.

Zantar6
04-01-2011, 01:52 PM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/22346-root-android-2-3-gingerbread.html

Here you go, read the OP throughly.

THANK YOU! I saw like 5 different GB posts and didn't which was was the actual start point from 2.2.1 Rom.

SVDroidDude
04-01-2011, 03:06 PM
This may be a silly question that I am just not seeing an answer to, but where does one start to get rooted gingerbread?
I currently have 2.2.1 Liberty 1.5 but I'm seeing multiple methods and too many terms lol. I've read the warnings thread and barely understand it. I think the path is sbf to stock with some special file, then flash some special 2.3.3 file, maybe it should be deodexed, then i root it by installing another file, then realize that's probably not even close to what i'm supposed to do. Is that about right?

BUT, before you do that make sure you SBF the BFD....and you'll then back up the WTF. Hold the volume up and down at the same time, stand on your head...do a 360 while pushing the menu button. If that doesn't work, FLASH the deodex hex tex mex from Maederstock's black hat....make sense?

Zantar6
04-01-2011, 11:05 PM
BUT, before you do that make sure you SBF the BFD....and you'll then back up the WTF. Hold the volume up and down at the same time, stand on your head...do a 360 while pushing the menu button. If that doesn't work, FLASH the deodex hex tex mex from Maederstock's black hat....make sense? This is actually exactly what was going through my mind when i started this stuff. Then i had to do hand olympics to put in bootloader mode and stick stuff in my phone where i had no clue it even existed, realizing at the same time i could possibly brick my phone by missing a wipe or something.

SVDroidDude
04-02-2011, 12:18 PM
This is actually exactly what was going through my mind when i started this stuff. Then i had to do hand olympics to put in bootloader mode and stick stuff in my phone where i had no clue it even existed, realizing at the same time i could possibly brick my phone by missing a wipe or something.

From what I've gathered I think it is very hard to actually brick your phone BUT you could end up spending many hours trying to get it functional again. The guys here on the site are very helpful for sure and this stuff comes second nature. For us mere mortals it isn't. When I try something that is out of my element I always plan for the worst case scenario, and even though I likely would not do permanent damage to my phone I just don't have the time to waste IF something does go wrong.